The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 August 2024, 11:53 AM   #61
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
I get his point, though not his opinions… I was in Fayetteville years ago and was surprised to see a Rolex AD in a fairly mediocre mall. I thought as others here have, I guess they are doing well enough to be here… That was it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2024, 11:54 AM   #62
Son Goku
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by espanol View Post
this thread is everything that is wrong with rolex fans of today.
100%
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2024, 01:13 PM   #63
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Working class? Tudor? Ew
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2024, 01:18 PM   #64
Joearch
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
It's protecting the brand from being associated with poor people

Very odd position. Am I supposed to like my Tudor less because they are sold in non upscale locations?? Makes no difference to me who might own one or where it was purchased.still the same watch. I didn’t purchase my first Tudor because they paid David Beckam to put one on in a photo shoot.
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2024, 01:55 PM   #65
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

That store must be doing the numbers they expect or they would have shut it down. Tudors are relatively inexpensive compared to the larger brands so having a shop in a smaller town makes sense.

shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2024, 02:53 PM   #66
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Tbh I thought the original post was a joke. What I found interesting from the post was the op lived in Hong Kong a place that you can have a really rundown shop in an area that isn’t in the best area selling some absolutely fantastic watches and that includes Rolex and other high end references. Maybe it doesn’t count if they are pre owned
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2024, 04:49 PM   #67
alllexandru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Master View Post

Anyone agree with me on this?
Internet these days sucks

alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2024, 07:44 PM   #68
geoach
"TRF" Member

Watch: one I'm wearing
City of Detroit has never had a Rolex/Tudor store. Why?I grew up there love the place. Plenty in the subs though.
geoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2024, 07:55 PM   #69
thegrandseirolexguy
"TRF" Member

Don’t wish to dismiss the OP’s opinion completely. He does raise some valid points.

Maybe because the Tudor boutique owner wants to position itself as an aspirational brand? A gateway drug of sorts so that they eventually go on to become long term customers of Rolex?

I assume Tudor also exercises a large degree of control over where their boutiques may be located.

If Tudor is playing the long game, then locating a boutique in a less affluent neighbourhood makes sense.

There’s also a Tudor boutique in a largely blue collar neighbourhood mall where I am based.

We can all speculate what the reasons are but I do believe branding isn’t the only factor taken into consideration when deciding a store location.

A company like Tudor / Rolex that has huge fixed overheads, it has to build a constant & steady pipeline of new customers. Especially when the product in question isn’t a necessity.

Their technology isn’t superior, so their brand sure as hell better be.

thegrandseirolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2024, 07:57 PM   #70
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova1 View Post
This thread is everything I love about this forum. I don’t see why the original poster deserved to be banned. Just because he openly gave an opinion shared honestly by a sizeable portion of Rolex wearing people in this world? It opened discourse and discussion. We have enough blnr vs blro topics.
I would go as far as to say this thread is no worse than the constant “going to NYC, safe to wear my Rolex?” threads.
The romanticism of Rolex as a working class brand helps people feel better about themselves. It’s been a symbol of affluence and sophistication for over 50 years. Ever seen the Concorde ads?
The many types of threads you cited do all coexist. I’m certainly not comparing them to one another, but certainly agree many are not great. But this thread is truly out of touch, to me at least. Pure conjecture but based on threads like this, it seems like new (and many old) Rolex ‘enthusiasts’ are little more than concerned about money. How Rolex became a vehicle for these people to try to speculate is beyond me. Just wear the watch and enjoy, don’t worry about whether Tudor is perceived as a “poor people’s brand,” which is what OP implied. Utter nonsense.
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2024, 08:46 PM   #71
sinkholeninja
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ocean 2000
Tudor’s taking the “poor man’s Rolex” line literally
Old 5 August 2024, 09:07 PM   #72
enicar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova1 View Post
This thread is everything I love about this forum. I don’t see why the original poster deserved to be banned. Just because he openly gave an opinion shared honestly by a sizeable portion of Rolex wearing people in this world? It opened discourse and discussion. We have enough blnr vs blro topics.
I would go as far as to say this thread is no worse than the constant “going to NYC, safe to wear my Rolex?” threads.
The romanticism of Rolex as a working class brand helps people feel better about themselves. It’s been a symbol of affluence and sophistication for over 50 years. Ever seen the Concorde ads?
Banning the OP for this thread is preposterous...ban on thinking?
enicar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2024, 09:23 PM   #73
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Interesting post and responses. I would assume that whatever the store is that there is a reason to be in a location for retail. That reason would have to do with selling watches, in this case and the market would determine if the store did that or not.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2024, 09:29 PM   #74
ciceroyeah
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinnakeet View Post
Yes, Rolex and Cartier just pulled out of a lower and mall in Orlando. With that the store closed down.

The Tudor boutiques that I am familiar with are in Yorkdale Mall in Toronto and Mall at Millenia in Orlando. Both high end malls. Especially Yorkdale.
I've been to the Tudor "boutique" in Yorkdale. It's basically a closet/afterthought and they don't even get the newest models in stock. You're better off going to one of the many Toronto ADs that carry Tudor.

Perhaps if the purpose of Tudor is to be the working man's Rolex, i.e. what Rolex was before it went up-market, then it makes sense to put your stores where your target demographic might actually encounter them.
ciceroyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2024, 09:58 PM   #75
metallic
"TRF" Member

There’s an adage if you find yourself in a rough neighborhood in a city you don’t know, just type in Apple Store or Barnes and Noble into your GPS to easily navigate your way out.
metallic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2024, 10:10 PM   #76
samson66

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by enicar View Post
Banning the OP for this thread is preposterous...ban on thinking?
Tend to agree. What did the OP do to get banned? Stating an unpopular opinion that many share?

Sent from my SM-X710 using Tapatalk
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2024, 11:07 PM   #77
Yobber76

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
I read only the first and second post. It's all I could stomach.
Is this a farce or a real question?

How self absorbed does one have to be for thoughts like this to actually ooze around one's brain?
Yobber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2024, 11:33 PM   #78
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Banning OP over what he posted does not make sense, considering points 2 and 12 of the TRF rules.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2024, 11:34 PM   #79
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceroyeah View Post
I've been to the Tudor "boutique" in Yorkdale. It's basically a closet/afterthought and they don't even get the newest models in stock. You're better off going to one of the many Toronto ADs that carry Tudor.

Perhaps if the purpose of Tudor is to be the working man's Rolex, i.e. what Rolex was before it went up-market, then it makes sense to put your stores where your target demographic might actually encounter them.
The owners tend to focus more on Rolex next door
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2024, 12:26 AM   #80
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
you will be surprise of the buying power of people living in public housing.
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2024, 12:35 AM   #81
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Chewey, is that you?
Old 6 August 2024, 02:01 AM   #82
rohada
"TRF" Member

I, too, can't figure out why the OP got banned. On another thread one poster called another poster a type of primate and that guy on the receiving end of the primate comment had his posts deleted from the thread with, seemingly, no action taken against the one making the primate comment. At least it appears that way. I'm not in charge of who stays and who goes (and I don't really care), but, to me, the primate thing has way more legs for action than banning this OP for merely an opinion which some have agreed with to varying degrees. I don't envy the mods, that's for sure.
Old 6 August 2024, 02:02 AM   #83
rohada
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
Chewey, is that you?
No, I think he's on the one about Rolex cufflinks coming to America.
Old 6 August 2024, 02:15 AM   #84
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohada View Post
No, I think he's on the one about Rolex cufflinks coming to America.
And that post is and has some comments that are as bonkers as this Tudor one. I think that guy is out of reach on his yacht or driving his $10 million dollars worth of cars
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2024, 02:21 AM   #85
Krash

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996marty View Post
And that post is and has some comments that are as bonkers as this Tudor one. I think that guy is out of reach on his yacht or driving his $10 million dollars worth of cars

I never opened up that thread but now I’m going to have to out of curiosity.

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2024, 02:27 AM   #86
omar10213245

Watch: 126515LN (sundust)
wha??! working-class establishments, you say??! now see here! effective immediately, i shall be auctioning off all of my Tudor timepieces, as i refuse to own a brand that would stoop to such a level as to be associated with the unwashed masses, it's an outrage i tell you! an outrage! as for my pet turkey Mrs. Gobbles and myself, we shall be taking our leave from tudor timepiece ownership, post haste!! harumph!!!

omar10213245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2024, 02:29 AM   #87
Guppydriver

Watch: 126710BLNR
This thread is crazy irony. I seriously just noticed the customized Tudor, Rolex and Omega banners at my local, partially abandoned mall.

"Dare to Dream..........of owning your own house"

"A Crown for Every Achievement ........... like paying your electric bill on time"

"Exact Time for Life...........................so you never miss the bus again"
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2024, 02:32 AM   #88
Deepsea Florida
"TRF" Member

ROLEX S.A. NEWS BULLETIN:

Due to a significant sales decline, ROLEX will be opening boutiques in Super Wal-Marts
Deepsea Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2024, 02:40 AM   #89
train-time

Watch: M79360B-0002
Absolutely should be in lower class malls, they are still using aluminum bezel inserts in their Black Bay models, and why did he get banned for posting an observation. Tuff audience!
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2024, 02:41 AM   #90
Scholar
"TRF" Member

OP is from Hong Kong where (perhaps less so now given the shortages), service workers often wear Rolexes, so that makes his comments that much more baffling.

Also I've met Peace Corps, US military, etc guys who picked up Rolexes while passing through Hong Kong in the 70s–as another guy put it above, arguably it was these working class customers who made Rolex such a widely known make.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote