The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 July 2011, 12:25 AM   #61
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor BB36
If you want to talk about no love, consider the Cellini line.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2011, 01:56 AM   #62
Watchdog
"TRF" Member

Watch: I can't tell time
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
If you want to talk about no love, consider the Cellini line.
Ain't that the truth.
Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2011, 02:39 AM   #63
vigna

Watch: YG yachtmaster ll
England football player who played for manchester united, Real Madrid and also for LA galaxy team!
vigna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2011, 03:55 AM   #64
ElPrimero
Banned

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Who is David Beckham.?
Yes, bad example!

The famous Bharathi Devulapalli Prasad wears one though!
ElPrimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2011, 04:10 AM   #65
T-Rip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DSSD 116660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutlu View Post
If it wasn't for the DSSD, I would not have bought a Rolex. I believe all their other style are just too stale and "tired" looking. Every other watch manufacturer releases new models on a regular basis. Now the argument about it looking too big and hoping that this "fad" will die is really funny, since Rolex is finally updating other models by increasing their size.
Even though my DSSD was a gift I wouldn't want any other model. Except the large Pl Ym... (RIP JJ).. I agree with you 100%. Well said

Rolex: DSSD 116660, 16622 PLATTY
T-Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2011, 04:12 AM   #66
T-Rip
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dob View Post
I think one of the things that happens upon occasion is that folks unintentionally express their opinions as if they are incontrovertible facts and thus they are "right" and anyone who holds a different viewpoint is directly or by implication, "wrong." I think the DSSD is a great example of that.

I tried one - for me personally, it was too thick and heavy for an everyday utility watch. That is my opinion and it is personal to my own experience and judgement. That does not mean that for someone else, it might not be perfect and comfortable. Too often folks will state these things as if they are proven facts and they are the authority on the subject. Then others who share a different viewpoint feel inclined to argue / defend, etc. Silliness if you ask me.

x100!!!

Old 4 July 2011, 04:16 AM   #67
T-Rip
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
I believe you sir live a charmed but sheltered life.

Not to gang up but I agree 100%.."to just have the money " is kind of an ignorant statement. IMO

Old 4 July 2011, 04:22 AM   #68
T-Rip
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barstoolman View Post
You're skin needs to get a bit tougher........why do you care what others think of a watch you love wearing and enjoy owning????
My point is that people state their opinion as if it's "FACT".. that's what I dont like. I agree I should just irritates me I guess.

Old 4 July 2011, 04:45 AM   #69
TurboWatch
"TRF" Member

your love for it isn't enough?

Quote:
If it wasn't for the DSSD, I would not have bought a Rolex. I believe all their other style are just too stale and "tired" looking. Every other watch manufacturer releases new models on a regular basis. Now the argument about it looking too big and hoping that this "fad" will die is really funny, since Rolex is finally updating other models by increasing their size.

This reminds me of a real skinny bud of mine while I was at Cal. He was dating a much bigger ( both in term of weight and height ) gal. Likes the deep sea, most everyone he knew disapproved of her, including his beloved parents. He didn't care .... all through undergrad, then grad school ... Last We talked, they're still together, growing old together.

The moral of the story is: if you own a DS, wear it with pride mate.
TurboWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2011, 08:28 AM   #70
CPD
Banned

Watch: DSSD & PANERAI 312
Quote:
You couldn't have said it any better!
CPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2011, 01:19 PM   #71
guyrolex

Watch: DSSD, SubC LV
I heard all the negatives on the Deepsea before I bought mine. And I can tell you that the single biggest misconception that people have is that the "Original Gas Escape Valve" and "Ring Lock" rehaut wording on the dial is too noticeable or too much. Let me tell you that no one who sits next to me can see it, even if I ask them to look carefully. I dont even see it unless I really look for it. Sure, in close up pictures, it looks overwhelming, but in real life it is not at all noticeable. Another big misconception is the size- it is definitely not that big, in fact it is smaller than the Omega PO, the IWC Big Pilot, and most Breitlings and Hublots and all Panerais! In terms of the weight, yes it is a bit heavier than say the Sub C, but it is a very wearable and comfortable watch and is probably one of two of my 7 Rolex collection that I could never see trading
guyrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2011, 03:03 PM   #72
aboen
"TRF" Member

I think most Rolexes are too small but thats just me..

DSSD is a cool watch that fits for me even thought I sold mine to chase another piece.
aboen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2011, 10:36 PM   #73
buke45
Banned

Watch: Your Butt
If you get offended because someone says that they think the DSSD is too heavy or too big you have the problem.
buke45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2011, 07:24 AM   #74
CJW-SD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydendillon View Post
I have had my DSSD for a couple of months now and a member of TRF for just as long. Time after time I read posts about "how big the DSSD is" and that "its WAY to big for a daily wearing" or that Rolex "screwed up on this one" HOW Also the other argument that I hear is "that its too heavy" For who???

I dont get it. We are all entitled to his/her own opinion but sometimes it gets a bit rude what people say..

That being said, is a Rolex supposed to be inconspicuous? Why not show it off?? I dont mean bragging about it and being a jerk but purchasing any Rolex is a big accomplishment.. Be proud...

I know Im ranting here a bit and I probably take things a bit to personal but It just doesnt make sense to me....IMO
I'm with you "hay"...I've been looking for my "grail" for a little ove a month now, trying to find the right balance between price and shape. When it connects, I will wear it as (quoting you) an accomplishment. I love the 44mm dia. case. Well said...
CJW-SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2011, 07:35 AM   #75
STEELINOX

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydendillon View Post
I have had my DSSD for a couple of months now and a member of TRF for just as long. Time after time I read posts about "how big the DSSD is" and that "its WAY to big for a daily wearing" or that Rolex "screwed up on this one" HOW Also the other argument that I hear is "that its too heavy" For who???

I dont get it. We are all entitled to his/her own opinion but sometimes it gets a bit rude what people say..

That being said, is a Rolex supposed to be inconspicuous? Why not show it off?? I dont mean bragging about it and being a jerk but purchasing any Rolex is a big accomplishment.. Be proud...

I know Im ranting here a bit and I probably take things a bit to personal but It just doesnt make sense to me....IMO

I was at a function yesterday and this thrity something had one on and it looked pretty nice; he prolly had a 7.5 wrist like me, so now I kinda want one, not really, okay, yeah, I would like one...

*Positive Waves Baby*
Lug Hole Loyalist / Chamfer Line Inspector
INFORTHE WIN
SUB-MAH-REEEN-ER ~ !
STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2011, 09:09 AM   #76
Gagebuilder
"TRF" Member

Watch: out for yelow snow
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELINOX View Post
I was at a function yesterday and this thrity something had one on and it looked pretty nice; he prolly had a 7.5 wrist like me, so now I kinda want one, not really, okay, yeah, I would like one...

Sink, I'd love to meet up with you sometime.

I enjoy watching people check out my DSSD in a comfortable, casual place like a bar or liesure dinner. I've seen more than one person's opinion change about it, especially when they ask to see it a second time.

I've said it before, it's my favorite, but my wrist is also 8.25 inches, it fits fine and I can swap between the DSSD and my other 40mm sport watches with no acclimation to the size change. I have learned though that I do wear it slightly tighter than the 40mm watches.
Gagebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2011, 12:22 PM   #77
GradyPhilpott

Watch: Tudor BB36
I tried on a DSSD yesterday for the first time. I was quite surprised at how comfortable it was on my wrist, although I had it on for only a minute or so.

It looked pretty good, too, but honestly, the watch is the quintessence of wretched excess, if you don't happen to belong to the very exclusive community of saturation divers and even then, I'm not sure that many saturation divers need one.

I'm not knocking the watch, because it is an engineering feat in its own right and therefore deserves respect, just as the Yachtmaster II deserves respect for its unique movement.

The truth is that even though I love the Rolex watches, I'm not going to pay that kind of money for what for me would be a very expensive novelty.

The 14060M is more than enough for me and I do believe that if I can come up with the money before the next price increase that will be my next and probably last watch.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2011, 02:15 PM   #78
RJK
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out for that tree!
Luxury watches are pretty much all "...wretched excess...." & expensive novelties, each in their own way...the DSSD is just a different style of excess & novelty that happens to be a divers model and not to everyone's liking.

Wait until they put a diamond encrusted bezel on it next

Thank gawd Rolex has so many choices to choose from, most of which I would never wear let alone buy...ever, but it'll be someone else's grail.

It's all good...

Rolex SD 126600, Seiko Golden Tuna SBBN 040, PAM 579, JLC Master Compressor Diving Chrono GMT NS in Yellow, DSSD, Sinn U1000S, Doxa T-Graph, Doxa 750 Caribbean, PAM 190 "8-Days", PAM 162,TT DJ (Left to me by Dad)
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2011, 03:11 PM   #79
SWIMPRUF
"TRF" Member

This is a watch forum, All opinions are opinionated and to each and everyone's perception. I myself would not take any complements here seriously but just a bit of advice.

If you love it, wear it. Why care what others say?

My 2 cents btw.
Old 17 July 2011, 07:18 PM   #80
jtrader
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT BLNR
I think the DSSD is an amazing looking watch. Pictures of them always look great. However I did try one on for the first time at my AD, And to be honest I was a little turned off on the size. It felt way to big for me. And I have a rather large wrist. But I tend to go for the look of the 40 to 42 MM sized watches. To me that's the classic look. But I also believe that 20 to 30 years from now the DSSD size will be the common look for most sport watches.

Also I just bought a new Sub ND today!! Way excited!!

But if u ask me. Wear what u love and don't worry about what others think. In the end its all about what u like.

And I think buying a rolex is a form of an acomplishment. Especially if u took the time to save up for it.
jtrader is offline   Reply With Quote