The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 February 2018, 06:06 PM   #61
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Went with 6 at 12 o'clock and 4.5 at 6 o'clock. Looks pretty much perfect to me. I'll wear it for a few days to make sure but I think I'm all set.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 04:36 AM   #62
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Went with 6 at 12 o'clock and 4.5 at 6 o'clock. Looks pretty much perfect to me. I'll wear it for a few days to make sure but I think I'm all set.

Nice!

I'm tempted to try this myself.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 05:05 AM   #63
samson66
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
Nice!

I'm tempted to try this myself.
It seems to put the clasp closest to dead center.

samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2018, 01:42 PM   #64
Eric455
"TRF" Member

Amazing watch

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Eric455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 06:12 AM   #65
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Hi and welcome.

My SD43 on pretty much the same wrist size and shape as yours fits perfectly with 4 links on the six o’clock side and 5 links on the 12 o’clock side.

I would definitely recommend removing the divers extension for a much more comfortable fit.

Can’t remember how it was configured originally, sorry

Thanks devil dog. Did your set up and worked out perfect !! Much better without diver extension. My wrist is 6.75.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 07:07 AM   #66
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrpdc View Post
Thanks devil dog. Did your set up and worked out perfect !! Much better without diver extension. My wrist is 6.75.

It’s incredibly comfortable when correcty fitted

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 07:26 AM   #67
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
I’ve got 4 links at 6 o clock and 5 at the 12 o clock and the divers extension is removed...fits beautifully on me with the glidelock in the middle.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2018, 06:43 AM   #68
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
So I'm at a 5:5 size right now, I experimented a little with 4:6 but didn't like it.

I've seen a rash of people dumping their SD43s in the for sale forum, most have said "it's too big" but that's an individual judgement depending on perceived fit, comfort and wrist shape. I've also found this watch more challenging than other pieces, mostly due to weight.

Recently I made a discovery that may help someone: I loosened the glidelock a notch instead going with the prevailing wisdom on the forum. Many have said "the SD43 must be worn snug" but this wasn't working for me. I found the bracelet caused pain due to tightness and if the watch slipped down by my wrist it tended to make my entire wrist bind.

With the bracelet adjusted slightly on the loose side it wears like my GMT did before, like this:
- If I puff up on a hot day, it still doesn't feel too tight, just a little more snug than before
- When driving the watch will slide up my arm a little ways, past the wrist bone. The case back doesn't seem to make the watch float, it seems to disappear.
- When walking it may stay where it was, or may flop down toward my hand. But my wrist and hand remain flexible and there's no digging, the fat caseback actually serves to keep the watch elevated just right.

Note: I keep the bracelet only slightly looser than before. The head doesn't flop around and is certainly nothing like Chip Gaines and his SD! (LOL)

My theory on why the SD43 in particular is challenging to get used to:
- The new 22mm bracelet is very stiff in the sideways plane. Of course the links fold as they ought to, but in the orthganol plane the bracelet is exceptionally solid. Mine still sqeaks after a couple months of use!
- The stiff bracelet doesn't allow the watch head to align itself along the arm. A worn or flexible bracelet would have some 'give', allowing the head to pivot slightly. On this SD the head and bracelet feel like they're made of one piece! Over time I expect this will "break in" a little, but that could be many years.
- Backing off the tightness of the bracelet adjustment mimics a worn bracelet by providing just a little more "give"

One poster suggested living with the watch for an entire year before deciding what to do. I'm firmly in this camp since I love everything about this watch.

YMMV
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2018, 07:16 AM   #69
Valhala
Banned

Blue loctite should be good
Valhala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2018, 12:27 AM   #70
Out Island
"TRF" Member

For me with a wrist of 7.25 or so I have 5.5 at the 12 and 5 at the six fits perfect. Love the glidlock takes 5 seconds to tighten or loosen up through out the day.

Wore my 16800 the other day definitely lighter on the wrist but i don't think i can I can go back to a non glidelock watch.

Guess i need to buy another sub...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2195.jpg (151.6 KB, 206 views)
Out Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2018, 07:12 AM   #71
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
Some very helpful posts on this thread that enables me to get it right the first time.

Let me know what you think about fit :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roger Lococco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 11:00 AM   #72
CAN_VAN7
"TRF" Member

I did 6 links on 12 and 4 links on 6. A bit extreme but really keeps watch from flopping to 12:00 side.
CAN_VAN7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 02:13 AM   #73
Brownb2110
"TRF" Member

I’ve heard keeping the screws/pins with the corresponding link is important? When removing the divers extension, you’ll remove two screws and only need one when putting the bracelet back together. Which screw do you retain, the bottom or the top? Or does it matter?
Brownb2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 02:48 AM   #74
marc2828
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,LV,SD43,PAMs
Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
So I'm at a 5:5 size right now, I experimented a little with 4:6 but didn't like it.

I've seen a rash of people dumping their SD43s in the for sale forum, most have said "it's too big" but that's an individual judgement depending on perceived fit, comfort and wrist shape. I've also found this watch more challenging than other pieces, mostly due to weight.

Recently I made a discovery that may help someone: I loosened the glidelock a notch instead going with the prevailing wisdom on the forum. Many have said "the SD43 must be worn snug" but this wasn't working for me. I found the bracelet caused pain due to tightness and if the watch slipped down by my wrist it tended to make my entire wrist bind.

With the bracelet adjusted slightly on the loose side it wears like my GMT did before, like this:
- If I puff up on a hot day, it still doesn't feel too tight, just a little more snug than before
- When driving the watch will slide up my arm a little ways, past the wrist bone. The case back doesn't seem to make the watch float, it seems to disappear.
- When walking it may stay where it was, or may flop down toward my hand. But my wrist and hand remain flexible and there's no digging, the fat caseback actually serves to keep the watch elevated just right.

Note: I keep the bracelet only slightly looser than before. The head doesn't flop around and is certainly nothing like Chip Gaines and his SD! (LOL)

My theory on why the SD43 in particular is challenging to get used to:
- The new 22mm bracelet is very stiff in the sideways plane. Of course the links fold as they ought to, but in the orthganol plane the bracelet is exceptionally solid. Mine still sqeaks after a couple months of use!
- The stiff bracelet doesn't allow the watch head to align itself along the arm. A worn or flexible bracelet would have some 'give', allowing the head to pivot slightly. On this SD the head and bracelet feel like they're made of one piece! Over time I expect this will "break in" a little, but that could be many years.
- Backing off the tightness of the bracelet adjustment mimics a worn bracelet by providing just a little more "give"

One poster suggested living with the watch for an entire year before deciding what to do. I'm firmly in this camp since I love everything about this watch.

YMMV
pretty interesting and humorous post above.

I have a 7" flat very sensitive wrist....my most comfortable watch is a Casio Protrek on a rubber strap...weighs like 86grams. I sleep and shower with it. The Breitling Pilot, and Panerai deployant buckles annoyed me a lot.

My SD 43 has only the diver extension out (don't lose this, Rolex does not sell separately).

5 + 2 little links at 12 o'clock
5 at 6 o'clock

I keep the glidelock with 3 little lines showing. Wears loose and fine in the heat. In the winter, I will probably make a touch smaller.
marc2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 04:59 AM   #75
SentimentalSub
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Omega
I have a 7.25” wrist and The AD recommended to keep the dive extension in the box when we did the sizing. (for comfort) I ended up with 5 links on the 6 o’clock and 5 1/2 on the 12 o’clock (not icluding the glidelock adjustment link) IMHO Rolex really nailed it with the 43mm case as it sits nice on the wrist without a costant reminder of its heft and size.

-
SentimentalSub is offline   Reply With Quote