The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 May 2023, 03:53 AM   #61
ctzn
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffetwarren View Post
Has Rolex ever discontinued the Pepsi? I was under the impression it’s never been discontinued since it’s the OG colour way.
Maybe not directly discontinued, but there was a gap (07 - 13 I think?) between the last of the 16710 alu BLRO bezel and the first appearance of the ceramic BLRO bezel on the WG 116719.
ctzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 03:53 AM   #62
Rolexatlast
"TRF" Member

Is this the latest way to prop up used prices?
Rolexatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 03:55 AM   #63
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
Quote:
Has Rolex ever discontinued the Pepsi? I was under the impression it’s never been discontinued since it’s the OG colour way.
Yes, it was discontinued with the 5-digit line in 2007. They allegedly took several years to perfect the BLRO ceramic insert which was introduced with the 116719BLRO only in 2014. It was preceded by the 116710BLNR in 2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexatlast View Post
Is this the latest way to prop up used prices?
It could very well be. Nothing new, however.
Old 23 May 2023, 04:00 AM   #64
PB_nts!
Banned

Watch: Glashutte
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Ten & 32 View Post
This is my ‘My AD said’ but genuinely this IS what my AD told me when I recently purchased my WG GMT blue dial Pepsi.

He said he’d been out to Watches & Wonders and had various meeting/conversations etc with the Rolex people.

What they told him was that of all the bi colour ceramic bezels, the red/blue combo was by far the most difficult to perfect.

They have around an 85% fail rate - the main failure being the red ‘bleeding’ into the blue and leaving a fuzzy join & not straight & crisp as desired.

By comparison, they don’t seem to have the same issues with the blue/black or black/brown on the BLNR or CHNR.

At around £1000 uk sterling manufacturing cost per bezel, 85% failure is getting expensive even by Rolex standards.

What he said was that at ‘some point’ in the future (no time scales specified) Rolex top brass may say enough is enough if the fail rate can’t be improved & withdraw the red/blue altogether.

Don’t shoot he messenger,,,,,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Or they can leave the failure as it is and claim it’s a new invention, bleeding Pepsi! Each bezel has a unique bleed pattern, you will never see two same Pepsi bezel anymore. And jack up the price for 50%
Everyone will be happy
PB_nts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 04:04 AM   #65
Ten Ten & 32
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Aluminium bezel GMT’s ceased production around 2007

The BLRO ceramic bezel didn’t appear until 2014 so I don’t think your statement is correct

Ten Ten & 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 04:10 AM   #66
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey View Post
‘£1000 uk sterling manufacturing cost per bezel’

Your AD said that?
That is laughable. There are $500 Seikos and other brands with ceramic bezels including two color ones. Nothing special about Rolex’s version other than marketing.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 04:21 AM   #67
Swiftneck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is my ‘My AD said’ but genuinely this IS what my AD told me when I recently purchased my WG GMT blue dial Pepsi.

He said he’d been out to Watches & Wonders and had various meeting/conversations etc with the Rolex people.

What they told him was that of all the bi colour ceramic bezels, the red/blue combo was by far the most difficult to perfect.

They have around an 85% fail rate - the main failure being the red ‘bleeding’ into the blue and leaving a fuzzy join & not straight & crisp as desired.

By comparison, they don’t seem to have the same issues with the blue/black or black/brown on the BLNR or CHNR.

At around £1000 uk sterling manufacturing cost per bezel, 85% failure is getting expensive even by Rolex standards.

What he said was that at ‘some point’ in the future (no time scales specified) Rolex top brass may say enough is enough if the fail rate can’t be improved & withdraw the red/blue altogether.

1000 £ in manufacturing cost for a bezel. That's a good reason to never trust that source again.

Sendt fra min SM-F711B med Tapatalk
Swiftneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 04:25 AM   #68
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
This thread is wild, IMO. One more time, if Pagani Design watches can execute on a red/blue ceramic bezel at $240 a pop, I'm certain Rolex can too...
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 04:30 AM   #69
Swiftneck
"TRF" Member

With very few watches now having a premium when selling to greys (pepsi/panda etc) and a generally harder watch market. Most of these are properly going out the backdoor from AD's.

So what do you tell your customers/SA. We don't get as many anymore.

Maybe that the reason.

Old 23 May 2023, 05:56 AM   #70
Ten Ten & 32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiftneck View Post
1000 £ in manufacturing cost for a bezel. That's a good reason to never trust that source again.

and you know the real manufacturing cost because ,,,,,,,,,??

Please insert answer in space left above

Ten Ten & 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 06:26 AM   #71
cy888
2024 Pledge Member

Is this the message AD's send out before they start carrying CPO?
cy888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 06:34 AM   #72
gerry100
"TRF" Member

Good Rumor for those hoping for a Pepsi price bump
gerry100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 06:44 AM   #73
KM95
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry100 View Post
Good Rumor for those hoping for a Pepsi price bump
It most certainly will. Retailers will receive significantly less Pepsi GMT’s compared to previous years. Sprite deliveries will increase during the course of this year.
KM95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 07:11 AM   #74
Swiftneck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
and you know the real manufacturing cost because ,,,,,,,,,??

Please insert answer in space left above

No. But I know it's not 1000£. Common sense tells me that.

I have seen people quoting prices from around 350-375 for ceramic inserts, including the cost of changing it at AD'S. Which wouldn't be possible with a manufacturing cost of 1000£. From the 375, you have to deduct Rolex"s and AD's expenses as well as their margin, which are properly higher on replacement parts than their normal margin on the watches, which are around 35-40 %

To comparison, an aftermarket insert cost around 30 all inclusive. Not that they are directly comparable. But you can also find high quality ceramic inserts on cheaper watches.

The total manufacturing cost for the watch is properly less than 2000£ if there has to be to the sales cost and margins for both AD'S and Rolex.

If you want to believe it cost 1000£. Fine with me.

Old 23 May 2023, 07:15 AM   #75
VerticalClutch
Banned

Quote:

I have seen people quoting prices from around 350-375 for ceramic inserts, including the cost of changing it at AD'S. Which wouldn't be possible with a manufacturing cost of 1000£. From the 375, you have to deduct Rolex"s and AD's expenses as well as their margin, which are properly higher on replacement parts than their normal margin on the watches, which are around 35-40 %

To comparison, an aftermarket insert cost around 30 all inclusive. Not that they are directly comparable. But you can also find high quality ceramic inserts on cheaper watches.

The total manufacturing cost for the watch is properly less than 2000£ if there has to be to the sales cost and margins for both AD'S and Rolex.

all of this right here....

This whole thread could be a case study in gullibility combined with a lack of critical thinking.
VerticalClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 07:20 AM   #76
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey View Post
‘£1000 uk sterling manufacturing cost per bezel’

Your AD said that?
The Rolex buyer at my AD said that too.

This was back before the SS BLRO was introduced and was cited as one reason why the WG variant came first, to claw back some of the R&D and ongoing QC costs.

Not saying I necessarily believe it but it was a part of the conversation and is something I have not forgotten.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 08:32 AM   #77
Lceltic
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
Maybe the reason Pepsi bezel production is slowing down is because Rolex is secretly making Coke bezels for next year?
Lceltic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 08:43 AM   #78
VerticalClutch
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lceltic View Post
Maybe the reason Pepsi bezel production is slowing down is because Rolex is secretly making Coke bezels for next year?
Maybe, just maybe, it’s not slowing down.
VerticalClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 10:08 AM   #79
WilsdorfNDavis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post

Now we have "Buyer at my AD said..."

Old 23 May 2023, 11:07 AM   #80
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post

This was back before the SS BLRO was introduced and was cited as one reason why the WG variant came first, to claw back some of the R&D and ongoing QC costs.

Not saying I necessarily believe it but it was a part of the conversation and is something I have not forgotten.
For the whole bezel, on the WG version, I’d absolutely believe that. Because there’s a bunch of gold there, too. I also think that if there was concern about the ability to scale bezel production then the more limited WG variant made more sense.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 11:42 AM   #81
TVC15
Banned

BLRO bezel insert and metal ring are thinner than with other GMTs. That means separation of production exclusively for Pepsi. I’ve no opinion either way but sounds like a niche production for these blue/red bezels.
TVC15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 11:46 AM   #82
APPRF
"TRF" Member

The GMT is going too 41 size. This is my prediction for next year. Maybe Rolex is starting limiting production with the Pepsi, to get the bigger bezel right this time.
APPRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 11:59 AM   #83
Lceltic
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
Stop being a mud duck. This speculation is all in fun.
Lceltic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2023, 12:06 PM   #84
Goose 104
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126622
I had exactly the same information from my AD this week and it was unprompted - provided as fact not rumour

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app
Old 26 May 2023, 01:19 PM   #85
russ86
"TRF" Member

Heard about that, hard to believe
russ86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2023, 02:32 PM   #86
Rolex.Journey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Inquired with my AD yesterday about my Pepsi. He said availability has got worse this year…. Don’t know if it’s correlated, or bs….. either way it’s annoying

Rolex.Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2023, 05:04 PM   #87
waxy88
"TRF" Member

I spoke with Hans Wilsdorf earlier this week, he said “Don’t worry be happy”
waxy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2023, 05:04 PM   #88
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I’ve heard this from several sources, all whom I trust.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2023, 05:39 PM   #89
emtee
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This. £1000 per bezel makes no logical sense.
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2023, 06:34 PM   #90
1lastone
"TRF" Member

Watch: El primero
Quote:

+1 for another “my Ad said guy” but I picked up my blro a month ago and the store manager was saying the same thing, had been to recent Wow and was told the blro has a high failure rate and is expensive to make in steel for that reason. People can disagree all they want but this is coming from multiple sources.
1lastone is offline   Reply With Quote