The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 September 2010, 11:16 PM   #61
Nicko
Banned

Here you go guys, the Corvus arrived yesterday and I'm still not sure how to evaluate it as I have only had it on my 5513 for a matter of hours. Later, If I can manage to wear it for an extended period of time (I simply love my 9315 on my 5513) I will evaluate it more in depth. First, let me say that it is thinner than other natos that I have, not sure how that will play out in the long run as far a durability. It looks nice, darker than I expected, but still nice. The strap is very long, making it a little difficult to get the wrapping the way I like it, the extra "keeper" strap I do not like, I may end up cutting it off at some point. Here's a picture, I bought the 18mm so I could get that unstrapped look, I kinda like it....Enjoy!

Nicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2010, 11:30 PM   #62
jake
"TRF" Member

Watch: Green Submariner
Nicko,

That is a great look!!!!!!

Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
Here you go guys, the Corvus arrived yesterday and I'm still not sure how to evaluate it as I have only had it on my 5513 for a matter of hours. Later, If I can manage to wear it for an extended period of time (I simply love my 9315 on my 5513) I will evaluate it more in depth. First, let me say that it is thinner than other natos that I have, not sure how that will play out in the long run as far a durability. It looks nice, darker than I expected, but still nice. The strap is very long, making it a little difficult to get the wrapping the way I like it, the extra "keeper" strap I do not like, I may end up cutting it off at some point. Here's a picture, I bought the 18mm so I could get that unstrapped look, I kinda like it....Enjoy!

Old 19 September 2010, 11:45 PM   #63
Macro80
"TRF" Member

I bought a Corvus too, its a great looking strap but within a week it was fraying badly, i was very disspointed with this. They are the most expensive Nato out there but the quality is no where near the top. Those TSS ones are much more resilient.
Macro80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2010, 05:45 AM   #64
Nicko
Banned

Junk

OK, here's my quick and dirty review of this watch band. In a nutshell, it's a 40 dollar piece of rubbish, plain and simple. I wore it for an afternoon, worked with the horses wearing it and then came home a took a shower with it on and didn't abuse the band in any way. It a piece of crap. It has already started to fray around the hole that I had it in, this is from ONE AFTERNOON ONLY..... I thought Corvus has changed these straps. I feel I have just thrown 40 bucks down the drain. How can they sell these cheap things with a clear conciseness? I should have listened to the reviews.

Sorry for the crappy pics, night time here and I have to use flash....

Old 20 September 2010, 08:15 AM   #65
jake
"TRF" Member

Hi Nicko,

Ironically, I haven't worn the Corvus Real Bond NATO for more than looking at it since I wear an LV Submariner and the green bezel seriously clashes with the olive green. I think it looks great, I just don't have a Sub with a black bezel insert to wear it with.

That being said, when people mentioned the fraying of the holes, I brought it up with Robert Cameron, the owner of Corvus. I mentioned to him that I had seen nylon NATO straps that had the holes cauterized either ultrasonically or with some kind of heat process. Robert said he would look into it. I was pretty insistent, and strongly emphasized he do more than look into it, and that he should figure out what the process was and incorporate it into his product.

I argued that it was unacceptable if even several out of 100 straps suffered from this challenge, and even if it was less than several in 100, it would ensure the longevity of the rather expensive nylon strap.

If I paid $40 for a nylon strap, and the holes unraveled, I would be really disappointed and send it back. I strongly believe Robert is undermining his credibility by not addressing this serious design issue.

All this being said, I am going to send Robert Cameron a link to this thread and insist he take action. He either needs to refund everybody's money or replace the straps with a new version that no longer has the fraying whole issue.

As soon as I hear back from Robert, I will follow-up in this thread.

I am sorry to learn that your great looking Real Bond NATO strap is junk.

Warmest regards,

Jake

Quote:
OK, here's my quick and dirty review of this watch band. In a nutshell, it's a 40 dollar piece of rubbish, plain and simple. I wore it for an afternoon, worked with the horses wearing it and then came home a took a shower with it on and didn't abuse the band in any way. It a piece of crap. It has already started to fray around the hole that I had it in, this is from ONE AFTERNOON ONLY..... I thought Corvus has changed these straps. I feel I have just thrown 40 bucks down the drain. How can they sell these cheap things with a clear conciseness? I should have listened to the reviews.

Old 20 September 2010, 08:39 AM   #66
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Excellent Post!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 20 September 2010, 08:40 AM   #67
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Any idea why this is happening on some but not all Corvus straps of same model?
Old 20 September 2010, 09:23 AM   #68
camfam

From the Corvus Watch Team - Cam, Tom and Mike

We just want to thank everyone who has bought our products and are pleased with our quality. We remain committed to the Corvus brand and we have many exciting plans for its future.

For those of you who have not been satisfied with the quality of our straps, we encourage you to return them to us for a refund or replacement. On our website you will find the details of our guarantee.

As many of you know, when we originally began working with Phoenix Straps in the UK, our straps were being made of a much softer (somewhat more fragile) nylon. After this first run we worked with Phoenix to make a beefier, more rugged strap. We have received virtually no complaints about this new version!

We can't help you receive a superior product if you don't contact us!
camfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2010, 10:10 AM   #69
jake
"TRF" Member

Hi Everybody,

As you can see I took immediate action and contacted Robert Cameron and brought this issue to his attention. I think his response is semi-satisfactory. The bottom-line is customers should not be responsible for testing products. That is the job of the designer, manufacturer, producer and seller.

In my opinion there are two issues that need to be resolved:

Issue 1: Nicko, we need to figure out if your strap is from the first production run of straps. I would say it would make little sense that Robert Cameron would send out a strap from the first production run, being aware of the design defect, and assuming I understand it correctly you just received it. Please send it back to Corvus immediately for a refund, and Robert will be able to examine it and figure out what the deal is.

Issue 2. I am going to frame this issue as simply as possible. The NATO straps from Phoenix in the U.K. appear to easily come unwoven in the holes when simply worn. This is clearly unacceptable!!!

The solution is simple as pie. In the first to photos below, which I will refer to as exhibit 1, and exhibit 2, you clearly see the unraveled holes.

In the third photo, which I will refer to as exhibit 3, we see Subking's NATO from TSS which is from:

http://www.thestrapshop.co.uk/pages/lwb/NatoG10.htm

In exhibit 3, we see the photo Subking took and it is crystal clear that the holes have been cauterized. Robert, you need to investigate the process with Mike Steward from The Phoenix Strap Company Ltd., in the U.K., and figure out how to incorporate this feature into the nylon strap.

For the record, I am sending Mike Steward at Phoenix straps in the U.K., a copy of the link to this discussion, so if he does not address this issue, he will have no excuse.

I will admit I am frustrated because I should not have to be doing other peoples homework for them.

Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by camfam View Post

We just want to thank everyone who has bought our products and are pleased with our quality. We remain committed to the Corvus brand and we have many exciting plans for its future.

For those of you who have not been satisfied with the quality of our straps, we encourage you to return them to us for a refund or replacement. On our website you will find the details of our guarantee.

As many of you know, when we originally began working with Phoenix Straps in the UK, our straps were being made of a much softer (somewhat more fragile) nylon. After this first run we worked with Phoenix to make a beefier, more rugged strap. We have received virtually no complaints about this new version!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (76.5 KB, 329 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (33.3 KB, 326 views)
File Type: jpg Xnatos.jpg (92.0 KB, 330 views)
File Type: jpg nato.jpg (53.0 KB, 325 views)
File Type: jpg nato2.jpg (41.6 KB, 325 views)
Old 20 September 2010, 10:32 AM   #70
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
Quote:

I've got to say, I'm not surprised. Did you read any of the reviews? It's well documented that the straps are poor quality, here and elsewhere. I highly doubt the "older" one was sent out by "mistake". Maybe intentionally.
If you have a defective product and you source a replacement, you get rid of the defective product. You don't keep them lying around where they can get "accidently" sent out to a customer.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2010, 05:15 PM   #71
Nicko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brian View Post
I've got to say, I'm not surprised. Did you read any of the reviews? It's well documented that the straps are poor quality, here and elsewhere. I highly doubt the "older" one was sent out by "mistake". Maybe intentionally.
If you have a defective product and you source a replacement, you get rid of the defective product. You don't keep them lying around where they can get "accidently" sent out to a customer.
Yes Brian, I read the reviews, I also read that the straps were of improved quality and no longer were susceptible to fraying.
Old 20 September 2010, 05:28 PM   #72
Nicko
Banned

Jake, I appreciate your help in this issue, but to me this response by Corvus is unacceptable to say the least.

Corvus Team.....

If I wanted to a refund, I wouldn't have bought this strap in the first place, it's not a question of the 40 dollars, it's a question of why was I sent an inferior product to begin with. I was told this issue was fixed and the straps no longer frayed. This was not the case. Now, do you think I want a replacement? Are you kidding? You are going to send me the same inferior strap that I already have only to have it fray again when I wear it. Come on Corvus, get your act together.

Quote:
After this first run we worked with Phoenix to make a beefier, more rugged strap. We have received virtually no complaints about this new version!
Really? I find the second part of this statement hard to believe, and if the first part is true then I would have hated to see the straps before the improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camfam View Post

Quote:
What does this supposed to mean? Are you going to send me a strap manufactured differently than the one you already sent me? This strap is flimsy and cheap, I don't know if it's the first run or the last, but I can tell you I will never purchase another product from you as long as I live.

As far as I'm concerned, your acknowledgment of this post should be contact enough, you should have offered up a replacement or a refund on the spot via PM or email, both of which are available here. I am not going to contact you or bother to send a 50 cent strap back to you from overseas, simply not worth my hassle. It's obvious that you do not care enough about your customers evident in you lack of concern in my post and your "canned" open response which was only sent as a matter of damage control and not of concern for my issue.

Upset? Yes, I'm upset but more ashamed at myself for not heeding the reviews posted here. Good luck in your future endeavors...
Old 20 September 2010, 07:21 PM   #73
slevin kelevra
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060m
I think this whole thing has made a very well respected person (Jake) look really bad! I understand why he is trying to do a lot to rectify the issue.

I find it strange that he raved about Corvus straps then later admits he has only worn the strap for a very limited period of time.

Im not attacking Jake at all, he seems like a great guy and his blog is totally awesome but I reckon he needs to think twice before recomending a product in the future.

If a guy like me sees a guy like Jake endorsing a product then I automatically think the product is really really good.

Corvus seem like complete rip off merchants that prey on people with lots of disposable income. Someone had commented that $40 wasnt much for a strap to put on a watch worth thousands of dollars but I think thats what Corvus rely on. $40 is such a small ammount that customers wont complain when the strap falls apart after one day of use!!
slevin kelevra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2010, 07:34 PM   #74
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
Wow what a response from team Corvus - no wonder Steve is pissed off.
IMO that is not a good customer service/after sale service at all. Im too surprised to see that a "second grade" strap were sent out to a customer and then requesting customer to watse time and money to return the item when a new/first grade strap shouldve sent out before making that reply.....
My 2pence
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2010, 08:22 PM   #75
Macro80
"TRF" Member

Here is mine after less than a weeks wear. That white stuff around the hole is where i tried to add superglue to halt the fraying. It didnt work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0165.jpg (43.3 KB, 308 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0166.jpg (74.0 KB, 304 views)
Macro80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2010, 10:03 PM   #76
Nicko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by esm View Post
Wow what a response from team Corvus - no wonder Steve is pissed off.
IMO that is not a good customer service/after sale service at all. Im too surprised to see that a "second grade" strap were sent out to a customer and then requesting customer to watse time and money to return the item when a new/first grade strap shouldve sent out before making that reply.....
My 2pence
Your absolutely right Eric, that would be good customer service in my opinion. Making it "my fault" by not telling them it was bad it totally unacceptable and as for the canned response, they can keep it because the only thing that would make me happy would be to get a strap that was what was described to me on their site. This is not only a waste of money but a waste of time as well. I put that strap on and was so pleased becuase it really is a beautiful strap, simply stunning. But, all the beauty in the world is totally useless if you can't use it as it was intended to be used. Sorry Corvus, you guys blew it with this product, I'm just glad I found out how you operate with only a 40 buck purchase, had it been one of your watches I purchased then I would have really been out of luck. Anyway, you live and learn. I intend to let everyone I come in contact know just how your product is as well as your customer service.
Old 20 September 2010, 10:08 PM   #77
Nicko
Banned

Quote:
Nicko, we need to figure out if your strap is from the first production run of straps. I would say it would make little sense that Robert Cameron would send out a strap from the first production run, being aware of the design defect, and assuming I understand it correctly you just received it. Please send it back to Corvus immediately for a refund, and Robert will be able to examine it and figure out what the deal is.
Sorry Jake, I'm not part of their R&D team, and I don't believe not be used to beta test their products. I expected a better response on behalf of Corvus, not this. I can't believe they risk their reputation on a 40 dollar strap, I really don't. If I'm sent an inferior product, why should I care why it's inferior, all I care about is getting what I paid for, sorry but that's how I feel. Tisk, tisk, Corvus, really bad business.
Old 20 September 2010, 11:10 PM   #78
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
Very nice watch!
ParisDakarBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2010, 11:17 PM   #79
Nicko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDakarBmw View Post
Very nice watch!

Thank you Paul...Leave it to you to find the positive in a negative situation...
Old 21 September 2010, 12:35 AM   #80
tr4driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675
I've had a very different experience with my Corvus straps (one bought over a year ago and another one bought recently). The only issue I've had with mine is fraying of the edges where I pulled it through the watch lugs without removing the spring bars. It seems the 20 mm wide strap is just a hair too wide for 20 mm lugs.

With the new strap, I have been positioning the watch on the strap, then inserting the spring bars, and the strap has suffered no damage. I have not noticed excessive wear on the sizing holes.

I also find their warranty/replacement policy typical and fair. Send the defective strap back for a refund or replacement. I don't really think it's reasonable to expect Corvus to monitor every watch forum and contact disgruntled customers individually to offer them refunds. It's typically the customer's responsibility to contact the supplier when they receive a defective product, or am I missing something?

Anyway... my 2 cents.

Kurt
tr4driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2010, 12:50 AM   #81
Nicko
Banned

Quote:
I don't really think it's reasonable to expect Corvus to monitor every watch forum and contact disgruntled customers individually to offer them refunds.
They did in this case Kurt...The monitor part.
Old 21 September 2010, 01:42 AM   #82
Clogger

Watch: SS Sub Date
Nicko,

Just send the strap back and ask for a refund. Yes you will probably end up
out of pocket by a couple of $ with the postage but it's better than being $40 out of pocket.
Clogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2010, 05:32 AM   #83
SSD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Stainless Sub Date
I feel that they should, if you sent it back, supply a new one and refund your postage. Making disgruntled customers jump through hoops is poor business in any field, not merely here. You said if it was a bad strap $40.00 was OK to loose (a paraphrase), but this is ridiculous.

I was starting to consider one until I read about this disgrace... I appreciate your warnings, all of you. Thanks!

But your watch is extremely nice!

SUBMARINER OWNERS' CLUB
ESTABLISHED 1953
TRF Member # 5464

SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2010, 06:11 AM   #84
jake
"TRF" Member

Hi Slevin,

You are absolutely right and I agree with everything you said.

Unfortunately I am in an indefensible position and I am not happy about this.

As Nicko said, the strap is a really beautiful design and it looks great.

The Achilles heel of the strap is the holes. I originally brought this to Robert Camron's attention, and when it was brought up in the forum, I sent Robert a link and followed up with a phone call where I emphasized the importance of figuring out how to cauterize the holes. Robert agreed with me and said he would take action on it.

I have seen zero to suggest he took any real or meaningful action.

I also wrote to Mike Steward of Phoenix and sent him a link to this thread.

The bottom line is that this is in their court now. I told Robert that if he does not take real action, and stand behind his product, I will be forced to take down his review, which would be a shame.

On a more upbeat, optimistic note, let's hope that Robert and Mike take real action and overcome this challenge which is in their best interest.

Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by slevin kelevra View Post
I think this whole thing has made a very well respected person (Jake) look really bad! I understand why he is trying to do a lot to rectify the issue.

I find it strange that he raved about Corvus straps then later admits he has only worn the strap for a very limited period of time.

Im not attacking Jake at all, he seems like a great guy and his blog is totally awesome but I reckon he needs to think twice before recomending a product in the future.

If a guy like me sees a guy like Jake endorsing a product then I automatically think the product is really really good.

Corvus seem like complete rip off merchants that prey on people with lots of disposable income. Someone had commented that $40 wasnt much for a strap to put on a watch worth thousands of dollars but I think thats what Corvus rely on. $40 is such a small ammount that customers wont complain when the strap falls apart after one day of use!!
Old 21 September 2010, 06:15 AM   #85
jake
"TRF" Member

Nicko,

You are preaching to the choir. I agree 100%.

Jake

Quote:
Sorry Jake, I'm not part of their R&D team, and I don't believe not be used to beta test their products. I expected a better response on behalf of Corvus, not this. I can't believe they risk their reputation on a 40 dollar strap, I really don't. If I'm sent an inferior product, why should I care why it's inferior, all I care about is getting what I paid for, sorry but that's how I feel. Tisk, tisk, Corvus, really bad business.
Old 21 September 2010, 06:30 AM   #86
dieseldragon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ω & ♛
Not wanting to sound out of place here, I like Nato straps and swap one between my watches.

What the hell is rocket science about a strip of nylon with some buckles? There is simply no excuse for them falling apart. How can there be huge expenses involved to warrant 40$??

The point of a nato style strap is that its cheap and durable - maybe thats why they are specified by the military? If a company can't get making a strap right out of a piece of nylon webbing, they may as well pack up and go home.

I last bought 2 Maratacs for 30$ inc shipping from USA - so 40$ for one plus ship is a bit steep. No, correction, its not steep, its vertical.
Old 21 September 2010, 06:41 AM   #87
RobY330i
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS GMT IIc "V"
I purchased the strap last November.
It had arrived promptly. I was eager as this was my first experience with nylon straps.
Needless to say, I was disappointed. All the problems mentioned are there!

Now the strap sits in my drawer. A waste of $$$ and a bad taste in my mouth.

<<<< That's the strap in question before I removed it.

Last edited by RobY330i; 21 September 2010 at 06:42 AM.. Reason: added comment
RobY330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2010, 07:30 AM   #88
tr4driver
"TRF" Member

Guys, I am in no way trying to defend the manufacture and selling of defective straps. However, complaining directly to Corvus and/or returning the defective strap for a refund would (IMHO) be much more effective in getting Corvus to rectify the situation than deciding to keep the strap and complain about it here.

Again, that's just my opinion.

Kurt
Old 21 September 2010, 07:59 AM   #89
Nicko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr4driver View Post
Guys, I am in no way trying to defend the manufacture and selling of defective straps. However, complaining directly to Corvus and/or returning the defective strap for a refund would (IMHO) be much more effective in getting Corvus to rectify the situation than deciding to keep the strap and complain about it here.

Again, that's just my opinion.

Kurt
I disagree, here is the best place to complain, this way others do not get taken for a ride as I and many have. BTW, I did complain to them both here and via email sans reply. Oh, yes, I did get a reply here, it was canned and they want me to send the watch back so they can "evaluate" it..... I said it before and I'll say it again, I don't give a hoot about their research and development, I want what I ordered. If they want someone to beta test their products, then they should find a venue for that sort of thing which doesn't include selling me an inferior product and telling me to send it back if I'm not satisfied.....
Old 21 September 2010, 08:12 AM   #90
tr4driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I disagree, here is the best place to complain, this way others do not get taken for a ride as I and many have. BTW, I did complain to them both here and via email sans reply. Oh, yes, I did get a reply here, it was canned and they want me to send the watch back so they can "evaluate" it..... I said it before and I'll say it again, I don't give a hoot about their research and development, I want what I ordered. If they want someone to beta test their products, then they should find a venue for that sort of thing which doesn't include selling me an inferior product and telling me to send it back if I'm not satisfied.....
Steve,

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but wasn't this in their response to you (and everyone interested) regarding the issue?...

"For those of you who have not been satisfied with the quality of our straps, we encourage you to return them to us for a refund or replacement. On our website you will find the details of our guarantee."

Why not just send the strap back and get a refund? I'm not sure at this point what else you expect them to do to make it right with you. Are you wanting them to just send you a refund without having to send the strap back? That's not how refunds typically work.

I agree 100% that they should make it right, but I really don't know how anyone can expect a refund if they don't want to return the product.

Kurt

Tags
5513 , bond , nato , strap , submariner