The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 October 2018, 06:19 AM   #91
Carlito2968
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116200
Quote:
Originally Posted by R G View Post
Is a DJ41 a wall clock then?

It’s less than 41mm and not sure it falls in to that category?!

Just out of curiosity, what size do you consider too large? Not for this chap who’s thread this is, but in general?

I don't think the 41 is clock sized :-). I was merely pointing out the trend of making watches bigger and bigger.

I think you would surely enter clock territory at 47+ mm. IMO the watch then becomes quite uncomfortable due to the weight and size.

But hey people clearly seem to like them or else they would not exist. I am just not a fan. That's all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carlito2968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 06:28 AM   #92
R G
Banned

DJ41 vs. DJ36. Not sure on best size.

All this 36 vs 41 talk of late made me visit an AD again today.

I’d just like to say, that as someone who has a slender wrist and is used to wearing smaller pieces (I have a number of vintage watches), the 36mm is tiny.

Aside from my own conclusion, when discussing sizes with the AD, he said that they pretty much only sell 36mm’s to women and they literally only had one DJ41 in stock - a black dial I think, as they come in, and go straight out again.

Shortly after buying my DJ41, I panicked thinking that maybe I had made a wrong choice with the larger version, just because I do like smaller watches as well, but no, the 36 really is tiny.

I also got him to get out the new version of the 36mm, currently only in two-time (but inevitably will come out in SS). Even smaller!!

Lugs, bezel, all slimmer! Even the way the lugs taper in to a more slender case.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Rolex push the ‘new shaped’ 36mm versions towards a more feminine audience, and what was once the mens classic at 36mm, becomes the 41.

Don’t get me wrong, people will buy what they want, regardless of who a watch is marketed towards, but really, the 36 (116200) was smaller than a vintage 1978 Omega dress watch I own. (I took a couple of watches with me for comparison).

Separately, surprisingly, I was told that they could get the black GMT in within 6 months. Sorry if that’s old news and most people want the BLNR.

I also popped in to a Watchfinder store and tried on the new Daytona in black. I wasn’t keen on the new ceramic versions in the photos, but this was the first time trying it on and I now know what all the hype is about - a truly stunning watch, near perfect.

It must be just a WiS thing, as not one AD I’ve spoken to over the past month or so knows that some of the actual case sizes differ from the marketing specs. One dealer in Windsor told me of how many years he’s been selling Rolex blah blah and that if Rolex say something is 40, or 41, then that’s the the actual physical size is.
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 06:35 AM   #93
R G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito2968 View Post
I don't think the 41 is clock sized :-). I was merely pointing out the trend of making watches bigger and bigger.

I think you would surely enter clock territory at 47+ mm. IMO the watch then becomes quite uncomfortable due to the weight and size.

But hey people clearly seem to like them or else they would not exist. I am just not a fan. That's all.

Ah. I see.

Because you made ref to wall clocks on wrist sizes on a discussion about 36 vs 41 it sounded like you were suggesting 41 (or whatever size the DJ41 actually is) was a wall clock.

Yes, I agree that 47+ is an oversized fad, generally, but then again Rolex don’t make anything anywhere near that size.

Cheers
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 07:01 AM   #94
Skyrider01
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
I think we’re all used to wrist shots enough at this point to take the distortion of a close up shot into account.
For those of us with hundreds or even thousands of post, yes.
But the OP who only has about a dozen posts, and others who are new to the forum, might not be used to it.
Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 11:10 AM   #95
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider01 View Post
For those of us with hundreds or even thousands of post, yes.
But the OP who only has about a dozen posts, and others who are new to the forum, might not be used to it.
Good point.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 11:11 AM   #96
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R G View Post
All this 36 vs 41 talk of late made me visit an AD again today.

I’d just like to say, that as someone who has a slender wrist and is used to wearing smaller pieces (I have a number of vintage watches), the 36mm is tiny.

Aside from my own conclusion, when discussing sizes with the AD, he said that they pretty much only sell 36mm’s to women and they literally only had one DJ41 in stock - a black dial I think, as they come in, and go straight out again.

Shortly after buying my DJ41, I panicked thinking that maybe I had made a wrong choice with the larger version, just because I do like smaller watches as well, but no, the 36 really is tiny.

I also got him to get out the new version of the 36mm, currently only in two-time (but inevitably will come out in SS). Even smaller!!

Lugs, bezel, all slimmer! Even the way the lugs taper in to a more slender case.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Rolex push the ‘new shaped’ 36mm versions towards a more feminine audience, and what was once the mens classic at 36mm, becomes the 41.

Don’t get me wrong, people will buy what they want, regardless of who a watch is marketed towards, but really, the 36 (116200) was smaller than a vintage 1978 Omega dress watch I own. (I took a couple of watches with me for comparison).

Separately, surprisingly, I was told that they could get the black GMT in within 6 months. Sorry if that’s old news and most people want the BLNR.

I also popped in to a Watchfinder store and tried on the new Daytona in black. I wasn’t keen on the new ceramic versions in the photos, but this was the first time trying it on and I now know what all the hype is about - a truly stunning watch, near perfect.

It must be just a WiS thing, as not one AD I’ve spoken to over the past month or so knows that some of the actual case sizes differ from the marketing specs. One dealer in Windsor told me of how many years he’s been selling Rolex blah blah and that if Rolex say something is 40, or 41, then that’s the the actual physical size is.

Yeah, it's almost pointless to try on a 36mm at the AD and come away with an opinion. Whenever I change from 36mm to 39mm and back, it always looks weird for a while, going in either direction.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 12:15 PM   #97
mosanman
"TRF" Member

36!
I had the same dilemma but with the fluted bezel versions and ultimately went for the 116234.
I find the proportions are better on the 36.The wider bezel and the larger markers on the 41 look somewhat odd to me when comparing it to the more classical lines of the 36.
mosanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 12:38 PM   #98
arguetaoscar
"TRF" Member

arguetaoscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 02:33 AM   #99
Skyrider01
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
Good point.