The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 May 2021, 09:46 PM   #61
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
I wonder, would DavidSW come on here and declare where, and how much he pays for his Rolex's.
For example: Who did he buy the 29K BLRO from and, for how much?

No, I thought not.
of course david just come to an AD at the right place and the right time, have a good and sincere conversation with the salesperson and then he come out with the all new oyster pepsi from the back door and hand it to david. its just pure luck!
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 09:56 PM   #62
Goin2drt
Banned

That was kind of my point. If a gray can get one that fast obviously from the back door of an AD, then why even have AD's. I went to an AD this weekend while visiting Louisville for shits and giggles and it was just stupid. They had probably 3 full cases, about 20 feet long with all the Rolex branding etc etc and had no joke 3 watches in the cases. Cases would hold I assume 50 - 75 if full. Why even have the real estate dedicated to sell air. If I was the AD I would cut that space down and use that real estate for something I could sell. To me that is a horrible brand image that Rolex is fine with as that is not a one off example.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 10:02 PM   #63
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeysub93 View Post
The wealthiest folks I know would never pay a cent over MSRP.
I agree. I have never paid over MSRP, bought only from AD. They know that I am not a flipper, and that I simply love these watches. I have no intention of selling any, but if I did, I would trade or sell them back to the AD. They were fair with me and got me the watches I wanted, so they should be able to share in the profit if the watch can be resold for more. Better that they benefit than a gray market dealer. Just the way I feel.
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 10:16 PM   #64
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
That was kind of my point. If a gray can get one that fast obviously from the back door of an AD, then why even have AD's. I went to an AD this weekend while visiting Louisville for shits and giggles and it was just stupid. They had probably 3 full cases, about 20 feet long with all the Rolex branding etc etc and had no joke 3 watches in the cases. Cases would hold I assume 50 - 75 if full. Why even have the real estate dedicated to sell air. If I was the AD I would cut that space down and use that real estate for something I could sell. To me that is a horrible brand image that Rolex is fine with as that is not a one off example.

Problem is, perception or not, I think the ADs are making money hand over fist. I know my AD is. They have a relationship with local grey dealers so no doubt they sell out the back door. Heck, when I was in there purchasing something I was there for maybe 2hrs. My local grey who I know walks in and we joke about it. I hate what the greys stand for but ADs play the game too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 10:26 PM   #65
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
can they just got an oyster bracelet and put it on a jubilee pepsi, and sell it as a 2021 new oyster pepsi? anything on the warranty card which can distinguish it?
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 10:40 PM   #66
1665fan
"TRF" Member

David should teach us all how to build these bullshitt flipper relationships..... he’s the best at it........why doesn’t someone buy it for 29k and then ask Rolex where the watch came from????
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 10:41 PM   #67
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
Problem is, perception or not, I think the ADs are making money hand over fist. I know my AD is. They have a relationship with local grey dealers so no doubt they sell out the back door. Heck, when I was in there purchasing something I was there for maybe 2hrs. My local grey who I know walks in and we joke about it. I hate what the greys stand for but ADs play the game too

It obvious but, Rolex, by not controlling this, are openly condoning and approving the grey market.
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 10:41 PM   #68
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Inform Rolex... this is the BS they don’t want
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 10:53 PM   #69
ninjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: give me time...
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinleems View Post
I was able to pick up the 78200 bracelet from AD last week, just haven't gotten around to placing it on the BLRO. Looks exactly the same.

A lot of people have a lot of disposable income so to them, $28k is peanuts.
The 2021 GMT Oyster bracelet I think has a different model reference. However, I'm intrigued to see what the difference is between it and your 78200.
Old 12 May 2021, 10:53 PM   #70
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
I read an article last year from a really respected watch journalist who covered that exact topic. He interviewed over 60 of the largest ADs from around the world and they have all been complaining to Rolex about this very subject. He said he also spoke with Rolex representatives and between what they said and what the ADs reported, Rolex is actually listening and planning to do something about it.

I posted it last year and immediately got flamed. Most didn't even read it and just assumed it was my own opinion so I must be wrong, while others were afraid that somehow the value of their own watches would be at risk if the insanity were to end. I'll see if I can find it again and PM it to you if interested. It was a really interesting read.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 10:57 PM   #71
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
Inform Rolex... this is the BS they don’t want

Nooooooooooo. I was picking up my BLRO lmao! I have no metrics on this but I wouldn’t be surprised for every 1 hot watch that goes to the end user 2 go out the back door. And then there’s the end user who can’t pass up and easy 20k that sell it to the greys (and I don’t blame em for that).
Old 12 May 2021, 11:04 PM   #72
stylinleems
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjin View Post
The 2021 GMT Oyster bracelet I think has a different model reference. However, I'm intrigued to see what the difference is between it and your 78200.
Yes, the newer reference is 79200. It most likely has slight changes, I'm guessing the spring bar shaft width within the endlink, the 116710 reference uses thicker spring bars but placing the 126710 spring bars through the 78200 there was no give/wobble or extra room. So really not sure what the other differences might be.
Old 12 May 2021, 11:12 PM   #73
BloodyElbow
"TRF" Member

Its seems like It’s not only Rolex prices defying logic these days looks at the PP and AP prices compared to retail. Strange times.
BloodyElbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 11:13 PM   #74
charlesheung
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinleems View Post
I just quickly put in one side of the 78200 bracelet and volia... 126710BLRO on Oyster

No offence, but I think the cyclops is mis-aligned (count clockwise).
charlesheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 11:18 PM   #75
stylinleems
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesheung View Post
No offence, but I think the cyclops is mis-aligned (count clockwise).
Never even noticed this but I'm guessing it's how I took the picture but I'll have it looked at.
Old 12 May 2021, 11:23 PM   #76
peterpl
Banned

It would be financially cheaper to buy one on Jubillee and then get another Oyster bracelet brand new for $2000.

Still come out several thousand cheaper and you'll have the exact same thing with BOTH bracelets and the choice to swap them out whenever you wish.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 11:43 PM   #77
1995akcoop
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
Some people pay extra to board a plane first.

Some people pay extra to go to the front of the line at the amusement park.

Some people pay thousands extra to be the first in their neighborhood with a new car model.

And some people want to be the first with a new hot watch.

Products and services in the free market economy. You don't like it... you don't have to buy it. Absolutely nothing crazy or stupid about it.

Love this

1995akcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 03:02 AM   #78
Deepseadoug
Banned

Disposable income, always going to be somebody with a bigger bankroll. Elon might smoke a little to much and drink a lil to much and get on David’s site at 4 am n start firing off dogecoins for anything he wants, you think somebody like that cares about 8k-18k-28k means nothing he’s hitting buy it now and upgrading the already baller shipping as well. Not a flinch.
Deepseadoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 03:03 AM   #79
Deepseadoug
Banned

#Double post
Old 13 May 2021, 03:36 AM   #80
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepseadoug View Post
Disposable income, always going to be somebody with a bigger bankroll. Elon might smoke a little to much and drink a lil to much and get on David’s site at 4 am n start firing off dogecoins for anything he wants, you think somebody like that cares about 8k-18k-28k means nothing he’s hitting buy it now and upgrading the already baller shipping as well. Not a flinch.

I could be wrong, but I don’t think billionaires are buying over hyped Rolexes ...I could be wrong... and even if they did want one, they are the what we call around here the “vip” at the ADs. Elon Musk isn’t googling ‘DavidSW’ lmao

Old 13 May 2021, 04:06 AM   #81
Deepseadoug
Banned

Quote:
I could be wrong, but I don’t think billionaires are buying over hyped Rolexes ...I could be wrong... and even if they did want one, they are the what we call around here the “vip” at the ADs. Elon Musk isn’t googling ‘DavidSW’ lmao

My guy, I seen a 50 year old fat guy that does watch reviews in his moms basement in the uk with Cheeto dust still on his fingers charging advertising space on his mini fridge. Who you think owns half that moms basement fridge advertising space? Yes sir David sw. Anything’s possible.
Old 13 May 2021, 04:13 AM   #82
novae500
"TRF" Member

If SAs are getting some kickbacks for each hot watch, what would prevent them from not doing that? Integrity/conscience or $500,$1,000,$1500 per hot watch they sell backdoor to gray dealer?

its obvious ADs in Orlando/Houston is helping out for sure to get all these out on the gray market.

Is it time for us non flippers to offer SA $100/$500 to sell to us....

326933 SkyDweller, 126711 GMT II CHNR
12600 DeepSea Seadweller
14060 No Date Submariner
16710 GMT II Pepsi N-Series, Coke F Series
novae500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 04:19 AM   #83
RadSS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendota View Post
I read an article last year from a really respected watch journalist who covered that exact topic. He interviewed over 60 of the largest ADs from around the world and they have all been complaining to Rolex about this very subject. He said he also spoke with Rolex representatives and between what they said and what the ADs reported, Rolex is actually listening and planning to do something about it.

I posted it last year and immediately got flamed. Most didn't even read it and just assumed it was my own opinion so I must be wrong, while others were afraid that somehow the value of their own watches would be at risk if the insanity were to end. I'll see if I can find it again and PM it to you if interested. It was a really interesting read.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
I don’t think Rolex cares at all. People want their watches and they are even selling many that were never sought after. What they can do is increase production and penalize ADs that have watches move i to the grey market say less than 3-6 months. But are they doing anything?
RadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 04:20 AM   #84
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaswirl View Post
Humm. Might as well buy the unworn BLRO on jubilee he has for $24k and just buy the oyster bracelet separately. Both bracelets and still less expensive.
It’s a bargain that way.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 04:20 AM   #85
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepseadoug View Post
My guy, I seen a 50 year old fat guy that does watch reviews in his moms basement in the uk with Cheeto dust still on his fingers charging advertising space on his mini fridge. Who you think owns half that moms basement fridge advertising space? Yes sir David sw. Anything’s possible.

Haha deepseadoug....W T F are you talking about

Old 13 May 2021, 04:23 AM   #86
ippon20
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710 (3186)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadSS View Post
I don’t think Rolex cares at all.

I agree. Once that metal leaves Rolex SA it’s sold and gone in their eyes. The responsibility lies solely with Rolex USA on enforcement (if any) and the AD for accountability.

Instagram @pivot_and_spine
ippon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 04:37 AM   #87
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:

Archie I assume
Old 13 May 2021, 04:52 AM   #88
JodyHighroller
Banned

Quote:

Yeah, it’s Archie lol. Discussion of him is frowned upon these parts I’ve come to find out.

I do enjoy watching some of his videos, but beware that he’s not firing on all cylinders at times. He is very knowledgable though when it comes to horology. He’s from Australia btw.
JodyHighroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 05:16 AM   #89
Jacksan
Banned

Watch: SkyDweller
Billionaires would not be dealing with AD's. They will have an assistant that will get them whatever timepiece they ask for.

I am sympathetic to some of the AD's with their ongoing predicament with the SS models.
"Do I sell to a client with a history, who has proven that they will continue to buy more in the future, or a grey market dealer who will buy the less desirable pieces bundled along with a SS model both of which would improve my bottom line to a greater degree than a new unproven client?"
Tough on both ends, the AD seller and the buyer.

Time equals money, in this scenario; which are you willing to spend, to acquire the Rolex model you desire?
Jacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 05:33 AM   #90
javier
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbalster View Post
I think the front of the line pass is worth it at Disneyland for what it's worth. That's not hype!
This
javier is offline   Reply With Quote