The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 18 April 2011, 11:00 PM   #91
R.G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjeeunitx View Post
No one really cares what kind of watch you wear...

If you think anything otherwise, you got some issues...

Just my 2 cents.
I totally agree.
Old 18 April 2011, 11:24 PM   #92
Roja
"TRF" Member

Watch: and learn...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherwin View Post
advantages: self gratification knowing i bought it using my own money
disadvantages: two tone for a uni student at a student's job isnt exactly shouting "poverty", as such, ive actually been the first to be let go :(.
ive even had people in my group assignments say "nice rolex!"; and they barely know my name and student number

depends on the situation, sometimes you can be sending out the wrong message.
That's my take on it.
Old 18 April 2011, 11:30 PM   #93
rolexertion

Not sure how a mere watch could be advantageous, except that it shows the correct time, helps you be on time for appointments. I did have RSC immediately alert me that a preowned Rolex I had spent some serious money on was stolen, allowed me to go through the correct channels right away to get the money back. What other company would know, or care?

Other than that, nobody notices a watch, except my WIS friends.
Old 19 April 2011, 12:05 AM   #94
Caraptor

Watch: me save for it.
OP, I think it's a legitimate question, but I don't really have an answer for you. The real questions you are asking are very personal and must be answered for yourself by you and you alone. They cannot be answered by strangers on a watch forum.
Old 19 April 2011, 02:12 AM   #95
snog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0mghenry View Post
In my situation I would say disadvantageous. I look rather young for my age so I don't get helped in stores too much, which I don't mind. I know it's personal preference but I prefer to only be helped when I ask for it.

I find when I go out to stores I do get "helped" more when I wear my Rolex. I'd much rather shop at my own leisure than be pestered by sales reps.

Where do YOU live? not sure if I went into a Rolex AD I would want to "shop at my own leisure",if I went into an AD and was not approached within the first minute I would walk out again,window shopping I can do outside but once in the store I would hope the sales assistant sees me as wanting their attention,not to mention they have the keys to the watches which always helps.

to the OPs question,I think you are over thinking this,Rolex is a well thought of watch but is hardly a Patek Philippe grand complication,I think the days where Rolex was seen as the millionaire watch have long gone,people talk about "flashing their Rolex" not sure what that means really,someone either notices your watch or not,if by flashing your watch you mean weaving it in their face then I think the attention you would get would be them thinking you're a crazy madman then that you have loads of spare money.
Old 19 April 2011, 02:15 AM   #96
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by snog View Post
people talk about "flashing their Rolex" not sure what that means really,someone either notices your watch or not,if by flashing your watch you mean weaving it in their face then I think the attention you would get would be them thinking you're a crazy madman then that you have loads of spare money.
They probably think; "What a complete arsehole."
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Old 19 April 2011, 02:19 AM   #97
snog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
They probably think; "What a complete arsehole."
those were the words I was looking for.
Old 19 April 2011, 02:51 AM   #98
Paracentesis
Banned

Watch: Tissot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roja View Post
Taking into account all the interactions you've had, do you believe owning a Rolex has been advantageous to you as a person or has it been a hindrance?

Have your relationships (with colleagues/family/yourself/opportunities/work, etc.) benefited or suffered?
No idea. I've had my 16610 10 years now. It's been an OK 10 years, but sadly I'm unable to rerun the 10 years without a Rolex. Would my life have been better with a PP for all those years?
Old 19 April 2011, 02:56 AM   #99
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
I've been wearing a tank top ( black) since this thread was posted on the 16th of April....I
figured people would notice me & my wrist & my Rolex.....but nothing, zip, nada......
all it got me was a bad cold....and this morning my customers eyed me suspiciously.
Old 19 April 2011, 03:03 AM   #100
ecsub44
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
The only thing I notice is that AD's take me a little bit more seriously. I don't look like the kind of guy you'd EVER take seriously...but the Rolex on my wrist usually gets a little more attention when watch shopping.

Other than that...I don't think anyone really cares what's on my wrist...
Old 19 April 2011, 03:04 AM   #101
Tunacan26
Banned

Watch: Hulk, DJ, Bluesy
Neither. Just a watch. A great one, but just a watch....
Old 19 April 2011, 03:32 AM   #102
Dilemma
"TRF" Member

Ridiculous. As a matter of fact Virginia, perhaps THE most ridiculous thing I have read here.

It's a WATCH!
Old 19 April 2011, 04:54 AM   #103
Justjosh
"TRF" Member

Watch: This
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
I've been wearing a tank top ( black) since this thread was posted on the 16th of April....I
figured people would notice me & my wrist & my Rolex.....but nothing, zip, nada......
all it got me was a bad cold....and this morning my customers eyed me suspiciously.

You probably have a pretty sweet farmer's tan by now though eh?
Old 19 April 2011, 06:28 AM   #104
fusionstorm
"TRF" Member

Watch: various vintage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justjosh View Post
You probably have a pretty sweet farmer's tan by now though eh?
I hear his clients find him Dr. Robert particularly attractive when he's rocking that look.......

Gone.....never forgotten: 14000 F, 14060 V COSC, PAM 048, 16623 F, 1680 MK V 3.1M, 16800 matte 8.3M & 1655 MK IV 7.4M
Old 19 April 2011, 06:35 AM   #105
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Exactly where is this grocery store Lisa??
You know what? If you flashed that sweet little Preston at the grocery store, I'd certainly come over to see you, and hope you'd let me pet him.
Old 19 April 2011, 06:51 AM   #106
Wooddog44
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub Date, TT DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christiaan View Post
Ive seen a few advantages; i've been taken a little more seriously at a hotel, ad, car dealership etc when they notice a nice watch. Whether people wish to admit it or not, people do judge others by their look/possesions and seeing a Rolex on someones wrist MAY mean that they are more well off and might be a more "legitimate" client. IM not saying its right or wrong, its just what ive expreinced. Just my 2cents. As for me, when I see a nice watch on someone it makes me want to start up a conversation with them about watch collecting :-)
I would agree with this. In my sphere of experience, good, bad, right or wrong a Rolex seems to get noticed/commented on by;

1. Strippers
2. Car dealers
3. Jewelry store staff
4. Waiters (way more than waitresses interestingly)
5. Tailors/clothing store sales staff
6. Cops (Social interactions only, not as a customer!)
7. Other Rolex owners

Aside from 6 and 7 the motivation would seem to be that they view the wearer as a potential "good" customer.
Old 19 April 2011, 10:04 AM   #107
B. Doggy
"TRF" Member

Interesting question.
Old 19 April 2011, 10:10 AM   #108
Luxe Time
"TRF" Member

Let's all remember: A Rolex is…. a watch. Nothing more, nothing less.

Does it make you feel good when you wear it or look at it?
Old 19 April 2011, 11:00 AM   #109
Strut99GT

Honestly, I never felt safe walking down dark alleys in the middle of the night, and when I wear my Rolex, I feel even less safe.
Old 19 April 2011, 11:57 AM   #110
hng
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sports Rolex
Why? It's just a watch. I've had more disadvantage everytime I'm lurking for another Rolex: MY WIFE
Old 19 April 2011, 12:19 PM   #111
Big Joe

Watch: Rolex GMTII
I can't think of any disadvantage to ownership. I have them because I like them and they are great watches. They are an advantage in certain business settings. Most people don't know or care, but there are times when it will give an edge when dealing with other business men or women who are aware and use it as a mark of the type of person they are dealing with. It has gotten me some cool conversations with others and helps in certain business settings. It also gives an advantage when you wear it anywhere there are commissioned sales people. They figure if you can wear a 10K watch you can probably buy whatever junk they are selling.
Old 5 July 2011, 06:39 AM   #112
darkom

Sets you apart from the malcontents. You're wearing $5-20+ thousand dollars on your wrist, when most of the country lives paycheck to paycheck. People notice. Well, the people in the 'club' notice (but I suppose that varies on who you surround yourself with). And to the single guys out there, on the first date your Rolex will catch her eye while you're driving. And the first time you stay the night she will notice the Rolex on her nightstand. It's a symbol of success. You don't see too many unemployed college drop outs with Daytonas, you know?
Old 5 July 2011, 06:46 AM   #113
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
I wear my watches because I like them. Why on earth would it make a difference in my life. I don't ask others what they think about my watches or anything else I choose to buy with my money.

Having typed this I can think of something actually. When I see other people making a big thing about showing of their expensive watch or other jewellery I usually think what an idiot.

However if it does attract women which is the best model to have?
Old 5 July 2011, 07:10 AM   #114
paddy_crow

Neither. It's an object, and objects have very minimal impact on our lives.
Old 5 July 2011, 07:18 AM   #115
dooder202
Banned

Watch: DateJust
Disadvantage, definitely. I took a lot of heat from my fiancée, parents, friends, etc. I'd get the "You bought a ROLEX!!??" or "How MUCH was THAT!!??". I'd hit them back with "I like what I like", or, "I like high end watches, what do you want me to tell you"....

I don't understand why people care so much, but I honestly do get frowned upon for buying them. I also look for something 'stupid' that they spend money on that I can use as a comeback.

Anyone else have this issue?
Old 5 July 2011, 07:20 AM   #116
dooder202
Banned

Watch: DateJust
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkom View Post
Sets you apart from the malcontents. You're wearing $5-20+ thousand dollars on your wrist, when most of the country lives paycheck to paycheck. People notice. Well, the people in the 'club' notice (but I suppose that varies on who you surround yourself with). And to the single guys out there, on the first date your Rolex will catch her eye while you're driving. And the first time you stay the night she will notice the Rolex on her nightstand. It's a symbol of success. You don't see too many unemployed college drop outs with Daytonas, you know?

DAMN RIGHT, WELL SAID MY MAN..
Old 5 July 2011, 07:30 AM   #117
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooddog44 View Post
I would agree with this. In my sphere of experience, good, bad, right or wrong a Rolex seems to get noticed/commented on by;

1. Strippers
2. Car dealers
3. Jewelry store staff
7. Other Rolex owners

Aside from 6 and 7 the motivation would seem to be that they view the wearer as a potential "good" customer.
Strippers at the top of your list

Not something I've done since having the rolex but I'm willing to give it a go, but just in name of science I'll have you know, so can report back the findings to you guys.
Old 5 July 2011, 07:38 AM   #118
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkom View Post
And the first time you stay the night she will notice the Rolex on her nightstand. It's a symbol of success. You don't see too many unemployed college drop outs with Daytonas, you know?
I'd recommend sleeping with one eye open, depending on how well you know the lass.
Old 5 July 2011, 07:40 AM   #119
paddy_crow

Quote:
1. Strippers
2. Car dealers
3. Jewelry store staff
7. Other Rolex owners
I think I'd add hookers and muggers to the list.
Old 5 July 2011, 08:09 AM   #120
Clay
Banned

Is this a joke???
Closed Thread