The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Gallery

Old 20 December 2007, 03:47 PM   #61
Incurable
"TRF" Member

Watch: your P's and Q's
Small technical detail. Carrying a .45 w/an empty chamber and hammer down... the safety is not functional and can not be engaged. Condition One is a legitimate and recognized mode of carry for the 1911 single action variants. This mode of carry doesn't apply to double action weapons such as the Beretta, Sig and others. Striker fire weapons like the Glock are a whole other animal. Each have their own unique states and levels of carry mode. Accidents w/guns are far more likely to be do to operator error than mechanical malfunctions. Example: Recent return from Iraq military man shoots and kills beautiful wife while practicing "quick draws" in preparation to join LE agency here in the states. Horrible and absolutely inexcusable operator error. Oops, sorry... didn't see all the pg2 posts. Back on topic...

Merry Christmas and happy holidays everyone...

Rolex GMT Master II 16710 (Blk/Blk)
Rolex Explorer 114270
Sinn 356 Sa Flieger
Limes Endurance 1Tausend
Too many others...

It may seem like I'm doing nothing but, at a cellular level, I'm actually quite busy...
Incurable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2007, 03:06 AM   #62
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by gha View Post
Just wondering, why would it be recommended that you carry it that way? (Hammer back/safety on?)
I admit, I know squat about guns. Just a question...don't shoot....gha
Short answer, because it's not a double action pistol, just like most 1911 style autos. It's single action (the hammer has to be pulled back for the weapon to fire). In a stress situation, the last thing you want to be doing is messing around with cocking the hammer when your life is on the line. Cocked, it's just release the safety and fire away. Condition one like a previous poster said, and really the only way you want to carry a pistol used for self defense.

Otherwise, what's the point?
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2007, 03:18 AM   #63
JBat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike734 View Post
Seattle PD do not walk around with the hammer back. Seattle PD weapons do not have external safety's. That's all I'm saying. But, I am not a local PD, so I'm not an expert.

My only point was that if I was going to take a photo of my weapon it would not be loaded with the hammer back. The 1911 can be made safer if you lower the hammer.

Local SOP's differ. Tacoma may be different.
And slower. In a self defense situation, speed and response time is of the utmost importance. It is completely acceptable to carry a 1911 auto in contdition one (or any pistol), and it has been since, well, 1911.

I'm not sure where you get your info, but accidental discharge in this situation is rare if the safety is on. And when did SPD start using .45 autos? I would've guessed Glock of Beretta.
Old 26 December 2007, 03:58 AM   #64
coz
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex sub
Did someone say toys???

I love my toys!!!!!
coz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2007, 09:24 AM   #65
steveespo

Ed
Love the walnut grips on your P230. I also believe that Series 80 and up 1911s have a firing pin block that prevents the firing pin from striking the chambered round unless the trigger is pulled. That is one reason that Series 70 models were preferred for competition matches until all the specialized 'combat event' guns came out in the 90s. Colt 1911 is still one of the finest service pistol designs ever made.

My toys: Colt Delta Elite 10mm Auto Blued Steel
Sig Sauer P230 9mm Kurz, 1923 Mauser Broomhandle 7.62mm
Springfield Armory M1A 7.62mm NATO, Colt Delta HBAR 5.56mm
I'll try and post some pics as well, I like this thread.
steveespo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2008, 02:05 AM   #66
cbsmohai
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike734 View Post
LEO weapons around here don't have external safety's of that nature. No cop would carry his .45 in that state. The risk of accidental discharge is too great.

I was being a little humble. I know how to use the weapon but have not qualified on it.

He too should not have the hammer cocked nor should he have a round in the chamber unless he is about to shoot or unless his SOP's require it.

Sorry if I started something here that sidetracked the thread. I just get offended by people who LOVE guns a little too much. They are a necessary evil IMHO.
Being an advocate of the 1911, and the way it was designed, I'll have to interject. It was designed to be a combat sidearm. My grandfather carried his trusty Colt cocked and locked for over 50 years. I keep my nearby my bed also "ready to rock"

I can safely say that with a grip safety, a 1911 with a round chambered and the hammer back is as safe as a loaded Glock or revolver.

Now as far as cops and accidental discharge is concerned, I've seen and heard quite a few Glock stories. It's amazing how many will draw their sidearm with their finger already inside the trigger guard.

If you have a gun on you, or nearby you, there is no reason why a bullet shouldn't be in the chamber. No matter WHAT type of pistol/revolver.
cbsmohai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2008, 05:47 AM   #67
joe100
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
I would NEVER, under any circumstances keep a round chambered in a weapon. That is irresponsible bravado if you ask me. My buddy's roommate keeps his gun loaded and he's not allowed in my home or car until I'm quite sure his barrel is clear. I don't allow loaded firearms in either. Since I've had my permit I can count one one hand how many times I've taken my sidearm out of my home. Remember that a safety is mechanical device and it can fail.

I'm quite sure I'd hand over my Rolex before I'd draw on someone. It's easier to explain a lost Rolex than a bullet hole in someone.
joe100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2008, 04:46 PM   #68
cbsmohai
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date 16610
I guess it depends on how you were raised and with what type of weapon. :shrug:
cbsmohai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2008, 12:42 PM   #69
GrandDaddy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe100 View Post
I would NEVER, under any circumstances keep a round chambered in a weapon. That is irresponsible bravado if you ask me. My buddy's roommate keeps his gun loaded and he's not allowed in my home or car until I'm quite sure his barrel is clear. I don't allow loaded firearms in either. Since I've had my permit I can count one one hand how many times I've taken my sidearm out of my home. Remember that a safety is mechanical device and it can fail.
I disagree with you one this one. It's all in your training. Train, train and train more until you develop that muscle memory. If you keep that finger away from the trigger until you actually want/have to shoot.... you know the rest. And I carry a SW 360 revolver in my pants pocket, "there's always a round in the pipe!"

Quote:
I'm quite sure I'd hand over my Rolex before I'd draw on someone. It's easier to explain a lost Rolex than a bullet hole in someone.
I agree with you on this one. Unless the perpetrator is a threat to me or my family's life or well-being, I will just hand him the watch. I will not shoot a person over a watch. Besides, it's cheaper to replace a Rolex than to retain a good lawyer. Oh yeah, you will need a good lawyer if you shoot someone over a watch.
GrandDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2008, 03:02 PM   #70
JBat
"TRF" Member

Quote:

No it's not, it's the only way to carry for self defense. How do you think cops carry their weapons? Are they brash and irresponsible?
Old 12 January 2008, 02:09 AM   #71
joe100
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
Jbat: I'm not going to argue about this. You know I don't think cops are irresponsible so don't put words in my mouth.

J.
joe100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2008, 02:48 AM   #72
mlb

Watch: DJ
1911? Ok!

The hammer is cocked - but no chambered bullet... Don't know why, just the way it happened with the picture.
mlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2008, 07:33 AM   #73
badlarry
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Skydweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmack55 View Post
Are there any other "open carry " states other than here in AZ? I know Texas is not, but was unsure of the rest of the U.S.
Vermont is one, at least it was last year, haven't been up there tis year yet!!
badlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2008, 04:51 AM   #74
newrolexman
"TRF" Member

My favorite Combo

My Rolly and my Walther

Bond would be proud.

newrolexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2008, 11:56 AM   #75
volvo
"TRF" Member

is that a walter P-38?
volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2008, 03:53 AM   #76
newrolexman
"TRF" Member

Its a walther PPK/S stainless steel

shoots 380 or 9mm kurz.

very accurate 7+1

Compact enough to fit in your pocket.

Fun to shoot. Safety and de cocker lever.

Looks great in my opinion.

With hollow points and a good strong load this is a very lethal weapon.

Another shot:

newrolexman is offline   Reply With Quote