The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 April 2020, 04:17 AM   #61
planemad
"TRF" Member

I feel this is a good thing. My hope is that ADs do more mini shows at AD level (lock in’s) where fans at our level can see the new product whether it be Rolex, PP or any other brand and have some nice sandwiches and drinks.
planemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 04:26 AM   #62
RJG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
If very new to all of these things like : Baselworld - and I've never been. I'd really have liked to, though !

Baselworld just isnt the only platform for showcasing these luxury pieces.

Rolex and Tudor just got burned from the hard line NO refund answer from the management @ Baselworld though. They got stung badly.

" However, there has been a great deal of contention between Baselworld fair management (MCH Group) and the big brands, with some of it surrounding refund policies for the canceled 2020 show. The head of the Baselworld Exhibitors Committee, Hubert du Plessix, also a Rolex executive wrote a letter last week asking for refunds to be issued to exhibitors and indicating that if they were not, “we fear this will be the end, pure and simple, of Baselworld.”
RJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 04:45 AM   #63
N2theCAPE
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sky-Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemad View Post
I feel this is a good thing. My hope is that ADs do more mini shows at AD level (lock in’s) where fans at our level can see the new product whether it be Rolex, PP or any other brand and have some nice sandwiches and drinks.
I've always loved this idea, I know from time to time AD's do buying events or just events but it would be nice to have them available to more people. I've always wanted to go to Baselworld but it's crazy expensive with everything involved.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
N2theCAPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 04:52 AM   #64
N2theCAPE
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sky-Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major69 View Post
Since the release goes out its way to mention that the new event will be geared to "retailers and VIP customers", in all likelihood that means less public access to watches.
Wasn't it really geared to this target market before anyway? I'm sure Baselworld saw more repeat visitors than new one's every year so don't you see it also redundant from that perspective as well?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
N2theCAPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 06:31 AM   #65
Kirsty87
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day Date 36mm
One step closer to brands bypassing AD's
Kirsty87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 06:44 AM   #66
tyngshen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsty87 View Post
One step closer to brands bypassing AD's
Wrong, Rolex and Patek have repeatedly stated their commitment to ADs.

Don't see them going in AP's direction anytime soon.
tyngshen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 06:48 AM   #67
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
I was always irritated that Rolex would introduce new watches at Basel but they were hard to get, and stayed that way for a very long time. In another hobby of mine, the AD's have a bunch of stock in advance which they cannot sell until "The XXXX Show" and then they are instantly available. I fail to see why Rolex couldn't do the same.
Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 07:39 AM   #68
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
it's the right thing to do
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 07:42 AM   #69
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaye View Post
But I do sort of feel like the brand is leaving people like me, who helped build the brand, behind in a rush toward exclusivity.
Your comment above, and others like it, is a fair conclusion. Yet if i pretty please with sugar on top may say...

WARNING: You Might Not Like Hearing The Below

Have been to well over 150 luxury events / shows over the years in many different countries. Yes, most are open to the public, with perhaps a single day ONLY for the industry/retailers/distributors/press/etc. Other events, for example, what was once the wonderful CES, was/is open only to those within the industry.

If i may say, perhaps the timepiece and luxury jewelry industry wants to have an event to focus on their business and press members, plus a splash of VIP (to glad-hand them and of course to grab headlines in publications as so-and-so attended _____ wearing the latest from ______).

IF a show allows the public, you have not only added security issues, there's also the time/effort/human resources towards the public. This is not a judgement mind you for or against anyone, it is that an INDUSTRY EVENT allows manufacturers / distributors / exhibitors the time to focus on business.... whereas a PUBLIC EVENT must also bring in resources to handle that.

So yeah, i get it. What was once a nice show also open to the public went ka-plooey. We're sad, shit happens. We'll get over it.

GOOD NEWS (possibly)
Perhaps one day there may be a variety of public timepiece and luxury jewelry shows at different locations worldwide each year. High fashion, luxury home audio, and many other consumer goods industries have multiple events each year at different locations worldwide.

The world is filled with possibilities. Now comes the goal of who has the firepower to put on multiple shows worldwide for the public.... and how they can gain the trust of the industry to support such events.

jmho ymmv
objects in mirror are losing

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 08:08 AM   #70
dchernikoff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub LV
From their website I see that "Watches and Wonders" has two shows, one in Geneva and one in Miami. I wonder if Rolex and PP will participate in the Miami show as well, now?

-Dan
"Wear the watch, don't let the watch wear you!"
dchernikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 08:53 AM   #71
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Your comment above, and others like it, is a fair conclusion. Yet if i pretty please with sugar on top may say...

Have been to well over 150 luxury events / shows over the years in many different countries. Yes, most are open to the public, with perhaps a single day ONLY for the industry/retailers/distributors/press/etc. Other events, for example, what was once the wonderful CES, was/is open only to those within the industry.

If i may say, perhaps the timepiece and luxury jewelry industry wants to have an event to focus on their business and press members, plus a splash of VIP (to glad-hand them and of course to grab headlines in publications as so-and-so attended _____ wearing the latest from ______).

IF a show allows the public, you have not only added security issues, there's also the time/effort/human resources towards the public. This is not a judgement mind you for or against anyone, it is that an INDUSTRY EVENT allows manufacturers / distributors / exhibitors the time to focus on business.... whereas a PUBLIC EVENT must also bring in resources to handle that.

So yeah, i get it. What was once a nice show also open to the public went ka-plooey. We're sad, shit happens. We'll get over it.

GOOD NEWS (possibly)
Perhaps one day there may be a variety of public timepiece and luxury jewelry shows at different locations worldwide each year. High fashion, luxury home audio, and many other consumer goods industries have multiple events each year at different locations worldwide.

The world is filled with possibilities. Now comes the goal of who has the firepower to put on multiple shows worldwide for the public.... and how they can gain the trust of the industry to support such events.

jmho ymmv
Not a bad way to look at things. I appreciate you sharing that.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 09:19 AM   #72
Wck88
Banned

Is this the end of Baselworld?
Wck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 09:34 AM   #73
Ntoz
Banned

Can't blame them really.
Ntoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 12:09 PM   #74
eurofunk
"TRF" Member

Baselworld responds
eurofunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 12:14 PM   #75
GreatScott
"TRF" Member

Have you ever noticed that with each parting brand the heads at Basel always say they communicated about every decision with the brands but the brands claim otherwise.

They confuse talking to with talking at. That is not a partnership.

Just another sign that if you don’t change your business, then business will change for you.

Sorry Basel, I liked visiting, but hated getting gouged.
GreatScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 12:15 PM   #76
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
The “New watch show” by Rolex and PP is designed to be a lot more exclusive and more VIP in who attends. This just confirms Rolex is indeed targeting a more upscale image with their watches. Considering PP and Rolex are using the same targeted demographic with this new joint show, it’s easy to read the direction Rolex is moving their watches.
Maybe, but it also strikes me that Rolex/Tudor, PP, Chanel and Chopard are all fully independent companies. Luxury conglomerates need not apply, it seems.

I like it.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 12:33 PM   #77
Flyfisher
"TRF" Member

If Rolex continues to be unable to supply inventory to retailers, who cares when, where or how they display their new watches.

Its all vaporware.
Flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 12:52 PM   #78
dchernikoff
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post

GOOD NEWS (possibly)

jmho ymmv
Nice way to look at it, but it seems unlikely. The reason I say this is that I used to go to the "International Motorcycle Show" every year -- a similar type of show as what you are suggesting -- but they have consistently been reducing the number of shows/locations per year, and now there isn't one in my area. And frankly, I'll bet the customer base for Motorcycles is bigger that that for luxury watches. Same with Audio shows -- there used to be several in my area every year, 10 years ago, and now there are none. That, plus I suspect in the aftermath of COVID-19, many people will reevaluate these big everyone-welcome gatherings and they will become much less popular. At least for the next several years. I think the big shows like that are a thing of the past for every industry.

-Dan
Old 15 April 2020, 12:58 PM   #79
dchernikoff
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurofunk View Post
I like this quote from their response:

Quote:
More than ever before, it sees an opportunity to develop a modern platform in the watch and jewellery industry for brands that do not rely primarily on tradition, but above all on innovation.
Is that a dig at Rolex???

-Dan
Old 15 April 2020, 02:01 PM   #80
Theoffice
"TRF" Member

Watch: Chnr, hulk, sub d
Rolex was standing up for the smaller watch brands, good for them , Baselworld wouldn’t refund anyone on a technicality
Basel thought they were bluffing, I hope they get shut down for good
Theoffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 02:20 PM   #81
gtnator
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
They should do it in person and live stream too, like an Apple iPhone release event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gtnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 10:16 PM   #82
Gee2789
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1967 Doxa 300 no-T
While Basel has been taking about “innovation” going forwards it’s likely too little too late. The show was already heading towards life support and large brands do not like negative associations.

My wild conjecture is that Rolex and Co had a contingency plan in case Basel’s reformat and restart was a dud. By developing a separate option in parallel it would allow them to quickly transition if need be.
Gee2789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 10:45 PM   #83
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

"...discussions concerning the financial arrangements for the cancellation of Baselworld 2020 are now being put forward as an argument." -- Baselworld

i look forward to Baselword explaining their reasoning behind not proving a full refund to exhibitors as MANY shows are doing. As a journalist, I just sent an e-mail to Baselword asking for their reasoning.

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 11:28 PM   #84
descartes
"TRF" Member

Well I am a bit disappointed because Basel is much more convenient to get to from my city than Geneva, and I have been able to combine the trip to Baselworld with business in Zurich (which is close to Basel) in the past.

Also, as a point of information, the Messe Basel is about 50% larger than the new Geneva venue which makes sense given that the show will no longer be consumer oriented and a smaller size venue will therefore be more appropriate.

Whether the show will be open at all to the general public is a big question. It will be a shame if it’s not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 16 April 2020, 11:08 AM   #85
ejj
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Rolex and Patek have said that they support the dealers, and this move proves it. They are continuing a Trade Show. Dealers and Press, for the most part.

Basel kept saying they were going to be a public portal for year-round watch events and news. How is that not competing with the dealers and the press? The internet has become the public watch platform, with Hodinkee and Friends leading the way. The local dealers need to add value as well.
ejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2020, 11:28 AM   #86
illiguy
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Rolex led the charge (Tudor as a byproduct), and Patek, Chanel and Chopard followed. Make no mistake, this is a press, dealer and VIP commitment that brings back “order” and predictability to a conservative Swiss watch industry. The downstream impact is less access to the everyday watch enthusiast, with downward obligation on AD networks to cocktail hour and put on in-store “reveal” events several months later as production ramps up to make new models available to ... VIPs. Rolex et al. left Baselworld because they were put in the rare position where they did not have ability to call the shots. The hubris of Baselworld MCH Group was thinking that they were bigger than the Swiss watchmaking giants they depend on (and survive because). They died on the hill of their hubris. RIP April 2020.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2020, 11:59 AM   #87
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiguy View Post
Rolex led the charge (Tudor as a byproduct), and Patek, Chanel and Chopard followed. Make no mistake, this is a press, dealer and VIP commitment that brings back “order” and predictability to a conservative Swiss watch industry. The downstream impact is less access to the everyday watch enthusiast, with downward obligation on AD networks to cocktail hour and put on in-store “reveal” events several months later as production ramps up to make new models available to ... VIPs. Rolex et al. left Baselworld because they were put in the rare position where they did not have ability to call the shots. The hubris of Baselworld MCH Group was thinking that they were bigger than the Swiss watchmaking giants they depend on (and survive because). They died on the hill of their hubris. RIP April 2020.
Very good point. Baselworld grossly overvalued their own worth.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 08:35 PM   #88
eurofunk
"TRF" Member

LVMH Brands, Hublot etc leaves Baselworld as well
eurofunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 09:42 PM   #89
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et

Breaking news

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk