The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 February 2024, 08:26 PM   #61
Bill2e
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Wise choice.

Buy what you want and don’t settle.
Bill2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 08:33 PM   #62
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
I think you did the right thing.
I've made similar decisions more than once and the AD came through with my first choice less than 3 months after passing every time.
Good luck! Hope to see the white Daytona on your wrist soon.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 08:42 PM   #63
PT_91
"TRF" Member

I have a lot of respect for your decision and hope that you will get the white one by the end of this year!

People telling you about the "big mistake" you've made are the ones who are responsible for the situation this whole market is in, just buying everything that is offered to them which has "Rolex" written on it.
PT_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 08:47 PM   #64
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Let me get this straight. OP, you waited for something and when it came you didn’t find it as nice as you thought, and therefore elegantly declined it?

Wow, how dare you didn’t flip it or buy it for bragging? Don’t you know we are all just in for the bling?
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 08:53 PM   #65
Zyfon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Panerai
I believe you made the right choice. I rather have something I love than something I like, no matter what others may think.
Zyfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 09:22 PM   #66
Mystro
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Now let’s remember the market environment in 2016 was crazy for the newly released 116500LN SS Daytona and we had many members passing on the black for the white.
By 2018 most of those Daytona-less members thought it was a mistake because the market only got tougher with time. These were unprecedented Rolex market times so it was understandable some might have initially held out for the white ss Daytona.
Like myself, these TRF members didn’t know the ss Daytona market wouldn’t calm and progressively get worse. Then Covid hit and well…..

This is just a brief recap of “passing on a SS Daytona” from our TRF history.
Old 23 February 2024, 09:23 PM   #67
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

You unquestionably made the right decision. It’s not like the SA isn’t going to be able to find another customer in 10 seconds who truly wants it. If you had bought the black, you’d have no shot at white for long long time. Unless you’re done with this AD, flipping it isn’t an option. They aren’t dumb, they know you had your heart set on a white and they are going to be expecting to see the black on your wrist to make sure you still have it. Plus, you likely earned respect from this AD for sticking to your guns. Never settle.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 09:40 PM   #68
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
Yeah everybody saying buy it and trade it for a white one doesn’t understand how cultivating and maintaining these AD relationships work.

If you got to the point where the AD offered you a stainless Daytona you don’t need any advice from people on this forum because you know what you are doing.
Hodog16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 09:40 PM   #69
belutak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Variety
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBolton View Post
After years of waiting and begging with relatively moderate spend history compared to some of you ballers, I finally got the call for a stainless Daytona 126500LN. I thought I was dreaming. The only "problem" is that it was the black one.
I had emailed the manager a week prior to say how I've been waiting for a long time, got a big promotion, as well as having my first trip to Switzerland this Summer, and this was how I really wanted to celebrate. Funny how quickly something became available for me!
While I had the black on my list and do want it, I knew it would delay getting the white that I've been pining for, as I was told it would be a little bit before they'd sell me another SS Daytona. My SA convinced me to hold out for the white.
Although he couldn't guarantee when it would come for me, he promised that I'd be his first call when it was his turn to sell one. He said he was 80% sure it would come by the end of the year. It was reassuring to hear him say, "The last thing I want you to do is to look down and wish it were the white every time," and that his advice was to wait--saying it was a matter of "when," not "if." I made sure to tell him I could "literally vomit" if it's this time next year and I still don't have the white after I passed on the black.
I did, of course, go by to look at it to make sure I was making the right choice. I cannot express how hard it was to not buy that black. I never knew I had this much self control. I mean come on... the second hardest to get stainless Rolex, and it's right there at retail.... I know I would've worn the heck out of it and loved it, but I know I'd be still losing my mind waiting for the white, whereas I could easily wait for the black if I had the white.
My hope also is that it helped my credibility further to not look like a flipper since I could've had a $13k payday if those were my intentions.

The black definitely looks better in person than it does in pictures. I love the way the subdial rings reflect light. I didn't initially find it as legible as the white, but I'd probably get used to it. It's definitely a lot more understated than the white and oozes sporty class. Feels more like an IYKYK piece. I've tried on the white 126500 once recently, and it's the clear winner of the two in my book. That being said, having both would not feel redundant at all.
Versus the 116500, the new 12 series wears remarkably similar. The case sides being blocky is the most notable difference to me, but you don't even notice that until you look at it from the side. The dial feels a little more refined, and the bezel ring that I hated in the initial promo photos at release I actually don't mind at all; I think it looks quite good, but again... nowhere near as noticeable as I thought it would be. The 126 black is definitely better looking than the 116 black. whereas the white is about even for me. The watch doesn't really wear any thinner to me like it was made out to be initially, but all I had to compare it to was my 116508 YG Daytona. One final observation is how much more the crystal of my 116508 sticks out vs the 126500. I never thought that was a thick crystal until seeing it side by side.

Here's to hoping for the white soon! I just thought I'd share with my fellow enthusiasts what's made me lose some sleep lately! I know some of you prefer the black, but the white has my heart!

Black dial Daytona is much nicer than the white one. White dial Rolex are only hype. You should have bought it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
belutak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 09:46 PM   #70
nathanjones05
"TRF" Member

This
nathanjones05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 09:47 PM   #71
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Buy the watch you want - that should be the general guidance for all. You made the right choice
2001jesper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 09:57 PM   #72
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Too much depends on the AD and so many things can happen with your SA and the AD that are out of your control. I hope it works out for you but I would have taken the black dial and enjoyed it until it was my turn at a white dial. "One on the wrist is worth 10 on the list."
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 10:13 PM   #73
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

OP right call. No worries. Fingers crossed for you.

Now that's one less black better than white Daytona thread of some member trying to consider himself and others

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
JacksonRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 10:21 PM   #74
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBolton View Post
I've got a buddy who told me at length how it was a mistake, but my SA seemed so confident he'll come through for me that I still think I made the right call. We'll see in the next several months!
Hope your AD lasts the year. Bird in the hand and all that...
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 10:37 PM   #75
drrd
"TRF" Member

Irritated and quite saddened to read this.

You got a call not the call.

And reading that someone could ‘literally vomit’ over not getting a Daytona…

Whatever.
drrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 10:52 PM   #76
OTX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
"One on the wrist is worth 10 on the list."
I like that saying
OTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 10:56 PM   #77
joa
"TRF" Member

i think the OP's reasoning is sound, as the saying "only buy what you truly want to own" ideally trumps all other considerations
Old 23 February 2024, 11:03 PM   #78
Yobber76

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
I think I would have bought it, while pursuing a white one. You never know, you might end up loving the black.
If you didn't want to keep it, it has great sale/trade value toward something else.
Yobber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 11:40 PM   #79
PenDelicate
"TRF" Member

Watch: Just a Daytona
You must really, really love white dials.

I would have settled in a heartbeat and swapped the dial after a year or two if I didn't like it.

There's "Only buy what you love" and "I love this woman with all my heart, she's kind, intelligent and she helps me be a better man. But she has freckle so I passed."
PenDelicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 11:45 PM   #80
pedersenkl
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, GMT, Sub
No right or wrong answer on the decision.

If you truly want the Daytona white dial, it’s okay to pass and wait. Just recognize that wait could be short, long or never happen. All depends on your AD relationship.

If it were me, I would have grabbed the Daytona black. It’s a gorgeous timepiece also, one very hard to come by through an AD…even if slightly less demand vs the white dial.

Good luck! I hope your Daytona white dial comes in soon!
pedersenkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 11:57 PM   #81
Zerouali
"TRF" Member

All the folk calling “mistake” are the reason we can’t all get the watch that we want!

Buy what you really want and everyone gets their watch.

Or buy and flip and inflate prices and keep the whole unobtanium merry-go-round going
Zerouali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 12:14 AM   #82
Calatrava r

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Sounds like they will come through on the white dial. So, you made the right move to get what you want.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 12:57 AM   #83
Goldilock
"TRF" Member

If the whole waiting list practice were transparent then I would suggest that waiting for the white is wise. However the waiting list practice is so blurry that noone knows 1) how many VIPs are in line for the white in front of our friend, 2) how many new VIPs are going to appear wanting a white, 3) how long the SA is going to stay with the shop, 4) how AD registers this "offered one but declined".

My example. I was on the list for 3 years for a BLRO with oyster. After 3 years I got offered a BLRO with Jubilee. First I declined saying that I prefer to wait for the oyster. My SA convinced me to take it now because he couldn't guarantee an other one. He said that the shop manager distributes the hard pieces among his sales people and my SA might not get an other one for "his" clients for long time. It is a strange system in bigger ADs. If I refuse then my SA gives it to an other client of his, and not back to the manager. So my SA uses his allocation (that might be like 1 blro/year) and has no idea when his manager allocate him an other one with oyster. And if a big fish comes in in the meantime with a large purchase then his wish will have priority before mine. So I took the blro with jubilee and ordered an oyster bracelet extra for 2k EUR.
Goldilock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 01:20 AM   #84
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

I initially wanted the white but got the call for the black back around 2018. It was a no-brainer and took the black and fell in love with it.

Then came the call for the white dial a few years later and when I had both, it was clear to me that I like the black dial way more and that has been the keeper. YMMV
Old 24 February 2024, 01:21 AM   #85
Tylerlsu2008
"TRF" Member

If you liked black a lot, but white was “grail”, I would have taken it and got the white one day in due course.

If white is what you really want, and black was meh to you, then you made the right call.

It’s just a watch guys…
Tylerlsu2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 01:26 AM   #86
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
the black one is the one to go with for the 12 series.
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 02:02 AM   #87
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Wait for the one you want. If they offered you a black version then they will offer you a white eventually. Dont listen to all these keyboard warriors telling you how you made some big mistake. Congrats in advance!

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 02:26 AM   #88
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodog16 View Post
Yeah everybody saying buy it and trade it for a white one doesn’t understand how cultivating and maintaining these AD relationships work.

If you got to the point where the AD offered you a stainless Daytona you don’t need any advice from people on this forum because you know what you are doing.
Came to post this. In fact if you turn one down for a different one, you’re gaining clout with the AD if anything.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 02:37 AM   #89
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro Watch View Post
The same thing happened to me, and about a month later, I got the white one.

Sent from my SM-S911U1 using Tapatalk
Well done
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 02:52 AM   #90
karleone
"TRF" Member

The white dial is much more difficult to get than black. Good luck hope the white won’t take too much time!
karleone is offline   Reply With Quote