The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 15 January 2010, 06:33 AM   #91
brkanand
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 4=YMDaytonaGMTHulk
Will some one tell me the cost of hiring a lawer to sue Fedex?
Old 15 January 2010, 06:34 AM   #92
vitix
Banned

Watch: magneeleVE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodybump View Post
Victor...I sometimes use fedex for my shipping..and pay like$45-55 max for a watch not more than 3lbs..Yesterday i shipped a watch via Fedex Overnight and this is what they charge me...$67.90!!!!!!!! HOLY MOLLY!!! HAHAHAHA and its not even insured...did you guys jack up your price???Its basically just overnight...
well Sad thing is that we are expensive... its a overnight service... but there is a economy service also, i dont know much cause in my island we dont have it... but i know its out there in the USA

also there s FedEx Ground is very cheap...

the best is when sending something as a Rolex... to declare in the Commercial invoice and Airwaybill the Complete description and the Real Price... so we can say if we can or cannot ensure it...
Old 15 January 2010, 06:44 AM   #93
MitchSteel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage Rolex
Very sorry to hear, Greg.Similar situation has happened to my buddy(theft), he was basically told to "please frig off" and "go ahead sue".He did, he won, tho it was a $400 iphone, its still the principal.Thank you for posting, the info you provided is valuable, at least to me.I never deal with FedEx, always use canadapost within country, and USPS international.I hope you get this f*&karound sorted out.
Old 15 January 2010, 06:58 AM   #94
Warnsboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
I once bought a high priced Ebel watch form a Jewler in Tennessee and had it shipped home. He taught me a lesson in shipping watches. He shipped the watch USPS in a 10"x12"x4" box insured for $2,500 and the OEM box w/accessories in a 6"x8"x4" box insured for $100. The return address' had only his name, the Jewelry Store's address and not the store's name. The insured items were labeled as mechanical hardware. When I opend the larger package the watch was bubble wrapped in a second (smaller) addressed mailing box...in case the outer box was damaged or opened. This was a couple of years ago and I don't remember the cost. At the time I thought it was overkill until reading Mosco's ordeal.
Old 15 January 2010, 07:16 AM   #95
mking0714
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pop Watch
Don't take chances and insure your packages!

I am so sorry about this situation!
I have known many cases where people believe that the world is still a good place and stealing isn't right....
but sadly, there are some bad apples out there.
I always insure my packages when a full watch is involved.
No matter the costs......normally they charge a small premium and it saved me in an incident where a watch that was no longer in production and hard to find was lost........ (stolen is the right word but let's be nice here).
I lost it and they paid me for the full amount........
I prefer to have had the watch however.....
Good Luck.
Old 15 January 2010, 08:56 AM   #96
TonyD
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Meteorite Daytona
Here's the crappy part, just to be Devil's advocate. Greg is a friend and I believe him 100%. I recently had two packages walk away that were left on my doorstep.

Here's the problem. Pretend you are UPS or Fedex. Some unknown guy ships a box of rocks and insures it for $5000. Then:

1. You deliver the box but the recipient just says he never got it.
2. You give the driver $100 to "lose" it.

Its called insurance fraud. How do you combat that? I assumed they wouldn't just write you a check, they need to do some investigation. Else we could just do this over and over again.

Believe me I wish I had the answer. Even if the guy behind the counter inspected the package, who's to say it isn't a fake?

How do we get protection while preventing criminals from defrauding Fedex?
Old 15 January 2010, 08:59 AM   #97
BealeAss
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rscmaine View Post
If the Fedex lawyer has already offered you $1,000 that is an admission of fault on their part. Hopefully you got that in writing or email.

The trick to getting your full value is to make THEIR legal fees climb up over $10-15,000 - or show them how you and your lawyer will do that.

Have your lawyer draft a letter to the $1,000 guy listing several hundred discovery documents, a list of say 45 employee depositions you will need (right down to the pilots and handlers at each hub - with all depositions to be at your lawyers office - travel costs to be incurred by Fedex)

And just for good measure ask what their corporate policy is when it comes to responding to media inquiries about litigation, as your buddy at CNN was interested.

Give 'em hell and they will be advised to settle.
I like how this man thinks. The media issue is a great comical idea.

You know I recently shipped some jewelry via fedex/kinko's store and didn't feel comfortable displaying contents of my box to the manager as he stated the opposite of this situation.....stating that more times than not people claim contents around the holidays to be worth $X,000 amount then file an insurance claim to collect...hence him having to see my potential wedding ring in the box...as I said earlier my discomfort level around the store employee's was very high.

Needless to say I will not be making the mistake of using anything outside of USPS for the jewelry goods.
Cartier Santos SS/18K - FS!
Old 15 January 2010, 09:03 AM   #98
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Greg--That stinks! What a shame--I am with you---no more Fed-Ex--USPS for sure. Sorry buddy--Ken
Old 15 January 2010, 09:41 AM   #99
timmovitz
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear that...I hope that you will get some sort help for this. Good luck and thanks for posting! And I love that you still keep a sense of humour in this dire times...
Old 15 January 2010, 09:42 AM   #100
timmovitz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandrup View Post
Victor, nice gesture!!! I like your attitude!

Hey

are you by chance of danish heritage?

tim
Old 15 January 2010, 09:46 AM   #101
Bon Temps
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
The entire thing is just sickening. I makes me insane when these Goliath companies basically say f#$k you and all the money you will have to spend to get anything out of us. I HATE THIEVES! Good luck Greg, keep us up to date on your progress.
Old 15 January 2010, 09:54 AM   #102
Sweramic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Movies
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmovitz View Post
Hey

tim
I have spoken to him and yes, he is
Old 15 January 2010, 09:56 AM   #103
tandrup
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
Hey

tim
Not only Danish heritage - I was born there and lived there until 6 years ago when I moved to San Francisco.
Georg Jensen 2347
Old 15 January 2010, 09:59 AM   #104
Redbox
"TRF" Member

Basically you are s… o.. o. l… I bought a computer for my daughter a couple of years ago from Dell and shipped by Fedex. You could follow it just so far with the tracking numbers and then it disappeared. This was during the Christmas rush. You know someone walked away with it. I have a lot of problem with Fedex and do not use them. You are better off with UPS or USPS.
Old 15 January 2010, 10:12 AM   #105
LovesRolexes123

You are likely going to be stuck with the contract with limited insurance, and will have a tough time proving that representations contrary to the contract were made to you. See if you can get them to 2000, take the money and run if you can.
Old 15 January 2010, 10:34 AM   #106
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Watch: I like to...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesRolexes123 View Post
You are likely going to be stuck with the contract with limited insurance, and will have a tough time proving that representations contrary to the contract were made to you. See if you can get them to 2000, take the money and run if you can.
They're already willing to go outside that contract by offering $1000 instead of $500.

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Old 15 January 2010, 10:37 AM   #107
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
Here's the crappy part, just to be Devil's advocate. Greg is a friend and I believe him 100%. I recently had two packages walk away that were left on my doorstep.

Here's the problem. Pretend you are UPS or Fedex. Some unknown guy ships a box of rocks and insures it for $5000. Then:

1. You deliver the box but the recipient just says he never got it.
2. You give the driver $100 to "lose" it.

Its called insurance fraud. How do you combat that? I assumed they wouldn't just write you a check, they need to do some investigation. Else we could just do this over and over again.

Believe me I wish I had the answer. Even if the guy behind the counter inspected the package, who's to say it isn't a fake?

How do we get protection while preventing criminals from defrauding Fedex?
Good points - but:
a) I have reputation as an established watch store
b) I have proof of the transaction with an electronic payment assigned to it, and an address matching the address on airbill, and
c) The potential recipient is a District Attorney in New Mexico.

Think my T's are crossed!

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Old 15 January 2010, 10:38 AM   #108
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry to hear that...I hope that you will get some sort help for this. Good luck and thanks for posting! And I love that you still keep a sense of humour in this dire times...
What other choice do I have?

Old 15 January 2010, 10:40 AM   #109
R S
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmedia View Post
good old Memphis, TN. sorting station...got stolen at the HUB!
Exactly, and it IS a crime to steal any interstate shipment of goods(ups/fedex/etc.). I've seen employees pulled and arrested MID ACT by ATF.
Hope this works out for you Greg.
Old 15 January 2010, 10:43 AM   #110
robsteve
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosco View Post

Maybe you should get the customer to give Fedex a call and ask them to take a thorough look around their sorting room floor. He may have more pull with them than you.

The watch may actually be lost and they are too lazy to look for it. If it had $5k of insurance on it, I am sure they would spend more time finding out what happened to it.

Robert
Old 15 January 2010, 10:46 AM   #111
DS_Obsessed
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660 V
Greg,

It is entirely possible that fedex lost the shipment is sitting somewhere in the back of a truck. Here's what my gut tells me - the person who took the watch from you at fed ex took the watch. Probably cut the bottom, resealed it and tore the lable enough that the package couldn't be delivered. There is no way that anyone on trasit would know what was in the package. I'd go back to that fed ex to see of the emploee is wearing it. Also, I wouldn't be above talking to the manager about the employee who did create the lable for you. I can't tell you much about the law, but as someone who ships daily, I can assure you it happened at the point of orgin or at delivery. Since you disclosed the contents to the guy at origin, chances are that's were it is.
Old 15 January 2010, 10:56 AM   #112
firstwatch
"TRF" Member

Greg good luck buddy, I'm pullin for ya
Old 15 January 2010, 10:59 AM   #113
maverick
Banned

Watch: Rolex
I am so sorry for your lose. So you were aware that it was insured for a max of $500.00?

Years ago I read where a collector lost 3 Rolex watches but it was sent on a commercial account supposedly insured. The envelope was empty and Fed-Ex employees were suspected.

That is why I ship only ONE way in the USA. Registered USPS is the safest way to ship a valuable unless you pay for a courier. If the buyer or seller cannot put up with the wait I will sell to someone else or make other arrangements.

I use Jewelers Mutual as insurance for watches and they had stated the watch is still insured while IN TRANSIT.

Good luck=)
Maverick
Old 15 January 2010, 11:00 AM   #114
lolo96706
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss GV - V
Good luck. Hopefully all will turn out well.
Old 15 January 2010, 11:16 AM   #115
WJGESQ
Banned

Don't spend time paying for repeated demand letters. Send one demand letter for the value of the watch. When you get no substantive response, simply file your complaint and get it served. Send out a Request for Admissions along with your complaint and perhaps, interrogatories as well. That way, by the time they are served, the ball will really be rolling. Obviously, you have breach of contract issue here, but your state may have other consumer statutes that you can utilize.
Old 15 January 2010, 11:20 AM   #116
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

My friend Mosco,
The fast way to get them to move is bad publicity. There is a guy that got the go around with United. The baggage handlers were out on the tarmac throwing his band's instruments. They busted his guitar and were every indifferent. Basically tuff turds. He went up the chain and they told him tuff.
He told them he was going to make three music videos on how United breaks guitars. He made the first one and it was out one day and had millions of hits,,, United called him.. Maybe you can do something similar to FedCrooks
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo
Old 15 January 2010, 11:40 AM   #117
zlin08033
"TRF" Member

USPS is bad too!

Greg: I feel your pain, because I had similar experience about a year ago, the difference is I was the buyer, and the carrier is USPS. I bought a ss daytona from a very good seller in Atlanta, I never received the watch. I checked the tracking number from USPS website, it was delivered. I tracked down the mail delivery man and asked him where was my package, he said he didn't have it, I went to post office, and got the copy of delivery signature, it is mail delivery man's signature. I and postmaster asked him what happened, he said he did signed, but forgot where he delivered - can anyone believe this. Fishy thing was he had planned to retire in 2 months. Long story short, USPS refused to pay the amount insured, since we can't prove the value of the package - it was a cash transaction, I deposited cash to seller's bank account, there is no receipt or credit card statement...
Old 15 January 2010, 11:45 AM   #118
hng
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sports Rolex
Best of luck Greg and hope it will turn out favorably for you. Cheers!
Old 15 January 2010, 12:01 PM   #119
TonyD
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Meteorite Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosco View Post
Good points - but:
a) I have reputation as an established watch store
b) I have proof of the transaction with an electronic payment assigned to it, and an address matching the address on airbill, and

Sounds like it. The proper thing to do is to investigate such things, establish the facts and then pay the claim. That's how insurance works.

Best of luck buddy!
Old 15 January 2010, 12:11 PM   #120
maverick
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlin08033 View Post
Greg: I feel your pain, because I had similar experience about a year ago, the difference is I was the buyer, and the carrier is USPS. I bought a ss daytona from a very good seller in Atlanta, I never received the watch. I checked the tracking number from USPS website, it was delivered. I tracked down the mail delivery man and asked him where was my package, he said he didn't have it, I went to post office, and got the copy of delivery signature, it is mail delivery man's signature. I and postmaster asked him what happened, he said he did signed, but forgot where he delivered - can anyone believe this. Fishy thing was he had planned to retire in 2 months. Long story short, USPS refused to pay the amount insured, since we can't prove the value of the package - it was a cash transaction, I deposited cash to seller's bank account, there is no receipt or credit card statement...
Was that Registered? USPS=)
Maverick
Closed Thread