The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 April 2021, 06:55 AM   #61
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cts View Post
Anyone know what the current MSRP is for the baguette dial version?
It's about $82k.
CHRONOLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2021, 06:55 AM   #62
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikichi View Post
Platona and SS Daytona are certainly hyped but the SS Nautilus is even more hyped imho. 5711 priced jumped from 55-60k overnight to 80-90k after it was discontinued. I passed the 5711 several times when it was still 45-50k, couldn't justify that price for a simple 3 hands stainless steel watch. But I can imagine myself paying market price for the Platona.
PP on bracelet have all run hard
Old 24 April 2021, 06:55 AM   #63
Mick Z
"TRF" Member

The price of platinum is around $500 less per ounce than gold. I understand that it is more difficult to work with, but these prices are outlandish.
Mick Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2021, 06:56 AM   #64
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
On the wrist ... it just makes “cents”. ;)

Love these pics! Great lighting on that baguette dial!
Old 24 April 2021, 06:57 AM   #65
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougiebaby View Post
To be 100% brutally honest, I would take a platinum Daytona over that ANY and EVERY day of the week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have to agree.
S’portEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2021, 06:57 AM   #66
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
Funny you should say that. I have thought if I could source an AD SS Daytona and swap my platinum Daytona for a Patel 5170P, that might be interesting. And I’m a guy who has worn and loved my Daytona every day for 4+ years.
wait a bit and you will be able to swap your platona for a 5270P:::)))
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2021, 07:00 AM   #67
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

Thank you everyone for making this a really delightful thread!
Old 24 April 2021, 07:11 AM   #68
Abre
"TRF" Member

This is becoming a very nice thread as many have pointed.
I really think that as long as the demand is there these watches will only rise in price
Also for all of you guys saying that they’d get a platona over a 5711 I’ll tell you there on a totally different level
A pic from a video of a part of my collection for your enjoyment guys .

Abre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2021, 07:12 AM   #69
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abre View Post
This is becoming a very nice thread as many have pointed.
I really think that as long as the demand is there these watches will only rise in price
Also for all of you guys saying that they’d get a platona over a 5711 I’ll tell you there on a totally different level
A pic from a video of a part of my collection for your enjoyment guys .

Beautiful and very intentional collection! Can definitely see your angle.
Old 24 April 2021, 07:24 AM   #70
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRONOLEX View Post
You had a great thread on "convince me to buy a Platona"!
Thanks, it was fun to reread it sometime after getting it. This thread has a nice vibe to it also!
Old 24 April 2021, 07:31 AM   #71
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
Thanks, it was fun to reread it sometime after getting it. This thread has a nice vibe to it also!
Funny when the person said

Spoiler alert: He got it

Old 24 April 2021, 07:37 AM   #72
Abre
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Beautiful and very intentional collection! Can definitely see your angle.
Thank you

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk
Abre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2021, 07:38 AM   #73
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam66 View Post
wait a bit and you will be able to swap your platona for a 5270P:::)))
Lemme know! I shouldn't even joke! This is one of my favorite purchases ever.
Old 24 April 2021, 11:11 AM   #74
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

This is the one I will be getting!
Old 24 April 2021, 11:54 AM   #75
Flstfirider
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Tudor
My local watch store has a “pre-owned” Platinum Daytona with the ice blue dial and baguette cut diamond markers with a warranty card dated 4/21 listed for $160K! That is insane!!!
Flstfirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2021, 12:59 PM   #76
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Man that decision to curb your enthusiasm for the watch certainly doesn't help with these pics haha. Great pics S.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2021, 09:13 PM   #77
HogwldFLTR
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Too many to list!
Quote:
As I've thought about it over the last few hours, I have decided to suspend my fervent search and just see if anything comes around. While I own far too many watches (like many of you) to wish for the market to "come back down," I would like to see where this Platona market in particular goes. It's already traded to +60% of retail - does it have another 60% of upside? Not sure I see this as a $200k watch, but hard to say!
I'd go to/contact as many ADs as possible and offer to buy one. Try harder to get one at MSRP. Great watch but lately it's priced mine off of my wrist. Also, the upgrade cost to diamonds may well be worth it for me now as it really increases the value. Of course when I bought mine I got a discount and could never for see this craziness happening.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2021, 10:02 PM   #78
alweisenberger
"TRF" Member

oh darn, gotta suffer with that black c daytona, what a hardship! jk
alweisenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2021, 11:14 PM   #79
peterpl
Banned

At the moment prices of watches seem extremely high. Even moreso now for some of the precious metal pieces.

Plat Daytona = $100k+
YG/RG SkyDs = $50k+
RG DD40s = $45k+
YG DD40s = $38k+
Gold Daytonas = $45k+
Gold Subs = $40k+
Gold GMTs = $40k+

Its all nuts. Steel pieces seem quite cheap these days once again. LOL
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2021, 11:41 PM   #80
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
At the moment prices of watches seem extremely high. Even moreso now for some of the precious metal pieces.

Plat Daytona = $100k+
YG/RG SkyDs = $50k+
RG DD40s = $45k+
YG DD40s = $38k+
Gold Daytonas = $45k+
Gold Subs = $40k+
Gold GMTs = $40k+

Its all nuts. Steel pieces seem quite cheap these days once again. LOL
Most of these are just normal prices. People buy for MSRP or MSRP minus 10% (depending on the AD) and secondary prices for BNIB are MSRP plus 10% (which is typically the equivalent of MSRP plus sales tax).

Far from nuts. Secondary resellers charge for the convenience of immediate availability and delivery.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2021, 11:43 PM   #81
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
Most of these are just normal prices. People buy for MSRP minus 10% and secondary prices for BNIB are MSRP plus 10% (which is typically the equivalent of MSRP plus sales tax).
Compared to before they are NOT normal prices you would pay as a customer on the gray market. Far far from it. I paid $33k for a BNIB RG SKyD now they are $56k BNIB. RG DD40s also at $27k now they are $45k+. Even more for Chocolate and Olive dials and of course Plat Daytona at EASILY $100k+. That's a HUGE HUGE increase and these prices are NOT what we are used to. Makes SS prices at sub $20k feel quite cheap.

You cant even get the gold pieces from ADs these days as they are fetching so high for some pieces they all go to grays immediately.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2021, 11:43 PM   #82
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
Quote:
This is the one I will be getting!
Ditto! Can't wait!
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2021, 11:50 PM   #83
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
Compared to before they are NOT normal prices you would pay as a customer on the gray market. Far far from it. I paid $33k for a BNIB RG SKyD now they are $56k BNIB. RG DD40s also at $27k now they are $45k+. Even more for Chocolate and Olive dials. That's a HUGE HUGE increase.

You cant even get the gold pieces from ADs these days as they are fetching so high for some pieces they all go to grays immediately.
Fair point. They are normal prices NOW given the explosion in global demand for Rolex over the past few years.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2021, 11:58 PM   #84
kearez
"TRF" Member

For 130K can get yourself a 5170P or another Patek PC, or the VC Overseas PC. I’m my opinion much better watches for the price point.
kearez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2021, 12:32 AM   #85
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearez View Post
For 130K can get yourself a 5170P or another Patek PC, or the VC Overseas PC. I’m my opinion much better watches for the price point.
But remember (and respectfully) this is the main TRF forum where the prevailing view is that PM bracelet trumps strap. You see this over and over again when comparing a Daytona 519LN vs 509. So I can see why just from the 'market' masses, a full bracelet Daytona is more desirable than a 5170P. Despite 5170P being an amazing watch.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2021, 08:01 AM   #86
iambatman
"TRF" Member

Some stats to help you envision the craziness of the luxury watch market - there are 47 million millionaires in the world today & we are undergoing the process of baby boomers handing over their wealth to Millenials/GenZ.. high probability they will be chasing a new Rolex..

Rolex makes a ~million watches a year from what I hear. I'd say maybe 5% of that production is in PM models, even less so for Platinum models.

If even just half of the 47 million millionaires today wanted a PM Rolex, Rolex simply does not have the capacity to cater to their demands.

Inflation in luxury goods will outpace overall inflation for a long time.

(As an FYI.. think about BTC.. 21 million total can be mined. We're at ~18.5 million. Even if every millionaire wanted 1 BTC.. they couldn't get it.. no matter what price..)
iambatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2021, 10:07 AM   #87
jakemiller69
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for your concern! My Porsche was more than $130k so no need to lose sleep over my situation.

I've always done well by entering into purchases at the right price point, no matter what it is. Makes no sense to me to blindly spend money without regard to market for obvious reasons.

Price may increase or decrease, but this latest craziness is without compare. Even dealers themselves are scratching their heads. A very nice dealer told me this morning that he was offered a BNIB 116506 at such a high price that even he said no, as he could never resell it and make anything, so that to me says the market is starting to push back a little.
The original comment sounds really elitist and snobby, but I do agree with the sentiment. $10m or less NET, you probably would do better with BTC or a Spac like PSTH, looking for what brings the most value. If you want a watch, then Panda will win that with less outlay.
jakemiller69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2021, 10:10 AM   #88
DoctorsOrders
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub*Man View Post
I think you make some great points. Youre clearly a sophisticated watch owner and a successful guy, cheers to that.

I think the hype has taken this reference to unrealistic levels. It is THE Daytona, but Im' not sure I love it at $130k, but I'm not sure I would ever go $130k on a single watch. Certainly my collection is worth more than $130k, but to me thats a lot of a single Rolex. Obviously your collection far exceeds $130k.

I don't think the luxury watch market will ever go back down. I think the luxury market, like real estate, has entered another level and there is no ceiling. Demand far exceeds supply and the only that will it cool it off in my opinion is a rise in interest rates. And, a "pullback" nowadays might just be considered a cooling off period, not a crash like before. So I think the luxury watch market has parallels to real estate.

Lastly, have you tried the platinum Day Date? May scratch your platinum itch at a much lower price point, and an absolutely stunning reference on the wrist. I have come very close a few times, but always seem to be able to talk myself out of it.

Cheers on your 116500, i too received mine from my AD last week, and it was monumental.
I second this, check out the platinum DD!
DoctorsOrders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2021, 10:54 AM   #89
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brich436 View Post
No offense but it seems like the Platinum Daytona isn't right for you.... this is an extremely expensive watch. At this price range your in the AP and PP leagues.

If your net worth is < 10M I wouldn't even consider it. If its above that then buy the watch to keep it (wear and enjoy) and then who cares what resale value is. It's like buying a 130k Porsche that is worth 40k after 6-8 years - though I bet the Daytona will do much, much better.

I tend to agree with this.

@OP if you’re really concerned about what the market will do I don’t know if you would be able to really enjoy this watch. Using Birch’s logic i would like to use this example. Would you ever buy a Porsche and not really drive it? It would be crazy to own a fast car and never really get to drive it hard. To each their own, but for me personally this would not make me happy. If I have something I want to be able to use it and not worry.

boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2021, 12:18 PM   #90
2000-NJDEVILS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi all:

I have wanted a platinum Daytona since they first came out, and was hoping to pick up a BNIB or LNIB on the secondary market in the sub $50k area, but never did. However, as we all know, rather than staying at that price point, they went in the extreme opposite direction. With all the rumors of being soon discontinued, I once again re-launched my search a few weeks ago (although I really hated finding myself in a position of having to chase the momentum).

In the current market, I cannot really find a great condition Platona at a price that feels like a comfortable entry point. Over the last week, from dealers across the U.S., I have been offered 5 years old with some dings for $100k, 3 years old unpolished (but in need of refinishing) for $110k, and BNIB for an average price of about $130k (prices rounded, not exact). Thank you to the very kind TRF members who provided me with insight over the last few days.

My concerns on a purchase like this, right now, are numerous, obviously. But a primary concern is that I would buy it BNIB for call it $130k, remove the stickers and wear it, and (although I'm extremely careful with my watches) then require the worn market on this watch to appreciate another $15k or so to allow me to exit the watch for what I paid (if I ever wanted or needed to sell it). I don't know that I see another +$15k in this market with relative confidence.

When I spoke to a few non-ADs about this, they told me they won't stock this piece (or probably even buy it from me) because they wouldn't commit the capital to buy the watch for inventory (not many people walk in ready to spend $100k for a watch at a neighborhood shop) and it's just a lot of work to resell in general.

As I've thought about it over the last few hours, I have decided to suspend my fervent search and just see if anything comes around. While I own far too many watches (like many of you) to wish for the market to "come back down," I would like to see where this Platona market in particular goes. It's already traded to +60% of retail - does it have another 60% of upside? Not sure I see this as a $200k watch, but hard to say!

Unfortunately it feels like it's become such a hype piece over a very short time period, that perhaps the supply has been hoarded by speculators hoping for its discontinuation. I suppose only time will tell where this supply goes, and when.

In the meantime, I will enjoy my other watches (such as my black DaytonaC acquired last week) and continue a passive search. Maybe one day I will be fortunate enough to post an incoming on the official Platona owners thread!

Best wishes to all. Thanks for reading.
Good Luck in your quest!
Life is short - so if you really, really feel you have to have it, just pay the $100-130K and wear it with pride. Or do a large trade-in with some of your other watches to get this “Grail Piece”....
Again, Good Luck!
2000-NJDEVILS is offline   Reply With Quote