The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 July 2024, 01:12 AM   #91
RolexRog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Funny thing.
Both of my Superlative Rolex watches run the worst out of any that came before them except my 5513 which was my gateway Rolex from way back in the day.
My current watches are still within the Superlative tolerance, but the others that were COSC were much much better.
But i'm still very happy with them.
Out of all my Rolex watches, the one that keeps the best time (besides the Oysterquartz, of course) is a 1966 Oyster perpetual. The rest run a little fast or a little slow.
RolexRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 01:30 AM   #92
~Ocho1~
"TRF" Member

I'm late to the game here, & I'm sure as hell not reading all previous post, so I apologize if it's been said, but it's like asking what's the difference in quality between a Toyota & Mercedes.
~Ocho1~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 03:35 AM   #93
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Ocho1~ View Post
I'm late to the game here, & I'm sure as hell not reading all previous post, so I apologize if it's been said, but it's like asking what's the difference in quality between a Toyota & Mercedes.
Do you mean the Grand Seiko must be like a Toyota ?
Toyota outclasses Mercedes in every quality/ reliability list available on the web and not by a little bit.
More prestige is not necessarily better.
Old 3 July 2024, 04:26 AM   #94
TheMethod
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, GS, JLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveBold View Post
Exactly.

Still a great movement but not mechanically regulated.

Mechanical vs mechanical, Rolex movements are superior.
What about the Hi-Beat 36000 movement? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXScB5mY6e0
TheMethod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 05:16 AM   #95
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexRog View Post
Out of all my Rolex watches, the one that keeps the best time (besides the Oysterquartz, of course) is a 1966 Oyster perpetual. The rest run a little fast or a little slow.

Cool story. I have a 1958 OP, that runs very well, after servicing. My son wears it. The size is great for him, at 34 mm. He likes that it’s smaller, light weight, and does not interfere with his professional Sax playing, which is his full time USAF gig.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 10:46 AM   #96
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Toyota outclasses Mercedes in every quality/ reliability list available on the web and not by a little bit.

Come on buddy. Toyota is no Mercedes. Interior design and ride comfort is not even comparable.
S’portEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 06:45 PM   #97
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S’portEye View Post
Come on buddy. Toyota is no Mercedes. Interior design and ride comfort is not even comparable.
Google the Toyota Century, they sell for around $200k and are comparable to Rolls Royce
Old 3 July 2024, 06:51 PM   #98
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMethod View Post
What about the Hi-Beat 36000 movement? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXScB5mY6e0
Yes, the 9SA5 movement is inferior to Rolex movements. That is actually a good example of how superior Rolex movements are…

The 9SA5 is relatively unreliable, has extensive documented issues with accuracy and consistency, and in terms of performance specs (often not met) is inferior in its timekeeping ability +8/-1 or +5/-3.
BraveBold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 07:50 PM   #99
thegrandseirolexguy
"TRF" Member

What is the difference in quality between a Rolex and a Seiko automatic watch?

Where Rolex is qualitatively better:

1) bracelets
2) daily accuracy
3) completeness & quality of movement finish (both decorative & functional)
4) manufacturing tolerances of bracelet end link to case
5) after sales service network
6) Quality and ease of servicing of the watch itself at an RSC
7) bezel alignment
8) daily precision

Where Grand Seiko is qualitatively better

1) case finishing
2) dial finishing
3) dial markers
4) hands
5) 9SA5 movement finish (functional & decorative) has improved over the previous generation 9S85, on the surface level anyway. I’d say it is comparable to a Rolex 32xx now (on the surface, anyway).

Having seen the 9S85 stripped down before, it’s definitely not as well as or as completely finished as a Rolex 32xx series.

No mention of the cheaper Seiko range which is competing in a completely different target market and price bracket. They’re nowhere near the qualitative standards of GS and Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thegrandseirolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 11:14 PM   #100
~Ocho1~
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
What I mean is that Seiko, just like Toyota make great watches. Anytime a non-watch person ask my advice on what budget watch to purchase I always say Seiko.

And who the hell in their right mind would pay $200k for a Toyota?!?!?
~Ocho1~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 02:04 AM   #101
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
I really don't think one can compare Rolex with Seiko. The prices being so different that no brand can realistically overcome that gap. Seiko can't build something with $100 margin to compete with one that has $5K margin; financially it doesn't work.

The more appropriate comparison would have been Rolex vs GS. In this game, I think GS is giving Rolex a run for its money.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 05:57 AM   #102
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Lots of people, probably not in the US where flash is king, look at the Century specs
Old 4 July 2024, 06:09 AM   #103
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have to agree and in many ways the Seiko Grand range was superior to any of the Rolex range.Thats why todays Swiss COSC was founded because the Grand Seiko watches were winning all the competitions. But it's almost impossible to find any detail about the last few years of the Observatory Chronometer competition held in Neuchatel from 1967 on, probably because Seiko destroyed the Swiss, and the competition was never held again. Girard-Perregaux won the competition with a specially constructed one off movement, and Seiko came second with a standard straight of production Grand Seiko and following years came first.

In 1971 observatory competitions in Neuchâtel were suspended indefinitely after a petition and then the threat of boycott by several prestigious Swiss wristwatch manufacturers, because Seiko had begun to dominate the results, winning two years in succession. It wasn't the arrival of quartz which brought mechanical accuracy competitions in Switzerland to an end, but IMHO losing a fair fight to Japan Seiko in 1972 the Swiss COSC was founded for testing Swiss made watches only.
Brilliant summary of history Peter, thanks
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 06:55 AM   #104
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What I mean is that Seiko, just like Toyota make great watches. Anytime a non-watch person ask my advice on what budget watch to purchase I always say Seiko.

Google the specs on Toyota Century
Old 4 July 2024, 08:25 AM   #105
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by East of Eden View Post
Google the Toyota Century, they sell for around $200k and are comparable to Rolls Royce
Yes, I know about it. To my knowledge it’s not available in the US. Even still, I stand by my comment.
S’portEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 07:36 PM   #106
Victor Cohen
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610 LV /16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by amphr1 View Post
Like comparing a Toyota Camry to a Porsch 911, a hot dog to prime ribs, a flip phone to an iphone.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk
It's funny the way we all perceive watchmakers and the analogy we can draw with the automotive world.

Rolex is a brand I love with great models, but what comes to mind when I think of Rolex is rather robustness, comfort, longevity, classic design, measured innovation, industrial power and mass production.

I'd compare Rolex to the Volkswagen of watchmakers rather than Porsche, which would go better with Richard Mille, for example.

Again, this is just a personal view.
Victor Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2024, 07:02 PM   #107
sgt10p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
More trashing 32xx movements. Mine runs better than my Seiko Kinetic over a month. Any variation is down to position associated with activity which balances out. Superb.
sgt10p is offline   Reply With Quote