The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 March 2017, 08:47 AM   #61
ulrichhh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los View Post
I'm happy this watch is now more accessible personally
accessible is a better word than "cheaper"
ulrichhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 08:55 AM   #62
Trouble15
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Don't think it is a sign of desperation but a sign of a company that is adapting to the market place. The fact is that the Sky-D was an awfully slow seller for Rolex. So now they introduce in SS and and can monetize the movement.
Trouble15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 09:09 AM   #63
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor BB36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cop414 View Post
I agree Paul, but who would have thought they'd release a steel Sky Dweller?
I did, Tim, and I think it was always in the plan.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 09:11 AM   #64
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
I did, Tim, and I think it was always in the plan.
I think the same as the stick dials were never used. This is my comment sometime back in other thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
Yes.. they didn't use stick dials till now in Sky-dweller.. I think that was a hint that it was going to come in SS. Also with roman and arabic, the dial looked way busier and stick dials make it more pleasing to the eye (though personally I prefer the roman).

Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 09:35 AM   #65
WhyMe
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
IMO, the SS with the blue dial is a winner! I might get this later this year.
Old 23 March 2017, 09:38 AM   #66
FTX I
"TRF" Member

I don't get why screw WG SD owners and release a new gigantic Sea-Dweller with cyclops and keep a 10 yrs line for a Daytona-C
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 09:45 AM   #67
redalert
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
the SS version of sub, seaD, daytona holds better value compare to their gold version. wouldn't the new skyd be the same?
redalert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 09:47 AM   #68
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
A sign of desperation?.....not at all....a very cool move IMO.

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 09:48 AM   #69
Mystro

Hard to say as it's a totally new design and not a Rolex core design like the others that have been around for decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redalert View Post
the SS version of sub, seaD, daytona holds better value compare to their gold version. wouldn't the new skyd be the same?
Old 23 March 2017, 09:48 AM   #70
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Don't think it is a sign of desperation but a sign of a company that is adapting to the market place. The fact is that the Sky-D was an awfully slow seller for Rolex. So now they introduce in SS and and can monetize the movement.
I have to agree with this. They put all this time into developing the skydweller movement and at 55k in Canada they just aren't selling. My small AD had 4 people waiting on the list for the SS blue skydweller by mid day today...smart move Rolex
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 09:50 AM   #71
Mystro

It doesn't seem like any of the truly "new" Rolex designs are that accepted like the YMII and Sky Dweller. I questioned this years ago when a brand is forced to never evolve????
I am tending to like the non traditional looks as I have a "been there done that" for decades with the same designs. I am actually more excited about the Rolex brand seeing they are breaking out of the safe and conservative mold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by japenney View Post
I have to agree with this. They put all this time into developing the skydweller movement and at 55k in Canada they just aren't selling. My small AD had 4 people waiting on the list for the SS blue skydweller by mid day today...smart move Rolex
Old 23 March 2017, 09:50 AM   #72
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

I love the Skydweller and have one in yg. Personally, I think it's cool they came out with these although I'd be annoyed if I had the white gold version because it's relatively indistinguishable. That said, wg owners are the "off the radar" people so maybe it doesn't matter so much. A wg sub with its blue dial vs. a ss sub, be it green or black, is not a known quantity to anyone other than watch aficionados. My only gripe is that the dials on the new ones are better by a good margin. Despite that, I love the silver sunray dial save for the chopped up Romans. Still, when it's on the wrist, with my slightly flagging eyes, it adds up to nothing. The blue dial SkyD is hotter than Georgia asphalt. Want one now.
dadonn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 09:51 AM   #73
RolexNorth
Banned

Watch: YM2SS,SD43,HULK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wllnv19 View Post
I always felt they would release a SS version...
Agreed, I posted a response on another thread about the possibility of a Skydweller in SS and was rebuffed saying that the movement was too expensive for a SS watch.

Now I'm considering getting one in a couple years when it become's available.
RolexNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 10:03 AM   #74
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
To be one of the first of 5,294 threads about the TT SkyDweller, and specifically the steel and WG Bezel (for around $14K), I am wondering... is this release in actuality a sign of desperation from Rolex?

First, I absolutely love it and expect a lot of TRFers will be picking one up. More power to you and congrats in advance I actually would consider it myself.... but moving on - was Rolex FORCED to do this because of slumping Swiss Watch sales? WOULD they have taken a model we all expected to be PM only, (like the Day-Date) and turn it in to a SS if sales were steady?

My personal opinion, is no, that the SD was originated to be an all and only PM model that Rolex re thought after three years of steadily falling numbers. I believe they will sell a lot, and it is a fantastic watch, I am just wondering what caused this (pretty drastic) release? Or, am I wrong, and the plan all along was to release it in TT and SS?

What say you TRF?
A lot of money went into that 500 piece movement. Since the SD is a slow seller I think it's a smart move. I couldn't get one on bracelet before bc it was way too much. Now I can get one. So for a lot of people who admired the annual calander it is a home run. Has everything you need for a 1 watch collection as well.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 10:23 AM   #75
GradyPhilpott

Watch: Tudor BB36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
A lot of money went into that 500 piece movement. Since the SD is a slow seller I think it's a smart move. I couldn't get one on bracelet before bc it was way too much. Now I can get one. So for a lot of people who admired the annual calander it is a home run. Has everything you need for a 1 watch collection as well.
This is very true.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 10:59 AM   #76
slowturbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 42mm Polar Exp II
I don't see why it is in issue that they released it in SS. As others have mentioned, the YM and Daytona come in SS and PM. Conversely, people buy subs and gmt's in PM. Personally, I think its refreshing to see a good value like this coming from Rolex. Its not like its some $1k watch that will dilute the brand.
IWC 3777-01
JLC Reverso Grand Taille
slowturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 11:04 AM   #77
maton12
"TRF" Member

The Sky Dweller is an incredible watch

Would be extremely hard to justify a PM version for many, but now in stainless could well become within reach
maton12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 11:23 AM   #78
fishingbear

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
Rolex knows exactly what they are doing with the Sky Dweller.
fishingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 11:31 AM   #79
WatchAffinity
"TRF" Member

Watch: Affinity
It's an innovative movement and a lot of people desire it but aren't willing to shell out the money for one over the flagship Day Date. I think it's a natural progression that they were planning on, this still keeps it above Sub/GMT territory but still a little obtainable for many customers.

I've always loved the Sky Dweller but for the price would choose a DD. I think this was a smart move that will pay off in the long run. For a long time I never saw myself owning one but now I'm seriously considering buying one, which is good for Rolex...
Old 23 March 2017, 11:32 AM   #80
Tj O'Reily
"TRF" Member

The steel version is offered on the Rolex website in Canada for CAD16,500. I would certainly consider buying one and selling my BLNR GMT and maybe even my Daytona.

But the thought of my grail watch, a Plat DD ever being made in SS is making me rethink that choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tj O'Reily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 11:32 AM   #81
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
I think its super smart. I would never have considered a SkyDweller before because if I was going to spend that money I am either going to buy a vintage Rolex grail type watch or go to a PP. At 14k I would seriously consider it. I have 3 complicated PP's (5712, 5726, 5970) and none of them get worn as I would rather wear on of my rolexes 90% of the time. Now you can buy a Rolex Annual Calendar with 2nd time zone and wear it ANYWHERE. All of that for 14k....thats a "value" in todays watch market.
Daytonaman799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 11:39 AM   #82
Fuselierpa
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
En fuego. Me likey me wantey.
Fuselierpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 11:41 AM   #83
WatchAffinity
"TRF" Member

The DD will never be in anything other than PM.

They know everybody has been drooling over the SkyDweller since it was released and now they've decided to let some more people get in on the action.

As a younger person I never thought it would be obtainable but now I've been considering a TT sub then they hit me with this which makes me seriously consider saving up just a bit more and getting the SD. The added complication of an annual calendar and pure aesthetics at that price point are a game changer. Plus I'm sure they're still making a pretty penny on it when it comes to the profit margin...
Old 23 March 2017, 11:44 AM   #84
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchAffinity View Post
They know everybody has been drooling over the SkyDweller since it was released...
Hmmm...I don't really recall that being the case around here. Either way, I think a steel version was probably a good idea.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 11:47 AM   #85
ivanos
"TRF" Member

Great movement with one of Rolex's major innovation in recent years, for this price point. What more can we ask.
ivanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 11:48 AM   #86
WatchAffinity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
Hmmm...I don't really recall that being the case around here. Either way, I think a steel version was probably a good idea.
There's a few purists on this forum who don't like change, no disrespect to anybody in particular.

I think this is a good move at having the younger customer base start looking up the ladder so to say.
Old 23 March 2017, 11:50 AM   #87
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchAffinity View Post
There's a few purists on this forum who don't like change, no disrespect to anybody in particular.

I think this is a good move at having the younger customer base start looking up the ladder so to say.
Only a few?

douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 11:51 AM   #88
vladamir15
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, VC, Breguet
I don't think it was necessary desperation. It was a smart move to make a complicated and niche watch that wasn't selling into a watch that has the capability to sell. Releasing in both two tone and steel the same year does should how eager they are to move the product. I for one was not considering a all pm skyd when a day date would be more practical. But now with the two tone versions, i am considering it. I even feel the two tone with champagne looks better than the previous existing models. But if rolex ever releases a steel or two tone day date we'll know that the brand has fallen from its graces.

Audemars, Vacheron, Breguet, Jaquet Droz, JLC, Rolex, Omega, Cartier
vladamir15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 11:51 AM   #89
WatchAffinity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
Only a few?

"I hate these stupid Ceramic subs they should have never added a 6th digit, 5 is better than 6 damnit!"
Old 23 March 2017, 11:54 AM   #90
ani22
"TRF" Member

I agree as well that Rolex follows its plan to release SS sky dweller. And not only SS SkyDweller, the movement itself will be installed in other version of day-date model in the future. I'll not understand if it not released in SS version, YM II has, daytona has, all of these also has a complicated movement, why not Sky-D. Because of the flute bezel that blinds us? It s one of Rolex's tool watches, why not.

Besides, in terms of luxury definition, SS can be in the world of it. Look at PP on 5960A or some other grand complication model.
ani22 is offline   Reply With Quote