The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 October 2021, 09:35 AM   #61
bob sims
Banned

Sounds too good to be true.
bob sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 09:59 AM   #62
samuel019
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
My first thought was: wow, I’d totally do that… but I’d sell the Daytona and two Tudors so I could have a Sub, two Tudors and a JLC for like $8,000…
Even better plan.

I have a few Daytona’s and for me the hype has made this watch something’s it’s not. That’s me referring to my 523, 520, and a 500.

So if Daytona’s are not all that and bag of chips why do I own 3? Different times and well I do “like” them. Even went Grey on 2 of them but when they weren’t in the 30’s and 40’s. Teens and low 20’s. Even got the 523 way back when new and ordered from an A D for 12,100 otd. Still have the receipt. And I might add I’m after a 116505 or a 116515 but only if my A D calls. Came real close last month. One guy ahead of me.

It’s a great watch don’t get me wrong but for what people have to do, this thread included, is pure nuts. It’s light, wears small, no date, kinda hard to read, and I don’t have any need for a Chrono function.
Old 2 October 2021, 10:12 AM   #63
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

That's because it is. The Tudor's aren't exactly distressed inventory that a dealer needs to give up a Daytona to sell, even 5 of them. I can't believe Rolex/Tudor has any better opinion of someone immediately flipping a new Tudor Chrono, which is a very hard watch to find, than a Rolex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob sims View Post
Sounds too good to be true.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 10:33 AM   #64
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
tag for the outcome, and pics, as this unlikely yarn unravels....
Old 2 October 2021, 11:25 AM   #65
Andad
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Rolex View Post
How about buy them all then return the Tudors. Completely entitled to a refund
Great idea Ricky.

I bet the AD hasn’t thought of that.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 11:58 AM   #66
El Patron
"TRF" Member

Sorry Buddy

Here a little homework for you guys. The 5th watch can’t be a Tudor. I don’t know to much about the brands, but the goal would be to sell it off at a small loss. Here is what I have to chose from. Pricing up to 12k.

LONGINES
Tag
Bell&Rose
Franck muller
Jaeger
Chronoswiss
Bulgari

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
El Patron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 12:50 PM   #67
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Patron View Post
Here a little homework for you guys. The 5th watch can’t be a Tudor. I don’t know to much about the brands, but the goal would be to sell it off at a small loss. Here is what I have to chose from. Pricing up to 12k.

LONGINES
Tag
Bell&Rose
Franck muller
Jaeger
Chronoswiss

Absolutely none of those will hold value anything close to retail. JLC maybe the best, Longines maybe the best since it's the cheapest.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 01:18 PM   #68
El Patron
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
Absolutely none of those will hold value anything close to retail. JLC maybe the best, Longines maybe the best since it's the cheapest.

Forgot they have Bulgari also. I know they all take a bath, but some less then others.

El Patron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 01:21 PM   #69
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

Quote:

LONGINES
Tag
Bell&Rose
Franck muller
Jaeger
Chronoswiss
Bulgari

Jaeger the only option I would take but prepare to loss half.
TimepieceRPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 01:46 PM   #70
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore66 View Post
That's because it is. The Tudor's aren't exactly distressed inventory that a dealer needs to give up a Daytona to sell, even 5 of them. I can't believe Rolex/Tudor has any better opinion of someone immediately flipping a new Tudor Chrono, which is a very hard watch to find, than a Rolex.
Perhaps things work differently in Mexico (that is where the dealer is, right)? Not sure what the market is like there, or the spend thresholds for access to the most in-demand models.

Quote:

LONGINES
Tag
Bell&Rose
Franck muller
Jaeger
Chronoswiss
Bulgari

And in case anybody is wondering, no, I'm not guessing location based on the OP having a Spanish username, but there is exactly one jeweler in all of North America that sells all of those brands, and it's in Mexico...
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 03:53 PM   #71
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
but there is exactly one jeweler in all of North America that sells all of those brands, and it's in Mexico...
Really? You’ve dealt with them? Just wondering how you knew there’s only one in N.A.
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 04:29 PM   #72
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Rolex View Post
How about buy them all then return the Tudors. Completely entitled to a refund
The law (certainly here in the Uk) does not cover changing your mind. The AD will be wise to this and should point out the sale is final, or mark receipt accordingly.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 05:45 PM   #73
Francist
Banned

Watch: 116500LN
This is normal practice on most asian countries.
You bundle ur grail with the unwanted garbage in the AD.
The AD won't mind if u sell all the junks, but if u sell the Daytona u're banned for an allocation anymore. My AD even straight up told me if i want to flip any grails, do it after i collect everything i want. However, u will unlikely come out on top as opposed to buying straight outta a grey dealer.
Francist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 06:12 PM   #74
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
I‘d do that deal today!
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 06:14 PM   #75
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone1983 View Post
I would rather flip the Tudors and the Daytona and walk away with the JLC and about $18K - $20K
I like your way of thinking!
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 06:17 PM   #76
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: SEIKO TUNA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
The law (certainly here in the Uk) does not cover changing your mind. The AD will be wise to this and should point out the sale is final, or mark receipt accordingly.
What if the buyer said the AD coerced him into the deal? UK consumer laws seem pretty consumer friendly.
Old 2 October 2021, 06:44 PM   #77
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
I got concerned when you mentioned that your friend needs to pay off his CC and doesn’t have the financial means etc.

Maybe this isn’t the right time for him to get a Rolex.

I wouldn’t get into debt just so i could buy a very expensive watch. There’s more important things in life.

If this is a stretch for him, he probably needs his money to pay other debts/bills.

If it was my buddy I would advise him against doing this.

♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
BumbleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 06:46 PM   #78
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=Old Expat Beast;11734827]What if the buyer said the AD coerced him into the deal? UK consumer laws seem pretty consumer friendly.[/QUOTE

I thought it covered in the UK but may change after Brexit. Online shopping def can change or ask for refund for any reasons
TimepieceRPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 06:59 PM   #79
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Sorry Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001jesper View Post
well, its better than paying 40k for the Daytona alone and without any opportunity for cashback.

... Still insane that it has come this far. Hopefully we can all laugh about these "crazy time" it in a few years

I think in a few years we’ll say: “in 2021 I could have bought an SS Daytona for $40k and didn’t pull the trigger, now they’re $60k….”

♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
Old 2 October 2021, 09:19 PM   #80
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleB View Post
I think in a few years we’ll say: “in 2021 I could have bought an SS Daytona for $40k and didn’t pull the trigger, now they’re $60k….”

Or “glad I didn’t buy a Daytona in 2021. People blinded by hype were paying $40k for a 14k watch. All the lockdowns made everyone a bit crazy.”
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 09:25 PM   #81
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
Or “glad I didn’t buy a Daytona in 2021. People blinded by hype were paying $40k for a 14k watch. All the lockdowns made everyone a bit crazy.”

Time will tell…

Old 2 October 2021, 09:36 PM   #82
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Are you sure you are getting the Daytona at the same time? If not you may be taken for a ride.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 09:46 PM   #83
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Get in in writing or you are out $30k in junk jewelry you didnt want.
This!
Zenith 02.480.405

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 09:53 PM   #84
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
It's a watch.....the schemes, and the criminal imagination of these some of these FOMO's is so childish it's shocking!

In the short two years I've been on this forum it's become Romper Room, IMO.......
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 10:36 PM   #85
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doboy007 View Post
Really? You’ve dealt with them? Just wondering how you knew there’s only one in N.A.
This thread got me curious what dealer it might be. Started with the two smallest distribution brands on there (Chronoswiss and Franck Muller) and found only a single AD with both lines. They are also an AD for the others mentioned.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 10:57 PM   #86
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Aviator View Post
Incredible the difference of opinion on this throughout the thread.

It’s clear some think its a great deal (staggering), and others just can’t see where the bargain is in this deal?

I’m biased, Daytona does nothing for me, but I’m also not so desperate to ever pay over retail for anything, but thats just me.

Somewhere, common sense has got to prevail over unnecessary wants, and this deal goes way over that line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleB
I got concerned when you mentioned that your friend needs to pay off his CC and doesn’t have the financial means etc.

Maybe this isn’t the right time for him to get a Rolex.

I wouldn’t get into debt just so i could buy a very expensive watch. There’s more important things in life.

If this is a stretch for him, he probably needs his money to pay other debts/bills.

If it was my buddy I would advise him against doing this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRickles
It's a watch.....the schemes, and the criminal imagination of these some of these FOMO's is so childish it's shocking!

In the short two years I've been on this forum it's become Romper Room, IMO.......
You guys above are spot on. I think sometimes people need a reality check. It's just a watch.

Nobody's life is suddenly going to be immeasurably improved or utterly destroyed by either owning or not owning a Daytona. However, being in the hole for a load of cash CAN be life changing if things go badly.

My opinion is if you can't afford to pay then you can't afford to play... and crucially people just need to accept that at times in life. There's lots of stuff I would like and either can't justify or simply can't afford - fine, I accept that. I get over it, I forget about it, and I move on. People need to stop thinking, "I want, I want, I want, at all costs". Elaborate schemes like this says to me that the OP's buddy can't really afford it, and since we're talking about a totally unnecessary, anachronistic, luxury item, my advice would be to stop and think for a moment. Take a breath, have a reality check and just let it go.

But hey, that's just sensible old me.
Driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 11:02 PM   #87
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Get in in writing or you are out $30k in junk jewelry you didnt want.

Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloMelo View Post
My guess is that they’ll give it to him all together

My guess is they won’t, cause they don’t have Daytona’s lying around. He might get the next one, or they might just say he’ll get the next one and wait. I’d want all of it in writing as well as time frames.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 11:07 PM   #88
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Financial arbitrage, TRF-style!

In buyer's financial situation, I'd have a gray buyer lined up and on board for the "extra" pieces, so buyer knows exactly what the net cost of the Daytona is. And if AD doesn't have the Daytona in stock, they would have to wait to get the Daytona and then put it in a package with the other watches at the same time. That's the only way to do it.

Either that, or I'd have a gray buyer lined up for all pieces, including the Daytona, and just make some dough. Screw the AD! lol
Old 2 October 2021, 11:26 PM   #89
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
It sounds worth it. But since I have three full time jobs (work, family and recreation), it would just be too much time and effort involved.
Old 2 October 2021, 11:45 PM   #90
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

Realistically, what is the financial downside to paying $38k for a NIB 116500 from a grey dealer? $5-6k if you need to punt it? That’s less than the downside on a bunch of bundled watches and far fewer moving parts and easier to predict.

The only other downside is you need to have the $38k, and that’s the biggest issue I see for a lot of posters and their schemes. Personally, I wouldn’t buy a $13k watch if I couldn’t afford a $38k watch. If $38k is a life-changer and you must have a Daytona, then your priorities are seriously out of whack IMO.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote