The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 24 December 2023, 01:30 AM   #61
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post

The UK in my experience is not as celebratory of people’s success and is more of dragging people down to the same level. However if you happen to hang out with world beaters there, won’t matter.
Its not about dragging people down to the same level, and success is celebrated, just in a more subtle way.

Its more about not wanting to rub the noses of those less fortunate/talented/lucky/wealthy in the simple fact that you are wealthier than they are.

Harry Enfield's loadsamoney and considerably richer than you characters nailed it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8Ku...WG1ecY&index=1

Not everyone has less becase they can't be bothered to better themselves.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Old 24 December 2023, 02:05 AM   #62
TikTok
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Harry Enfield's loadsamoney and considerably richer than you characters nailed it

Classic.
Old 24 December 2023, 02:05 AM   #63
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

And there’s always the opposite - ‘We were so poor’ sketch

https://youtu.be/VAdlkunflRs?si=HN_7l8N-Doj0EEYW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 24 December 2023, 02:09 AM   #64
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
And there’s always the opposite - ‘We were so poor’ sketch

https://youtu.be/VAdlkunflRs?si=HN_7l8N-Doj0EEYW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Brilliant!

Classic inverse snobbery

Old 24 December 2023, 02:12 AM   #65
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have to agree.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 24 December 2023, 02:22 AM   #66
Agamemnon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex - Panerai
In the United Kingdom and throughout the Western world, it depends on where you go: if you go to the poor or infamous neighborhoods, you will feel rich and you might get mugged, while you go uptown you will feel equal or inferior to others and at most you will receive a compliment for your PM Rolex.
It's always the same old hackneyed speeches.
Old 24 December 2023, 02:51 AM   #67
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
I feel bad for the UK, if these are the types of decisions that are keeping you up at night. First of all, nobody knows a white gold watch is even gold. Wear what the hell you want. Free country, I think!
Old 24 December 2023, 02:58 AM   #68
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Its not about dragging people down to the same level, and success is celebrated, just in a more subtle way.

Its more about not wanting to rub the noses of those less fortunate/talented/lucky/wealthy in the simple fact that you are wealthier than they are.

Not everyone has less becase they can't be bothered to better themselves.
I guess, but isn’t that really the same thing?

If you celebrate success then good for that person. You don’t think in terms like, “Wow that guy is rubbing his success in my face.”

It’s a very similar mentality to me, they’re two sides of the same coin.

Of course I don’t live there, I only work with people there and visit. As with everything it depends on where you’re at.

I would and have worn my PM YG pieces to work here and nobody ever said anything unless they know about watches. TBH I’d also wear in the UK if I wasn’t concerned about it getting ripped off my wrist
Old 24 December 2023, 03:06 AM   #69
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
I feel bad for the UK

We in the UK have got way bigger problems than this at the moment!!

Old 24 December 2023, 03:16 AM   #70
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
UK - is it acceptable to wear a full gold Rolex?

Quote:

:

But that in itself is sort of smug and comes off as being arrogant and having an inflated sense of self.

“I don’t want to upset all the peons and lower class people, so I won’t wear a gold watch.”

Seriously? Doesn’t that sound terrible?

If you believe everyone is equal and you treat everyone as an equal, then you don’t have any such thoughts.

Someone mentioned above that the US and UK cultures are very different. I believe this to be true. In the UK, they have a much more rigid class structure that goes back centuries. In the US, it’s much more fluid. We just don’t think like that.

Old 24 December 2023, 03:25 AM   #71
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
But that in itself is sort of smug and comes off as being arrogant and having a self-inflated sense of self.

“I don’t want to upset all the peons and lower class people, so I won’t wear a gold watch.”

Seriously?

If you believe everyone is equal and you treat everyone as an equal, then you don’t have any such thoughts.

Someone mentioned above that the US and UK cultures are very different. I believe this to be true. In the UK, they have a much more rigid class structure that goes back centuries. In the US, it’s much more fluid. We just don’t think like that.

Ahh. But you are looking at it as an American.

So you see it differently. It’s neither smug nor arrogant.

Our cultures are often miles apart.

Old 24 December 2023, 03:39 AM   #72
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

That is true. I never have to worry about it because I never see myself as being more superior, wealthy, lucky, etc. I’m just one of the plebs.

So it’s a non-issue for many of us.

Old 24 December 2023, 03:53 AM   #73
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That is true. I never have to worry about it because I never see myself as being more superior, wealthy, lucky, etc. I’m just one of the plebs.

So it’s a non-issue for many of us.

You’re not fully understanding it though. It’s definitely not about superiority.

Those who consider themselves superior wouldn’t care about how other people felt. And they are often the ones who make a huge deal out of ensuring their steel subs are on full display at all times.

Those are the Harry Enfield characters in real life.

It’s a complex society in the UK. Heck, each of the 4 countries are quite different in many ways.

Old 24 December 2023, 04:16 AM   #74
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
You’re not fully understanding it though. It’s definitely not about superiority.

Quote:
That doesn't sound like a superiority complex to you?
Old 24 December 2023, 04:31 AM   #75
tramplejericho
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 228239 blue dial

Quote:

No. Although I follow the logic.

Old 24 December 2023, 04:33 AM   #76
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Again, you’re reading that from a different perspective.

No it doesn’t. Because it isn’t. It’s an understanding and an acknowledgement.

Those differences exist in life.

And that’s what they are. Differences. None of those things make anyone better than anyone else. Or certainly shouldn’t (although I do appreciate that some people do consider themselves better than others because of what they have/do etc)

I’m not going to flaunt a £40k watch in front of someone for whom £40k would be life changing. That would be an insensitive thing to do. Do you guys use the word “crass”? That’s the best word for it.

That’s not about having a superiority complex. Quite the opposite, it’s being respectful.

Old 24 December 2023, 05:07 AM   #77
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Really? You still have kings and queens who are chauffeured in Rolls Royce. Men wear Saville Row tailored 3 piece suits. People go to finishing school. You can’t tell me that your culture isn’t used to over the top show of wealth.

In the U.S., there is definitely a subculture of wealthy people who like to act like regular folks….drive a Honda, dress like a hippie, fly under the radar.
Old 24 December 2023, 05:14 AM   #78
alex.cicollo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercmanr View Post
I'm in the UK and if I wasn't worried about getting robbed, I'd wear my full rose Daytona everyday without fail. As it is, it only comes out on special occasions, but I love it. If I seen someone out wearing a full gold rolex, I'd go and say what a lovely watch. Wear it and be proud, fuck what other people think

Agreed.

Also in the UK.

On my 911 I’ll wear my Casio, Bamford Snoopy, or MoonSwatch.

On my 10 year old Evoque I’ll wear whatever I like…

On the tube I’ll prob wear any plastic watch these days…

:)
Old 24 December 2023, 05:20 AM   #79
tramplejericho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Really? You still have kings and queens who are chauffeured in Rolls Royce. Men wear Saville Row tailored 3 piece suits. People go to finishing school. You can’t tell me that your culture isn’t used to over the top show of wealth.

In the U.S., there is definitely a subculture of wealthy people who like to act like regular folks….drive a Honda, dress like a hippie, fly under the radar.

Have you ever been to the UK? I would humbly suggest that in the US shows of wealth are far more normalised than in the UK. But I actually like that because there is no sense of guilt, success is success. Not the same here.

The best example I can give is that we don’t call sales people sales people, they’re account directors, or client services consultants… because being in sales is crass, the idea that you earn commission is considered distasteful… why should you earn more money than someone in say customer service?

Whereas being a VP is sales in the US is a big deal, and incentive based pay and things like incentive trips are far more the norm. All of that is considered distasteful, crass, unbecoming… don’t be flash, don’t be ostentatious… it’s not the dome thing.

Being someone who works in both the US and the UK for a US company, and travels there multiple times a year, I can tell you there is a difference.

Old 24 December 2023, 05:40 AM   #80
marmite2005
"TRF" Member

Watch: Slim wrist master
UK born and bred.......I'll wear my DD 18238 on any day I want.....Its not about wearing it, but how you wear it. Under the cuff 90% of the time and no one notices. 10% of the time in full show (summer), just be aware of your surroundings.

95% of people don't even notice your watch.
Old 24 December 2023, 05:43 AM   #81
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tramplejericho View Post
Have you ever been to the UK? I would humbly suggest that in the US shows of wealth are far more normalised than in the UK. But I actually like that because there is no sense of guilt, success is success. Not the same here.

The best example I can give is that we don’t call sales people sales people, they’re account directors, or client services consultants… because being in sales is crass, the idea that you earn commission is considered distasteful… why should you earn more money than someone in say customer service?

Whereas being a VP is sales in the US is a big deal, and incentive based pay and things like incentive trips are far more the norm. All of that is considered distasteful, crass, unbecoming… don’t be flash, don’t be ostentatious… it’s not the dome thing.

Being someone who works in both the US and the UK for a US company, and travels there multiple times a year, I can tell you there is a difference.

Yes I have been and I have seen much arrogance and what we would consider “snobbery”. It certainly exists here as well.
I find this all very interesting….by the way, in the U.S., the most common term for a sales rep is “account executive” .
People in the U.S. are often ridiculed for bragging about their success on social media, and often get comments from the “must be nice” crowd if they drive an expensive EUROPEAN car.
Might not be as different as you think….
Old 24 December 2023, 05:55 AM   #82
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Yes I have been and I have seen much arrogance and what we would consider “snobbery”. It certainly exists here as well.
I find this all very interesting….by the way, in the U.S., the most common term for a sales rep is “account executive” .
People in the U.S. are often ridiculed for bragging about their success on social media, and often get comments from the “must be nice” crowd if they drive an expensive EUROPEAN car.
Might not be as different as you think….

Just to jump in to the middle of this most interesting of debate - London is not in any way representative of the rest of the UK.

Just making an assumption that is where people are most likely to visit from the US on work trips.

Old 24 December 2023, 06:13 AM   #83
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaJJH View Post
Just to jump in to the middle of this most interesting of debate - London is not in any way representative of the rest of the UK.

Just making an assumption that is where people are most likely to visit from the US on work trips.

Yes, there and Bristol. I hope it’s not coming across as a debate. From my perspective, with the royal family and the knighting and the golden place settings, I have always seen that culture as the most in your face showy of any. Again, that’s just my perspective, but I find this thread fascinating that anyone would hesitate to wear a white gold watch!
I will keep reading and learning, while drinking my tea with my pinky out
Old 24 December 2023, 06:13 AM   #84
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:

This is more what I mean.

In my experience, the sentence, “That’s not in my remit.” sums it up for me. It’s much more rare to hear someone in the US say that.

If you went up to the janitor in a building in the US and asked them for help with something they’ll probably try to help you. They’re not going to say, “That’s not my job.” Maybe they don’t view themselves as a janitor; it’s not their identity. Instead it’s something they’re doing today and maybe tomorrow they’re doing something better.

In addition hierarchy and title seem to mean a lot more to them

The impression I get is they feel they shouldn’t overstep their role. Unfortunately overstepping your position is how you gain experience and grow.

So my impression is, when someone steps out without being ordained, they’re knocked back down. Only with it being “official” is it ok.

In the US I think all of that matters way less or it just doesn’t happen; but obviously it depends exactly where you’re at.
Old 24 December 2023, 06:36 AM   #85
PenDelicate
"TRF" Member

Watch: Just a Daytona
Really interesting cultural-difference thread.

It's made me realise something.

We've heard forever that white gold flies, "Under the radar," because those who don't know, will dismiss it as steel.

I've always just accepted that. And it's fine. If you like white gold, that's great.

But if you're buying white gold to fly under the radar, but you actually want yellow gold but don't think it's acceptable to wear it, then that's a little ... not sad but ... unfortunate.
Old 24 December 2023, 07:00 AM   #86
Halifax Daytona UK
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I can assure you in the UK we don’t call people account directors or client service commissioners , Ive never heard anything more ridiculous, they are sales people /person , nothing special or pretentious
As for wearing full gold , good luck as yiu will get mugged for it wherever you go
Old 24 December 2023, 07:33 AM   #87
Belinus
"TRF" Member

Interesting question. I’m in the UK and would feel uncomfortable wearing a yellow gold Rolex. However I don’t know why. I think it’s just not a watch that would fit my personality or maybe confidence with Rolexes. I’ve been tempted with the Tudor BB 58 Bronze and other gold watches that are in the Rolex price bracket. I don’t see many expensive yellow Gold watches often but when I do, I don’t recall ever thinking bad of the watch or the person wearing it because of the watch. From a safety point of view I’ve never felt unsafe wearing a Rolex. If in London I’m more careful than in other parts of UK but I don’t think wearing a gold Rolex would make me feel any less secure
Old 24 December 2023, 08:10 AM   #88
tramplejericho
2024 Pledge Member

About to unsubscribe from my own post before people post photos of King George 3rd, George Washington and the Stars and Stripes.

But a point to note, some people should read the original post which was NOT about whether wearing a white gold watch was socially acceptable.

Old 24 December 2023, 08:14 AM   #89
tramplejericho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax Daytona UK View Post
I can assure you in the UK we don’t call people account directors or client service commissioners , Ive never heard anything more ridiculous, they are sales people /person , nothing special or pretentious
As for wearing full gold , good luck as yiu will get mugged for it wherever you go

Also, I’m from the UK and have worked in sales for 20 years, but hey what do I know.

Old 24 December 2023, 08:17 AM   #90
MrBlobby
"TRF" Member

Maybe you could wear it like the pocket watch in pulp fiction? I believe that was also gold.
Closed Thread