The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 February 2022, 01:21 PM   #91
KathleenL
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 279171-0001
I've already posted that when we picked up my Rolex we brought a bottle of wine. If I'd gotten the watch from the first AD I dealt with, there would not have been a gift for him. His stance was that the watch would have to be paid for in full in advance (cashier's check, debit card, or cash - very rarely would accept a credit card), and it would take three to six months to get the watch. Also, he said that there was no way in hell that I could get the watch with the Sundust dial because that dial had been discontinued.

So, I then went to a different AD. No deposit was required, he got the exact watch I wanted - with the Sundust dial - said a credit card was fine, and we picked up the watch exactly one month to the day after our first contact. All this and I had zero prior contact with him or his store, so no purchase history of any kind. The watch was my husband's gift to me for our 40th anniversary and we picked it up during our anniversary week. So, we felt the AD had gone above and beyond an "ordinary purchase" and he deserved a gift.

Your mileage may vary.
KathleenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2022, 01:29 PM   #92
xjeeunitx
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenL View Post
I've already posted that when we picked up my Rolex we brought a bottle of wine. If I'd gotten the watch from the first AD I dealt with, there would not have been a gift for him. His stance was that the watch would have to be paid for in full in advance (cashier's check, debit card, or cash - very rarely would accept a credit card), and it would take three to six months to get the watch. Also, he said that there was no way in hell that I could get the watch with the Sundust dial because that dial had been discontinued.

So, I then went to a different AD. No deposit was required, he got the exact watch I wanted - with the Sundust dial - said a credit card was fine, and we picked up the watch exactly one month to the day after our first contact. All this and I had zero prior contact with him or his store, so no purchase history of any kind. The watch was my husband's gift to me for our 40th anniversary and we picked it up during our anniversary week. So, we felt the AD had gone above and beyond an "ordinary purchase" and he deserved a gift.

Your mileage may vary.
Old 23 February 2022, 01:35 PM   #93
Coronette
"TRF" Member

<<<<< When I purchased the Root Beer I brought the AD a huge container of root beer flavor hard candies.
Coronette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2022, 01:50 PM   #94
HappyDad
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coronette View Post
<<<<< When I purchased the Root Beer I brought the AD a huge container of root beer flavor hard candies.
This is actually a brilliant idea!
HappyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2022, 01:57 PM   #95
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

I am saddened by this thread. It’s kind to treat nice people well if you want to. It’s not about favors it’s about appreciating other people. My AD is awesome and I like to give the, a referral whenever possible but I wish there were easy gifts they could all share that aren’t donuts or bagels. They are a fit crew and I’d feel they’d probably toss them. Cheer up folks.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2022, 02:08 PM   #96
dannyp
Banned

Something thoughtful and personal is nice. Wouldn't do a Starbucks card, but if you know she likes coffee, for instance, a bag of your favorite, or mug with something clever on it.

Or give a referral or two?
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2022, 02:17 PM   #97
dawalsh
"TRF" Member

I own a restaurant. I gave SAs gift cards to my restaurant at Christmas. As a matter of fact I give out a lot of restaurant gift cards to many people. My mailman, regular FedEx guy, workers at Taco place by my house, regular cashier at Five guys I frequent … When I was a Sushi Chef I got bottles of whiskey from my customers on my BD and Christmas all the time so I’ve never thought it was anything bad.
dawalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2022, 05:28 PM   #98
lava flow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by donas View Post
Says the guy who's been on TRF a few months. I've been reading this forum for 14 years and PADI even longer. Yes, this was once a hobby and Rolexes purchased and owned for vastly different reasons than now. PADI is not trying to change the way things are, but reflecting on how they were. Just because you never saw or enjoyed it, watch collecting used to be quite different.
this old chestnut from the 'old guard'- pathetic

how long being on a forum means absolutely zero

i have owned Rolex watches for over twenty years so that stuffs your argument, lol

times and things change - there is as they say no point in crying over spilt milk?
lava flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2022, 05:36 PM   #99
lava flow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Rolex are just jewellery well to you perhaps, and all this investment ££$$ stuff have ruined this hobby. And can assure there are still many who buy Rolex watches to wear and enjoy, and with many Rolex owners today its not all about ££$$$ like what yourself thinks its about.
as i said to your friend i have had Rolex watches for over twenty years when you could walk into an AD and buy pretty much anything off the shelf and often with a discount - so i am most certainly not an investor as you put it

but again as i said to your friend times and situations change and only a fool would ignore the investment potential

and when i bought my first it was as jewellery and today my collection is still jewellery

i also collect original art - mainly Black Labradors and wildlife

i buy what i like, but i do keep a very careful eye on investment potential - eg how old is the artist because when they die their work will probably appreciate in value - welcome to the real world

talking of depreciating assets - well i have some experience of the classic three

if it flies/floats or f***s - rent it, lol
lava flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2022, 07:24 PM   #100
Paka
Banned

Watch: IWC Big Pilot 5002
Once I went to my AD and asked for a SS sports model for a REAL MAN (myself). The AD (love him) showed me this BEAUTIFUL two tone 28 mm Datejust. I was over the moon. I bought it instantly and immediately gave my Tesla to my AD as a gift.

I love my AD.
Paka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2022, 08:58 PM   #101
just1time
"TRF" Member

My AD put me on the WLWL for a DJ41...Am planning on giving my AD my first born as a small token of appreciation. I love my AD
just1time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2022, 03:38 AM   #102
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
Quote:
Originally Posted by lava flow View Post
this old chestnut from the 'old guard'- pathetic

how long being on a forum means absolutely zero

i have owned Rolex watches for over twenty years so that stuffs your argument, lol

times and things change - there is as they say no point in crying over spilt milk?
I'm sorry, you must have misread my original comment. I was not trying to make an argument, I was merely stating facts. To say, "the milk has spilt" is not crying over it, but merely saying it is so. I'll try again, watch collecting and those who do it have changed over the last 20 years, as has the member quality of TRF. That's it, no "Old Guard", no crying of milk etc. Just the facts. That is all Padi was saying as well.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2022, 03:44 AM   #103
MalibuDriver
Banned

After getting Kermit (Cermit) a couple weeks ago I sent a thank you card to my AD and included a gift card to a lunch place near the dealer and said lunch was on me.

The dealer thanked me the next time I saw him. He and I speak openly and I asked him if he regularly gets stuff from people and he said it does happen. He said when he feels it's genuine he really appreciates the gesture, but when he can tell that it's a bribe for future watches it hurts more than helps.
MalibuDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2022, 04:32 AM   #104
SS Oyster
2024 Pledge Member

Maybe a Starbucks gift card maybe twice a year. Just a thanks and friendly gesture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2022, 04:39 AM   #105
bangkoktokyoseoul
"TRF" Member

I assume the OG poster comes from the US. I wouldn't dream of doing this in Europe.
bangkoktokyoseoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2022, 05:40 AM   #106
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
I don’t, but you and I both know the level of interaction is different between the two.

If you think they are honestly the same, I don’t know what to tell you.

And I say this as someone who hasn’t actually bought an SA a gift.

On a different note, it is interesting who we decide to tip. It’s weird that it’s customary to tip the person at Starbucks, but not at McDonald’s.

I agree with this. Some of the arguments on this thread are epic

To equate a decision to show appreciation for the AD SA to one for a random grocery store check-out staff is false equivalence.

The same goes for comparing a small gift to a bribe; it's false equivalence.

It's like saying a horse and a dog are the same animals because they both have four legs.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 02:49 AM   #107
AdamW
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
I sent a thank you card a few days later with a $50 gift certificate for a pizza/wings place in the mall where the store is. Just said to have lunch on me.

Nothing much but I wanted him to know I was appreciative without making him feel uncomfortable with a larger gift or to be inappropriate in the eyes of his manager.

" I don't have a microwave oven but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks $h!t" - Mitch Hedburgh
AdamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 04:21 AM   #108
brkn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry100 View Post
sad
this. sad indeed.
brkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 04:26 AM   #109
OYptL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Invicta
My AD’s gifted me swag. Rolex sends this swag to AR’s for a reason.
OYptL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 04:29 AM   #110
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Do what you feel is right. Stick with your decision. No need to ask strangers what you should and shouldn’t do
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 04:33 AM   #111
JohnnyW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coronette View Post
When I picked up my Sub last month I left a Meatball Marinara on my SA's desk. How he laughed!
JohnnyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 04:56 AM   #112
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Many confuse gifts with currying favor. I can see why declining “gifts” is becoming policy.

It’s a shame for those who want to show gratitude. I’ve sent a card in the past as a thank you, along with sending them potential clients.

AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 06:04 AM   #113
Bill2e
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starhutch View Post
That’s a rare bottle to find anymore..sad

Yes it is and it blows my mind how much a used have and how easy it was to get.

I have 3 left and I am taking my time with those.
Bill2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 06:09 AM   #114
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR Jubilee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
Yes it is and it blows my mind how much a used have and how easy it was to get.

I have 3 left and I am taking my time with those.
I only have one Blanton’s and one Eagle Rare left, won’t open either until I get a replacement!
Old 27 February 2022, 06:14 AM   #115
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDad View Post
I am wondering if it would be appropriate to give a small gift to my AD when she finally comes through with a watch I have been waiting for.

I'm not talking about an expensive gift, but rather something small, ie. a Starbucks gift card or something along these lines.

What do you think?

I bought the guy that got me my Nautilus a very nice bottle of wine, it felt appropriate.

I also buy my usual AD chocolates and wine for all the staff every year for Christmas. Ever since i first went in and bought a Baume and Mercier Riviera wearing scruffy joggers with my arm wrapped in cellophane after having a tattoo done, they have treated me exceptionally well in every visit, so I feel it’s right to treat them well.

I know lots of folk frown on such things, but I believe in being nice and building long term relationships with people, small gestures count.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 06:22 AM   #116
OYptL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Invicta
It’s trading and both parties benefit. If we’re talking Rolex you have at the very least give them 5K worth of money. A sincere thank you and I look forward to doing business in the future is plenty.
OYptL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 06:36 AM   #117
samuel019
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
Quote:
In

Well thats exactly what's wrong with the hobby today some think that Rolex watches are little more than ££$$€€ object things and nothing more to be flipped to highest bidder. Believe or not once Rolex watches were bought to wear and enjoy for many decades to come, and owners took pride in owning and wearing one of the finest mechanical watches made by man.
Quote:
Rolex are just jewellery well to you perhaps, and all this investment ££$$ stuff have ruined this hobby. And can assure there are still many who buy Rolex watches to wear and enjoy, and with many Rolex owners today its not all about ££$$$ like what yourself thinks its about.
FWIW a lot of the what Padi states is nothing but pure facts!!! This is a hobby to a lot of people including me or it used to be. Now its how long and what do I have to do to get a watch. It's now also mind games that we have to play on ourselves JUST like this post. IMO if we were all able to walk into any A D and see the cases full again would the thought of giving a gift etc even enter your mind? I used to think when I bought from an A D many many years ago "Well I just helped the S A out with their commission/sales for the month" and that was enough. Granted yes it's alway kind to give appreciation but the mindset used to be buying an expensive watch was enough. Now we have to resort to thinking that way is not enough and I gotta do something to make sure I keep getting "calls"

Obviously this is not a one size fits all statement and there are many members on TRF that have great relationships with their A D and S A. I just know that even with having long relationships and spend histories with a few A D's the thought's do enter my mind that I have to do something other than just pay. Whether right or wrong. All my A D contact's at multiple locations are super nice and would never accept a gift or a bribe even if I were crazy enough to offer one. But I cant help thinking it doesnt mean something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
I'd just skip the gift and go straight to bribes.

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk

How's that working out for you
Old 27 February 2022, 08:17 AM   #118
Rexplorer214270
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALANG1HG
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDad View Post
I am wondering if it would be appropriate to give a small gift to my AD when she finally comes through with a watch I have been waiting for.

I'm not talking about an expensive gift, but rather something small, ie. a Starbucks gift card or something along these lines.

What do you think?
Were the thousands you paid not enough?
Rexplorer214270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 08:41 AM   #119
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo99 View Post
a 100 dollars coupon would do, will make you in pole position to get your next watch sooner than others!
So, it's a bribe, not a gift?

This topic comes up here every few months, yet I never see this discussed in the Omega sections or forums, one wonders why
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 09:08 AM   #120
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
So, it's a bribe, not a gift?

This topic comes up here every few months, yet I never see this discussed in the Omega sections or forums, one wonders why
LOL, you hit the nail on the head.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote