The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 19 July 2023, 10:06 PM   #61
wb55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivalas View Post
Now you’ve said that, I’ve just recalled you posting your issue on TZ so I can fully see why you’re not happy. It’s just hassle for you and I think I’d feel the same. It’s probably an issue to sell the ROO and keep an ongoing relationship with AP, so hopefully their pre owned offering is a good solution for you.

As to the blue sky I love mine and if I could only have one Rolex, it would be that. Most versatile and best complication for the money. However we can’t buy and own everything (well some people on here can ) so it’s down to priorities. Hope things pan out for you.

Picked it up last night. You and Gareth nibbling away got the better of me. Zero willpower.

I won’t pollute the thread with the wrong brand further but pretty nice watch and the BLNR will go shortly.
wb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2023, 11:39 PM   #62
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

People here are talking as if OP's wrist is tiny, looks about the size of mine which is 7". And I still think the 38 looks 100x better.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2023, 12:14 AM   #63
vliberman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doyle View Post
Agree with everything you said OP, and I am also done with AP. Have a 15400sr and honestly not interested in one watch companies in general anymore.

ROCs are all too thick. In my view, the ROC should look as elegant as the time and date only ROs as opposed to looking like an offshore almost.

Why is renaud and papi creating movements for RM as opposed to making sure they can achieve the best possible movements for basic ROs and ROCs? Why are they only creating nice movements for the very complicated AP watches? My 15400sr timekeeping is all over the place, regularly 5 minutes early / 3 minutes late after a week of wearing.
Given that AP owns minority stake in RM, perhaps it makes its money that way while selling substandard watches to suckers who don’t qualify for upper echelon of AP or can get RM…AP had issues with offshores at one point which almost destroyed it… perhaps they never learn

I for one turned my attention to MB&Fs and Urwerks of the world, who really care about their customers…
vliberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2023, 12:46 AM   #64
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb55 View Post
Picked it up last night. You and Gareth nibbling away got the better of me. Zero willpower.

I won’t pollute the thread with the wrong brand further but pretty nice watch and the BLNR will go shortly.

Right decision
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2023, 04:43 AM   #65
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

To the OP, I understand what you are getting at. I am a big fan of AP. I have a 7 3/8" wrist, so I can likely wear larger watches then you. However, I would not personally purchase a ROC.

After wearing one and handling it next to the other APs, I find it too thick for how I would wear that particular watch. I love the 43MM ROO, which satisfies the chrono itch for me. Also, the CODE chrono's are REALLY good and comfortable and feel pretty small on the wrist (IMHO).

I really like the 41MM RO sizing, but gravitate toward PM time only or QP for those watches.

Additionally, I don't have much need for a dress watch, let alone a dress watch and a dress chrono. I would go Lange for that anyhow.

In all fairness to AP...almost every single "sport chrono able to be dressed up" I try on feels like too thick outside of the Daytona and CODE. That said...I can't think of the last time I wore a tie and coat and the next time will be either my kids weddings or my funeral.

For me...the thinner ROs paired with a ROO is the ticket.
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2023, 12:51 AM   #66
Mr.GL
"TRF" Member

Thank you for sharing your story. Wish you the best on your watch collection adventure .

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk
Mr.GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2023, 01:18 AM   #67
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:

Right choice Wiley
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2023, 12:07 AM   #68
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
OP, I agree with you that the new ROCs are too thick. I have the previous generation 26331ST and was initially thinking of "upgrading" to the new model with the display caseback and new chrono however after trying it on I was shocked at how much thicker it is compared to the 26331ST.

Consider trading "down" to that generation or even the older 39mm generation.

I love RO but like you I struggle with 41 being a little bigger than i want them to be and the inability to get a 39mm.

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2023, 03:13 AM   #69
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by chows99 View Post
You should know that you are fortunate to be allocated and yet still harbour so much grievances. AP RO is a great model and hope AP recognise that you are a seller eventually.
This is preposterous. First off, we're talking watches. This isn't life and death. To say "fortunate to be allocated" feeds into the utter BS that AP attempts to put would-be customers through and that one should bow down to your SA and the brand as if they somehow control your fate as a human being. They should be kissing your ***, not the other way around.

Second, don't listen to threats about selling a watch. If you don't like it, sell it and move on to something you will enjoy whether that's another AP or some other brand entirely. It's your right and you owe it to yourself and we all make mistakes on watches, trust me. If you think AP is going to invest their time in checking to see if you sold a model that they literally make thousands of and is not what they consider to be an allocation piece, you're misallocating your time and your worry.
Old 22 July 2023, 03:21 AM   #70
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

To the OP - FWIW, I think the watch looks good on you and I wouldn't at all suggest it's too big to the size of noticing. That said, it only really matters what you think.

I agree with others here as well - you chose the wrong model. I don't think you should write off AP because of that. Trust me, there are very good reasons to write off AP, but if they have other offerings that interest you, there are also very good reasons to love AP! :-)

I have a smaller wrist size than you I believe, so I feel your pain. 41mm's just are not good options, but I admit for models such as PCs and Skeletons, who the hell cares! LOL.

I had a 38mm Chrono, and that is really a lovely watch, but I am a Daytona fanboy and at the end of the day, I just didn't enjoy it like I do my Daytonas. That's my tastes though, so I would encourage you to try out the 38mm ROCs and see what you think.

Good luck!
Old 22 July 2023, 05:22 AM   #71
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
This is preposterous. First off, we're talking watches. This isn't life and death. To say "fortunate to be allocated" feeds into the utter BS that AP attempts to put would-be customers through and that one should bow down to your SA and the brand as if they somehow control your fate as a human being. They should be kissing your ***, not the other way around.
I believe it was sarcasm....but you should take your beef up with the watch industry as a whole. Many people have been asked by Rolex ADs, a huge percentage of which are connected to jewelers, to buy their wife some diamond jewelery before they can be allocated a regular old Sub....and Rolex makes over 1,000,000 watches a year vs the 40,000 that someone like AP makes.
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2023, 07:09 AM   #72
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
I believe it was sarcasm....but you should take your beef up with the watch industry as a whole. Many people have been asked by Rolex ADs, a huge percentage of which are connected to jewelers, to buy their wife some diamond jewelery before they can be allocated a regular old Sub....and Rolex makes over 1,000,000 watches a year vs the 40,000 that someone like AP makes.

You’re not wrong. It is a problem across the industry, and the likelihood is it won’t change. Rolex ADs with jewelry are probably the worst offenders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 July 2023, 08:49 AM   #73
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Second, don't listen to threats about selling a watch. If you don't like it, sell it and move on to something you will enjoy whether that's another AP or some other brand entirely. It's your right and you owe it to yourself and we all make mistakes on watches, trust me. If you think AP is going to invest their time in checking to see if you sold a model that they literally make thousands of and is not what they consider to be an allocation piece, you're misallocating your time and your worry.
They absolutely will check. To think they don’t is naive. I agree that one should sell a watch they don’t like, but just be aware of the possible repercussions.
Commandopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2023, 09:33 AM   #74
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
OP, I get it. When it comes to AP, there’s only one model in the lineup I can comfortably wear, and that’s the 37mm RO. I have a fabulous relationship with my boutique and we touch base every few months, but even they have dissuaded me from a Code knowing it’s too big on my wrist (I very much like the Code, but it’s a dinner plate on my wrist). So I have one RO in my collection of mostly Pateks, but I sure love that one RO. I would easily pick it over a Nautilus, and this is coming from a Patek collector. Man, I wish AP did dress watches still. They’ve done some of the best in history.
SoylentGreenChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2023, 10:02 AM   #75
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
Get a 26331 or 26320.
Better watch IMO with right proportions and thickness.
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2023, 04:37 PM   #76
Argo98
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrimontgomery View Post
Then the thickness, it was thick for a luxury chronograph.
I am sorry, but do you really think that 12.4mm is thick for a chronograph?
Argo98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2023, 06:14 PM   #77
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Depends what watch you’re talking about I would think. If it’s one of their rare extremely hard to get watches then I think they would check. If say AP House are only allocated 1 or 2 watches that year and it comes up for sale then yes I believe they will definitely look to find out.

If it’s a steel Royal Oak or an offshore, then they probably won’t invest anytime checking. However if the new owner registers that watch, then surely AP will find out anyway?

Anyone should be able to do whatever they like with their own watches, just like a watch company can sell, or not sell, to whoever they like, so just bare in mind that selling and being found out may result in no more watches. Whether that’s right or wrong, is a different debate.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2023, 07:46 PM   #78
Crown & Shield
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chows99 View Post
You should know that you are fortunate to be allocated and yet still harbour so much grievances. AP RO is a great model and hope AP recognise that you are a seller eventually.
I guess AP is “fortunate” to have clients like you
I had so many reliability issues with their movements over the years that I turned the page, even though I considered the Royal Oak the greatest watch design ever.
Crown & Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2023, 08:51 PM   #79
Sho-nuff
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP │ ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argo98 View Post
It depends what perspective you are looking at this from. Since its release, one of the defining characteristics of the ROC was its thinness, at only 11mm. The elegant profile was unmatched in the industry and set it apart from its competitors for nearly 25 years. The recent increase to 12.4mm certainly makes it thick in comparison. But I can see from an industry standpoint that the current thickness sits squarely in the rest of the pack.
Sho-nuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2023, 09:28 PM   #80
Chelsea1986
"TRF" Member

I had a situation in 2021 where my first ap which was bought from Watchfinder was deemed no help and more of a hinderance and eventually with that conversation changed representatives. I sold that watch at a loss to begin the journey but nothing presented itself and fast forward to February 2023 an opportunity to buy a stunning code 11:59 chrono and I had to grab it. Once again I don't think me buying second hand really helps and nor does it get recognised by the brand but its so difficult to get from ap.
Chelsea1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2023, 11:40 PM   #81
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Quote:
It may not be thick in the grand scheme of thins if you compare to lesser brands or even a ROO but if you compare it prior generations such as the 26331ST it is noticeably thicker. As I mentioned earlier i was looking forward to possibly adding one since it has the new in house flyback movement but after trying it on I decided against it because I find it too thick.

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2023, 11:48 PM   #82
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sho-nuff View Post
It depends what perspective you are looking at this from. Since its release, one of the defining characteristics of the ROC was its thinness, at only 11mm. The elegant profile was unmatched in the industry and set it apart from its competitors for nearly 25 years. The recent increase to 12.4mm certainly makes it thick in comparison. But I can see from an industry standpoint that the current thickness sits squarely in the rest of the pack.
If someone wants to see "thick", they should try the current Overseas chrono. I did for the first time today, and found it somewhat ridiculous. Compared to that even the 26240 is downright svelte.

OTOH, the 222 and Overseas openworked ultra thin QP were really nice.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST // 26715.ST.ZZ || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2023, 01:47 AM   #83
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Quote:
I think that’s the longest multi quote I’ve ever seen

I’m about to send a 9 month old ROO 43 back for service for the 3rd time and am so annoyed that I’ve been thinking about exiting the brand for a few weeks now.

You spend years wanting and saving and when you finally get there it just isn’t what you thought it was. Expectations too high, just wondering if the brand set those expectations or if I did.

Can spend lots more or lots less but ultimately you can’t beat rolex.
I've checked with the boutique. They definitely don't try to reach COSC/METAS. They focus on hand craft and beauty (from the horse's mouth). Now I understand why they would say that, but without divulging what the friendly horloger told me today, AP accepts a VERY large tolerance in accuracy. Double digits a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign View Post
Sucks but I get it. Not going to satisfy everyone and no brand is perfect.

Glad you got a chance to try it out and have it play out versus someone just telling you. Best of luck
Thanks! At least I fulfilled my dream of owning a RO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyv11 View Post
I gave up on the brand since I was a small fish in a big pond and would never be allocated anything. Completely understand just wish times were different. If only I was in the position I'm in now 10 years ago when they could be had for discounts lol
I feel sick when I see old rolexforum ads. 19k for a BNIB RO... Where was I back then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearxj86 View Post
How about trading it for a 38mm ROC or a 39mm older ROC? If it is thickness then the 41mm 26331st is a good 1 to 1.5mm thinner.
It would need to be a blue one, but I am not really happy to pay grey prices to be honest, and AP made clear I was supposed to feel lucky to get this model.
Though I agree, previous iterations feel much more proportionate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzsiam View Post
I think 38mm or 39mm would be better fit for most wrist.

I have 15500OR with full bracelet and love it so much, lately I just bought 39 mm ROC WG with alligator strap and love it also.

I wear AP from 36mm to 41mm, 39mm seems to be the best size for me.
Fully agree, 39mm is the max for a RO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
IMO sounds like you picked the wrong watch, not the wrong brand. Look into the 26715 38mm ROC, it optically wears much larger than just 1m to the 15550 37mm due to the pushers. We share slightly similar wrists, you can see below, the 38mm ROC is a much better fit than my 41MM ROC. If you go 41mm, I found I much prefer the thin case in the QP as that fits better than the normal and larger size cases, still believe the 39mm is perfect. The 39mm RO will wear very similar to a 38mm ROC.
Well, I picked what AP would accept to register my wish for. Rest assured I would not complain if they gave me a ultra thin QP

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Congrats and condolences on the watch.

The state of luxury is sad when we don't get enough time with the product and only after spending the large sum (and time jumping hoops) to realize it's not quite what we wanted.

I agree with all the other astute suggestions that maybe last gen ROC, 37m ROC, or any other smaller case size might meet your fancy better.

They are thick, I could never get over that, but again if you see a past post you will see I mostly daily a PQ now for the thickness reason.

Hopefully you find the one that matches you perfectly. I'd even go so far as to say pay the Code tax, get back in line for another RO that is the color and size you want. No reason to be unhappy with a watch when more money can tweak the problem to perfection.
Saw the new CODEs today and while I see why some people would like them (SS Blue is MUCH better than first iterations), they are too thick for a date-second watch IMO. Indeed, 37mm would be nice, but it's not in the pipeline for me. Also, I think that the more I see Rose, the less I find the three hands interesting. Either I go to previous models (26124 is kinda obsessing me at the moment), or Jumbo. Somehow RO feels like it was not meant for sweeping hand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW44 View Post
I have the same watch as the O/P.........but with none of the "issues" whatsoever.

Love mine and very happy with it
I waited a while for it, the list was long: for sure some people would enjoy it! Happy for you :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandor View Post
I think the 41 chrono looks really good on your wrist tbh, a lot of people oversize when buying an AP but I think it fits you nicely.
Thanks! Yes, the worst is the regular RO41mm. It's almost empty and looks pretty bad on many wrists. First time seeing them, I thought "wow that's a lot of unused space".

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW44 View Post
On that wrist, yes…..but other sizes (wrists and watches!) are available

Chronos always wear a tad larger.
Large isn't the issue though, it's THICC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doyle View Post
Agree with everything you said OP, and I am also done with AP. Have a 15400sr and honestly not interested in one watch companies in general anymore.

ROCs are all too thick. In my view, the ROC should look as elegant as the time and date only ROs as opposed to looking like an offshore almost.

Why is renaud and papi creating movements for RM as opposed to making sure they can achieve the best possible movements for basic ROs and ROCs? Why are they only creating nice movements for the very complicated AP watches? My 15400sr timekeeping is all over the place, regularly 5 minutes early / 3 minutes late after a week of wearing.
Profits. Many brands are moving upward in pricing and leverage history/goodwill to reduce the entry level quality, enhance their profits, and allow large bonuses to their execs.
Though I would say, AP is still very impressive, having developed a in-house chronograph caliber. It has a date and is flyback, something that other, thinner chronometers don't have (Cal. 4130 Rolex comes to mind).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLee View Post
i think that white/silver is the best color. however it does make the watch look even bigger, not exactly kind to small wrist people. you probably should have gone for the 38mm. The ROC feels rather thicker because it's also a flyback chrono with exhibition caseback.
I don't really care for casebook personally, I'd rather have thin, and to be honest many calibers are not worth to look at. When I look at current offerings in entry-mid tier of prestigious brands, all I see is the machined bevels and round angles hiding away the absence of sharp inner angles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
People here are talking as if OP's wrist is tiny, looks about the size of mine which is 7". And I still think the 38 looks 100x better.
Yeah, I have a wrist that can accommodate 41mm Sub no worries. 38mm blue panda would have been my choice if I it was still in prod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vliberman View Post
Given that AP owns minority stake in RM, perhaps it makes its money that way while selling substandard watches to suckers who don’t qualify for upper echelon of AP or can get RM…AP had issues with offshores at one point which almost destroyed it… perhaps they never learn

I for one turned my attention to MB&Fs and Urwerks of the world, who really care about their customers…
MBF is way too funky for me, but I really enjoy Urwerk. The blue planet edition makes me drool to no end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
To the OP, I understand what you are getting at. I am a big fan of AP. I have a 7 3/8" wrist, so I can likely wear larger watches then you. However, I would not personally purchase a ROC.

After wearing one and handling it next to the other APs, I find it too thick for how I would wear that particular watch. I love the 43MM ROO, which satisfies the chrono itch for me. Also, the CODE chrono's are REALLY good and comfortable and feel pretty small on the wrist (IMHO).

I really like the 41MM RO sizing, but gravitate toward PM time only or QP for those watches.

Additionally, I don't have much need for a dress watch, let alone a dress watch and a dress chrono. I would go Lange for that anyhow.

In all fairness to AP...almost every single "sport chrono able to be dressed up" I try on feels like too thick outside of the Daytona and CODE. That said...I can't think of the last time I wore a tie and coat and the next time will be either my kids weddings or my funeral.

For me...the thinner ROs paired with a ROO is the ticket.
To be honest, I am not a fan of chronos. I have a history with a chrono watch that I hated but still wore because it was my first luxury watch (P6620). I think it ruined chronos for me, and it took me a while to appreciate Daytona (actually I like the Zenith ones and the 12 series only). I always liked the way AP did his chrono, but was disappointed to find the lugs were not screw anymore. Crown guards on ROC, these I really love though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.GL View Post
Thank you for sharing your story. Wish you the best on your watch collection adventure .
Thanks my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekman View Post
OP, I agree with you that the new ROCs are too thick. I have the previous generation 26331ST and was initially thinking of "upgrading" to the new model with the display caseback and new chrono however after trying it on I was shocked at how much thicker it is compared to the 26331ST.

Consider trading "down" to that generation or even the older 39mm generation.

I love RO but like you I struggle with 41 being a little bigger than i want them to be and the inability to get a 39mm.
I said it before, but I am looking at 26124 at the moment. If I can find a good specimen, I might swap.

Quote:

I mean, it's very probable the next owner is going to register it and my SA get a notification "One of the watch you sold changed owner". But I don't really care: Nothing they want to sell me interests me, and nothing that interests me, they would sell to me.

Quote:
To the OP - FWIW, I think the watch looks good on you and I wouldn't at all suggest it's too big to the size of noticing. That said, it only really matters what you think.

I agree with others here as well - you chose the wrong model. I don't think you should write off AP because of that. Trust me, there are very good reasons to write off AP, but if they have other offerings that interest you, there are also very good reasons to love AP! :-)

I have a smaller wrist size than you I believe, so I feel your pain. 41mm's just are not good options, but I admit for models such as PCs and Skeletons, who the hell cares! LOL.

I had a 38mm Chrono, and that is really a lovely watch, but I am a Daytona fanboy and at the end of the day, I just didn't enjoy it like I do my Daytonas. That's my tastes though, so I would encourage you to try out the 38mm ROCs and see what you think.

Good luck!
Well, I'm on the list for Le Mans Daytona. It's probably never going to happen but one man can dream. I posted a picture on another thread, and I think it's the most beautiful Daytona since the Zenith editions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandopat View Post
They absolutely will check. To think they don’t is naive. I agree that one should sell a watch they don’t like, but just be aware of the possible repercussions.
Blacklisted? Not going to change anything to me to be honest. If they call me and ask why I sold it, I'll say that I didn't enjoy the watch. Perhaps if I wait the year end, I'll get to use their upcoming CPO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoylentGreenChi View Post
OP, I get it. When it comes to AP, there’s only one model in the lineup I can comfortably wear, and that’s the 37mm RO. I have a fabulous relationship with my boutique and we touch base every few months, but even they have dissuaded me from a Code knowing it’s too big on my wrist (I very much like the Code, but it’s a dinner plate on my wrist). So I have one RO in my collection of mostly Pateks, but I sure love that one RO. I would easily pick it over a Nautilus, and this is coming from a Patek collector. Man, I wish AP did dress watches still. They’ve done some of the best in history.
Thanks for sharing. which previous dress watch did you enjoy? Starwheel? :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeTee View Post
Get a 26331 or 26320.
Better watch IMO with right proportions and thickness.
Agreed.

Quote:
Yes. Daytona is 11.9 currently. I know it doesn't have a date or flyback, but it's not from a high end house. AP touts its ultra thin QP, why are their chrono so thick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivalas View Post
Depends what watch you’re talking about I would think. If it’s one of their rare extremely hard to get watches then I think they would check. If say AP House are only allocated 1 or 2 watches that year and it comes up for sale then yes I believe they will definitely look to find out.

If it’s a steel Royal Oak or an offshore, then they probably won’t invest anytime checking. However if the new owner registers that watch, then surely AP will find out anyway?

Anyone should be able to do whatever they like with their own watches, just like a watch company can sell, or not sell, to whoever they like, so just bare in mind that selling and being found out may result in no more watches. Whether that’s right or wrong, is a different debate.
I think they will know if the new owner registers it. Now, let's say I sell it to a watch finder/watchbox company, it might sit on their shelf enough time for Ap to not care when the new owner register it (if he ever does).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown & Shield View Post
I guess AP is “fortunate” to have clients like you
I had so many reliability issues with their movements over the years that I turned the page, even though I considered the Royal Oak the greatest watch design ever.
4401 is indeed a mess. I also know from some source, that you can expect 5 years of life out of it before a service. If you are lucky. They can stop dead on their tracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sho-nuff View Post
Exactly. A thick RO is heresy for me. Keep the thick watches for ROO. Any watch company can make a thick chronograph. I am spending 35k, I want something special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekman View Post
It may not be thick in the grand scheme of thins if you compare to lesser brands or even a ROO but if you compare it prior generations such as the 26331ST it is noticeably thicker. As I mentioned earlier i was looking forward to possibly adding one since it has the new in house flyback movement but after trying it on I decided against it because I find it too thick.
Also, as I said before, thickness is a factor, but the lugs (short, chunky) are also an issue. The proportions are less GG's version of RO and more "Let's make a caricature we can uncharge"

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
If someone wants to see "thick", they should try the current Overseas chrono. I did for the first time today, and found it somewhat ridiculous. Compared to that even the 26240 is downright svelte.

VC is all over the place. The 222 is nice (but less good than the OG one IMO), their customer service abysmal, and the Overseas 3 hands a thickness monster.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2023, 04:00 AM   #84
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Icon10

Multi quote tastic reply
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2023, 04:11 AM   #85
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Outstanding.
Not to mention the unattractive RO design rooted 5 decades ago.
Slotted skrews on a watch bezel..
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2023, 04:44 AM   #86
Crown & Shield
"TRF" Member

How can a brand that does not bother to adjust their movements be even considered high-end?
Crown & Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2023, 02:22 PM   #87
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2loaded View Post
Outstanding.
Not to mention the unattractive RO design rooted 5 decades ago.
Slotted skrews on a watch bezel..
Astute observation, congrats.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST // 26715.ST.ZZ || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2023, 07:48 PM   #88
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post

I find it funny how people making fun of the AP brand for being too big and flash, too ostentatious, meanwhile giving praise to VC as the more mature and sensible brand.

Yet my 41mm 3-hander Overseas wears clearly bigger than my 41mm Royal Oak, despite with a smaller power reserve. The ROC stays at 41mm, meanwhile the Overseas goes to 42.5mm and at 13.7mm thickness
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2023, 09:27 PM   #89
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
VC is all over the place. The 222 is nice (but less good than the OG one IMO), their customer service abysmal, and the Overseas 3 hands a thickness monster.
Fully agree.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2023, 01:35 AM   #90
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Exiting the brand

Quote:
Let me start by saying I appreciate AP a lot, and that I completely understand why people love them.

However after years of lusting and finally getting my ROC, I just think this is not for me; I feel like I’ve fallen pray to the emperor’s clothes story.

I’ve tried many models from AP, and was allowed to place a wish for 26240 in white. A few months ago, I finally got it and from day 1 I’ve had doubts.

First thing that struck me, was that white wasn’t that of a great color. Then the thickness, it was thick for a luxury chronograph. The caliber is nice but again, nothing to write home about IMO. I understand the price point isn’t high enough to warrant impressive bevel and inner angles, and there are some present, but living alongside heavy machined finish.

And then the chronometric performance. People complain about 3235 accuracy, well let me tell you it’s a high end quartz movement compared to what AP has produced. It’s simply just my least reliable watch.

41mm is too large for my wrist for the dial, and even for the bracelet. You end up with something that should be beautiful, but isn’t. The lugs are not those of a Royal oak. They are thick and the side profile feels like a caricature of a RO.

In some aspects I find the watch pretty, but the fact it’s not my color or even model, I’m not happy. I don’t regret buying it, but two things annoy me:

1) if I now ask for another dial color, or even a 3 hands RO, I know I will get it even as a new customer. This was confirmed by some friends of mine who registered their interest. When I asked for a RO back then; 26240 white was all they would register my interest on. Yes I know I should feel lucky to have bypassed the CODE mandatory buy, but still.

2) I now feel that no RO is interesting. Besides the Jumbo (which I will never get) or the 37mm (which are slightly too small), there is nothing in the catalogue for me.

So now I’m faced with the obvious conclusion: AP is simply not for me. I wish it was but the RO, CODE, don’t look good on my wrist.

I sometimes force myself to wear my ROC, and it’s night and day when I put back my daily (Sub). Yes it’s not pretty from some angles, but the comfort and peace of mind I have with it is a stark contrast against the ROC.

I’ll probably be selling my ROC (and killing the relationship with it) but that is how it is.

I think you need the 38mm ROC. On my 6.75 wrist with all blue dial it is perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote