The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 July 2018, 04:47 AM   #61
faaaaaaaasterrrrr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Another One?
I don't fault ADs for pulling this nonsense as it's what the market dictates. I hope they don't fault me for going to the grey market for my next purchase...
faaaaaaaasterrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 05:00 AM   #62
Fujiman
Banned

Well, between the designs of most of their current generation of watches, their marketing strategy, and aloofness to what their authorized dealers are doing, I will never buy a new Rolex again although I bought three over the years from their ADs.
Fujiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 05:08 AM   #63
deltabravo786
Banned

Its really infuriating what's going on in the market. I don't buy the "increased demand" BS!
If they can produce tons of useless datejusts, they can produce other steel watches that people ACTUALLY WANT!

I seriously think dealers are making higher margins by selling these steel watches to grey market dealers, above retail, who in return charge ridiculous money to us OR these dealers are using scarcity to sell us other low demand models that they usually sit on!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
deltabravo786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 12:53 PM   #64
coralfarmer84
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltabravo786 View Post
Its really infuriating what's going on in the market. I don't buy the "increased demand" BS!
If they can produce tons of useless datejusts, they can produce other steel watches that people ACTUALLY WANT!

I seriously think dealers are making higher margins by selling these steel watches to grey market dealers, above retail, who in return charge ridiculous money to us OR these dealers are using scarcity to sell us other low demand models that they usually sit on!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
This! No way they are leaving 8k on the table for every SS Daytona they sell. Either they have an alias as a grey themselves or are indeed selling direct to them at a premium. I can’t even get an AD to sell me a daytona at msrp paired with another 30k gold watch. Flat out won’t do it! That’s a 43k sale they aren’t even interested in
Old 12 July 2018, 01:08 PM   #65
Flyfisher
"TRF" Member

Rolex can pound sand.

I'll spend my watch money on other interests.
Flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 01:53 PM   #66
op90no2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltabravo786 View Post
Datejusts are useless. People who buy Datejusts are losers.

I hate myself. I hate my Datejust.

I'm gonna eat some worms now.

Edit: I just have to laugh and laugh and LAUGH at people who are genuinely angry because they can't buy the Rolex they think they want. Sheesh. It's just a watch.
op90no2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 02:04 PM   #67
GB-man
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Welcome to the layer cake son.
Old 12 July 2018, 02:24 PM   #68
op90no2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Welcome to the layer cake son.
I shouldn't say this. But I am a glutton for punishment. So...

I guess Rolex has done such a good job of convincing people that owning a Rolex makes them important, now people think they actually DESERVE a Rolex.

Or something like that.

Rolex knows what they are doing. If you could buy any Rolex model for what the things are actually worth, nobody would want to own them.

This shortage and all these games just make the product more desirable.

I like the watches, enjoy wearing my useless Datejust. Might buy another Rolex one day. Maybe an Explorer 1 or an OP. Personally, I don't really like most Rolex models. They're fine, but whatever. The Submariner is kinda nice, I guess. I see shleps wearing Submariners on the train all the time. I'm a shlep, too, but I wanna pretend I'm better than the average shlep.

This shortage thing will work itself out eventually. Rolex is smart, not overextending itself in what may turn out to be a market bubble. The shortage drives hype and, with luck, benefits them over the long haul.

There's like ten jillion luxury watch brands out there. The mature enthusiast says to himself, "Self, Rolex is in this for Rolex, not for me. Patience is a virtue. If Rolex doesn't want to sell me a watch, I'll find another watch to buy. Or I'll be satisfied for the time being with the seventeen watches I already own."

The real problem here isn't Rolex. It's all the bloody people who want to own Rolexes. You do not want to own a Rolex if everyone and his brother has one.

So chill out. Seriously.
op90no2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 02:26 PM   #69
Fitz The Barber
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
My AD plays ZERO games. I get any watch I want time and time again. Except Daytona.
Fitz The Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 02:41 PM   #70
Fujiman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by op90no2 View Post
I shouldn't say this. But I am a glutton for punishment. So...

I guess Rolex has done such a good job of convincing people that owning a Rolex makes them important, now people think they actually DESERVE a Rolex.

Or something like that.

Rolex knows what they are doing. If you could buy any Rolex model for what the things are actually worth, nobody would want to own them.

This shortage and all these games just make the product more desirable.

I like the watches, enjoy wearing my useless Datejust. Might buy another Rolex one day. Maybe an Explorer 1 or an OP. Personally, I don't really like most Rolex models. They're fine, but whatever. The Submariner is kinda nice, I guess. I see shleps wearing Submariners on the train all the time. I'm a shlep, too, but I wanna pretend I'm better than the average shlep.

This shortage thing will work itself out eventually. Rolex is smart, not overextending itself in what may turn out to be a market bubble. The shortage drives hype and, with luck, benefits them over the long haul.

There's like ten jillion luxury watch brands out there. The mature enthusiast says to himself, "Self, Rolex is in this for Rolex, not for me. Patience is a virtue. If Rolex doesn't want to sell me a watch, I'll find another watch to buy. Or I'll be satisfied for the time being with the seventeen watches I already own."

The real problem here isn't Rolex. It's all the bloody people who want to own Rolexes. You do not want to own a Rolex if everyone and his brother has one.

So chill out. Seriously.
Well said. I have to say, I was once a fanboy but the whole Rolex thing is becoming a bit distasteful to me to the point where I'm not enjoying mine as much as I once did.
Fujiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ad experience , bundling