The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Closed Thread

Old 11 April 2014, 12:03 PM   #91
applebook
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presa canary View Post
I just read the ops initial post again. The seller offered to buy back the watch at a lower cost?! If that's true, I don't have much " trust" in this " trusted seller"
He still offered higher than the buying rate for this model. With the cost of servicing, replacing the crystal, etc., Tempo could be taking a loss to resell it. I do wonder how the watch would be shipped into the States though????

For some of you jumping all over the OP, others have vouched for him. Unless you believe that he's lying, what is your justification for refusing to replace the aftermarket parts? It doesn't matter that the seller didn't know the parts weren't original. The point of buying from a trusted seller is having confidence that he will make things right even 10 months down the road.

This seems to me like a case of reasonable people disagreeing. It happens, especially when emotions are involved. I personally wouldn't hesitate to deal with either party.
Old 11 April 2014, 01:19 PM   #92
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
The seller should not have stated the watch had a 2 year similar to rolex warranty if that kind of cost would not be covered.
I completely agree with you that the seller should make good on the crystal - and the battery, BTW. I just wasn't clear what costs you were referring to.
Old 11 April 2014, 01:29 PM   #93
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post
I completely agree with you that the seller should make good on the crystal - and the battery, BTW. I just wasn't clear what costs you were referring to.

p.s. let me say I have only seen the seller being praised on TRF for being a very nice guy. And when you buy vintage you should expect to spend money on service. But, and here is the problem, if the seller offers a two year warranty, he must honor.
Old 11 April 2014, 02:13 PM   #94
77T
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

I think offering a warranty can create different impressions among people.

Some apparently feel that the seller should pay the buyer's RSC costs when a service is done within the 2 years...

My general understanding of a personal warranty is that the seller means if the watch stops working, he will have it fixed by his own watchmaker...

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 11 April 2014, 03:02 PM   #95
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
My general understanding of a personal warranty is that the seller means if the watch stops working, he will have it fixed by his own watchmaker...
I agree, but if somebody tells me that they offer a personal warranty similar to the Rolex warranty, that is a different story.
Old 11 April 2014, 03:05 PM   #96
77T

Not challenging your impression, Wes, just asking what you feel it means. I've had watches serviced by my local certified Rolex watchmaker and to me that's similar - but just my opinion.

Old 11 April 2014, 03:14 PM   #97
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not challenging your impression, Wes, just asking what you feel it means. I've had watches serviced by my local certified Rolex watchmaker and to me that's similar - but just my opinion.
Spartan noted that the battery, gaskets and other (not sure what?) parts needed to be replaced. If the watch was under warranty from Rolex, what would they do? They would replace everything for free. Obviously, this is not realistic for a 30 year old watch. There are bound to be worn parts that need to be replaced. For vintage pieces, I wouldn't offer buyers a warranty that is similar to Rolexes new watch warranty. I think, if Spartan wanted, he could have asked for everything to be repaired for free. At the very least, he could have asked for the battery to be replaced, but he was nice enough not to. I still believe that Tempoking should have offered to replace the crystal (assuming that Spartan could produce proof that his crystal was counterfeit) for free. Really, it is the right thing to do.
Old 11 April 2014, 03:16 PM   #98
77T

Thanks for clarifying. I think if the buyer had simply sent the watch to the buyer for the work in the first place then a lot better outcome would have happened.

Old 11 April 2014, 03:25 PM   #99
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying. I think if the buyer had simply sent the watch to the buyer for the work in the first place then a lot better outcome would have happened.
Probably. I hope that these guys can work something out.
Old 11 April 2014, 03:27 PM   #100
77T

Yep me too. Also meant to say "if buyer sent watch to seller" but my grey cells getting tired

Old 11 April 2014, 03:53 PM   #101
TurboWatch
"TRF" Member

You all have to understand

that the $1600 RSC quote is for the new quartz module and everything else. The module itself is about $1100.00. Rolex RSC WILL replace the module even if it is still working, because it's OLD.

Last year I had my dad's 17014 in for service, it cost almost $1400.00, which was about what I could have bought him another used running 17014/13.

If you use non-RSC service, yes, the service cost will be cheaper, but you wouldn't get a brand new quartz module. So don't think you're getting a deal ...
Old 11 April 2014, 04:20 PM   #102
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
Agreed. I think issues should first be handled privately. If they cannot be privately resolved, it's ok to make the issue public. I think we should all be aware of shady sellers and buyers (in general).
Guys, I think they tried to solve this publicly and got nowhere.

Bottom line. If a TRF Trusted Seller sells me a Rolex and purports it to be genuine 100% and then I find out later that it is not while servicing it or through some other means... then I expect that it be made whole and original by the Trusted Seller.

I know what DavidSW would do in this instance. The man went above and beyond for me twice doing things I did not require. He did them anyway just to give me great service.

Such great service that I almost felt bad. I sent he and his family the best box of cakes and sweets that I could find from a famous bakery near my house because I felt bad at how great his service was. I am buying the Man dinner if I ever meet him.

The TS in this case, I have to agree should have already and needs to now replace that crystal at whatever cost to make the OP whole.

but I think they are beyond resolution at this point.
Old 11 April 2014, 04:30 PM   #103
MonBK
Banned

Is Tony short for Anatonystasios?

I think that when people can't get their facts straight or even read a thread correct they should stay out of it.
Old 11 April 2014, 04:33 PM   #104
Takemusu
"TRF" Member

To me this is pretty basic. The seller either knew the watch had non-genuine parts (as well as what that means both for repair, and market value of the product) and sold it as genuine. In this case shame on him and he deserves no trust.

Given his reported reputation here (I am new to TRF) I would guess that this is not the case. Therefore he unwittingly sold a watch with non-genuine parts. That makes the seller ethically bound to make this right, and HIS bad luck to have such a watch to sell, as either he himself was sold a bad watch, or had inferior repairs made unwittingly under his ownership. Either way he needs to eat the costs to make his watch into the watch it was sold to be, to do the right thing by his buyer. There is no grey area here. He must take the loss as the cost of doing this type of business. He must certainly not try to recoup costs or worse make money on the deal by offering other deals. That is shameful.
Old 11 April 2014, 04:38 PM   #105
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
Bottom line. If a TRF Trusted Seller sells me a Rolex and purports it to be genuine 100% and then I find out later that it is not while servicing it or through some other means... then I expect that it be made whole and original by the Trusted Seller.
I think everybody can agree on that.
Old 11 April 2014, 04:39 PM   #106
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: SEIKO TUNA
I had an even older OQ than this serviced by RSC recently (1977), and it cost the HK$ equivalent of US$380. This was for a standard overhaul, and they didn't want to replace anything (other than the chipped crystal and date wheel - long story, another thread). Yes, the Hong Kong RSC is much cheaper than most, and they still replace batteries free of charge, like all RSCs used to, but this shows it is possible to get a standard service on an OQ without replacing the whole module if it's in reasonable shape.
Old 11 April 2014, 04:47 PM   #107
Gaijin

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takemusu View Post
To me this is pretty basic. The seller either knew the watch had non-genuine parts (as well as what that means both for repair, and market value of the product) and sold it as genuine. In this case shame on him and he deserves no trust.

Given his reported reputation here (I am new to TRF) I would guess that this is not the case. Therefore he unwittingly sold a watch with non-genuine parts. That makes the seller ethically bound to make this right, and HIS bad luck to have such a watch to sell, as either he himself was sold a bad watch, or had inferior repairs made unwittingly under his ownership. Either way he needs to eat the costs to make his watch into the watch it was sold to be, to do the right thing by his buyer. There is no grey area here. He must take the loss as the cost of doing this type of business. He must certainly not try to recoup costs or worse make money on the deal by offering other deals. That is shameful.
Agreed.
Old 12 April 2014, 03:24 AM   #108
canwatchco
"TRF" Member

The OP is Tony (Spartan). The seller is Anastasios (Tempoking).
Old 12 April 2014, 03:45 AM   #109
Jocke

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Quote:
Originally Posted by canwatchco View Post
The OP is Tony (Spartan). The seller is Anastasios (Tempoking).
Who is the guy with the crystal?

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Old 12 April 2014, 04:26 AM   #110
Knappo 1307

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Is Tony short for Anatonystasios?

I think that when people can't get their facts straight or even read a thread correct they should stay out of it.
I did call the seller "Tony" not sure why?? I apologize. I knew what I was saying, just used the wrong name. I will grab my bifocals, and quietly sit on the sidelines.....
Old 12 April 2014, 05:43 AM   #111
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
troubled by how all this is playing out in open forum.

not impressed with either party. a reputable seller and a paying buyer are now a thread topic in the same place we lambaste professional fraud artists.

lessons here for all online buyers and sellers.
Old 12 April 2014, 06:49 AM   #112
TempoKing
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
This is my last post about this quartz soap opera

I offered to replace all the parts that Rolex required and not covered by
any warranty.... for $450 ONLY... and I would have given Tony's watch
another full service which this time would have been performed
by my primary Rolex factory trained watchmaker free of charge.

I tried to help and my genuine solid offer was refused on very silly grounds
I offered solutions above and beyond the call of a sellers duty just because
he is a member of TRF.
Old 12 April 2014, 08:14 AM   #113
Spartan
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALL of them
And my last post on this as well.

You keep talking about all of the wonderful options that you presented to me. Why?

I sent the watch into Rolex for servicing on my own. I didn't contact you or ask you for your help or advice, until AFTER I received the estimate from Rolex. And then I only asked you to cover the cost of the replacing the counterfeit crystal. nothing more.

Now you blow the whole thing up like I have been greedy. It was you who pushed me into airing this problem on the forums. It is you who is greedy, not me.

I wasn't going to write anything further. It is clear to me that you have no intention of paying for the crystal. I can live with that. I am disappointed that you didn't come through, but I will get over it.

Good luck in the future.
ROLEX1675:126660:226570BL:116613LN:114060
Pam00279 : Pam00270 : OMEGA3861 : Navitimer A23322 :
Old 12 April 2014, 08:55 AM   #114
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Disappointing Deal With Tempoking (Anastasios)

You both seem like great honourable guys. It seems too much has been said now for either party to capitulate. My advice to the seller is to set a return period for authenticity say 14-30 days in his adds and explain his warranty last for 2 years on internal parts only. Specify the watch must be sent back to you and You will fix it free of charge, but after the initial return period, no refund can be requested, work by a third party voids the warranty. I am sure if the buyer just sent the watch back with a short letter saying the watch has stopped not much more and please fix it under warranty none of this would have happened. Perhaps included a letter from Rolex stating the crystal is non genuine also. In saying this the seller must just pay for the crystal and move on as his warranty description is vague, correct his advertisements in the future to avoid a repeat of this. You are both good guys, refusing to budge on different yet valid principles, work it out amicably it's a few hundred bucks, all this is not worth it in my opinion.
Old 12 April 2014, 09:06 AM   #115
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowncollection View Post
You are both good guys, refusing to budge on different yet valid principles, work it out amicably it's a few hundred bucks, all this is not worth it in my opinion.
Very well said. I wish that happens.
Old 12 April 2014, 10:55 AM   #116
cruvon
"TRF" Member

Reading the 2 threads, I think the seller should have just replaced the aftermarket part and be done with it, starting the other thread against the OP only adds insult to the injury and was better avoided. It doesn't really matter how much time has elapsed after the sale if the watch had aftermarket parts that were overlooked by oversight or otherwise in the ad by the seller. Even the best expert sellers can get vintage wrong at times but its important to set things right for customers when mistakes happen.
This has to be the most expensive 200 bucks ever, especially since the seller seems to have a good reputation here otherwise and can easily set things right!

Last thing I remember, I was Running outta sight
I had to find the passage back,To the place I was before.
’Relax,’ said this Rolex place,We are programmed to receive.
You can checkout any time you like, But you can never leave!
Old 12 April 2014, 10:47 PM   #117
bfinta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowncollection View Post
You are both good guys, refusing to budge on different yet valid principles, work it out amicably it's a few hundred bucks, all this is not worth it in my opinion.
I dont see how tony is refusing to budge, he asked to be reimbursed for the cost of the crystal, it was refused so he posted his story here. Then when refused again here he seems to take it in stride...

What i dont get is this, the seller offered to do all the work for 450$ with a full service (if i understood correctly), surely thats worth quite a bit more than 450$, so why not just reimburse the 200$ for the crystal (which is actually about 180CDN$) and call it a day. It must be cheaper this way for the seller than doing the service, parts, return shipping etc...
Old 13 April 2014, 02:34 AM   #118
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Just out of curiosity, has the buyer posted feedback on this transaction in the "Who's Who" section?
Old 13 April 2014, 05:33 AM   #119
Survivor
Banned

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
Ignorance is never an excuse. All watches sold on TRF are assumed 100% authentic unless otherwise stated. Somebody correct me if I am wrong. Like many have said, it is almost impossible to differentiate between a genuine crystal and an aftermarket one. Surely one can not tell the difference with the naked eye. I am sure Tempoking had no idea, but regardless, I still think it is his responsibility to replace it.
Exactly..........any reputable businessman, stands behind their product and/or service......period!!!!! If the Seller did not check out the piece fully before he acquired it, that's his fault. Unless the item was sold with a "Buyer Beware", this all falls on the Seller, regardless of reputation....and afterall, isn't that how one builds a reputation in business........by standing behind what you sell.

Good luck but it doesn't seem like the Seller is interested in settling this......
Old 13 April 2014, 05:36 AM   #120
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post
Just out of curiosity, has the buyer posted feedback on this transaction in the "Who's Who" section?
Why wouldn't he?

He seemed to be happy with the watch until Rolex told him it had aftermarket parts.
Closed Thread