The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 July 2024, 01:17 AM   #61
EEpro
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by APPRF View Post
The waterproofness to 100m is only guaranteed if you screw down the pushers.

Yeah I'll see you down at 100 m.
Old 20 July 2024, 01:18 AM   #62
karleone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazil View Post
I never get tired of seeing this watch or any other Daytona …
karleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 01:23 AM   #63
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by APPRF View Post
The waterproofness to 100m is only guaranteed if you screw down the pushers.
All the screw down pushers are for is for stopping activating the crono function when not needed they have nothing whatsoever to do with waterproofness.Fact it was reported by a french group of divers on forum who activated the crono function while 20m underwater with no harm whatsoever.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 01:24 AM   #64
APPRF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Yeah I'll see you down at 100 m.
OK . Some people are so sensitive when someone says something negative about their Rolex specs. I get it it's normal
APPRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 01:30 AM   #65
APhound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman244 View Post
After buying a 116500 black dial Daytona about 6 weeks ago, I flipped it for this (and a lot of cash obviously). In a lot of ways it is much better. Readability is an order of magnitude better. It keeps better time. The case is finished between the lugs so you can actually switch straps to traditional straps. A nice bonus is the exhibition case back. It's nice to see the movement.

I found the Daytona too small, too hard to read and the screw down pushers were annoying. Also it did not fit my 7.5" (19cm) wrist and seemed to fall to one side or the other no matter how tight the bracelet. The 44mm Speedy fits on my wrist and stays planted.

Nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 01:30 AM   #66
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Any Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
All the screw down pushers are for is for stopping activating the crono function when not needed they have nothing whatsoever to do with waterproofness.Fact it was reported by a french group of divers on forum who activated the crono function while 20m underwater with no harm whatsoever.
Interesting, nice to know and learn ..
Paul Newman

Being Serious = Onto the list you go
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 02:07 AM   #67
Neil McCauley
Banned

Oof! This is the Daytona haters love-in thread! hhehe

Look, I'm objective enough to understand it's not everyone's cup of tea, life would be boring if we all liked the same thing. Personally, for me, the Daytona is special, I love all generations, especially way back to the ones I cannot afford. But I fully understand and appreciate why they're not to everyone's taste. Some folks just love divers, some folks love GMT's or Dateusts/Day-Dates etc, and that's absolutely fine. For some people Daytona's are too small, be that old ones, or modern ones. They have lots of quirks, so it's easy for people to not take to that too much.

What I can't really abide by is when people say things like "I don't understand why people like these" or "I can't understand the 'hype' behind these watches" in reference to the Daytona. It frustrates the life out of me that people can be so short-sighted to understand that it's a big, wide world out there, and there are people out there who like things that you do not.
I don't like hot curry, for example, but my wife loves it. I can understand why she likes it, and I respect that and can explain why i don't like it without berating her for liking it or claiming that she shouldn't either. The same rules apply here. I wish people would be more objective and understanding of others sometimes.

Anyway, rant over. Viva la Daytona!
Neil McCauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 02:29 AM   #68
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
As much as I like the new 126500, it only interests me at list price. Not the current $27k & up they typically go for. These days I’m really digging the new Omega Ed White 321.
Old 20 July 2024, 03:01 AM   #69
Wingman244
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post

Look, I'm objective enough to understand it's not everyone's cup of tea, life would be boring if we all liked the same thing. Personally, for me, the Daytona is special, I love all generations, especially way back to the ones I cannot afford. But I fully understand and appreciate why they're not to everyone's taste. Some folks just love divers, some folks love GMT's or Dateusts/Day-Dates etc, and that's absolutely fine. For some people Daytona's are too small, be that old ones, or modern ones. They have lots of quirks, so it's easy for people to not take to that too much.

What I can't really abide by is when people say things like "I don't understand why people like these" or "I can't understand the 'hype' behind these watches" in reference to the Daytona. It frustrates the life out of me that people can be so short-sighted to understand that it's a big, wide world out there, and there are people out there who like things that you do not.
I don't like hot curry, for example, but my wife loves it. I can understand why she likes it, and I respect that. I don't berate her for liking it or claim that she shouldn't either. The same rules apply here. I wish people would be more objective and understanding of others sometimes.

So you are saying, don't share your opinion if you don't like the Daytona? I like the comments, the more inflammatory, the more passion the better. I actually find I learn things when people express them - I see how they look at the same thing I see and come away with a different view. It sometimes helps me to be able to articulate what I was feeling but unable to put in words. FWIW, after owning a Daytona for about 6 weeks... I did not like it. I stopped wearing it after week 5. The readability issue alone just made me angry every time I looked at it and had to twist my wrist so the hands would catch the light and I could actually read what time it was.
Wingman244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 03:13 AM   #70
Neil McCauley
Banned

Quote:
So you are saying, don't share your opinion if you don't like the Daytona?
If you have to ask me what I'm saying, I suggest you read what I said again until it makes sense.

I didn't say that at all. Not even close to that.
Old 20 July 2024, 03:28 AM   #71
Calatrava r

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
The below is from the Rolex website. They say in the last sentence the screw down pushers are part of the WR system.

The Cosmograph Daytona is emblematic of Rolex’s expertise and stands out by virtue of its chronometric precision as well as its unfailing reliability. For years, Rolex engineers worked on the design and development of calibre 4130, which was optimized to become calibre 4131 in 2023. An adaptation of calibre 4131, calibre 4132, was also launched the same year. Since its creation, the calibre, which is comprised of a minimal number of parts, has established itself as one of the most efficient and robust in the world.

On the one hand, its simplified architecture creates space for the barrel, providing a power reserve of approximately 72 hours. On the other hand, its vertical clutch mechanism guarantees prolonged operation of the chronograph without compromising chronometric precision. This is complemented by the outstanding performance of the Chronergy escapement and the Parachrom hairspring. The hermetic qualities of the Oyster case are maintained by the screw-down pushers and the Triplock winding crown, equipped with a triple waterproofness system
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 03:32 AM   #72
Wingman244
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you have to ask me what I'm saying, I suggest you read what I said again until it makes sense.

I didn't say that at all. Not even close to that.
Well I did read your post again, so I think you said that. You did not like when people said "What I can't really abide by is when people say things like "I don't understand why people like these"." People say that - then follow up with the reasons why they think that. That's kind of the whole reason for this forum right? To have a spirited discussion. If there was no passion, no "popcorn" emoji's I would not be here.

Any way, I read through the thread again and this was just an absolutely great comment below. Had not even thought this.... Brilliant comment and why I keep coming back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw45 View Post
The Daytona mvmt is simply too small. They need a new movement to space out the subdials and go to a bigger dial and thinner bezel. It's like the PP 5070, Rolex has played all the tricks to make the watch seem bigger while hiding the limitations of the mvmt like thinning the ceramic bezel and adding an outter ring. It looks good, but its disguising a DD36 size dial surrounded by a 40mm fat suit of case and pushers. Current mvmt should get sized down into a more fitting 37/8 mm case and a new mvmt created to take the Daytona to 42mm with thinner bezel.
Old 20 July 2024, 03:38 AM   #73
Actor07

Watch: Rolex 126519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gva1985 View Post
Daytona is the peak of the Rolex professional watches imho. Perfect wearability, elegant (without red-blue-green etc details ) with a certain clout. I have three and look forward to adding more but as the Romans would say « de gustibus non est disputandum »
One must not argue about taste. LOL.

I studied Latin for too many years at a Jesuit High School and College.
Actor07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 03:48 AM   #74
Neil McCauley
Banned

Quote:
Well I did read your post again, so I think you said that. You did not like when people said "What I can't really abide by is when people say things like "I don't understand why people like these"." People say that - then follow up with the reasons why they think that. That's kind of the whole reason for this forum right? To have a spirited discussion. If there was no passion, no "popcorn" emoji's I would not be here.
I guarantee you that is not what I said. "I don't understand why people like these" in literal terms means you cannot respect other people's points of view. At no point did I say that people should not say what they think about the Daytona. I've not responded to anyone here saying they shouldn't say this or that.

I get it, some people love the drama and the comments that wind people up, or rub them up the wrong way. I for one do not find much joy in that, but I understand why people might find that fun - I'm still free to cast a judgement in my mind about those kinds of people. The fact you said that you like the inflammatory comments, says all I need to know about you.
Old 20 July 2024, 03:49 AM   #75
Ferrari-F430
"TRF" Member

Are people really using the chronograph part of the Daytona now days? Let's be real about this. It's all about status and how the watch looks on the wrist if you ask me. If you're 50+, using this thing to time stuff when you have an iPhone or anything digital is... just using it to use it. ;)
Ferrari-F430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 03:52 AM   #76
Neil McCauley
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
The below is from the Rolex website. They say in the last sentence the screw down pushers are part of the WR system.

The hermetic qualities of the Oyster case are maintained by the screw-down pushers and the Triplock winding crown, equipped with a triple waterproofness system
Well, that is an interesting comment. I suppose screw-down pushers certainly do not do the opposite of helping toward waterproofness. However, I would argue that in reality, they probably don't do much, either.
Old 20 July 2024, 03:53 AM   #77
Neil McCauley
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari-F430 View Post
Are people really using the chronograph part of the Daytona now days? Let's be real about this. It's all about status and how the watch looks on the wrist if you ask me. If you're 50+, using this thing to time stuff when you have an iPhone or anything digital is... just using it to use it. ;)
I used it to time my dinner the other day when I left the house with the oven on, does that count?
Old 20 July 2024, 03:59 AM   #78
karleone
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I don't like hot curry, for example, but my wife loves it. I can understand why she likes it, and I respect that and can explain why i don't like it without berating her for liking it or claiming that she shouldn't either. The same rules apply here. I wish people would be more objective and understanding of others sometimes.

Well said!
Old 20 July 2024, 04:00 AM   #79
karleone
"TRF" Member

One of my favorite things about the Daytona is that it’s the only chronograph in the Rolex lineup, giving it a unique design that stands out among their models. Unlike the Submariner, GMT-Master, Sea-Dweller, and Explorer II, which share a similar DNA and design ethos, or the Oyster Perpetual, Datejust, and Day-Date, which also have overlapping characteristics, the Daytona offers something distinctly different. This singularity makes the Daytona not just another Rolex, but a chronograph icon in its own right, celebrated for its individuality and unparalleled style.
Old 20 July 2024, 04:07 AM   #80
archershot23
Banned

Yesss!!!! Can more people please feel underwhelmed by the Daytona? Leave all the Daytonas at retail for me!!!
archershot23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 04:12 AM   #81
Mystro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post

The Cosmograph Daytona is emblematic of Rolex’s expertise and stands out by virtue of its chronometric precision as well as its unfailing reliability. For years, Rolex engineers worked on the design and development of calibre 4130, which was optimized to become calibre 4131 in 2023. An adaptation of calibre 4131, calibre 4132, was also launched the same year. Since its creation, the calibre, which is comprised of a minimal number of parts, has established itself as one of the most efficient and robust in the world.

On the one hand, its simplified architecture creates space for the barrel, providing a power reserve of approximately 72 hours. On the other hand, its vertical clutch mechanism guarantees prolonged operation of the chronograph without compromising chronometric precision. This is complemented by the outstanding performance of the Chronergy escapement and the Parachrom hairspring. The hermetic qualities of the Oyster case are maintained by the screw-down pushers and the Triplock winding crown, equipped with a triple waterproofness system

Confusing the way they put that out of context but in fact the screw down has nothing to do with maintaining 100m wr on the Daytona. It has well been documented the screw down pushers are for “accidentally” activating the buttons under water but even then they have shown to be fine when activated underwater on several dives by others. It’s a secondary defense to “idiot proof” accidental button activation under water. My definition is more succinct, but won’t be used in the brochure.
There are some great pics of how the buttons are fitted to the oyster case and that clearly shows the screw downs do nothing.
Old 20 July 2024, 04:13 AM   #82
archershot23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Confusing the way they put that out of context but in fact the screw down has nothing to do with maintaining 100m wr on the Daytona. It has well been documented the screw down pushers are for “accidentally” activating the buttons under water but even then they have shown to be fine when activated underwater on several dives by others.
Will the Daytona always be popular?
Old 20 July 2024, 04:13 AM   #83
Wingman244
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The fact you said that you like the inflammatory comments, says all I need to know about you.
Old 20 July 2024, 04:29 AM   #84
Mystro

Quote:
Originally Posted by archershot23 View Post
Very likely as it seems to only be accelerating its legendary status in the general public outside the watch world. Then the record auction prices (ie..Paul Neumann) catapult it to mythical status. The 4130 is also the best modern movement Rolex has produced which backs up its beautiful design under its hood. In short, the Rolex Daytona has now become more than the sum of its parts on many levels. It’s a rockstar and like a rockstar makes it a big target for the haters which only then makes it even more popular.
You can call it “hype” or “popularity” as they are one and the same at this level.
Old 20 July 2024, 07:29 AM   #85
Wingman244
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
The 4130 is also the best modern movement Rolex has produced which backs up its beautiful design under its hood.
Is it better than the SkyDweller's 9002? The 4130/31 is almost 25 years old. Seems long overdue for an update.
Old 20 July 2024, 07:38 AM   #86
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Any Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by archershot23 View Post
In one word - Hell Yeah …
Paul Newman

Being Serious = Onto the list you go
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 07:44 AM   #87
GMT Aviator

I can see the appeal, I really can, but in general Chrono's aren’t for me. Too cluttered for my tastes.
Having said that I do own some rare and not so rare Speedies. One was a gift and the others I bought myself.
The Speedy, I feel, has a classic timeless design which the modern Daytona has lost. Thats not to say a modern Daytona isn’t a nice watch, I just think the Speedmaster does the chrono better.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 08:35 AM   #88
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
We have three in the collection that I leave sized for the Mrs.
The 126 has addressed a few concerns mentioned here.. Enough to peak my interest in adding an LN and leaving it sized for myself.
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 08:35 AM   #89
Mystro

Quote:
Is it better than the SkyDweller's 9002? The 4130/31 is almost 25 years old. Seems long overdue for an update.
The skydweller is a more complicated movement but the 4130 checked every design box decades before they had with todays standards with proven reliability. At this point in time the 4130 owns the best title because it doesn’t need an update. That said, check back in 30 years and see where the skydweller has tracked over the years. It’s a sliding scale.

Old 20 July 2024, 12:46 PM   #90
archershot23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2loaded View Post
We have three in the collection that I leave sized for the Mrs.
The 126 has addressed a few concerns mentioned here.. Enough to peak my interest in adding an LN and leaving it sized for myself.
How do you feel about the new 4131 movement in the 12 series daytonas? Which dial color do you prefer in that series?