The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12 June 2024, 04:23 AM   #61
Paddydog52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearjockey View Post
Use tapatalk if you need an easy way to post high res pics.

A perplexing post. I have never incurred scratching just from handling the watch. So it’s not unworn and you should not advertise it as such.
Unless it’s an old-school Kermit or hulk, It is not going to climb significantly in value.

My guess is you don’t appreciate much about Rolex watches other than some apparent value retention. If you want true, return then put it in a savings account or some other vehichle.
Jeese.
I guess it depends what you define significant in value, one day it will be referred to as an old skool Starbucks presumably which would then give it the same cachet as the Kermit and hulk enjoy now…
Old 12 June 2024, 04:46 AM   #62
Gearjockey
"TRF" Member

Scratches

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
He is not an enthusiast, just a guy who happened to win a Rolex, and has been obsessing over it ever since. Not sure why he even joined the forum. He’s done obsessing about its authenticity, and has moved on to obsessing over these superficial scratches affecting the value.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for pointing this out.

I had a gut feeling a couple posts in

Absolute nonsense. Outing people here like the scene in THE THING when Kurt Russell figured out the imposter alien. A 45 year old movie and still better resolution than OP photos.

Old 12 June 2024, 04:51 AM   #63
Neil McCauley
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
He is not an enthusiast, just a guy who happened to win a Rolex, and has been obsessing over it ever since. Not sure why he even joined the forum. He’s done obsessing about its authenticity, and has moved on to obsessing over these superficial scratches affecting the value.

Kat

Goddammit this guy again? I got roped into this topic not realising the dudes name.

Sigh….

OP - sell the watch. Please. It’s going to drive you mad. You’re not going to keep it into the 2030’s, let’s face it. You even told us in the other thread you don’t have much money left at the end of each month. This is not what this stuff is all about.
Sell the watch. Use the money wisely.
Old 12 June 2024, 04:51 AM   #64
Bozzie1982
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddydog52 View Post
I’m pretty sure if it gets discontinued then it will be worth more in years to come so I’m not sure what you mean the older it gets the less it will be worth

Plenty of discontinued models have decreased in value..... wouldn't count on that theory.....
Old 12 June 2024, 05:28 AM   #65
Paddydog52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearjockey View Post
Thanks for pointing this out.

I had a gut feeling a couple posts in

Absolute nonsense. Outing people here like the scene in THE THING when Kurt Russell figured out the imposter alien. A 45 year old movie and still better resolution than OP photos.

I’m trying to upload better images but keep getting the following error message:

“The Dimension limits for this filetype are 1250 x 1250. We were unable to resize your file so you will need to do so manually and upload it again. Your file is currently 4032 x 3024.“

Also apologies for adding what you deem to be absolute nonsense, I realise that the majority of members on here are true enthusiasts and I’m falling below the expected standard, will try to be better moving forward.
Old 12 June 2024, 05:29 AM   #66
Paddydog52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozzie1982 View Post
Plenty of discontinued models have decreased in value..... wouldn't count on that theory.....
Plenty of SS submariners though?
Old 12 June 2024, 05:31 AM   #67
Paddydog52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
Goddammit this guy again? I got roped into this topic not realising the dudes name.

Sigh….

OP - sell the watch. Please. It’s going to drive you mad. You’re not going to keep it into the 2030’s, let’s face it. You even told us in the other thread you don’t have much money left at the end of each month. This is not what this stuff is all about.
Sell the watch. Use the money wisely.
It’s conceivable that I could still have it by then if the market doesn’t turn around, I’m fairly sure it will as these things generally go in cycles
Old 12 June 2024, 05:34 AM   #68
Bozzie1982
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Plenty of SS submariners though?
Exactly the model I'm referring to. The 114060 can now be had for just over £8k.and the price is falling all the time.

Explorer 2 another example, 216570 near 7k and falling.

The discontinued theory is all good and well if you have a unique piece. Chances are they just replace the model with another, like the sub and explorer.

Reckon you'd have to wait a good 30 years for your theory to plan out, even then it's probably not far off an inflation increase.

Just my thoughts.
Old 12 June 2024, 06:46 AM   #69
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Meteorite
OP, sell the watch while it still has factory warranty. Use the 10k to invest in other things that can net you more ROI than a mass produced watch.
Old 12 June 2024, 06:50 AM   #70
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

Sell the watch, put it into the stock market, get 20% growth per year.
Old 12 June 2024, 07:39 AM   #71
Paddydog52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Exactly the model I'm referring to. The 114060 can now be had for just over £8k.and the price is falling all the time.

The discontinued theory is all good and well if you have a unique piece. Chances are they just replace the model with another, like the sub and explorer.

Reckon you'd have to wait a good 30 years for your theory to plan out, even then it's probably not far off an inflation increase.

Just my thoughts.
The green bezel submariners seem to have performed very well up to and post their discontinuations, of course the Starbucks could buck that trend, unlikely I would think but time will tell.
Old 12 June 2024, 08:20 AM   #72
kopi-c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Located 7 or 8 scratches on various areas of the bracelet, the rest of the watch is in immaculate condition, that is the condition I intend to keep the watch in until the time comes to sell, never worn and won’t be worn but obviously can’t present it as in immaculate condition so looking to get rid of these scratches as even if I don’t sell for years or may never sell it, irrespective of that I don’t like looking at scratches, would any reputable watch repairer be able to buff out these small blemishes without polishing the whole bracelet? I’m guessing it wouldn’t be a major job costing much? Anyone had a a similar repair carried out? Should it only take a few hours? The watch is a 2021 Rolex submariner 126610LV, will add images to show the scratches within this post or a following post. Thanks all
Leave as is.

If selling, some buyers prefer a used watch that is unpolished.
Old 12 June 2024, 08:25 AM   #73
Dave O
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamingdoctor View Post
Sell the watch, put it into the stock market, get 20% growth per year.
Exactly. And when compounded over the years, you'll be money ahead.

The writing is on the wall. Prices falling. Rolex building a new factory boosting production. Prices will only go down as this is a "nothing" special watch.
Old 12 June 2024, 08:27 AM   #74
kopi-c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’m not sure if I will ultimately sell it or not, obviously current market conditions are not conducive to selling as I could have got £2000 more for it 11 months ago, I’m guessing that it will need to be discontinued then further waiting time of a couple of years post that until this model becomes more valuable than the peak pandemic prices of March 2022 I believe it was, I like to think that if I hold on to it with it in this basically immaculate condition then come say 2031 will there be lots and lots available in this condition, if not then that’s when I could get perhaps 15-20k? Who knows, obviously a lot of ifs and buts but I certainly put a higher value on it than the £10,500 that I got offered recently!
You should have bought some shares of Nvdia, Apple, Microsoft, etc...

A watch is not meant for investing, lol.
Old 12 June 2024, 08:59 AM   #75
Neil McCauley
Banned

Quote:

Just my thoughts.
Hard agree - discontinuation theory only exists if the piece is an oddball, unique and highly desirable. If it's a staple in the catalogue it will be replaced by a new version, and that becomes the "new shiny thing" - see the new SS Daytonas...

While I would say long term it's "safe money" in the sense that it will always hold its value well, you're right in saying that it's going to take 20-30years for something like that to mature, which and even if I think about it now, £20k fo a normal SS Submariner feels a bit OTT to me lol... Then again, perhaps the notion of 10-12k felt the same in 1999...
Old 12 June 2024, 09:04 AM   #76
Paddydog52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
Exactly. And when compounded over the years, you'll be money ahead.

The writing is on the wall. Prices falling. Rolex building a new factory boosting production. Prices will only go down as this is a "nothing" special watch.
I wouldn’t be as pessimistic as yourself with regards to prices recovering, my understanding is that the extra factory will necessarily equate to increased production of the watches per see.
Old 12 June 2024, 09:09 AM   #77
Paddydog52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hard agree - discontinuation theory only exists if the piece is an oddball, unique and highly desirable. If it's a staple in the catalogue it will be replaced by a new version, and that becomes the "new shiny thing" - see the new SS Daytonas...

While I would say long term it's "safe money" in the sense that it will always hold its value well, you're right in saying that it's going to take 20-30years for something like that to mature, which and even if I think about it now, £20k fo a normal SS Submariner feels a bit OTT to me lol... Then again, perhaps the notion of 10-12k felt the same in 1999...
Is it fair to say that the green bezel submariners should/could/will always maintain a certain level of desirability over say an explorer or a GMT?
Old 12 June 2024, 09:12 AM   #78
Paddydog52
"TRF" Member

Quote:

To be fair the Kermit and hulk were replaced by the shiny new Starbucks yet those two discontinued models seem to still be holding up very well?
Old 12 June 2024, 09:17 AM   #79
Paddydog52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopi-c View Post
You should have bought some shares of Nvdia, Apple, Microsoft, etc...

A watch is not meant for investing, lol.
You don’t think people buy certain Rolexes and stick them away in the belief that in X amount of years they will be worth more than the prices the paid for them directly from Rolex? Knowing that over the following years Rolex will continue to increase their prices, I’m not saying it’s anywhere near a safe investment route compared to other avenues but I would think there are some people out there who have bought them as investments, maybe I’m wrong on that though, I don’t know.
Old 12 June 2024, 09:20 AM   #80
lamnyc
"TRF" Member

If the watch isn’t new, then it’s preowned. Immaculate doesn’t mean anything. If a bracelet has been touched up, it’s polished.
Old 12 June 2024, 09:26 AM   #81
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

You’ve got to be kidding me… This thread is ground zero for what a bore the Rolex community has become. Your 126610LV isn’t rare. It isn’t in some special condition. It’s a worn modern watch with what is arguably a less desirable MK I bezel (if you even care about those things; I personally don’t).

Make someone else’s life better and just sell it. Or don’t. And in a decade you “might” pocket an extra grand or two that would have been better placed into a retirement account or Roth. People like to rip on some of the older mods on here for routinely being annoyed by threads like this, but I can’t help but agree.

Kat sniffed this out exactly.
Old 12 June 2024, 09:30 AM   #82
Paddydog52
"TRF" Member

https://chronohunter.com/chronicles/...lex-submariner

Didn’t realise that one of the references was produced for 27 years until it was discontinued! Looks like I’m going to make sure I pack my lunch waiting for any discontinuation! Lol
Old 12 June 2024, 09:38 AM   #83
Paddydog52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
You’ve got to be kidding me… This thread is ground zero for what a bore the Rolex community has become. Your 126610LV isn’t rare. It isn’t in some special condition. It’s a worn modern watch with what is arguably a less desirable MK I bezel (if you even care about those things; I personally don’t).

Make someone else’s life better and just sell it. Or don’t. And in a decade you “might” pocket an extra grand or two that would have been better placed into a retirement account or Roth. People like to rip on some of the older mods on here for routinely being annoyed by threads like this, but I can’t help but agree.

I never said it was rare or in special condition hence pointing out that it has scratches on the bracelet.

Why are you getting annoyed by a thread? You’re not forced to read any of the threads on here, all you’ve done is get yourself annoyed, nobody is forced to read or comment, if you havnt got anything nice to say then it’s generally best to not say anything. That’s a shame. I wish you all the best though.
Old 12 June 2024, 09:42 AM   #84
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I never said it was rare or in special condition hence pointing out that it has scratches on the bracelet.

Why are you getting annoyed by a thread? You’re not forced to read any of the threads on here, all you’ve done is get yourself annoyed, nobody is forced to read or comment, if you havnt got anything nice to say then it’s generally best to not say anything. That’s a shame. I wish you all the best though.
No, I’m saying what I feel in the hopes that we see less of these kinds of posts on the forum. Also the title of this thread is “Scratches.” It’s not exactly the most descriptive title, which is why you need to read through it. If you had, you’d see I am not the only one bored by its contents.
Old 12 June 2024, 09:45 AM   #85
Neil McCauley
Banned

Quote:
You don’t think people buy certain Rolexes and stick them away in the belief that in X amount of years they will be worth more than the prices the paid for them directly from Rolex? Knowing that over the following years Rolex will continue to increase their prices, I’m not saying it’s anywhere near a safe investment route compared to other avenues but I would think there are some people out there who have bought them as investments, maybe I’m wrong on that though, I don’t know.
Respectfully, those people don't tend to have no money by the end of the month, as you've mentioned in another thread. This is not a good financial decision.
Old 12 June 2024, 09:48 AM   #86
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Respectfully, those people don't tend to have no money by the end of the month, as you've mentioned in another thread. This is not a good financial decision.
Wanna get a cup of coffee?
-Vincent Hanna

Old 12 June 2024, 09:51 AM   #87
Neil McCauley
Banned

Quote:
Is it fair to say that the green bezel submariners should/could/will always maintain a certain level of desirability over say an explorer or a GMT?
I wouldn't necessarily say so, no. GMT's are a different level of watch with an additional complication and are considered much tougher to obtain. Again, the Explorer is a different watch altogether, you're comparing apples to oranges here.

Quote:
To be fair the Kermit and hulk were replaced by the shiny new Starbucks yet those two discontinued models seem to still be holding up very well?
The 16610LV, or Kermit as you call it, was produced in relatively small quantities compared to the others, and was an official Anniversary piece.

The 116610LV, or Hulk, as you call it, is only "holding up" due to its insane, post-covid spike. It's not done falling, there are hundreds on the market right now.
Old 12 June 2024, 09:54 AM   #88
Neil McCauley
Banned

Quote:
Wanna get a cup of coffee?
-Vincent Hanna

2 seconds flat ;)
Old 12 June 2024, 10:27 AM   #89
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
I’m pretty sure if it gets discontinued then it will be worth more in years to come so I’m not sure what you mean the older it gets the less it will be worth

Common sense. The newer the reference, whether still being produced, or discontinued, the more it’s worth. Besides, the green bezel Sub isn’t going anywhere. It’s very popular.

Kat

Old 12 June 2024, 10:33 AM   #90
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:

We Jersey folks know what’s up….LOL This guy needs attention, or something. What he should do is sell this watch immediately, and then join an investment forum.

Kat

Closed Thread