The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 June 2024, 07:12 PM   #61
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
For many of us, the best Submariner is the one we have on our wrist, I would guess that many of us only own one, maybe that is a vintage 4 digit, the well respected 5 digit, maybe its the first 6 digit model or like me your first Submariner is the most recent model.

I have no idea if the 124060 is the best Rolex Submariner ever, but it is the one that I wear and I think that it is great. Would I exchange it for the next model that gets released? No, there would be no point, my Submariner will be ticking long after I have stopped ticking.

So, has Rolex ruined the Submariner, no, it has just evolved into this latest incarnation.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 07:58 PM   #62
belutak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Variety
does anyone else think rolex ruined the sub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 928ktgold View Post
Lately since not wearing my 124060 as much I realized. I like the size of my 126710BLNR more. The 12 series is an improvement in case over the 11 series. I just wish it was smaller by 1 mm. I have had 5 series sub all my life and a couple of years of the 16610LV. The smaller size is more elegant to me. I also wish the new sub41 wasn’t as boxy and more like the 5 series. The bracelet and clasp are a little big but don’t bother me. I’d welcome even slimmer lugs and chamfers on the 12 series as well

I also do not like the latest variant size, they should have kept it at 40

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
belutak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 08:02 PM   #63
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
I'm the opposite, in that I think the current reference is the perfect evolution of the Sub.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 08:02 PM   #64
belutak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRabens View Post
I have an 11 series 40 mm sub and I am very content with it. My grail is actually the Smurf and/or Hulk, which only comes the 11 series so I guess it’s lucky for me that I don’t mind the 11 series case. But with that said, I would probably happily wear a 12 series, but I have no desire to Trade or sell my 11 series for a 12 series.

Smurf is the ultimate Rolex in my honest opinion, no other Rolex watch comes close to it

Old 18 June 2024, 08:03 PM   #65
kwingy
"TRF" Member

Had the Cermit and did not keep it long. I disliked the wider bracelet and the bigger case shape overall. They should have followed the case shape of the GMT.
kwingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 08:05 PM   #66
belutak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
I have owned 2 12 series Subs and a number of 11 series Subs.
There’s a trade-off with both models. The clasp size and bracelet is better for me with the 11 series. I much prefer the size of the clasp on the GMT so that saying something about comfort in how they taper. Dial, hands and lume is splitting hairs. The lugs are better on the 12 series. Both have flat maxi-case sides. When I get another Sub it could be either series. There is an argument for both movements. Build quality and materials are equal. I have owned the pre ceramic for decades and that is a completely different animal and more vintage in feel and build.

I suspect the previous movement is better. I own the 124060 and it is loosing time at an uncomfortable rate from new

Old 18 June 2024, 08:06 PM   #67
belutak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Thanks for this

I own both and the lug profile isn’t as noticeable on the wrist as in pictures IMO.

What is noticeable is the clasp. IMO the 114060 wears better. Obviously YMMV

It does wear better

Old 18 June 2024, 08:15 PM   #68
Neil McCauley
Banned

I honestly think this conversation is absurd, sorry
Neil McCauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 08:26 PM   #69
belutak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
I honestly think this conversation is absurd, sorry

It is! And it’s entertaining too!

Old 18 June 2024, 09:03 PM   #70
sgt10p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
I had the first LV, a beautiful watch which I had to sell. When I bought the replacement I chose the 12 series. The proportions work the same but with everything upgraded for the same price as the older model on the Grey market.

For me it's perfect. I prefer the maxi dial, hated the Maxi case, love the glide lock. People complain about issues with the movement but for me it's outstanding.
sgt10p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 09:16 PM   #71
1William
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like my 124060 and think it is the best Submariner I have ever owned going back 30 years and a lot of models.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20231114_110341 (002).jpg (78.1 KB, 263 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 09:32 PM   #72
THC

Watch: 126333
Quote:
Originally Posted by L_S_SHOE View Post
No. The 116610 was an unattractive watch with shoulder pads. The 126610 case is absolutely better proportioned.

This was hysterical, but yet true
THC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 09:36 PM   #73
dubins930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
5 series Subs: the best proportions for the Sub case without any doubt, but the bracelets are indeed disappointing.
6 series 11xxxx bracelets are good, but the case proportions are not at all satisfactory.
6 series 12xxxx bracelets are even better in terms of proportions with the case, and the case is a massive improvement over the 11xxxx. Not as good as the 5 series, although acceptable.
All of this is my personal opinion, obviously.
This is exactly how I feel. Everything after the 5 digit has gone downhill as far as aesthetics. They are getting back on the right track with the 12xxxx.
dubins930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 09:41 PM   #74
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
If the 11 series looked good, they would not have needed to "refine" it into the 12 series and bring back sane proportions.
Ding, Ding, Ding.

I have owned or own the 1680, 16610, 116610 and 126610. I felt the 116 was too blocky and the thinner bracelet was off on that watch. The 126 is perfect for me. It has thinner lungs, is slightly bigger, wider bracelet and bold clasp. I now only own the 1680 and the 126610 LV and 126619 LB.
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 09:43 PM   #75
samson66

Watch: my money leaving!
The current Sub is perfection as far as I'm concerned. The slimmed down lugs and wider bracelet fixed everything I had an issue with in the 11 series. If I'm being completely selfish, I'd love the sub to come in 1mm larger at 41.5mm, but that's just me.
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 09:54 PM   #76
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Rolex improved the design of the Submariner with the 12x. Sleeker lugs, wider bracelet, nicer proportions, to me at least.

Back in 2019, I was interested in a TT Sub, but the supercase gave me pause. In 2020, my prayers were answered. I jumped on the 126613. So glad I did.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 10:09 PM   #77
Big Tex Rolex
"TRF" Member

I bought a 12 Series Submariner … after wearing it for a month, I sold my 11 Series Submariner, and have never looked back.

I like so much more, the proportions of the 12 Series Case-Bracelet-Dial.

I personally do not care for the “blocky” look of the 11 Series Submariner.
Big Tex Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 10:26 PM   #78
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
I prefer the 11 :)
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 10:42 PM   #79
jrinTX
"TRF" Member

I prefer the newer clasp and overall feel of a 12. I was willing to go grey for a 16610, but after trying on the 12 a few times, I’m okay waiting.
jrinTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 10:44 PM   #80
Gearjockey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
This was hysterical, but yet true
Except that it’s false. Fake news.
The 116610 was better in every way. Movement alone trumps it and the 126610 is BORING

I told AD to defenestrate that new sub, not interested after latest iteration.
But I get it. It’s usually everybody’s first Rolex and they’re very excited about it and they think it’s the best reference they’ve ever seen.

The GOAT-Sub is the Hulk. Perfect color combo with broad shoulders and slim ankles as you would expect on the superhero archetype.
I’m sure we’ll hear about the “ya know when it was first introduced, nobody wanted it, sat on shelves” blah blah blah…

Well now everybody wants it, except for the couple of people I hear about on here. It’s reflected in its price.

So be honest with yourself. Would you rather have a 126610LN or 116610LV? Easy answer for most.

Big shoulders and all.
Gearjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 10:45 PM   #81
Krash

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
does anyone else think rolex ruined the sub?

No, not at all. The ceramic Subs are the best watches ever produced.

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 10:56 PM   #82
slide13
"TRF" Member

Love the new 12 series, think they did a fantastic job bringing back some of the 5 digit proportions while keeping it a modern watch.

Over the years I’ve had a 14060M, 114060, and now my 126610. The 5 digits are undeniable classics. The 11 series was nice but the proportions were just off for me, I never really loved that on the wrist and I moved it on largely for that reason. The 12 series hits the perfect balance for me.

Glad so,some posted a pic of the clasps, I’ve never understood the too long criticism, never felt particularly long to me at all and I actually prefer a clasp this size to the smaller clasps on an Exp or GMT, just seems more visually balanced to me. But I’m lucky in that it’s a great fit on my wrist
slide13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 11:20 PM   #83
Lever Escapement
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide13 View Post
Love the new 12 series, think they did a fantastic job bringing back some of the 5 digit proportions while keeping it a modern watch.

Over the years I’ve had a 14060M, 114060, and now my 126610. The 5 digits are undeniable classics. The 11 series was nice but the proportions were just off for me, I never really loved that on the wrist and I moved it on largely for that reason. The 12 series hits the perfect balance for me.

Glad so,some posted a pic of the clasps, I’ve never understood the too long criticism, never felt particularly long to me at all and I actually prefer a clasp this size to the smaller clasps on an Exp or GMT, just seems more visually balanced to me. But I’m lucky in that it’s a great fit on my wrist
Amen Brother
Lever Escapement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 11:25 PM   #84
Lightsped
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, OP41, DJ x 4
This is easy. I have worn both. Both are truly great watches. In the real world, there is practically no difference in how the two Subs look/feel. Its always interesting how so many people think there is such a huge difference in how these look/feel. I'd say the main difference is in the movement. No one else will ever really know or care which version is on the wrist.
Lightsped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 11:26 PM   #85
ROLEX MAN

Watch: you? "YES PLEASE"!
I have owned quite a "few" Rolex's, no other one has sooo many sharp edges as the Submariner. (run you fingers along the edge of the case or crown!)

Yes the bruise is from the Sub!

The most comfortable Watch I have owned is the Milgauss or a Yachmaster, soft no sharp edges, even the Daytona has a smooth case.

Sorry to say but I only have a Submariner because "you have to have one"
Well I mean James Bond had one but he could open zippers!
Submariners case is sharp on all edges, clasp is to long! (OK give it to me!)

And No I don't wear them tight, rather loose!

Compare all of them and the Sub is "sharp" maybe made for a diving suit, now that I understand!

it's not just about telling the time...

happy rolexing...

I'm just a man with a passion
ROLEX MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 11:46 PM   #86
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
i still prefer the 114060. the bracelet is tapered down and feel less heavy
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 11:55 PM   #87
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldofoyster View Post
i still prefer the 114060. the bracelet is tapered down and feel less heavy
I’m sort of with you. It’s not a deal breaker but I tend to agree.

Maybe it’s because I’ve been wearing a lot of watches with thinner tapered bracelets lately.

Ideally if they could’ve done the new case with the old bracelet / clasp that would be perfect although … I’m sure I’d find something to complain about
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2024, 12:01 AM   #88
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLEX MAN View Post
I have owned quite a "few" Rolex's, no other one has sooo many sharp edges as the Submariner. (run you fingers along the edge of the case or crown!)

Yes the bruise is from the Sub!

The most comfortable Watch I have owned is the Milgauss or Yachmaster, soft no sharp edges, even the Daytona has a smooth case.

Sorry to say but I only have a Submariner because "you have to have one"

Submariners case is sharp on all edges, clasp is to long! (OK give it to me!)

And No I don't wear them tight, rather loose!

Compare all of them and the Sub is "sharp" maybe made for a diving suit, now that I understand!
My goodness - I’ve not seen those self printed labels in about 35 years! I can’t even remember what we used to call them.
Mr Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2024, 12:08 AM   #89
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR Jubilee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearjockey View Post
The 116610 was better in every way. Movement alone trumps it and the 126610 is BORING

But I get it. It’s usually everybody’s first Rolex and they’re very excited about it and they think it’s the best reference they’ve ever seen.

The GOAT-Sub is the Hulk. Perfect color combo with broad shoulders and slim ankles as you would expect on the superhero archetype.
I’m sure we’ll hear about the “ya know when it was first introduced, nobody wanted it, sat on shelves” blah blah blah…

Well now everybody wants it, except for the couple of people I hear about on here. It’s reflected in its price.

So be honest with yourself. Would you rather have a 126610LN or 116610LV? Easy answer for most.

Big shoulders and all.
12LV best of both worlds. The only reason I would like the hulk is because it is discontinued and more wanted because of it. I could wear it at night when the dial looks darker but in the day I have never been a fan of the neon light green. I like many have been offered them in the past when at the ADs. I never go grey so even if I liked the hulk I wouldn’t buy aftermarket. But it is a unique watch for sure.
Old 19 June 2024, 12:39 AM   #90
Mr. Drunmond
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearjockey View Post

Big shoulders and all.
You really struggle with knowing the difference between your opinion and fact.