The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 September 2023, 04:22 AM   #61
GRabens
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too Many Rolex!
I currently own 6 of what I would consider "high-end" watches. Two Rolex, Three Breitling, and One Omega. I've had the collection up to 7 at one point and down sized for the same reasons mentioned previously. Too many watches to get regular wear time. I currently own 4 watch models that have been sold and bought at least twice. I guess you would call that sellers remorse. Funny thing is I have not worn the re-purchased watches as much as I thought I would have when I re-purchased them. Go figure. In my mind, there will always be a favorite #1 and least favorite (last one) if I were to rank the pieces of my collection at any given point in time. I think it is easier to move one or more of the bottom ranking pieces if they are not getting worn. I think any more than 7 (more than 1 per day of the week) would be too many for me. My issue is I would love to own more than I do, but it doesn't make sense financially for me. Right now, I'm considering consolidating 2 to 4 pieces to upgrade to 1 for a total collection of 3. I guess this is the dilemma of a WIS! lol
GRabens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2023, 04:42 AM   #62
Guppydriver
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
For me six works well. I'd like have no more than eight.

I have two that don't have heaps of wear time, but I love them.

One is a rendition of the first "luxury watch" I bought (300m), so I'm going to keep it.

One is an Oris that my wife saved to get me during tough financial times. She literally would sell home made things in ETSY just to save. She gave me a card in which she wrote, "Time with you is the most precious gift I've ever received, here is a gift that honors and measures the time we have together" It's not the nicest watch in the world, but it's going nowhere.

My GS SBGM221 is my tweener. I love the dial. It's my only Japanese piece. However, it's not really a dress watch and it's certainly no tool watch being only splash resistant. I LOVE to stare at it, but I never find the space to wear it.

The rest are Divers and GMT's. I know I want to add a Sub, ExpII, and a Glashutte. That will be it for me.
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2023, 04:54 AM   #63
cdmorenot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
At one point I had about 12 watches. After many years of trying to find the "right" number, I settled on 8 watches and I am very happy at that number. They all get wrist time and I always have my "go to" for every occasion.

3 Rolex
2 Seiko
2 Casio
1 Omega

The only watch that I do not have is a dedicated "dress watch" but I normally do not wear a watch when I'm wearing a tux.
Old 13 September 2023, 04:57 AM   #64
cdmorenot

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post

One is an Oris that my wife saved to get me during tough financial times. She literally would sell home made things in ETSY just to save. She gave me a card in which she wrote, "Time with you is the most precious gift I've ever received, here is a gift that honors and measures the time we have together" It's not the nicest watch in the world, but it's going nowhere.

Such a beautiful gesture. Never let go of that piece... How in the world did she go for Oris though?! I feel like it is such a true "WIS" brand<3
Old 13 September 2023, 05:19 AM   #65
WilsonCQB1911
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gab27 View Post
For me, 1. The Submariner checks all of the boxes and works for me in every situation.

This is where I'm at. I feel like I'm the opposite of most here in that I have a desire to buy more watches but everytime I get close to pulling that trigger I realize I wouldn't wear it and wouldn't take my Sub off for long for it. It's my ideal watch.

I do own my dad's old Speedy and GMT1. The GMT I love and I try to wear it occasionally but it's really the Sub for me.

Having to keep multiple watches wound and worrying about a rotation seems like it would suck the fun out of it. Sounds like a job.
WilsonCQB1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2023, 05:33 AM   #66
JTL31

I currently have 8 which is the most I’ve ever owned at one time. I see myself eventually getting down to 3-4 but am in no rush to do so. For the longest time (decades actually) I had 2 and was happy as a clam, then I joined TRF and the genie was released from the lamp.
I wear them all for different occasions. For me, my current spendy ones are the discontinued white OP, BB58, & Oris Upcycle. I sold 2 Rolex recently to help renovate a newly acquired Condo and buy a 2024 Suburu Crosstrek. When I sold them back to the AD, I said it pains me to say, it’s just a watch! Lol. But that’s my new reality, as priorities & tastes have changed.
JTL31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2023, 12:34 PM   #67
Pandos
"TRF" Member

Currently 4, but happy to go to 6 or 7. Not one for every day kind of thing, more so there's certain watches/brands that I feel like need representation in the collection (Grand Seiko for one).

Unfortunately Rolex makes so many desirable watches, could easily hit that 6 or 7 with Rolex only.
Pandos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2023, 12:38 PM   #68
al7391z
"TRF" Member

Six Rolex all in rotation + One G-Shock
al7391z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2023, 01:06 PM   #69
gwmaan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Spidery 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobber76 View Post
I am going through the same thing, Brian. Whether it's watches, Bourbon, or any other hobby/fad/craving, you get caught up in the hunt and realize after a while you have more than you could ever NEED. You tell yourself you bought these things to share with your family and friends, but I've realized in large part it was about me.
I have started to thin out these collections, I'm feeling good about it.
I had the same situation several years ago with vintage and boutique guitars. Enjoyed the process for many years but accumulated waaaaaay too many and realized one day that there wasn't a lot of point to it. Starting the selling process was challenging but once it got going, it was pretty therapeutic. I'm left with 4-5 that punch all the right buttons and that chapter is pretty well closed.

I have 10 watches - 6 Rolexes, a couple of vintage Omega dress watches, and a couple others with sentimental value. But about 80% of the time, I'm wearing one of two from the 1980s - a 5513 and a 16030 Buckley. I'm pretty close to selling a couple of the others because it's beginning to feel like Guitarville all over again ...
gwmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2023, 08:00 PM   #70
cotway
Banned

Watch: Zeitwerk Date
I wear all 6 watches in my collection…pics below…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cotway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2023, 01:16 AM   #71
rohada
"TRF" Member

4, rotate at beginning of each new month in the same order throughout the year. If a watch gets added or deleted, I continue on with the same practice.
Old 14 September 2023, 01:51 AM   #72
RaZCaL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500,116610,VCO
10 but I only wear about 5 frequently in my rotation. Others are not appropriate for the occasions since they are dressier or precious metal pieces. Then there are a few I do not wear at all because I grew out of it. I cannot sell them because they have sentimental values. I would feel bad if i sold/trade them and my wife would probably kill me.

I believe 3-5 watches are the sweet spots. Anything more just collects dust. I rather consolidate into bigger pieces.
RaZCaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2023, 02:40 AM   #73
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Collecting watches and wearing watches do not necessarily correlate. They are different things.
Very true.

I keep 6-7 watches out of the safety deposit box to rotate through at any one time. There is no way I can effectively wear and use all of my watches, but by keeping a handful available, it is manageable. I still want more watches and other pieces even though I have no need or use for them.
Old 14 September 2023, 04:25 AM   #74
the_Hunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
I think up to 14 right now 2-3 likely need to find new homes as I don't wear them often and they don't have a special meaning
Old 14 September 2023, 05:23 AM   #75
Michael T
2024 Pledge Member

Five, yes all of them.
Michael T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2023, 11:37 AM   #76
windingmybusiness
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollieo View Post
How many watches is it practical to have in a collection and actually wear them?

For me, it’s 5.

I have 11 watches, and pretty much there’s a core 4 watches that I wear all the time (at least 2-3 times per week), and one watch I wear at least once every 2-3 weeks. The other 6 watches I almost never wear. Maybe once every 6 months, or even once per year. I feel watches are meant to be worn, makes me think I should finally let these pieces go.

I could have written this…why is it so hard to sell
windingmybusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2023, 11:59 AM   #77
Rolex.Journey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
3-4 seems like a good number. When I had 6 I didn’t really like switching them around. Now I wear one for a week, then rotate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolex.Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2023, 12:05 PM   #78
samsmart
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Tint
9 rolex, 9 panerai, 1 omega, 1 helson

Out of this collection, I have about 4 I truly rotate through.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
samsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2023, 12:15 PM   #79
sofmore
"TRF" Member

I think Submariner checks all boxes, having it is equivalent to having multiple watches
sofmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2023, 03:21 PM   #80
ROLEX MAN

Watch: you? "YES PLEASE"!
4 change weekly.....

it's not just about telling the time...

happy rolexing...

I'm just a man with a passion
ROLEX MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2023, 09:49 PM   #81
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Nice collection.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2023, 09:56 PM   #82
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
3-5. I have had over 10 at times, and that was just a mess (and wasted insurance premiums) for me since I want to have everything in the rotation. I have found 3 to be the ideal number, but I fluctuate between 4-6 watches because I am horribly, horribly addicted to them.
SoylentGreenChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2023, 11:07 PM   #83
DBCooper07
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
This is such a hard question. I'm trying to define my collection. I have watches I wear(4-5) and watches I had to have that I really never wear(10-15) because of a col complication or nostalgia. Like my random collection of Casio calculator watches. I'll put those on when I'm geeking out at a con. But as far as a real daily rotation, I try my other watches and I always got by to by Sub because of the clasp, almost every time. Every watch HAS to have the glide lock system
Old 14 September 2023, 11:10 PM   #84
LC23
"TRF" Member

I have 6 watches and have 4 in rotation weekly
Old 15 September 2023, 03:48 AM   #85
Sundaydriver
Banned

Watch: Seamaster, GMT II
I have 4 and rotate them every 3 months.
Sundaydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2023, 03:53 AM   #86
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
It doesn’t matter HOW many you have. You can wear them all, as infrequently, or as often as you want.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2023, 04:06 AM   #87
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
I could probably be fine with 4. WG Sub or my Hulk, BLRO, Daytona C and a Seiko divers, G-Shock or Timex for true beater duties.

As it stands, I primarily rotate 5 watches from my collection. My WG Submariner is my favorite. The other 4 I rotate are my SS Daytona C, BLRO, Hulk and a Seiko divers. My other Rolex pieces are worn only occasionally.
I don't know if I can articulate it clearly, in a weird way I feel that the 3 stainless pieces are inferior to the WG Sub and at times almost feel obligated to wear one when I would prefer the WG Sub. After I've put on one of the SS pieces, the feeling subsides and I once again appreciate their individual qualities.
I'm queued up for a YG Daytona on OF. It will be interesting to see how my brain reacts to it being in the box to be chosen any given day versus the others.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2023, 04:27 AM   #88
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLEX MAN View Post
4 change weekly.....]
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2023, 04:32 AM   #89
bbombers85
"TRF" Member

Currently at 8 watches (3 rolex, 1 tag, 1 grand seiko, 1 zenith, 1 omega and 1 cartier) and they get wear once every 2 weeks on average. I look forward to going into the watch box every morning and picking one. I don't see myself parting with any, only adding more.
bbombers85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2023, 06:44 AM   #90
pessoa00
"TRF" Member

Currently have 25 and use 20 on rotation. I really like the diversity and have something different to choose everyday.
pessoa00 is offline   Reply With Quote