The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 June 2024, 01:03 AM   #61
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post
If a Richard Mille is $2million, and a Rolex is $20,000, and my 30year old Tag Heuer, cost me about $100, and they all keep the same time. I doubt it's the accuracy or reliability that that motivates buyers.
Exactly many buy hype to wear it,and also true today many wear the brand name not the watch.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2024, 01:38 AM   #62
Nova1
"TRF" Member

The difference is that feeling of superiority you get when wearing a Rolex. It doesn’t come with the Seiko.
Nova1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2024, 01:44 AM   #63
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova1 View Post
The difference is that feeling of superiority you get when wearing a Rolex. It doesn’t come with the Seiko.
Superiority to others, lol?
Old 28 June 2024, 01:50 AM   #64
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova1 View Post
Well speaking for myself did not feel any superiority wearing my Rolex 16600 SD or my Citizen Aqualand 11.Both just then working tools underwater what they were designed for.But the Citizen watch gave far more dive information than the simple time lapse bezel on my SD.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2024, 02:29 AM   #65
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
According to renowned Rolex expert and author James Dowling, it was the worldwide introduction of the very affordable Seiko 5 series (water resistant, day/date/automatic, etc) in the 1960s that first heralded the demise of many Swiss brands, not the so-called quartz revolution of the 1970s.
Still hear random stories of people finding their dad or grandpa's Seiko 5 in the drawer, shaking it up, and it starting right up.

And the irony is these watches were meant to not even be serviced but just replaced if they died, except they don't seem to die.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2024, 02:34 AM   #66
Edgeworth
"TRF" Member

Seiko 7S and 4R are absolute dogsh!t movements. I love Seiko for what is but it’s in a totally different world than Rolex
Edgeworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2024, 04:12 AM   #67
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dark knight View Post
Still hear random stories of people finding their dad or grandpa's Seiko 5 in the drawer, shaking it up, and it starting right up.

And the irony is these watches were meant to not even be serviced but just replaced if they died, except they don't seem to die.
My father passed last year and that exact scenario happened to me. His Seiko 5, unworn for the past 15 years, never serviced (mid 90s model). Started right up…

But I had to do some work on it (remove movement to re-attach the date frame). Also, it runs about 5 mins fast per day.

Will never part with it, of course.
BraveBold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2024, 05:21 AM   #68
BBRAYS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Can't compare a Rolex with a Seiko, as literally everything that makes a watch a watch will be superior with a Rolex.

The apt comparison is probably Grand Seiko's mechanical watches. Rolex movements are finished better, generally thinner, and much better timekeeping. The only exception are the newer HB movements, which are finished better and look nicer than Rolex movements but still generally don't match the accuracy of +-2s/d.

Rolex's bracelets are also superior, again, literally everything that makes a bracelet a bracelet, Rolex has the advantage.

Grand Seiko does a better job with cases. Better brushing and esp polishing (Zaratsu), although I personally think the latter is a tad overrated. The polishing work is better than anything in its price range, yes. But people like to say it has the fit/finish of a Patek or similar, which is ridiculous. GS polishes to a spit shine for the sake of polishing. The higher end watches polish/brush to a standard not to show off but rather to fit the overall flow of the watch design.

GS's finishing on its hands are superior to Rolex, and the dials are much more intricate/unique.
Well said!
BBRAYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2024, 06:28 AM   #69
RolexRog
"TRF" Member

We have a Rolex shop in the mall, and the salesman was gushing about the Grand Seiko.

I just took a look, and they don't really do anything for me. But then again, I wouldn't wear most Rolex watches either. I know the Rolex "sports" models are very popular, but to me they look ridiculous - I would never wear something like that. Give me a Day/Date, Datejust, Zephyr, Oyster perpetual ANY day!! Those are the Rolex I love. I also have a speedking which I love.
RolexRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2024, 07:32 AM   #70
TheMethod
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, GS, JLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveBold View Post
Yes, I own GS. Multiple.

I stand by what I said. The quality (build (fit/tolerances), mechanicals (durability/accuracy/longevity) are superior in Rolex. The case polishing approach is different between the two brands. The dial finishing on GS is crisper / superior. The crown’s action alone conveys much of the above characteristics to me. Service interval is longer for Rolex, despite higher movement accuracy. Rolex bracelets are superior in all ways. Rolex bracelet fitment to the case is also superior.

I love Grand Seiko and the dials are stunning. To me the value for money is solid but I think exaggerated. Different design objectives, sure, but “quality” - to me Rolex wins handily.
A few years ago I saw the Spring Drive 5 Days versions of the Grand Seiko SLGA021 (White Birch and Lake Suwa) and I was very impressed. The dials were mesmerizing, definitely a superior finish than Rolex and the sweeping 60-second hand was so buttery smooth https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVoRoK1u3Dg . I prefer Rolex's bracelets though, I'm not a fan of the Grand Seiko bracelet. I became a fan of Grand Seiko after that and purchased the White Birch.
TheMethod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2024, 07:33 AM   #71
Toptimes
"TRF" Member

Rolex typically excels in terms of craftsmanship, materials, movement technology, and brand prestige. Seiko offers excellent value, reliability, and innovation at its respective price points, making it a popular choice.
Toptimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2024, 09:53 PM   #72
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMethod View Post
A few years ago I saw the Spring Drive 5 Days versions of the Grand Seiko SLGA021 (White Birch and Lake Suwa) and I was very impressed. The dials were mesmerizing, definitely a superior finish than Rolex and the sweeping 60-second hand was so buttery smooth https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVoRoK1u3Dg . I prefer Rolex's bracelets though, I'm not a fan of the Grand Seiko bracelet. I became a fan of Grand Seiko after that and purchased the White Birch.
From the comment section:

Swiss watches are basically jewelry that tell the time fairly accurately, this is a work of art that tells time precisely.
Old 29 June 2024, 08:01 PM   #73
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexRog View Post
What is the difference in quality between a Rolex automatic, like an Air King and a Seiko Sportsmatic?

Thank you for your kind consideration.
If the difference isn't really apparent, why ruin it for yourself ? Save tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars....buy a Seiko and avoid reading the forums.

The short version is that in general Rolex is twice as good at 15 times the price.l
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2024, 08:08 PM   #74
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexRog View Post
What is the difference in quality between a Rolex automatic, like an Air King and a Seiko Sportsmatic?

Thank you for your kind consideration.

Rolex quality transcend the quality of its parts.
It’s the perfect synonym to Aristotle’s “the whole is greater than the sum of its parts” quote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29 June 2024, 08:57 PM   #75
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II Evr, SUB
Quote:
Originally Posted by old expat beast View Post
check this out if you want to know more about seiko dominance over the swiss watch industry in the late 1960s. It's quite interesting

seiko at astronomical observatory chronometer competitions - or - how the swiss lost their honor

https://youtu.be/ayut5wfkhra?si=8tyt3j7nyriir7nd
por-sha 911
911991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2024, 08:58 PM   #76
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II Evr, SUB
Quote:
Originally Posted by amphr1 View Post
like comparing a toyota camry to a porsch 911, a hot dog to prime ribs, a flip phone to an iphone.

Sent from my sm-s918u1 using tapatalk
por-sha 911
911991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2024, 09:47 PM   #77
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by East of Eden View Post
From the comment section:

Swiss watches are basically jewelry that tell the time fairly accurately, this is a work of art that tells time precisely.
Yeah, because it is quartz regulated lol.

The spring drive is very cool, but it is a hybrid solution.

I have a hybrid watch - a Tag Heuer calibre S. Very cool chrono with a 99 year perpetual calendar. Would be a stunning achievement except… it relies on a quartz.
Old 29 June 2024, 10:31 PM   #78
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah, because it is quartz regulated lol.

The spring drive is very cool, but it is a hybrid solution.

I have a hybrid watch - a Tag Heuer calibre S. Very cool chrono with a 99 year perpetual calendar. Would be a stunning achievement except… it relies on a quartz.
If it’s a quartz watch what are all those parts under the back display window?

Yes, it is somewhat of a hybrid, I have no issue with that, no 32xx problems to deal with.

If Rolex had invented the Spring Drive the fanboys would be singing it’s praises.
Old 29 June 2024, 11:24 PM   #79
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
If the difference isn't really apparent, why ruin it for yourself ? Save tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars....buy a Seiko and avoid reading the forums.

The short version is that in general Rolex is twice as good at 15 times the price.l
Bravo!
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2024, 01:36 AM   #80
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of Eden View Post
If it’s a quartz watch what are all those parts under the back display window?

Yes, it is somewhat of a hybrid, I have no issue with that, no 32xx problems to deal with.

If Rolex had invented the Spring Drive the fanboys would be singing it’s praises.
The Spring Drive is basically a mechanical watch with a computer controlled quartz regulator. In the circuit board (that they carefully hide in the movement) you see the quartz crystal in the top right, the long cylinder, the square is the custom ASIC that does the regulation by magnetic breaking. Everything is powered by induction.

You can read all about it on Seikos webpage, it is clear and well written, I recommend it!
https://www.grand-seiko.com/us-en/co...nt/springdrive
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mechanism_img_02.jpg (43.5 KB, 89 views)
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2024, 01:59 AM   #81
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
The Spring Drive is basically a mechanical watch with a computer controlled quartz regulator. In the circuit board (that they carefully hide in the movement) you see the quartz crystal in the top right, the long cylinder, the square is the custom ASIC that does the regulation by magnetic breaking. Everything is powered by induction.

You can read all about it on Seikos webpage, it is clear and well written, I recommend it!
Exactly.

Still a great movement but not mechanically regulated.

Mechanical vs mechanical, Rolex movements are superior.
Old 30 June 2024, 03:58 AM   #82
rmwill
2024 Pledge Member

OP's posterior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
Source?
Rolex Explorer II 226570 Polar
Omega Moonwatch Sapphire Sandwich
Panerai PAM00111

2 Factor Authentication
rmwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2024, 08:21 AM   #83
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post

Very well put

Maybe 3 times better put together in ways that are not necessarily obvious until one looks very closely at, then winds them, also set the time and really asses the bracelets and clasps.
Perhaps there's an element of the classic case of diminishing returns at play here as the modern Rolex is turned out extrememly well throughout that earns a price premium.
But the hype is a major factor in the modern era which contributes to the price
Material specification is arguably better on the Rolex even if it's not appreciated right down to the Ceramic inset bushes hidden in there where the links are screwed together.
Then there's the Rolex dealership/boutique experience at point of sale and most importantly the aftersales care through a world wide service network that Seiko probably can't ever come close to even with Grand Seiko.

As mentioned by others.
A Seiko is more along the lines of a good honest value proposition that has a certain element of planed obsolesence about it, but good value for money.
Where as a Rolex is justifyably expected to be much more than a mere timepiece for the lifetime of the entire depth and breadth of the ownership experience. A faithful life companion that's very well supported by the mothership and there's a premium admission price to gain access to that type of club.
Value for money is hard to gauge.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2024, 08:29 AM   #84
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post

Correct
A Spring drive is Quartz regulated regardless of the power source whether it be mechanical or a battery.
A true mechanical watch has a mechanical escapement where the escape wheel is subjected to a locking and unlocking action.
Old 30 June 2024, 08:35 AM   #85
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toptimes View Post
Rolex typically excels in terms of craftsmanship, materials, movement technology, and brand prestige. Seiko offers excellent value, reliability, and innovation at its respective price points, making it a popular choice.
True enough.
But i wonder where Seiko are headed in terms of price
Maybe i'm losing touch with regard to inflation but the price of Seiko and Grand Seiko are pushing the envelope a bit and it's not unlike all the other brands.

Maybe i'm nearing my absolute fill of watches in my collection and starting to look at them through different eyes
Old 30 June 2024, 08:49 AM   #86
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That watch obviously has an issue, which can happen.

All I can say is all my post 2015 (or whenever the superlative guarantee came in) Rolexes have run +-2s/day.
Funny thing.
Both of my Superlative Rolex watches run the worst out of any that came before them except my 5513 which was my gateway Rolex from way back in the day.
My current watches are still within the Superlative tolerance, but the others that were COSC were much much better.
But i'm still very happy with them.
Old 30 June 2024, 08:56 AM   #87
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, I own GS. Multiple.

I stand by what I said. The quality (build (fit/tolerances), mechanicals (durability/accuracy/longevity) are superior in Rolex. The case polishing approach is different between the two brands. The dial finishing on GS is crisper / superior. The crown’s action alone conveys much of the above characteristics to me. Service interval is longer for Rolex, despite higher movement accuracy. Rolex bracelets are superior in all ways. Rolex bracelet fitment to the case is also superior.

I love Grand Seiko and the dials are stunning. To me the value for money is solid but I think exaggerated. Different design objectives, sure, but “quality” - to me Rolex wins handily.
I most agree and can't argue with your sentiments, but i think that maybe they are on a par just different. At least from my experience, but i only have one GS on a strap as my dedicated dress watch.
Modern Rolex bracelets are awsome from the Oyster through to the President.
Old 30 June 2024, 11:34 AM   #88
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
True enough.
But i wonder where Seiko are headed in terms of price
Maybe i'm losing touch with regard to inflation but the price of Seiko and Grand Seiko are pushing the envelope a bit and it's not unlike all the other brands.
GS can be had for about $3,500 shipped from Japan
Old 30 June 2024, 06:33 PM   #89
geoach
"TRF" Member

Watch: one I'm wearing
don't mention brands............rather have Swiss made watch than Japanese made....reputation is well earned
geoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2024, 09:56 PM   #90
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoach View Post
don't mention brands............rather have Swiss made watch than Japanese made....reputation is well earned
Didn’t they rig the whole COSC thing so that no non-Swiss watch maker could qualify?