The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 May 2021, 04:14 PM   #61
VacherObsessive
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirOfVold View Post
Mine here in SoCal told me there is no more lists. Only preferred buyers who get access to the stainless models buy buying two tone and PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Buying TT and PM won’t necessarily get you into the good stuff, as those are all allocation pieces in the professional range as well - only buying multiple ‘garbage’ brands and jewellery will get you up the ladder these days in most places.
VacherObsessive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2021, 04:18 PM   #62
shredder
"TRF" Member

My experience aligns with the OP.

The AD told me last fall they did away with lists for the most part and just sell watches at the store. They said they just have the watches at the store and you never know what they have for you.

So i did what they said and I swung in there a couple months after Christmas inquiring about a Pepsi. Well of course they didn't offer me a Pepsi or a batgirl that time, but they did bring out from the back a YM40 and a root beer. Of course i bought the rootbeer. If I had not swung in there , the AD would not have had the opportunity to swing those watches under my nose.

So their marketing strategy definitely worked on me. Im still in the market for a pepsi and batman, and I bought a watch I probably wouldn't have bought had i not stopped in there. Don't get me wrong, I am happy owning the root beer and I'm sure they are happy to be one watch lighter.

I think that if they figure they can get their prospective customer to go in the stores once in a while say 1 in 10 of them buys a watch that is not their grail, they are likely increasing their sales by 50% (just a wild guess, but they are increasing sales)
shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2021, 04:21 PM   #63
shredder
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendota View Post
Grey dealers are price gouging just like the lumber yards are, to take advantage of this supply/demand imbalance as long as they can until either demand subsides or supply increases. JMHO
A friend of mine owns a lumber yard and he pays more for the lumber from his suppliers and it is marked up just the same as it was pre covid, pre fires. There is no such thing as gouging in a free market.
shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2021, 04:29 PM   #64
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Are we going down any specific track on this thread?
I am so confused
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 04:10 PM   #65
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 01:36 AM   #66
jssans
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41
My AD uses the Ferrari dealer business model. You buy the 2 or 3 of the lower models to get the limited model. This includes jewelry. Basically the more you spend the more you get. Pretty simple.
jssans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 02:29 AM   #67
jerryguo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, Lange
guys there is no list, you go in and buy a 200k diamond and manager will pull daytona out of the safe, both black and white

jerryguo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 02:31 AM   #68
Keanuchan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryguo View Post
guys there is no list, you go in and buy a 200k diamond and manager will pull daytona out of the safe, both black and white

So true
Keanuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 03:54 AM   #69
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
ADs operate independently. They do as they wish regarding lists. Lists are open, depending on the AD.
Old 9 May 2021, 04:12 AM   #70
Shadow Play
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendota View Post
Here's an example. Audi is exclusive. It's expensive and has a rich tradition. Can I walk in and buy one? Yes I can. I'm in the process of buying an S5 cabriolet right now. Does the fact that I can actually buy an expensive car make it any less exclusive? No, of course not. That's absurd. What makes it exclusive is the fact that not everyone can afford to buy it. It's irrelevant if there is stock or not.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Not a great example. Most people I know could easily ‘buy’ the car you are referring to because of PCP or similar leasing / financing.

Definitely nothing exclusive about Audi.
Shadow Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 05:06 AM   #71
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Sorry but not gonna happen. Rolex is looking to increase 'exclusivity' not availablity.

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 06:11 AM   #72
Michael T
2024 Pledge Member

I find this very difficult to believe. As a business owner, you always have priority customers, usually in a mix of revenue, profit margin, and then the intangible of relationship. I have a TT Daytona that arrived Friday, for pick up early next week (the manager, my SA, was out Friday). He told me I was second on the list back in January, he had a long-time customer that was ahead of me. I have no trouble with that.

With a scarce product, how else will an AD prioritize deliveries? Do you want the same person coming in every day to ask about the stainless Daytona, on the oft chance one arrived that day?
Michael T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 11:02 PM   #73
bswizzle2552
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 BB58 16203
Awwwww guess no more wearing Yeezys for me when I go to an AD
bswizzle2552 is offline   Reply With Quote