The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 9 October 2008, 01:39 AM   #61
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
Wearing a Rolex, driving a Mercedes, wearing an Italian suit, none of that matters. The person does!
Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post
This thread has some usefulness. There are those who feel the watch makes them a big shot. They walk around figuring they deserve better service because they have some bauble of luxury.

When I was 25 years old I had a Rolex, a Leica M6 with 50/1.0, a laptop (this was 1988), and an American Express Platinum card. Know what? I was the same person. I had expected to somehow change inside to a guy who needs to wear a tie and drive a Mercedes. I hate ties.

And I have never tossed around any sort of status I may have for a few reasons. First, the other person may have something better. Second, they may not be impressed by what I think is status. Third, and most important of all, it shows a genuine disregard for the other person's position and demands that you be placed above all else.

Want service? Just say to the waiter "I know you are busy, overworked, and rely on tips to get by. You have a very physically demanding job and it is something that I could never do. Thank you."

Now with that, he hears, "I am a rich guy with a Rolex but you are doing something that I cannot do. You can surpass me if you keep that dedication in working hard."

And what's wrong with that?

Some of the bigshots out there really disparage the Rolex brand through their actions and attitudes.

Could not agree more Robert and Ashley big cars expencive watches dont make anyone a better person,or a big shot .

This thread is getting very close to its sell by date,but will keep it open for the time being.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 9 October 2008, 01:55 AM   #62
Mandrake

Watch: GMT Master Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodybump View Post
This a good topic..Have you ever feel like a big shot in a restaurant wearing your expensive Rolex watch and turns out you tip really bad even though the service is exceptional??? My friend owns a japanese restaurant in Boca and his advice to his waitstaff is to look for expensive stuff like watches,jewelry,handbags,and car keys for potential big spenders..most of their clientel are very rich...but the funny thing is some of this people are really really cheap...The one that tips really bad who wear those expensive Rolex watches are from Europe ( no offense guys) most of them act like big shots but tips really really bad...Next are Canadians,African American,Spanish and Asians... No offense guys but what are your thoughts??
All I can say is that tips are also customary in Spain...and that Spain is actually a part of Europe!

Regards
Carlos
Old 9 October 2008, 01:58 AM   #63
shoppy
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP and daytona
I have to agree with Lisa on this my Trolling sensors go off for this post and some of the others posted by the original poster. Yet like a silly fool, I end up not being strong enough to stand by my initial gut feeling and not post in this. Choosing to believe in the better nature of the OP. Shame on me.
PP, JLC, VC, Swatch ,Casio, Timex.
Old 9 October 2008, 02:00 AM   #64
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5cuX...eature=related
Old 9 October 2008, 02:07 AM   #65
funlab
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLS View Post
No offense, but I feel this is a dumb topic. I'm sorry, but what difference does wearing a Rolex make with how much you tip? I have worked hard for the watches I wear and the cars I drive, just because I have nice things does not make me feel like a "big shot". It's all about the service for me. Why not alienate a few more nationalities why you are at it.
~Scott
i'm with you on this - one of the dumbest, most irrelevant and idiotic topics of all time. also don't like the undertones of racism in the original post. surprised it got this far. even more surprised nobody caught on when i originally asked if he was serious about this topic.
Old 9 October 2008, 02:09 AM   #66
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
Quote:
Originally Posted by funlab View Post
i'm with you on this - one of the dumbest, most irrelevant topics of all time. also don't like the undertones of racism in the original post.
The thread should have been called "What Rolex should I wear when I want to tip badly at nice restaurants?"
Old 9 October 2008, 02:11 AM   #67
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No offense, but I feel this is a dumb topic. I'm sorry, but what difference does wearing a Rolex make with how much you tip? I have worked hard for the watches I wear and the cars I drive, just because I have nice things does not make me feel like a "big shot". It's all about the service for me. Why not alienate a few more nationalities why you are at it.
~Scott
Old 9 October 2008, 02:21 AM   #68
shoppy
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP and daytona
Can we simply not close this thread, Mods.
PP, JLC, VC, Swatch ,Casio, Timex.
Old 9 October 2008, 02:48 AM   #69
ratae1950
"TRF" Member

No.
Old 9 October 2008, 03:14 AM   #70
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Okay, might as well add my 2 cents worth.

Here in NZ, no tipping is done. You could wear a Rolex or a Timex....nobody could give a rat's ass.

You could eat your meal at McDonald's wearing a Rolex or at the Hilton wearing a Timex......nobody could give a rat's ass.

You finish your meal, go to the counter and pay the actual value of the bill, no tip - end of story!!

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 9 October 2008, 04:07 AM   #71
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
Mr. Pink anyone? (Reservoir Dogs/tipping) Great scene on you tube, I would have posted the link but the language is not suitable.
~Scott
Old 9 October 2008, 04:19 AM   #72
DARK_KNIGHT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier
Icon15

Quote:
Originally Posted by funlab View Post
i'm with you on this - one of the dumbest, most irrelevant and idiotic topics of all time. also don't like the undertones of racism in the original post. surprised it got this far. even more surprised nobody caught on when i originally asked if he was serious about this topic.
I actually caught on..........but did not want to rub someone wrong and I also caught the "racism" smell of the post. Next time I'll be a bit more vocal (written) on my observations.

Lisa seems right, this is a cheap thrill thread. Not TRF caliber at all.
Old 9 October 2008, 04:42 AM   #73
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Skipping the part about would be wealth attributes, the system in my country is different. (Dunno about our neighbours). To avoid that personnel in restaurants became too dependent on tips and to clarify the pricing system, over 40 years ago the 'to insure promptness' system was replaced by a common wage system. All prices went up and after that included all taxes and gratuity. The prices on menu cards now are final.

Bearing this in mind, the inexperienced European traveller might think the same applies to other countries. Are we cheapskates? I know I'm not . Now a tip doesn't necessarily have to be 'earned' by overdoing it. Just do your job well and make the guest feel a guest. Don't give the guest the feeling that he had the bloody nerve to come in and disturb the rest of the staff In that case: an about turn or no tip.
Old 9 October 2008, 05:19 AM   #74
al_bongo
"TRF" Member

Another European here - British. Visit the states regularly and tip 15-20% because that is how the system works.
Having said that I kind of resent subsidising low rates of pay in the service sector in the USA. But when in Rome etc.
Although tipping is customary in UK I still think of it as a reward for good service and feel that is how it should be, not an integral part of someone's wage.
If 20% is becoming the standard tip, which seems to be the way it's going, what would you then give for excetional service? 25% 50%? At the risk of being facetious, waiting staff could soon have to pay to work in a restaurant!
Old 9 October 2008, 05:23 AM   #75
chicagowatchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DDMasterp
I always tip at least 20% even if i wearing my toy watch.

Men's SS Cartier Pasha

MEMBER # 5534 USA
CHICAGO IL
Old 9 October 2008, 05:23 AM   #76
eric23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Okay, might as well add my 2 cents worth.

Here in NZ, no tipping is done. You could wear a Rolex or a Timex....nobody could give a rat's ass.

You could eat your meal at McDonald's wearing a Rolex or at the Hilton wearing a Timex......nobody could give a rat's ass.

You finish your meal, go to the counter and pay the actual value of the bill, no tip - end of story!!

JJ
WOW I want to move there. No tipping. Are the pices higher to include the tax?

You guys need any IT staff out there?

I never no how much to tip I tip twice the tax unless the serivce was real good then I might tip a bit more or if the service suck I might tip a bit less.
Old 9 October 2008, 05:26 AM   #77
Bluehinder
"TRF" Member

No, never. I hope no one else does either. Gives the watch a bad name.
Old 9 October 2008, 05:29 AM   #78
rocco1109
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
~Scott
Bravo Scott. I bit my tongue when I saw the original post last night. I wanted to respond about its racist tone. But being new to the forum, I laid back. I am happy to see that someone commented that this post does not meet the standards of the forum. But it's disheartening that hardly any one else chimed in about it's inappropriateness.

This post is in poor taste and should be removed.
Old 9 October 2008, 06:04 AM   #79
DC watchman
Banned

Yawwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnn!!!!!!
Old 9 October 2008, 06:06 AM   #80
Quicksilver
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing watches
I have to agree. Perhaps the original poster was being playful but the thread is totaly inapropriate.

If any casual observer were to visit this site and read this thread he would have his worst fears about Rolex owners confirmed - that we are a bunch of bigoted show offs. And it just is not true.
Old 9 October 2008, 06:10 AM   #81
Timber Loftis
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,DJII,P244,A1-Z
Where tipping is appropriate (ie. in some places you just don't tip) then 15% is the minimum, 20% for good work.

These people don't make minimum wage -- they make 1/2 of minimum wage. The tip is assumed to be part of the cost of dining out, and if you can't afford to tip eat at home.

If you think tipping is "optional" and you expect some waiter to do backflips to get a couple of extra dollars out of your tightwad ass, then you're an embarassment and proof that money doesn't buy class. This isn't an "opinion," this is hard fact and science-based truth.

Having been on the other side of the table before, I can assure you that this topic does contain a pointed and funny truth: the number of people wearing expensive jewelry who tip poorly is pretty high, and it's a sad reflection on them as a group. And then it gets really funny because these people who feel they're entitled to so much are the first ones to gripe about our "entitlement culture." It's funny. And sad. But funny too.

There. That should get the thread closed. :)
Old 9 October 2008, 06:25 AM   #82
DC watchman
Banned

Here in DC Rolex watches are a dime a dozen and so are the people who cop an attitude while wearing them.
Old 9 October 2008, 06:46 AM   #83
folexhater

Thanks for the TIP Oscar! Now the INS knows where to go to get all this Illegal Immigrants out of here! RESTAURANTS that is!
Old 9 October 2008, 06:49 AM   #84
folexhater

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post

x2 on this.. when i 1st came to America, i worked as a part time valet also at a restaurant in beverly hills and those driving ferraris and bentlys usually tips around a dollar or so cheap a$$es!
..and those driving corollas and other japanese cheap cars usually would tip around 10-15dollars!
well maybe because they give you a chance to drive their Ferraris and Bentleys! maybe you should tip them!
Old 9 October 2008, 06:51 AM   #85
Rolexitis
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
depending on where I am (what part of town) I may try to keep my Sub out of sight as much as possible. A watch doesn't make the man
Old 9 October 2008, 07:00 AM   #86
Naked Man

Tipping is SO American

People should not tip at all, If you want more money... go and get a better paid job, don't get a job where you have to beg for money off people who've gone out for a meal.

If you're too stupid, or too lazy, to get a better paid job, that's your lot in life, get used to it.

I go to work for my money, why the hell should I give it away to some waiter for free?
Old 9 October 2008, 07:01 AM   #87
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 SUBMARINER Sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: Me!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by folexhater View Post
Thanks for the TIP Oscar! Now the INS knows where to go to get all this Illegal Immigrants out of here! RESTAURANTS that is!
Hahahaah you dont have to go that far...Go Walmart!!!
Old 9 October 2008, 07:19 AM   #88
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

[SIZE="3"]Hey guys dont get me wrong.. im not a racist and never exist in my country..Im not even american ..here in our country tip is included..im just sharing the thought off people who are in the hospitality business..I dont want to offend anyone.. just some thoughts...Ive seen people with nice watches acting like a big shot...but i see most of the people say they dont feel it and i dont too but thats not what i see and my friends see...i showed this forum to my friend and he told me a story just 2 days ago..Guys comes in Jewelrys and a Rolex President.. wife on a Patek... Ordered a 3 glass of Louis XIII calls his servers by his finger gesture..No please and no thank you in every request..left $50 tip on a $550 check..no need to say where he from but i think SOME people do act like that especially when they think they are so rich...I learn a lot of customary here in the US and i try to follow it even though its not custom in my country..
Old 9 October 2008, 07:21 AM   #89
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked Man View Post
Tipping is SO American

People should not tip at all, If you want more money... go and get a better paid job, don't get a job where you have to beg for money off people who've gone out for a meal.

If you're too stupid, or too lazy, to get a better paid job, that's your lot in life, get used to it.

I go to work for my money, why the hell should I give it away to some waiter for free?
Have you eaten in a fine dinning restaurant before??
Old 9 October 2008, 07:21 AM   #90
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
i love sporting my Rolex at MacDonalds, i get free refills and ketchup

Bwaaaahhhhahahaha! So do I!!!
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Closed Thread