The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 October 2024, 07:49 AM   #61
Zeus1993
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by londondude View Post
Sub Date, Explorer II and two OP’s. Not very high demand pieces but that’s what we wanted. Not saying it’s easy to get a Daytona but a DJ should be pretty easy.
Dang you’re lucky, my ADs are in Florida. So I feel that the market saturated with wealthy older folks who have more money to spend on every piece that is offered to them, unlike myself. I’m going keep playing the game following up etc, I might have to go grey but to me paying over retail for a DJ isn’t worth it to me.
Zeus1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2024, 08:08 AM   #62
londondude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus1993 View Post
Dang you’re lucky, my ADs are in Florida. So I feel that the market saturated with wealthy older folks who have more money to spend on every piece that is offered to them, unlike myself. I’m going keep playing the game following up etc, I might have to go grey but to me paying over retail for a DJ isn’t worth it to me.
Every area has different challenges I think, depending on the demographics and the local economy. In London it was very difficult to get anything after Covid but since last year things have improved a great deal. It’s worth waiting a bit longer before going grey I think, stay in touch with your SA and I’m sure your watch will turn up!
londondude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2024, 08:31 AM   #63
Calatrava r
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Can you elaborate on this? As I don’t understand why people make this statement. ‘I know Rolex dislikes their products being incredibly hyped, talked about worldwide, advertised all over social media as the *it* thing, all for free’.

I actually think the opposite. They LOVE they’re flipped for 2x profit.
Simple answer: deliver more Daytona's and GMTs and the aftermarket prices will drop. People only pay the inflated used prices because they have no chance of buying at retail. Pure supply and demand.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2024, 11:16 AM   #64
dmash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Simple answer: deliver more Daytona's and GMTs and the aftermarket prices will drop. People only pay the inflated used prices because they have no chance of buying at retail. Pure supply and demand.
That’s not what I’m asking. I’m asking why people think Rolex ‘doesn’t like inflated pricing on the secondary and have a problem with it. I think they love it.
136660 Deepsea
336934 Sky-Dweller
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2024, 09:40 PM   #65
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

How many here have tried to help the situation by becoming a Rolex watchmaker.

My sig file applies.

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2024, 02:14 AM   #66
Zach69SS
"TRF" Member

Op, follow up always and consider a different AD to increase your chances, I don’t know which DJ combo you are looking for a smooth bezel DJ should not be hard even with a green dial.

The dial color and bracelet make a difference on availability, most ADs can order you a DJ that’s is the only model they can order for a client and they get a few with every delivery a 3-6 months wait normal.

Best of luck, Happy hunting ,
Zach69SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2024, 04:27 AM   #67
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach69SS View Post
Op, follow up always and consider a different AD to increase your chances, I don’t know which DJ combo you are looking for a smooth bezel DJ should not be hard even with a green dial.

The dial color and bracelet make a difference on availability, most ADs can order you a DJ that’s is the only model they can order for a client and they get a few with every delivery a 3-6 months wait normal.

The ability for ADs to order DJs changes like the wind. Sometimes Rolex allows it, then suddenly puts a stop to the practice. I know that my AD can’t order anything right now.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2024, 02:11 PM   #68
Zeus1993
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach69SS View Post

Sadly, I only have two Ads near me but I’ve been trying to follow up at least every month! The Dj that I want is a white dial with an oyster bracelet. Do you know if Mayors can do orders?
Zeus1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2024, 01:44 AM   #69
spinnaker226
"TRF" Member

I think inventory will continue to improve, but they will always try to run manufacturing as lean as possible to get the best ROI (return on investment). If you think about it, these watches have been selling themselves for years, so if they bump up supply more than demand is calling for, eventually sales will drop off and AD's will have a harder time moving product. Yes, they're in the business of selling watches, but lean manufacturing ensures profitability for the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus1993 View Post
I’m relatively new to the Rolex scene, so I hope I’m not being too naive, but I honestly didn’t expect it to be this challenging to get a watch. I recently graduated and wanted to treat myself to a white smooth bezel Datejust to celebrate my hard work and mark this significant milestone in my life. Back in February, I put my name down at two local authorized dealers, feeling hopeful that the wait wouldn’t be too long. Still I haven’t received an update or really anything regarding the watch I was interested in from my two ADs. I had read that smooth bezel Datejusts weren’t as popular, which gave me optimism about my chances.

However, my experience has been quite different. I just returned from a trip to London, where I visited seven out of eight Rolex ADs, and to my surprise, none of them had the watch I was looking for. In fact, they had very few watches available at all—mostly just a handful of gold pieces that were far outside my budget.

While I know I could explore the gray market, I’m hesitant about going that route. I’ve heard too many stories about issues with authenticity and pricing, and I’d much rather buy directly from an authorized dealer to ensure I’m getting a legitimate product and proper support. I truly didn’t think this process would be so difficult! I’m starting to wonder if the situation will ever improve, or if this is just the new normal in the Rolex market.
spinnaker226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2024, 06:03 AM   #70
gerry100
"TRF" Member

Rolex is basically a "black box",ie we have no knowledge of what goes on inside.

All Ive been able to surmise is their mastery of brand preservation, and that they dont follow the latest trends/fads or economic fluctuations.

One thing I think is missed is the concept of "served market". ie the Rolex market is limited in size, only so many people will ever even entertain paying many $thousands for obsolete timekeeping technology.

Covid/Easy money etc may have pulled a lot of demand forward, which may exacerbate any fall in demand.

Patience will be rewarded (IMHO)
gerry100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2024, 06:08 AM   #71
Barada7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
It’s only a matter of time before people view a Rolex as just another unnecessary piece of jewelry. It’ll keep selling, but its asset days are coming to a close. At least for many models. Daytona, Pepsi, they’ll maintain their desirability.
Barada7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2024, 06:09 AM   #72
Zach69SS
"TRF" Member

Op,

Mayor’s is your problem they are WoS and they don’t care unless you have a good spend history. They have a waiting list from here to the moon and they just don’t care! once you buy this and that maybe? That is what I seen and heard from others.

Yes, they can order any DJ for you, they are a huge outfit, one of the biggest watch dealers in the world for many brands. I don’t think any rules from Rolex apply to WoS that is how big they are.

Sorry. But keep trying with both, and Mayor’s has some DJ regular basis and some other pieces like SD and PM models like WG Sub. for immediate purchase sometimes, what they get in the shipments, that is not allocated, they will never tell you what day it is? The SA will never say ? I think they get in trouble if they call a customer, which makes no sense to me.

KAT, maybe be right also, although WoS does so much business with Rolex that I would find it hard to believe, they can order anything even off catalogue pieces.
Zach69SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2024, 06:09 AM   #73
edyu

I heard from 2 ADs that they've been getting fewer (about 1/2) pieces than before...
Of course take that with a grain of salt.
edyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2024, 11:08 PM   #74
Kiri
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misochew View Post
Totally agree with what you're saying.

However, seeing the 3d renderings of the new factory (it's a campus) It can't all be just to increase productivity and margins of existing production.

...That's a lot of square footage they're adding.

Hodinkee link: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ro...le-switzerland
It also looks like it’s suppose to house the three temp factories they have now. So production may not increase as much as we expect.
Kiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:38 AM   #75
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

“IF” inventory gets better, don’t think people will be as interested in the brand?? I highly doubt it!
Rolex makes good watches but not the best by any stretch of an imagination! Yet it’s one of the top sought after, partly because of the “hunt” which mad not a “status” watch!
Omega arguably beats Rolex in most categories and it’s priced at ~50% an equivelant Rolex model! Yet it doesn’t have the same hype!

Rolex chose the right segment and knows how to keep is “hooked”! Releasing enough to keep hopes up yet not many to make the adrenaline rush fade!!
It’s my $0.02
Old Yesterday, 06:51 AM   #76
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
I think a lot of people are missing the fact that the preowned game is much more fun. I feel the same way with cars. It’s more fun to hunt on the used market and negotiate the best deal you can. Way more fun.
Indeed
Old Yesterday, 08:35 AM   #77
cdm765
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
It has gotten better already. I would expect a bit more with Rolex’s new production facility.

A luxury brand wants some exclusivity to maintain perceived value.
cdm765 is offline   Reply With Quote