The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 October 2022, 10:37 PM   #61
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Too much green for my tastes but that’s a very personal issue.
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2022, 12:58 AM   #62
daveswordfish
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=Bobcat Sig;12441244]You sold it!? At the risk of total thread drift... was yours and early model or a later model with the updated clasp? I ask because I also search for a Bluesy and the late-production models with the updated clasp seem about right for me]

D serial…2005

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
daveswordfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2022, 01:40 AM   #63
asrah
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Back in 2015 when I was buying my first Rolex and both the black and green subs were available in the store, I chose to go with black as the more classic versatile option. if the same thing happen now I would have picked the green, not because it's better but just because of the hype.
The moral of the story is that the hype and gray market prices impact your decision, wonder how many of us would have picked different watches if everything is available
asrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2022, 03:30 AM   #64
IamJacky
"TRF" Member

Personally I wouldn't want to own a 116610LV but that's only because I simply don't like how overly green it is, I much prefer the 16610LV or 126610LV.

But objectively speaking, I think it is a really special piece because it is the successor to Rolex's 50th anniversary green Sub and the one and only Submariner with green bezel and dial, it's just special. And if you love it I don't see why not go for it.
Old 29 October 2022, 08:17 AM   #65
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by ml91 View Post
The movement is 34 years old…
is this a positive statement or a negative statement?
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2022, 10:06 AM   #66
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
I just can't do all that green, especially in two different shades. Just never warmed up to it. But that's just me. Buy what you like.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2022, 01:26 PM   #67
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
How much do you like green, OP? And is it any green?

Did you have a chance to hold the watch in your hand and see how the dial reflects a strong light? That's a key element of this piece. It shows a vivid metallic Kelly green hue under certain lighting conditions, then the dial can become very dark, almost black. The bezel on the other hand has a milky appearance that can never really match the extreme variation of the dial, so it looks off more often than not.

Personally, I like a sunburst dial as long as it looks great under any condition, which to me is the case with the TT blue Sub, for example. However, with the Hulk, I really didn't like that aspect of the dial in real life at the AD. I've yet to see a Hulk that looks good to me in the sun or under a direct light. There are plenty of great pictures of it around looking good in the shade. Don't let those fool you. You've got to make sure you love it when that dial goes full sunburst before you decide to add it to your collection. Don't let the hype influence your decision. Before the hype, ADs couldn't get rid of them, there's a reason for that. People started to buy it as an investment, not to wear it.

If you like it for what it truly is, then go for it.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2022, 03:03 PM   #68
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by h20addict View Post
It is hands down the most unique factory offered Submariner ever produced.
This. I absolutely love mine
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2022, 03:51 PM   #69
Manamana
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
is this a positive statement or a negative statement?
Definitely positive in my book, the 3135 is a tried and tested movement vs the new 3235 which has a lot of problems, and makes noise when shaking the watch like an ETA movement. Some posters in this forum have said they stopped buying Rolex with new movements until problems are solved.
Manamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2022, 03:54 PM   #70
Manamana
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Definitely positive in my book, the 3135 is a tried and tested movement vs the new 3235 which has a lot of problems, and makes noise when shaking the watch like an ETA movement. Some posters in this forum have said they stopped buying Rolex with new movements until problems are solved.
Manamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2022, 04:31 PM   #71
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
BrazenC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2022, 05:41 PM   #72
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

I am looking forward to the incoming thread!
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2022, 06:36 PM   #73
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
They didn't start selling the 116610LV until 2010, so the oldest model, if unserved, will have a movement that is 12 years old.

If a design that was launched 34 years ago (if that's what you mean) is considered in some way inadequate, you can opt for the more modern 32 based movement in the 12 series, with its longer power reserve, stiff, gritty action, noise, and reliability issues. Something for everyone.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2022, 06:43 PM   #74
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post

It’s funny you mention the Bluesy. It too is on my list for similar reasons.
This is an illness that does not affect only you. Once I got my 116610LV I started lusting after the 116613LB. Unnecessary but essential if you're me. It's beautiful and they get equal wrist time. It's not gaudy but there's no getting away from the gold. I even managed to get it from my AD at a discount - happy days.
Old 30 October 2022, 01:52 PM   #75
Bobcat Sig
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II, Exp Polar
I must say; I’m rather enjoying the banter around the Hulk. Personally, I find it more interesting than negative AD stories or an incoming thread. Those are both fine in their own right, but we seem to have an abundance of them. Thanks for humoring me and chatting about the Hulk. I appreciate it.

[QUOTE=daveswordfish;12442389]
Quote:
You sold it!? At the risk of total thread drift... was yours an early model or a later model with the updated clasp? I ask because I also search for a Bluesy and the late-production models with the updated clasp seem about right for me]

D serial…2005

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love it. That’s the era I’m targeting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asrah View Post
Back in 2015 when I was buying my first Rolex and both the black and green subs were available in the store, I chose to go with black as the more classic versatile option. if the same thing happen now I would have picked the green, not because it's better but just because of the hype.
The moral of the story is that the hype and gray market prices impact your decision, wonder how many of us would have picked different watches if everything is available
Funny enough, when I began my serious foray into watches, I largely ignored the Sub due to the hype, and with it; the Hulk. It wasn't until I looked into the Hulk, the price it commands on the used market, and its production numbers, that I learned of its hype. All that to say is that hype doesn't affect me that much. I'm intrigued by it as it's one of the few green-dialed watches from Rolex, its low production numbers, and its rarity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJacky View Post
Personally I wouldn't want to own a 116610LV but that's only because I simply don't like how overly green it is, I much prefer the 16610LV or 126610LV.

But objectively speaking, I think it is a really special piece because it is the successor to Rolex's 50th anniversary green Sub and the one and only Submariner with green bezel and dial, it's just special. And if you love it I don't see why not go for it.
That's where I am with my thought process.
Bobcat Sig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2022, 02:03 PM   #76
Bobcat Sig
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
How much do you like green, OP? And is it any green?

Did you have a chance to hold the watch in your hand and see how the dial reflects a strong light? That's a key element of this piece. It shows a vivid metallic Kelly green hue under certain lighting conditions, then the dial can become very dark, almost black. The bezel on the other hand has a milky appearance that can never really match the extreme variation of the dial, so it looks off more often than not.

Personally, I like a sunburst dial as long as it looks great under any condition, which to me is the case with the TT blue Sub, for example. However, with the Hulk, I really didn't like that aspect of the dial in real life at the AD. I've yet to see a Hulk that looks good to me in the sun or under a direct light. There are plenty of great pictures of it around looking good in the shade. Don't let those fool you. You've got to make sure you love it when that dial goes full sunburst before you decide to add it to your collection. Don't let the hype influence your decision. Before the hype, ADs couldn't get rid of them, there's a reason for that. People started to buy it as an investment, not to wear it.

If you like it for what it truly is, then go for it.
I’m part Irish, so green has always appealed to me. Though if I’m to acquire a Hulk, it would be the first green watch of any kind in my collection.

I’ve had a chance to view all three Bluesy examples. And on the five-digit, the dial is especially dazzling. I’ve been told by reliable sources that the Hulk employs similar characteristics, so that’s a big attraction to me.

Though to be far, I’ve not yet seen or held a Hulk in person. That, as you say, is the key here. I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manamana View Post
Agreed. Thought don’t say that too loud. The 32-series in my SD43 has been trouble-free thus far….

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
I am looking forward to the incoming thread!
Heh. It’ll happen, just not in the coming days. With a heavy travel schedule and the holidays nearly upon us, it’ll be a minute until I can pull together the sheckles and more importantly, be home to receive an example. And then there’s the whole matter of actually viewing one in person first. But we’ll get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
This is an illness that does not affect only you. Once I got my 116610LV I started lusting after the 116613LB. Unnecessary but essential if you're me. It's beautiful and they get equal wrist time. It's not gaudy but there's no getting away from the gold. I even managed to get it from my AD at a discount - happy days.
I hear you. The Bluesy is something else. I'm smitten with it. Fortunately, it doesn't command the high price - at least the five-digit does not - as the Hulk, so they are easier to come by. One of those will join my collection at some point.
Old 30 October 2022, 11:52 PM   #77
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR Jubilee
OP - here is great video to help you decide. I really like new WG Blue Sub, as well as my 126610LV, so I looked for a comparison video. They were also compared to the green dial sub and blue dial WG sub. At the end he selected the green dial sub, then the 126610LV, then the black and blue sub, and the all blue sub last. It really is a matter of taste. I see the attraction to the green and blue dials, but I just like the contrast between the black dials more. They are all fantastic watches! Great to see them all next to each other to compare.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TOlhKdfi93U
Old 31 October 2022, 04:20 AM   #78
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
Green is not for me.
Ny325 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2022, 08:05 AM   #79
stainlesssteve
"TRF" Member

In Hulk, Brother.
Old 31 October 2022, 08:10 AM   #80
Oyster Al
"TRF" Member

Sporty, bold, different, and now retired….. a legend and growing.
Oyster Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2022, 08:13 AM   #81
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

After getting my 116610LV, while waiting for my 116613LB (seven months), I was at my AD and saw the 116619LB. To this day it's the only 11 or 12 series Sub Date I've ever seen on display for sale at my AD.

The MSRP is more than I could justify for a watch but it was a close run thing. The Smurf with the blue dial is utterly superb. Looking at photos on line it's easy (most of the time) to click away. In the metal it exerted a strong magnetic attraction which was hard to resist.
Old 31 October 2022, 08:21 AM   #82
WatchGuy1966
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainlesssteve View Post
In Hulk, Brother.
haha, love that!

You find it here.

IHSV
WatchGuy1966 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2022, 09:52 AM   #83
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
Get a Hulk. I've owned them all, and the Hulk remains my favorite SS Rolex Ever made. Period.

It is incredibly significant as well for its impact on the watch world - everyone is so caught up in 'is it worth the grey marker premium/hype' that everyone has forgotten that it was single handedly the watch that started the green frenzy that every other brand has since chased.

Not to mention, it's unbelievable.

Get one.
Old 31 October 2022, 09:53 AM   #84
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster Al View Post

This is an excellent summary. .
Old 31 October 2022, 01:51 PM   #85
woodsworth
"TRF" Member

Have it, love it. Wear it all the time.

Overhyped/overpriced in today's market? Definitely.
woodsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2022, 05:41 AM   #86
Bobcat Sig
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
OP - here is great video to help you decide. I really like new WG Blue Sub, as well as my 126610LV, so I looked for a comparison video. They were also compared to the green dial sub and blue dial WG sub. At the end he selected the green dial sub, then the 126610LV, then the black and blue sub, and the all blue sub last. It really is a matter of taste. I see the attraction to the green and blue dials, but I just like the contrast between the black dials more. They are all fantastic watches! Great to see them all next to each other to compare.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TOlhKdfi93U
Right on. I'll give it a watch (see what I did there?). Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainlesssteve View Post
In Hulk, Brother.
Much love, Brother. I love seeing fellow Sigs here. I've always wondered what the Venn diagram of Sigs and watch aficionados look like, thinking it to be a small one. Glad to see there are at least a few of us. IHSV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster Al View Post
That's what I'm talking about!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post

After getting my 116610LV, while waiting for my 116613LB (seven months), I was at my AD and saw the 116619LB. To this day it's the only 11 or 12 series Sub Date I've ever seen on display for sale at my AD.

The MSRP is more than I could justify for a watch but it was a close run thing. The Smurf with the blue dial is utterly superb. Looking at photos on line it's easy (most of the time) to click away. In the metal it exerted a strong magnetic attraction which was hard to resist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchGuy1966 View Post
haha, love that!

You find it here.

IHSV
Let it be known that WatchGuy1966 has not only been a close friend and mentor but he's also an incredible ambassador for watches, shepherding me into horology and guiding me along the way. It's been really fun to share watches, amongst our other passions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykii View Post
Get a Hulk. I've owned them all, and the Hulk remains my favorite SS Rolex Ever made. Period.

It is incredibly significant as well for its impact on the watch world - everyone is so caught up in 'is it worth the grey marker premium/hype' that everyone has forgotten that it was single handedly the watch that started the green frenzy that every other brand has since chased.

Not to mention, it's unbelievable.

Get one.
I'm smelling what you're cooking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsworth View Post
Have it, love it. Wear it all the time.

Overhyped/overpriced in today's market? Definitely.
And there's the rub. For me, it's more the market price that gives me pause. Though to be fair, the prices seem to be falling.
Old 24 March 2023, 04:24 AM   #87
Bobcat Sig
"TRF" Member

Whelp, here we are, nearly five months later. And all this chatter? It worked.

I. Am. Stoked. Sure, it's the overdone, douchey steering wheel pic, but I couldn't help myself. I'm so excited!

Full set; box, papers, all hang tags and even the bezel protector. And I plan to wear it doing all manner of things. It will not live its live as a safe queen.

It's even a bit of good timing that this green watch lands during the first part of spring, just as green is starting to show on the trees and plants. The day I picked it up was a nice, sunny one, which showcased the green-gold sunburst dial. It really must be seen in person to appreciate it.
Old 24 March 2023, 04:41 AM   #88
bullies
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Whelp, here we are, nearly five months later. And all this chatter? It worked.

I. Am. Stoked. Sure, it's the overdone, douchey steering wheel pic, but I couldn't help myself. I'm so excited!

Full set; box, papers, all hang tags and even the bezel protector. And I plan to wear it doing all manner of things. It will not live its live as a safe queen.

It's even a bit of good timing that this green watch lands during the first part of spring, just as green is starting to show on the trees and plants. The day I picked it up was a nice, sunny one, which showcased the green-gold sunburst dial. It really must be seen in person to appreciate it.
Beauty, congrats!
AP 15400
bullies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2023, 10:22 AM   #89
fishingbear
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
I love them both. But they are entirely different. Which is another reason why I love them both…
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F0684F7C-907D-4543-96BC-4862EC110F04.jpeg (189.5 KB, 81 views)
fishingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2023, 11:19 AM   #90
WatchGuy1966
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullies View Post
Beauty, congrats!
Looks Great Ryan!

It's been fun to watch you go down this journey
WatchGuy1966 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
116610lv , green dial hulk , hulk , submariner 116610 , submariner date