The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 15 January 2010, 04:37 AM   #61
Denver Dick
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DateJust 16013
I find it interesting that the package arrived at Memphis in the wee hours of Christmas day. I would think very few if any supervisors were on duty resulting in a lot of opportunity for someone to get a good idea what was in the package. They could then slip out with the relatively small package . . . maybe while the sleepy supervisor was having a little Christmas cheer.

I'm a firearms collector and when I ship a handgun to a firearms dealer via UPS or FedEx, the carriers require that it go overnight. Several years ago, that was not the case, but the carriers found that if the handgun package stayed in the system any longer than overnight, the chances of getting lifted by an employee grew tremendously. Those of us who ship such items have learned never to ship a handgun on a day where the next day is a weekend or holiday. If the handgun stays in the system longer than 24 hours, it's just too risky. It needs to be moving and when FedEx is up and rolling it moves fast. Once the line shuts down, bad guys have a chance to examine smaller packages and figure out what's probably in them based on weight, size and insured/declared value. Interestingly, long guns can be shipped via ground . . . it seems they're just too "long" to be stuffed in a backback, gym bag, lunch bucket or briefcase.

Interestly, I recently found out that my AD ships Rolex watches to the RSC via FedEx priority overnight, but they only ship on Mondays and Wednesdays avoiding all the Monday and Friday holidays as well as weekends. Back in November, the RSC shipped my watch back to the AD after servicing via USPS Registered Mail.

FedEx works at having a great overnight reputation, but this kind of stuff really undermines that . . .

Old 15 January 2010, 04:42 AM   #62
Brit78
"TRF" Member

That totally sux Greg. Sorry to hear that this has not been resolved and has only gotten worse.
Old 15 January 2010, 04:44 AM   #63
dukester
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2 SS Daytonas(W&B)
Greg, get those suckers!! I am very sorry to hear about your loss. Let me know if I can be of any help. This type of stupid explanation makes no sense whatsoever!!!

WHY WOULD THEY CHARGE INSURANCE FOR THE FULL AMOUNT AND EXPECT YOU TO READ THE FINE PRINT??? EVEN WHEN ONE OF THEIR EMPLOYEE IS CONTRADICTING THE FINE PRINT, TELLING YOU THAT IT WILL BE COVERED??

I can't fathom that they expect us to read the entire fine print and still charge you for insuring the full amount, when under full disclosure they know its a ROLEX watch!!! Sue their a$$es.....I really hope this works out for you!!
Old 15 January 2010, 04:50 AM   #64
vitix
Banned

Watch: magneeleVE
Greg, PM me.. i work for FedEx and i want too see what can i do from here to help you...
Old 15 January 2010, 04:54 AM   #65
Zirotti
"TRF" Member

Watch: Invicta
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersnyder View Post
They don't limit the insurance, you simply have to buy the insurance. If you don't, you lose in case of an accident.
Fedex limits insurance at $500 for jewelery and watches, as per Mosco's other thread.
Old 15 January 2010, 04:54 AM   #66
tandrup
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitix View Post
Greg, PM me.. i work for FedEx and i want too see what can i do from here to help you...
Victor, nice gesture!!! I like your attitude!
Georg Jensen 2347
Old 15 January 2010, 04:54 AM   #67
boa2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
Quote:
Originally Posted by justrolexes View Post
The Maximun insurance you're allowed to buy from Fedex is $500.
the USPS is $5000 and UPS could go up to $50K
so if you were to use Fedex you will have to have your own insurance on the side...like parcel pro or similar companies..
BTW, If you use USPS Registered Mail, you can insure to $25,000
Old 15 January 2010, 04:55 AM   #68
Sweramic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Movies
Quote:
Originally Posted by tandrup View Post
Victor, nice gesture!!! I like your attitude!
I agree! Really nice gesture Victor
Old 15 January 2010, 04:55 AM   #69
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukester View Post
WHY WOULD THEY CHARGE INSURANCE FOR THE FULL AMOUNT AND EXPECT YOU TO READ THE FINE PRINT??? EVEN WHEN ONE OF THEIR EMPLOYEE IS CONTRADICTING THE FINE PRINT, TELLING YOU THAT IT WILL BE COVERED??
I find that incredibly irritating also. In my previous ignorance, when I shipped my two watches to South Carolina via FedEx Overnight Express, the clerk asked what was in the box and happily allowed me to buy $8,200 in insurance, knowing full well that they would only honor $500 of that amount. I will never ship with them again.
Old 15 January 2010, 05:00 AM   #70
dukester
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2 SS Daytonas(W&B)
Quote:

Great gesture my friend!!
Old 15 January 2010, 05:03 AM   #71
gt3pilot
"TRF" Member

Watch: this
Rolex USA only ships USPS Registered Mail. There's a reason for that.

-Scott B.
Old 15 January 2010, 05:03 AM   #72
AWATCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
Greg, thanks for keeping us informed, sorry to hear it has not been resolved yet, sounds like several folks here will be looking for new shippers.
Good luck

Al
Old 15 January 2010, 05:17 AM   #73
cornerstore
"TRF" Member

"Furthermore, upon inquiring and being told that there is a $5000+ watch in the package, he didn't bat an eye and accepted our parcel."
I'd be looking at this guy first.
Old 15 January 2010, 05:31 AM   #74
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Watch: I like to...
Quote:
Thank You, my friend. PM coming.

and I hope the rest DO understand that I am not downing ALL people that work for FedEx. Unfortunately, the moment parcel leaves my possession, the new (hopefully temporary) owner of it takes an ominous face of the corporation - just the reality of things. Clearly, I only mean those who are careless, thoughtless, or malicious. The guy who delivers FedEx to me is one of the nicest fellas I've ever dealt with!

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Old 15 January 2010, 05:32 AM   #75
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick09 View Post
"Furthermore, upon inquiring and being told that there is a $5000+ watch in the package, he didn't bat an eye and accepted our parcel."
I'd be looking at this guy first.
Sad thing is - he is just some young kid who was probably just a) misinformed or b) stupid. But thief - doubtful.

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Old 15 January 2010, 05:38 AM   #76
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 SUBMARINER Sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: Me!!!
Victor...I sometimes use fedex for my shipping..and pay like$45-55 max for a watch not more than 3lbs..Yesterday i shipped a watch via Fedex Overnight and this is what they charge me...$67.90!!!!!!!! HOLY MOLLY!!! HAHAHAHA and its not even insured...did you guys jack up your price???Its basically just overnight...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05697.jpg (41.9 KB, 447 views)
Old 15 January 2010, 05:55 AM   #77
galloman
"TRF" Member

I really hope for the best in this situation. It's terrible to hear that such a company like Fedex will refuse to provide you with a fair resolution.
Old 15 January 2010, 06:04 AM   #78
Sweramic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodybump View Post
Victor...I sometimes use fedex for my shipping..and pay like$45-55 max for a watch not more than 3lbs..Yesterday i shipped a watch via Fedex Overnight and this is what they charge me...$67.90!!!!!!!! HOLY MOLLY!!! HAHAHAHA and its not even insured...did you guys jack up your price???Its basically just overnight...
That is really expensive. If you want to ship a valuble item nationally in Sweden, you will be charge about $35 for a watch, and then it's insured up to $7000!
Old 15 January 2010, 06:14 AM   #79
Pep04
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc, Pam320
Greg,

Have you considered that the kid that asked you what was in the box could be the one that stole it. I mean, he takes it from you and says no problem sir. Then when you ealk out the door and turn the corner.... YOINKS!!!!! I just got me a new Rolex GRATIS!!!!

Try and see if the counter guy, conveniently, quit no too long after you visited the store.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin
Prick #8
Old 15 January 2010, 06:18 AM   #80
Sweramic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pep04 View Post
Greg,

Have you considered that the kid that asked you what was in the box could be the one that stole it. I mean, he takes it from you and says no problem sir. Then when you ealk out the door and turn the corner.... YOINKS!!!!! I just got me a new Rolex GRATIS!!!!

Try and see if the counter guy, conveniently, quit no too long after you visited the store.
That could be the case. And if it wasn't him, he could just as well have told another employee that "man, this guy came in.. it's obviously a $5k watch in this box". I would try to get in contact with him and ask if he told anyone else that there was a watch in there.
Old 15 January 2010, 06:19 AM   #81
rerubin

Watch: Rolex Milgauss GV
FedEx is the absolute pits. I found that out when I shipped a computer and it got "lost".

They rely on temps much more than do UPS and USPS. Never use them for valuable merchandise. They are OK for documents.

That remark about them having "very good lawyers" is unbelievable. I suggest you file five separate law suits against them:

1. Fraud -- per the employee's behavior;
2. Liability under a paid bailment;
3. Theft of merchandise;
4. Breach of contract;
5. Negligence.

Suggest you file each in Federal court and ask for summary judgment. The above should be done in consultation with an attorney, of course, and in addition, after you send a Demand Letter to their headquarters, addressed to the President and CEO, via certified mail.

If they get the message that you will keep after them relentlessly, they may decide to pay you as a cheaper alternative to paying all those "very good lawyers."

Good luck.
Old 15 January 2010, 06:21 AM   #82
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Icon4 How do I know it was THEFT

This has been asked several times, so let me clear the air.

I don't know 100% that it was stolen, as I don't have any tangible proof.

HOWEVER

Sometimes, LOGIC has to prevail. Mr. Efkeman didn't clearly say 'your watch, Sir, was stolen'. No BUT - process of elimination is, indeed, a process for a reason. The steps were traced and re-traced... The 'over goods' (place where all unfortunate parcels go) was checked and re-checked. If it can be anywhere in Memphis, it would have been found (may be). The last person who touched it before it left Cincinnati was nearly interrogated (or, so I was told, kinda), sorry, lady! Then, when it arrived to Memphis, all they know is that the PLANE arrived. HEAR THIS: The Memphis entry could be inaccurate because they 1st 'scan the plane the parcel was SUPPOSED to be on' and only THEN scan the individual packages.

So then - what? It left Cinci (the don't have footage because cameras don't work good at night ), it never made it to Memphis.

a) It was stolen on the flight
b) It was stolen coming into Memphis Hub, or
c) Santa was short one gift on Christmas and took it.

If it is the latter, I'll just have to chalk it off.

Rant over, sorry.

Old 15 January 2010, 06:22 AM   #83
gt3pilot
"TRF" Member

Watch: this
Quote:
Greg,

By his tracking info his box made it to Memphis, so It's kinda doubtful that it was taken at the Kinko's store. That would take some real work by the kid that accepted it and someone in Memphis to take the box out of the system.

-Scott B.
Old 15 January 2010, 06:23 AM   #84
Ken Cox
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
What a valuable thread.

Thank you for sharing your difficulties with us.

In the future, I will avoid FedEx like the plague.

If I understand everything correctly, the United States Postal Service seems like the only reliable means of transporting important objects.

No more FedEx, ever, for me.
Old 15 January 2010, 06:23 AM   #85
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Greg,

Thought about it. He ain't that smart. Plus, it was handled at CVG (local airport), just before boarding for Memphis.

Old 15 January 2010, 06:26 AM   #86
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodybump View Post
The FedEx Overnight charge for mailing watches in a four pound box from Minnesota to South Carolina with $8,000 in insurance ($7,500 of that being wasted) was $160!
Old 15 January 2010, 06:31 AM   #87
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
I wish you good luck with this tragedy!

♕126610 ♕126333
Breitling Avenger A17318
Old 15 January 2010, 06:31 AM   #88
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukester View Post

Great gesture my friend!!
Yes it is. Good job, Victor.
Old 15 January 2010, 06:31 AM   #89
brkanand
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 4=YMDaytonaGMTHulk
FIGHT it out - tooth and nail, my friend. I understand the turmoil you are going through.
Old 15 January 2010, 06:32 AM   #90
Pep04
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc, Pam320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosco View Post
Thought about it. He ain't that smart. Plus, it was handled at CVG (local airport), just before boarding for Memphis.
COming from a city like Miami, I believe anything is possible. What if he took the watch out of the box and put you label on another box? If there are two labels, the item cannot be delivered. Maybe they figured your label came second so they ripped it off and in the trash it went.

Then there is no package with your name to be located. It just doesn't make sense that at another city, they would know that it carried a watch. The manifest is kept separate from the package.

Or worst, they found an empty box. They opened it knowing the sensitivity of the issue, and found it was stolen, so they tell you that they can't find it. I mean if there is no box, there is no crime. You can't prove that the watch was ever in the box to begin with. I know it sounds harsh and I don't mean to be so curt, but it is a possibility and a reality of proof. The supervisor might think that you are pulling a fast one on FedEx.

Maybe I'm paranoid. But, coming growing up in Miami, I know of so many scams that I don't trust anyone.

Good Luck

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin
Prick #8
Closed Thread