The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 July 2021, 05:54 AM   #61
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftieUSA View Post
I spoke with store manager and they told me they have very strict policies on sizing watxhes especially Rolex. Rolex provides them with a special tools including a heating machine the loosen adhesive used to secure the screws this prevents any force needed when using screwdrivers to loosen screws in links. They also use a Rolex pad under the watch etc. Asked me if I have a copy of warranty card and he’ll reach out to Rolex and see what they say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A better policy would be only allowing the watchmaker to do them, since s/he wouldn’t need a policy to know how to use those tools.

Was this the manager at the purchase location or sizing location?
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 05:56 AM   #62
Merlin69
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
Incredible... Hope you will get news soon from the store manager.
Old 15 July 2021, 05:56 AM   #63
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Dealer scratched my watch while removing a link

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerbom View Post
That s kinda funny. So they have all this stuff and they still damaged the watch. Now they want to see what Rolex says about their carelessness. I don t have much confidence here but good luck.

Omega boutique gave me the same speech. "We use only proper Swiss Bergeon tools" and I interrupted "you blew the spring bars through the lugs so how does that matter?"

I let my guard down just once more and it happened again. I had already vowed to never allow anyone to size my watches. Shame on me. This was a bracelet swap.
Old 15 July 2021, 06:05 AM   #64
samuel019
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
OMG Brother that is a terrible job.

I never let the A D size my watches BUT in this day and age with sticker removing and sizing etc etc etc I get it.

I tell my A D when I get the opportunity, not often lol, I will size it when I get home.

Just spend a $100 bucks or so and get the proper screwdriver and some springbar pliers. Not that you need necessarily the springbar pliers but watches with the easy link it comes in handy. Just some basic overall tools is my point. Once you get over the nerve of doing it once you will do 1000 times. Nothing to it after the first time.

I'm sure with the right tools even with one hand covering one eye standing on one leg you can do a better job then that hack job.
Old 15 July 2021, 06:16 AM   #65
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II Evr, SUB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
Yes it looks like they adhered to those “strict policies” VERY well.
I agree, what he should say is I will swap the bracelet out from another watch and sorry for the mishap... Then he can wait on RSC.

He is probably hoping that you will give up and go away...
911991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 06:18 AM   #66
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II Evr, SUB
you should also get their admitting to fault and damage to your watch in writing.
911991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 06:33 AM   #67
Annan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233
Quote:
I spoke with store manager and they told me they have very strict policies on sizing watxhes especially Rolex. Rolex provides them with a special tools including a heating machine the loosen adhesive used to secure the screws this prevents any force needed when using screwdrivers to loosen screws in links. They also use a Rolex pad under the watch etc. Asked me if I have a copy of warranty card and he’ll reach out to Rolex and see what they say.

Well......having the special tools is only half. The other half is knowing how to correctly use the special tools.

Not sure why they need your warranty card and what that has to do with anything. I'm also not sure why they have to contact Rolex to see what they have to say.
Old 15 July 2021, 06:44 AM   #68
whiskyrolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
Are you sure that’s the case? First of all, even though a different location is the same merchant from their perspective, no? At the very least a potential chargeback for cost of new bracelet might be possible. But even if it’s viewed as third party, I’m not sure that matters. I’ll give you an example:

A decade ago I had someone smash a window in my car when parking on a San Francisco street. Paid for repair on Amex. A week later, another break-in... same window! Called Amex, told them that I’d used my card to pay for replacement window for my car a week earlier and now the window was shattered. Speculated it was done by a thief but couldn’t say as it was overnight. The rep was skeptical but ultimately covered without incident.
Fom the Amex terms:

NOT COVERED
D. damage to, losing or theft while property is under the temporary care and control of a third party, including common carrier.

The key difference is you did not hand your car over willingly to the vandals.

I do agree with you in that that Amex is typically very good about these things and it is the reason I put all of my expensive purchases on one of their cards with premium purchase protection.
whiskyrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 06:47 AM   #69
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Wow. I do my own stunts for this reason.

That's very unprofessional.
No doubt, need to hang on to this link for the next time I see someone getting berated for sizing their own bracelet. I mean honestly, has any owner ever scratched up their watch worse than this??

Such a shame OP. And how disgusting of a market this has become that, as another user commented above, you'd have to think twice about complaining about such a thing for fear of shooting yourself in the future foot trying to get another watch.
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 06:49 AM   #70
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annan View Post
Well......having the special tools is only half. The other half is knowing how to correctly use the special tools.

Not sure why they need your warranty card and what that has to do with anything. I'm also not sure why they have to contact Rolex to see what they have to say.
Exactly. What is there to discuss with Rolex? Surely it's a simple case of a cack-handed and/or untrained SA showing their complete incompetence with a screwdriver. The AD just needs to step up, take responsibility and sort it out, either by getting RSC to fix it, or replacing the damage parts.... all free of charge.

I've had something similar on two occasions myself. The first time, an AD scratched the underside of the lugs on my brand new Breitling Navitimer as I wanted a croco strap instead of calf leather. I had them send it to Breitling for a re-polish of the lugs (free of charge). The second time, IWC scratched the bezel on my brand new Big Pilot while it was in for a regulation. I sent it straight back, and they re-polished it (again free of charge), called me from Switzerland to apologise in person, AND sent me an IWC branded Swiss Kubik watch-winder.

In both cases (and especially in the case of IWC) the CS was top notch, so let's hope the OP's AD steps up and does the right thing.
Driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 07:02 AM   #71
cerbom
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: rolex AK, GMT, TAG
To the OP er, Not your fault at all but try not to let this take the joy out of life, it s not right, but put in lifes perspective this is minor. I am sympathetic as I am the same way with cars. Then when you give something over for repair and you say, "this item is unscratched and I d like it back the same way" you are a PITA, LOL.

Rolex Airking
Tag Aquaracer
Rolex GMT
cerbom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 07:03 AM   #72
whiskyrolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That s kinda funny. So they have all this stuff and they still damaged the watch. Now they want to see what Rolex says about their carelessness. I don t have much confidence here but good luck.
I can guess what they will say:

Rolex guarantee excludes normal wear-and-tear (notably the wear-and-tear of non-metal bracelets and straps), loss, theft, or damage due to misuse.
whiskyrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 07:09 AM   #73
Frank McKay
"TRF" Member

How can they possibly be that careless handling the watch? who ever is responsible should not be handling watches any longer.
Frank McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 07:40 AM   #74
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
That's how I interpret that response. Very boilerplate language that intentionally avoids accepting any responsibility or committing to any form of solution.

OP, you might want to see how much Rolliworks or LAWW would charge to fix this...
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 07:47 AM   #75
M45
Banned

Quote:

“We only use genuine Porsche parts and Porsche trained technicians.”

*drops car off of lift*
M45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 07:48 AM   #76
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskyrolex View Post
Fom the Amex terms:

NOT COVERED
D. damage to, losing or theft while property is under the temporary care and control of a third party, including common carrier.

The key difference is you did not hand your car over willingly to the vandals.

I do agree with you in that that Amex is typically very good about these things and it is the reason I put all of my expensive purchases on one of their cards with premium purchase protection.
Ah, makes sense. Well, if Amex (or whatever card OP charged to) views LBG as a single "merchant" then a chargeback for the MSRP of a new bracelet (scratched link looks permanent) is another option.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 10:12 AM   #77
Casotakar
"TRF" Member

Damn, that would irritate anyone, sorry to see. I agree, scratches should be put there on your own accord, not a dealer doing a simple fix. The response from the manager sounds like they are now back peddling a bit.

As others said, bergeon 7825 + horofix screw driver + thin yellow scotch tape + your labor = hassle free and fun watch tinkering.

Casotakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 11:32 AM   #78
Oyster_Jubilee
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear about this. It is a bad look for Rolex let alone the dealer. Such a shame on so many levels.
Oyster_Jubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 11:53 AM   #79
Joearch

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
Of course they did. Hate to have them touch my watch unless they have a watch maker.
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 12:13 PM   #80
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

I would have been more angered by this hack trying to get away with gouging your bracelet and then making unprofessional comments. I think I would have said since you have to expect nincompoops to vandalize your property why don't you tell me which car outside is yours. And then I would've ratted her out to her boss.
hambone1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 12:15 PM   #81
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

was this woman a watchmaker or just jewelry peddler?
hambone1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 12:26 PM   #82
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
If they don't come through only one thing to do.

Shame them on social media. Facebook. Instagram. Yelp. Google (especially).

F-'em - that woman's comment was horrible.

Ben
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 12:28 PM   #83
Bozack90
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskyrolex View Post
Any AD worth their salt should have a watchmaker handling these things. I can tell you for sure no sales rep would be sizing any watch at my local AD.
I think it depends on the dealer, of all the ones I have been to none have had an on site watchmaker

for repair work they sent everything out

Bracelet sizing is all handled by the sales associates or managers

The one time I had a watch sized and it was scratched they had a guy in the back who was dedicated to performing bracelet resizing and intaking watches they shipped off for service but that was basically another retail associate

I am hoping with the new boutique in the city open they have some actual on site watchmakers
Bozack90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 01:21 PM   #84
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

That is horrible and I’d blow a gasket
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 01:32 PM   #85
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
That's Not Right! I hope they take responsibility and repair it at the very least.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 01:52 PM   #86
Galaga167
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
Oh. In that case, I'd be asking for a whole new bracelet.

Ask for a new bracelet not just a new clasp.
Galaga167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 01:55 PM   #87
dukie748
"TRF" Member

Totally unacceptable on a $100 watch, let alone a high value timepiece.
dukie748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 03:06 PM   #88
eddiemonster
"TRF" Member

Watch: @tm3machine
I'm sorry to add to your frustration, but OMG that is terrible! He/she even mangled the screw heads! I have sized numerous late model Rolexes and whatever Loc-Tite that might be used is not that difficult to break with a precision screwdriver. I just recently sized my own solid 18K piece (a first for me) and while I was nervous as it's a softer than SS, I left zero blemishes. You just need a quality screwdriver and for good measure, scotch tape.

DOYFvPcQScC9GNVS+yAsRA by tm3machine, on Flickr
eddiemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 03:14 PM   #89
Andad
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Is that screw a bit second hand already?

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 03:32 PM   #90
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
Wow, that's just terrible. And what an appalling response from the woman as well!

This is exactly why I invested long ago in a set of Horofix screwdrivers, some electrical tape for protection from slips, and a bottle of Loctite 222.
Yeap, and I would also get a case and bracelet holder. Makes sizing and changes a breeze.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote