The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 September 2024, 08:05 AM   #91
dmash
2024 Pledge Member

Yes you are. I’ll die on this hill that it’s nuts to pay $30k for these. Hype aside they’re nowhere close to worth this.
dmash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2024, 08:16 AM   #92
Rolexforthewin
"TRF" Member

Sorry, but I would never pay grey prices for any Rolex!
Rolexforthewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2024, 08:20 AM   #93
Pboned
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
I personally wouldn’t but it comes down to money. If you just have that kind of money and you’re cool with it, do it.
Pboned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2024, 09:12 AM   #94
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Sad to say but…

It’s not crazy at all when “the steel piece” at PP is $100k, then “that other steel piece” is at $70k.

Then you think about that this one has a chronograph and is at $30k. It doesn’t hurt quite as much. If you reduce the prices proportionally back down to 2019, then it’s not bad at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
That’s a tough position to be in. 30k for a steel piece that isn’t AP or PP is crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2024, 09:25 AM   #95
aboutime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Whiskey View Post
I'm getting married next month and want to mark the occasion. I'm a good customer at 2 AD's, but am fully aware I am nowhere near the spend for a Panda. I asked for a few lesser pieces in the previous months to celebrate the wedding and it doesn't look like they'll be able to deliver. Am I totally out of my mind to go gray for a 126500LN? Looks like prices are in the low $30s and just wanted to pick everyones brain on my idea. I certainly have no intention of selling the watch, but having the price tank after purchase isn't a great feeling. Wondering if anyone has any advice or regret on going gray for you grail piece?

Thanks!!
You’re only crazy if you buy something you cannot afford. Many including myself don’t see the value in the current premium over retail, but there a good number that do and are enjoying this time piece with zero regret. Good luck!
aboutime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2024, 09:49 AM   #96
spellmanski
"TRF" Member

I honestly think, that with the Daytona, the chances that someone actually gets on at retail are slow low, going grey is worth it (and probably the only option to get it). Therefore, the "market" price for that individual really is the gray price, and retail price isn't really relevant.
spellmanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:48 AM   #97
tmy727
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansRolex View Post
I've bought all my watches from grey dealers and never had any regrets it's not worth playing the AD games IMO
I agree ...
tmy727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:56 AM   #98
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Don't die.

We can see with the replica prices what it costs manufacturer 95% of that watch with less refinements of course.

We can see with the Tudor chronograph what it costs to make a chronograph with margin. We can see with the Tudor pelagos what it costs to make a titanium watch with ceramic bezel.

We already know that the daytona, if using the Tudor pricing scale, should be around $6000 with margin.

It's not just hype. When people are comparing these prices, people are usually comping brand and model value compared to something right above or right below. The daytona comps to something like a stainless Royal Oak when it comes to brand and model cachet. It doesn't comp to a Omega or Breitling chronograph.

Then, now we have too much demand, not enough supply, so ADs and brands can play all kinds of games adding to the cost of the item.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Yes you are. I’ll die on this hill that it’s nuts to pay $30k for these. Hype aside they’re nowhere close to worth this.
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote