The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 4 June 2014, 05:40 AM   #91
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by datejust24 View Post
he got back 5k that was a typo....
it actually looks like the guy took $500 back, to cover some of the cost of replacing the bracelet.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 4 June 2014, 05:50 AM   #92
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
Sorry your experience turned out to be expensive and disappointing to say the least. But by sharing your story here others can and will learn from your mistake. Your experience teaches us all not to be impulsive when buying an expensive item and if you do not know, ask questions first(do your homework)and have the item checked out by a knowledgeable expert before purchasing.....

At least you have a good attitude and perspective and you are not so alienated as to be turned off from acquiring other watches and Rolex watches to be specific or other expensive items. And again, Thanx for sharing your story here as it's a good reminder to the rest of us to do our "Due Diligence" before laying our money down.....

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Old 4 June 2014, 06:04 AM   #93
aa82
"TRF" Member

I took 500$ because it was after three days of negotiating with a bunch of scum bags and psychos. And I would rather buy my piece of mind. And I wasn't going to give him the satisfaction of feeling he screwed me into selling for 5. I will probably invest into a new bracelet soon and resell the current one to cover costs.
Canadian law is messed up. I had bad experiences in the past and don't want to deal with that stress. My biggest concern was the movement. But through everyone's help it makes sense now. Datejust gold 3135 to day date 3155 as the bridge is quite easy as I understand.
Believe me I didn't want to settle for that little but end of the day karma will get him back. A watch won't make or break me.
Also I do have two datejusts and several other high end watch brands etc.... So it's not like I was looking for any rolex. Always had a thing for the iced out rolex "super president" and I knew dial was aftermarket and bezel diamonds are custom installed. The watch is just for special occasions. I know it's a matter of taste. Does look much nicer in person then pics. I'm just happy I'm over it and let karma deal with the piece of shit.
Old 4 June 2014, 06:09 AM   #94
aa82
"TRF" Member

Also I figured watch has about 40g 18k and bracelet around 60g. So I calculated about 2500 for gold and 2500 for movement (thanks mike) plus diamonds..... So managed to convince myself it's smarter to keep it.
http://www.aandewatches.com/rolex-su...-sapphire.html
Also this was closest watch to it and price is encouraging
Old 4 June 2014, 06:20 AM   #95
Im Lauf der Zeit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa82 View Post
Also I figured watch has about 40g 18k and bracelet around 60g. So I calculated about 2500 for gold and 2500 for movement (thanks mike) plus diamonds..... So managed to convince myself it's smarter to keep it.
So, at the end of the day and all the back and forth the answer to your original question "did I get screwed?" may be "No, you didn't." You like your impulse purchase, don't seem bothered by the aftermarket dial/bezel/diamonds and have rationalized the price so all is well. Next time do your research first and spare yourself some grief!
Old 4 June 2014, 06:22 AM   #96
alanc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114270 16710B
Quote:
So, you settled for $500 back; you now own the watch having paid $8500 net for it. This means it must be worth $3500 to you (the amount over the buyback offer and also what folks here think it's worth) to keep it. If you're happy, that's all that counts.
Old 4 June 2014, 06:30 AM   #97
datejust24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexssss
whoa...my bad...i read that wrong obviously...sheweee brother..i'm sorry to hear about this...thats just plan terrible.
Old 4 June 2014, 06:30 AM   #98
HogwldFLTR
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Too many to list!
Wow...that's quite a watch. Glad it's not mine. Good luck with it and all. The good news is that it looks exactly like what you bought. If you bought it for the looks, you've got them.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
Old 4 June 2014, 06:33 AM   #99
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
must say ,,, i like your style ,,, on the chin and move on ,,,, well done personally out of my pocket book range to do that , but fair play ,,,,
i hope you actually enjoy the watch.
Old 4 June 2014, 06:35 AM   #100
aa82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanc View Post
So, you settled for $500 back; you now own the watch having paid $8500 net for it. This means it must be worth $3500 to you (the amount over the buyback offer and also what folks here think it's worth) to keep it. If you're happy, that's all that counts.
Ya technically you don't lose till u sell :p

Also put in 300$ in band diamond replacement repairs when i thought it was a legit band.

I think I made the right decision. I'd be more pissed if I was in the hole 4300$ with nothing to show for it.

Lose lose situation but this way it's minimized. My mistake. Gotta pay for it.

Life goes on.... Karma is a bitch ;)
Old 4 June 2014, 06:38 AM   #101
mfnj
2024 Pledge Member

As I read this thread I can't help but say I am skeptical about the whole thing. A first time poster who registers on June 3rd posting questions about a hideous looking frankenwatch, asking if "he got screwed", refusing to name the pawn shop, totally cavalier about spending $9k and potentially seeing it go up on smoke...I think you get the picture. Someone had to say it because I am sure so many are thinking it
Old 4 June 2014, 06:39 AM   #102
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

I have no idea why people buy these watches. They are scrap gold and a movement to me. You have a converted movement, fake band, case if altered and no longer authentic, fake dial and bezel, a bad investment sorry.
Old 4 June 2014, 06:42 AM   #103
aa82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfnj View Post
As I read this thread I can't help but say I am skeptical about the whole thing. A first time poster who registers on June 3rd posting questions about a hideous looking frankenwatch, asking if "he got screwed", refusing to name the pawn shop, totally cavalier about spending $9k and potentially seeing it go up on smoke...I think you get the picture. I say complete BS!

Someone had to say it because I am sure so many are thinking it

(Just my opinion of course! I will be happy to recant and apologize if proven wrong)
I did pm the pawn shop to Chris (guy who asked) and can pm to anyone that is interested. Relax on the conspiracy theories. I found this forum cuz of this issue and registered to ask. And it's been great help
Old 4 June 2014, 06:46 AM   #104
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

should get chriss to go to the shop looking for a blingy rolex ,,,, at any price ,,, see if they ring you to buy it back ,,, then chriss could find a swatch instead ,,,,
Old 4 June 2014, 06:48 AM   #105
nickb732
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowncollection View Post
I have no idea why people buy these watches. They are scrap gold and a movement to me. You have a converted movement, fake band, case if altered and no longer authentic, fake dial and bezel, a bad investment sorry.
Spot on, David

Nick
Old 4 June 2014, 06:49 AM   #106
aa82
"TRF" Member

They're absolute scum bags. I left watch with him yesterday cuz he said he had another buyer. Buyer shows up and doesn't buy because he wanted to come another day, the guy flipped out and kicked him out of store and started throwing shit around. Wasted 4 hours of my life and all of Saturday and Sunday. Went from my best friend to biggest scammer I've ever seen.
Old 4 June 2014, 06:53 AM   #107
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

now its just gotten strange.

im out xxx
Old 4 June 2014, 06:53 AM   #108
aa82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysondiver View Post
should get chriss to go to the shop looking for a blingy rolex ,,,, at any price ,,, see if they ring you to buy it back ,,, then chriss could find a swatch instead ,,,,
Lol I don't wanna see that shop or any pawn shop again. Dirtiest people, no honor or word. Full out rob you in any way possible.
Old 4 June 2014, 06:55 AM   #109
iamthewalrus
"TRF" Member

Very sorry to hear about this experience, but I have a lot of respect for taking it on the chin and what not. There's so many knowledgeable individuals on this forum who will make your next rolex buying experience a pleasure I'm sure!
Old 4 June 2014, 07:00 AM   #110
Gosforth
Banned

I'm lost
Old 4 June 2014, 07:41 AM   #111
Girkmonster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II, 16710 Red/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosforth View Post
I'm lost
OP bought a fake, ugly watch at a pawnshop. Paid way too much for it. Then he got them to give him $500 back, and he was happy. Then he left it with the same pawn shop that had already ripped him off and lied to him and pissed him off over several more days because they thought they could resell it again (even though they no longer owned the watch) but the prospective buyer flaked out and the pawn broker threw stuff around in a tantrum.
Old 4 June 2014, 07:55 AM   #112
rolex_DateJust
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes please!
Quote:
They're absolute scum bags. I left watch with him yesterday cuz he said he had another buyer. Buyer shows up and doesn't buy because he wanted to come another day, the guy flipped out and kicked him out of store and started throwing shit around. Wasted 4 hours of my life and all of Saturday and Sunday. Went from my best friend to biggest scammer I've ever seen.
Wait... What? Lol
Old 4 June 2014, 07:57 AM   #113
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
I'm still lost.. So the pawn guy was attempting to resell it for the op.. at some point? Then threw things around when the sale turned bad? LOL you couldn't make this up.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Old 4 June 2014, 08:09 AM   #114
GradyPhilpott

Watch: Tudor BB36
What a farce.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
Old 4 June 2014, 08:11 AM   #115
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
Geez, you're out 4 grand? I hope that's Canadian dollars.

What a farce is right.

Huge lesson learned. Feel bad for you guy. We've all messed up. The pain will pass.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Old 4 June 2014, 08:14 AM   #116
Starbucksboss
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfnj View Post
As I read this thread I can't help but say I am skeptical about the whole thing. A first time poster who registers on June 3rd posting questions about a hideous looking frankenwatch, asking if "he got screwed", refusing to name the pawn shop, totally cavalier about spending $9k and potentially seeing it go up on smoke...I think you get the picture. Someone had to say it because I am sure so many are thinking it
Im just waiting for the phrase "whoa bitches" ( just finished breaking bad)

This can't be right?

Seriously I'm lost...can we take an intermission because I think this is quite good but I need someone to summarize where the heck we are cuz I lost da plot?
Old 4 June 2014, 08:20 AM   #117
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
this might now take the title "superdogs' most interesting thread".....

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 4 June 2014, 08:20 AM   #118
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
My first posts here on TRF in 2009 were about possibly buying what I now know is a horrible though genuine gold Rolex with an after-market sapphire and diamond bezel. I was completely ignorant about these watches, and over the years, I have become much more educated. Perhaps some day, you will look back on this thread and laugh at your experience (and at how grotesque that watch is.). The lesson here is to ask questions first. I encourage you to stay on TRF and read, read and read some more. Sorry about your experience.
Old 4 June 2014, 08:22 AM   #119
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girkmonster View Post
OP bought a fake, ugly watch at a pawnshop. Paid way too much for it. Then he got them to give him $500 back, and he was happy. Then he left it with the same pawn shop that had already ripped him off and lied to him and pissed him off over several more days because they thought they could resell it again (even though they no longer owned the watch) but the prospective buyer flaked out and the pawn broker threw stuff around in a tantrum.
I think this pretty much sums up where we are, but stay tuned.

Now excuse me while I go make some popcorn...
Old 4 June 2014, 08:29 AM   #120
francis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust
Wait are we saying the movement is good??

The "montres" word on the movement is much closer to the edge than the word "Rolex S.A"..It is supposed to be the same..
Closed Thread