The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 September 2021, 12:38 AM   #61
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Thanks for sharing, I wish you all the best, take care.

♕126610 ♕126333 ♕116300
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2021, 03:20 AM   #62
HACKNSACK44
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Wishing you and your family the best!
Old 13 September 2021, 04:05 AM   #63
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
Thank you for sharing these heartwarming stories (both OP and Timelord). I wish you and your families health, happiness, and resilience.
SoylentGreenChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2021, 05:44 AM   #64
jamescarter2a
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mostly Rolex
I wish you and your family all the best and especially a quick and full recovery for your wife.
jamescarter2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2021, 05:47 AM   #65
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Wishing you and your wife all the very best.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 04:59 AM   #66
mjwalter80
"TRF" Member

Wishing your family the best - Years ago, my mom was diagnosed with cancer and was able to come out the other side clean. It can be beat so keep fighting the good fight!
mjwalter80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 05:05 AM   #67
envuks

“A life ain’t a life ‘till you live it”

A watch becomes sentimental when you experience life’s ups and downs with it on your wrist. Good on you for wearing it how it’s meant to be worn.

Sending your wife, you, and your family strength and luck to guide you through her health journey ahead. Envisioning positive outcomes for you both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2021, 08:05 AM   #68
alex.cicollo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few
These posts and stories are so moving and brought a couple of tears to my eyes. Wishing each and everyone of you only the best, and tonight I’ll be saying special a few special prayers. To the OP, thank you for sharing and creating this beautiful post full of love. Sending you loads of positive thoughts and vibes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noshame View Post
In 2017 my lovely wife gifted my first Rolex, an 116610LN, for our 10 year wedding anniversary. I wore it mostly on weekends or special occasions, so I'm guessing only 50-75 days a year.

Earlier this spring she was diagnosed with cancer. Instinctually, I grew more connected to my Subbie and this was the first summer I wore it daily. On my wrist during our family vacation, hanging out with our two amazing boys in the backyard, to every doctor's visit and hospital scan. I even started wearing it at home, which is something I never did.

I guess I'm just trying to share with you how I always wanted to keep this sentimental gift pristine, babied, because I thought it would be more special that way. Now I realize that it's actually more special when I wear it every day, and look down at my trusty Subbie, and think about my beautiful wife and two young sons. I can't control the future, but I know that this watch will be with me every step of the way.

Thank you for reading this post and I wish all of you and your loved ones the best of health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCC watches View Post
Your story hits very close to home. In 2016 my pregnant wife was diagnosed with breast cancer which kicked off a crazy 12 months. Doing well now but I would say buying and reading about watches during that time was my escape. All I can say stay positive and best of luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
I spoke to a family member last night that that had just found out she had cancer, and the prognosis is about as bad as it gets. Only 40 years old so this doesn't spare anyone. I've spent a lot of today wondering what actually matters, so your post really hits home.

I wish you and your wife and family the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skp View Post
I know a few friends who have parents that passed away from cancer and a few that beat it. My wife who is young recently received a brain tumor diagnosis. I'm guessing that you're in the Vancouver area as I am also. The medical system here is very frusterating. It took us 18 months to get an MRI. I hope things are better for your family regarding medical access. Will keep you in our prayers! Oh and I found that a sub needs to be worn daily to be really appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2 View Post
Your story has resonated with me a bit, and life can throw you same curve balls. That's for sure!

My father gave me his Rolex GMT right off his wrist one day while I was a checker at a grocery store. I had just graduated from college and I was living at home. We were struggling financially. I knew that, but never wanted him to feel like he was failing us in some way. He wasn't. His divorce was rough…

I wore the watch for a number of years and even had it serviced a few times but when the bracelet started to show signs of excessive wear, rips on the gold center links, I placed it in a drawer. A new bracelet was very expensive. Later I married, had kids and other responsibilities and the watch was not something I could afford to refurbish. Years later, (25 years!) at my fathers 40th anniversary to my step mother (whom I love dearly), he commented on the fact that I never wore the watch. It definitely made me feel bad.

That would be when I started looking for ways to repair or replace the bracelet so I could at least wear it. I found the Rolex forum and joined immediately. Got some recommendations from other posts, and had the bracelet refurbished by Rolliworks (thank you community!). He was very happy to see it on my wrist again. As my marriage dissolved a;sp during this time, I knew I had to service it because the years of inactivity had dried up what was left of any oils and it definitely needed some TLC.

BTW, I have 3 kids now 17, 19 and 20. Love them to death!

I sent my watch to Phillip Ridley this year in March or April…doesn't matter. While it was being serviced, I too was diagnosed with lung cancer. Stage 4. I'm 55 and work out regularly so it kind of masked the tell tale signs. Needless to say, shit changes fast.

I am currently on medication and doing very well BTW, but it really is about the people in your life that matter. They make your life enjoyable and fulfilling. I sent the watch in because I wanted my father to know that I truly appreciated his gift. On a side note, his wife bought him a 16570 a year later after he gave me his! She totally gets it! And on another side note, the watch that I was wearing in the interim was from my Grandparents who had traveled the world and bought me a Seiko diver on my 12th birthday! HIs parents.

Anyways…

He was surprised to see it on my wrist. when it was finally serviced. We had not been seeing each other very regularly prior to an unfortunate event so he didn't know what I was doing.

Another side note. Thank you Phillip, I truly appreciate you working with me!

The watch is still old. It doesn't glow anymore but it is one of my prized possessions. Even though it is, in the end just a thing. A disposable item that can never be the same as the love you feel for someone or the love they share in return.

My Father made a spontaneous decision. Not because of the accomplishment but more because he loves me. That is why every time I look at the watch he gave me, it makes me think of how much he loves me. And, I think of him.

I know your wife will recover from this unfortunate diagnosis. Stay strong and be well. She can beat this. I will too.

WTF! no pictures! And. I hope you appreciated the punctuation.

I'm quite sure many have already seen this but I am quite proud of my Father's watch and the reason he gave it to me! It is quite possible I may sell it one day if an unfortunate event occurs. At the same time I know he would approve. Here is my gift from my Father.

alex.cicollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2021, 08:11 AM   #69
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Absolutely agree with your discovery. The watch is just a mechanical thing, but the sentiment behind the gift, all that the gift represents, really blooms when you wear that watch everyday. It's a connection you feel each time you look at it.

I'm very sorry your discovery occurred in the wake of a difficult diagnosis. I hope the very best for you, for your wife, and for the family.

Time is precious, time with loved ones even more so, and perhaps a watch like yours, a gift, is an ideal reminder of that truth.

Take care...
Lew Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2021, 08:16 AM   #70
Emiliomcol
"TRF" Member

Watch: Some
Wishing a full and speedy recovery for your wife !!!

Emiliomcol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2021, 08:33 AM   #71
WatchGuy1966
"TRF" Member

Wishing your wife, you, and your family recovery, health, peace, and comfort
WatchGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2021, 09:38 AM   #72
Fredcohiba
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 126334
Thank you for sharing this.
Wishing your wife a full recovery and all the best to you and your boys.
Keep us posted.
Fredcohiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2021, 10:05 AM   #73
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

Cancer sucks and does not discriminate. I sincerely hope that she makes a full recovery. Life is short, and you are wise to enjoy every minute with your family and your wife’s gift to you.
S’portEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2021, 11:05 AM   #74
PureCoconut
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5711
Sending every bit of positive energy your way. Best of luck to your wife for a full and speedy recovery!!!
PureCoconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2021, 12:35 PM   #75
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

Wishing you and your family strength and patience and sending you positive energy

Watcheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2021, 12:57 PM   #76
Xichan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
In 2017 my lovely wife gifted my first Rolex, an 116610LN, for our 10 year wedding anniversary. I wore it mostly on weekends or special occasions, so I'm guessing only 50-75 days a year.

Earlier this spring she was diagnosed with cancer. Instinctually, I grew more connected to my Subbie and this was the first summer I wore it daily. On my wrist during our family vacation, hanging out with our two amazing boys in the backyard, to every doctor's visit and hospital scan. I even started wearing it at home, which is something I never did.

I guess I'm just trying to share with you how I always wanted to keep this sentimental gift pristine, babied, because I thought it would be more special that way. Now I realize that it's actually more special when I wear it every day, and look down at my trusty Subbie, and think about my beautiful wife and two young sons. I can't control the future, but I know that this watch will be with me every step of the way.

Thank you for reading this post and I wish all of you and your loved ones the best of health.
Lot of wisdom in this post. Best wishes to your wife and everyone battling with her! You’ll be in our thoughts.
Xichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2021, 02:27 PM   #77
eijiboy
Banned

hope for speedy recovery to your wife my friend. This post made me realize that life is too short not to enjoy things in life. from now on im going to enjoy all my watches and avoid babying them. In the end, we dont know when we get called so might as well enjoy while alive.
eijiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2021, 07:46 PM   #78
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:

Very touching story. I wish you guys a very long and beautiful life together and you many other gifts from her.

Old 16 September 2021, 09:48 PM   #79
Societas
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Blue SkyD
Best wishes to you and your wife.
Societas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2021, 10:11 PM   #80
stevek84
"TRF" Member

best wishes to you and your family
stevek84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2021, 05:17 AM   #81
noshame
"TRF" Member

Message from OP:

To the 78 TRF members who have taken the time to reply with words of encouragement, I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart. While reading these posts, from the best wishes to the heartfelt and personal stories being shared, I am truly touched and have shed a tear or twenty myself.

My wife's prognosis is not favourable, and I am still having difficulty accepting it. We are in our early 40's and our two sons still in elementary school. We have time yet to make many more cherished memories together, and we will.

I wish all of you the best of health and the happiest of times with your loved ones, all while having your most treasured timepiece, whether it be a G-shock or Day-Date, secured to your wrist.
Old 17 September 2021, 05:48 AM   #82
nickk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I finally get it.

Op, your experience (and watch) makes me think about old Rolex ads.

If you were the best husband and dad in your situation, you’d be wearing a Rolex!

Hang tight and be positive fellow Canuck and you’ll see through this experience…

nickk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2021, 06:12 AM   #83
Calborn
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT, Daytonas
Praying for your wife and your family...
Calborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2021, 09:46 AM   #84
Bladeshot

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Best wishes for a full recovery! We make memories while we can. And to some of us, those kinds of special gifts acquire more meaning as we bolt on the memories together with our loved ones.
Old 17 September 2021, 10:10 AM   #85
THC

Watch: 126333
Quote:
Message from OP:

To the 78 TRF members who have taken the time to reply with words of encouragement, I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart. While reading these posts, from the best wishes to the heartfelt and personal stories being shared, I am truly touched and have shed a tear or twenty myself.

My wife's prognosis is not favourable, and I am still having difficulty accepting it. We are in our early 40's and our two sons still in elementary school. We have time yet to make many more cherished memories together, and we will.

I wish all of you the best of health and the happiest of times with your loved ones, all while having your most treasured timepiece, whether it be a G-shock or Day-Date, secured to your wrist.
Cancer Fing sucks.. prayers to her (and you)

MD Anderson possibly?
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2021, 11:59 AM   #86
justjay82
"TRF" Member

Best wishes to her for a fully and speedy recovery
justjay82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2021, 12:54 PM   #87
Grisha40299
"TRF" Member

Best wishes to your wife and pray for her full recovery!
Grisha40299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2021, 01:36 PM   #88
RolexSimon
"TRF" Member

This is what makes gifting watches so special. Thinking of you all.
RolexSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2021, 02:58 PM   #89
209Wrist
"TRF" Member

A watch can hold so much meaning and comfort in a way so few other objects can. Wishing you and your family the best.

209Wrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2021, 06:13 PM   #90
hypnotoad
Banned

Thanks a lot for sharing, I pray and wish the best for your family.
hypnotoad is offline   Reply With Quote