The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 May 2017, 11:46 PM   #91
bax_tron
"TRF" Member

Watch: SEA-DWELLER
Congrats kid. Where do you want to go to college? Do you take the SAT at 16 now? That sucks.

I don't see a big problem with this, it was your parents decision after all.

Just don't be a sh*t head about the watch. The more you talk about it or flash it, the more your friends and acquaintances will consider you a d-bag. This applies to luxury goods in general and people of all ages. You can have nice things but stay humble.
bax_tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2017, 11:49 PM   #92
wristwatch3r
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingToSeeHere View Post
Funny, I grew up in a wealthy area, and every spoiled kid who received gifts like this had similar stories. The difference is I knew them personally and rarely did any of them admit the truth. Their parents spoil them regardless.

Congratulations, but when your parents are funding a lifestyle you didn't earn, it's best be humble. If not humble, then be 100% honest. Leave out the perfect sat score part of your story, and don't try and pretend your next watch is 100% self funded. Even if your story is true, which I highly doubt it is, your parents still gave you the seed money.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but these are good life lessons for you. Tell the whole truth, or say nothing.

Please post up your SD when you get it!
I appreciate the congrats. Sure, my seed money was from my parents but it was not a ton of money and I was able to grow it. You can have your doubts, but please, lets try to keep a positive theme here. I will make sure to share my SD with everyone when I get it.
wristwatch3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2017, 11:53 PM   #93
r8t3d_M
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me ;)
Congratulations on getting your first Rolex! It'll pair nicely with the SD43 you plan on buying..
r8t3d_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2017, 11:53 PM   #94
wristwatch3r
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax_tron View Post
Congrats kid. Where do you want to go to college? Do you take the SAT at 16 now? That sucks.

I don't see a big problem with this, it was your parents decision after all.

Just don't be a sh*t head about the watch. The more you talk about it or flash it, the more your friends and acquaintances will consider you a d-bag. This applies to luxury goods in general and people of all ages. You can have nice things but stay humble.
Thank you. I would like to attend Columbia Business School and it was my decision to take the SAT early. I am very careful not to boast about my life and my parents wealth. I try to keep it very low key but hey, everyone on here is here to look at watches, so why not share mine?
Old 10 May 2017, 11:54 PM   #95
cburgs56
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610 LV
Congrats
cburgs56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2017, 11:57 PM   #96
corn18
Banned

I get the sense the OP is genuinely excited about owning a Rolex. I had my doubts at first, especially with a $1M+ avatar, but the kid is way more articulate than I was at 16. Welcome aboard! And promise to bring that 918 to a get together to talk watches in the future!
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2017, 11:58 PM   #97
Dusko.Popov
"TRF" Member

If you bought it with your own hard earned money, again *your* hard earned money, then a big congrats.
Dusko.Popov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2017, 11:59 PM   #98
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
Man, I'm 50 and still haven't purchased my first Rolex yet. Really just started getting into horology a couple years ago.

Congrats.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 12:01 AM   #99
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Lume View Post
Whoa Whoa Whoa!!

Let's not see another post about his age please.

He's also wearing $1000 sneakers. How many of you even have 1 pair of $600 dress shoes? A BAPE hoody is $400. Do you even own a $400 blazer? I know I don't. But my kid has the $400 hoody.

You see, some people have wealth that other people can't comprehend.

And in this situation a $8,000 watch isn't anything but a day's pay for dad.

Some girls get a big party at 16. I agree with this gift of a watch 100%.

Some kids get big bar mitzvahs at 13. I gave my son an Air King. He wears it on rubber b.

My only concern was that an older kid or a group of older kids would jump him for it, but also everyone knows he's a highly skilled bjj practitioner and don't want to get strangled either.

OP, wear your watch in good health but also be mindful - as a younger person you're around many people who are not financially set and sucker punching you for a quick pay day is very much for real. Even if you're hanging with an elite crowd - creeps always manage to weasel their way in.

Photos below because sometimes you can't make this up lol.
FYI, wealth and wherewithal have absolutely nothing to do with the appropriateness or inappropriateness of showering expensive material items on children (16, yes a child....13, just wow). Once again, the major underlying point seems to have been lost on someone.

There is one thing I do agree with in the above post....."sometimes you can't make this up".
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 12:02 AM   #100
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
That's great! Enjoy it forever!
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 12:03 AM   #101
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by wristwatch3r View Post
Not mine, my dads.

Awesome car. They did a great feature on the 918, P1, and LaFerrari on The Grand Tour recently.

Sub and 918 pics are always great
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 12:03 AM   #102
wristwatch3r
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusko.Popov View Post
If you bought it with your own hard earned money, again *your* hard earned money, then a big congrats.
This was not earned with my hard earned money, but with my hard earned grades. My parents bought it for me with their hard earned money as a gift.
Old 11 May 2017, 12:11 AM   #103
wristwatch3r
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
I get the sense the OP is genuinely excited about owning a Rolex. I had my doubts at first, especially with a $1M+ avatar, but the kid is way more articulate than I was at 16. Welcome aboard! And promise to bring that 918 to a get together to talk watches in the future!
Thanks! That would be awesome to bring the 918 to a get together to talk about watches. My dad and I have gone to a few Cars and Caffe with the 918, always a great crowd. If you're interested in cars, check out Bergen County Cars and Caffe on Facebook.
Old 11 May 2017, 12:12 AM   #104
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
I appreciate the congrats. Sure, my seed money was from my parents but it was not a ton of money and I was able to grow it. You can have your doubts, but please, lets try to keep a positive theme here. I will make sure to share my SD with everyone when I get it.
Don't listen to naysayers, getting a perfect score on your SATs is a huge accomplishment, that I guarantee doesn't happen to everyone. You put in the hard study work. Your parents are showing you that if you work hard you will be rewarded, which is a fine lesson. Just remember to work hard towards your next goal and never settle on mediocracy. Oh and enjoy that Sub, it's the perfect first Rolex
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 12:12 AM   #105
FlyinM3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you. I would like to attend Columbia Business School and it was my decision to take the SAT early. I am very careful not to boast about my life and my parents wealth. I try to keep it very low key but hey, everyone on here is here to look at watches, so why not share mine?
From a fellow CBS alum, excellent choice!!
FlyinM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 12:15 AM   #106
casadecamporolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619LB
As a hard working teenager, I also bought my first Rolex when I was 17....back in 1971.
From my perspective, it was a merit badge. Not what I was seeking, only the by-product of my financial success.
Congratulations on the watch and your SAT score.
What were the other two scores?
casadecamporolex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 12:15 AM   #107
wristwatch3r
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
Awesome car. They did a great feature on the 918, P1, and LaFerrari on The Grand Tour recently.

Sub and 918 pics are always great
I saw that episode a few months back. If I am recalling the episode correctly, they referred to it as the "Hypercar Holy Trinity". I am so glad that the old Top Gear team came back to start a new show.
Old 11 May 2017, 12:16 AM   #108
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
Congratulations!
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 12:18 AM   #109
Terrakot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex LVc/BLNR
Congrats! Who cares who paid for this purchase - probably 10-20 years later he will buy a ocean-view residence in Malibu for his parents))
Terrakot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 12:22 AM   #110
corn18
Banned

Quote:
Thanks! That would be awesome to bring the 918 to a get together to talk about watches. My dad and I have gone to a few Cars and Caffe with the 918, always a great crowd. If you're interested in cars, check out Bergen County Cars and Caffe on Facebook.
Love the variety of old and new at that C&C. The old Celica and Supra are way cool.
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 12:23 AM   #111
GB-man

Watch: addiction issues
Congrats!

Contrary to what many believe a Rolex is just a watch and not some sort of Medal of Honor only bestowed upon those who labored 25 years to get one.

Enjoy your watch and have fun in college.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 12:23 AM   #112
wristwatch3r
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casadecamporolex View Post
As a hard working teenager, I also bought my first Rolex when I was 17....back in 1971.
From my perspective, it was a merit badge. Not what I was seeking, only the by-product of my financial success.
Congratulations on the watch and your SAT score.
What were the other two scores?
That must have been quite the accomplishment for you. The new SAT is based on a 1600 scale. They did away with the 2400 for this years SAT test. So now, getting a 1600 is the max score for the entire test.
Old 11 May 2017, 12:30 AM   #113
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Well I didn't think I would create this much of a stir. Long story short, my parents bought it for me, but before you roll your eyes read the rest. I ended up getting a perfect score on my SATs, so they thought that in return of my hard work, they would get me a watch of my choice. I am extremely grateful to be in the situation I am in today financially and able to be in an amazing family. However, I have played around in the stock market and my next watch, a new Sea-Dweller, will be 100% self funded, not bought with "daddy's" money. I may only be 16 but I understand the hard work it takes to get a Rolex and how special it really is to have one.
I can identify, I was trading the stockmarket when I was 15 and took over my Dad's very unambitious Blue chip only portfolio and had trebled its worth within a couple of years, and I also then went to a University's Business School. I never had a thought to buy a Rolex then or even a car actually, so you are well ahead of the game.

You sound like you have a good attitude and I look forward to seeing your collection progress here, well done and congrats, kid!
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 12:39 AM   #114
ejvette

Watch: me break clays..
COngrats !

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 12:45 AM   #115
Phil G.
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master IIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickyfin View Post
Congrats, please share your story on how you can fulfil your joy in Rolex ownership at such a young age? You maybe an inspiration to other youngsters :)
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I got my first Rolex at 30, and I paid for it myself, as I did with my others. Having the good fortune to have gifters is great, but I think handing a new $8K-$9K watch to a 16 year old sends the wrong message to a kid, unless I'm way off base and this lad is an entrepreneur and rewarded himself for his success. In that case, God bless him! But, I just think that giving a new Sub to a 16 year old kid has entitlement written all over it. I disagree with spending $300K-1M on a Bar Mitzvah, too, and I have friends who did just that. I think parents do it for themselves, not the kids anyway. Just because you can afford it doesn't mean you should do it. That's why I sent my kids to medical and graduate school - could I afford to pay full freight? Yes, but I didn't - they are paying back a portion of their tuition monthly. It's part of teaching kids financial responsibility, IMO. My physician son says he is saving for his first Rolex. And one day, when he can afford one, he'll get one. Flame away.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 12:46 AM   #116
Goin2drt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
LOL - good for you. You should feel privilaged to come from a family that can afford to reward you for your hard work.

I got perfect score in my final exams at school, made it to whatever degree pretty much at University of my choosing and pretty much a career of my choice.

All I got was "work harder this is only the start of your adult life" LOL - if I asked for a Rolex my old man would have smacked my head until I was dizzy and probably tell me I don't deserve jack all. Which is probably true compared to what he has been through growing up and the hardships faced.

Wear in good health and make sure you appreciate it. Some ppl save a lifetime and cannot afford luxury items like this.
This would be my post so I will just say ditto.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 12:47 AM   #117
wristwatch3r
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I got my first Rolex at 30, and I paid for it myself, as I did with my others. Having the good fortune to have gifters is great, but I think giving a new $8K watch to a 16 year old sets a bad example, unless I'm way off base and this lad is an entrepreneur and rewarded himself for his success. In that case, God bless him! But, I just think that giving a new Sub to a 16 year old kid has entitlement written all over it. Flame away.
If you go to the second page of this thread you will see the story behind the watch.
Old 11 May 2017, 12:51 AM   #118
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Good deal. Yes this is the place to show our watches, not to be judgmental. I hope you do well.

Quote:
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 12:53 AM   #119
Goin2drt
Banned

Oh and I know I am a crappy Dad. I can afford to do these things for my kids. My oldest got almost a perfect score, over a 4.0 and got into a great college into the engineering dept and will graduate in another year.

He drives a old beat up CRV that he had to pay half for and we matched his funds earned, he buys his own watches off eBay from China for less than $10, and MAYBE when he gets married I MIGHT hand down one of my Rolex's to him.

What a jerk I am.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 01:01 AM   #120
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
Oh and I know I am a crappy Dad. I can afford to do these things for my kids. My oldest got almost a perfect score, over a 4.0 and got into a great college into the engineering dept and will graduate in another year.

He drives a old beat up CRV that he had to pay half for and we matched his funds earned, he buys his own watches off eBay from China for less than $10, and MAYBE when he gets married I MIGHT hand down one of my Rolex's to him.

What a jerk I am.
Wouldn't call you a jerk, you just have a different perspective.
Neither is wrong. Not the OP's parents and certainly not you.
Each entitled to do as they please with their means and and being negatively judgmental gives the wrong impression of one's true feelings.

Your style is not mine. I am not of the OP's parent's apparent means but have gone to similar extremes with what I do have.
Recently, I gave my son his dream watch for his 33rd birthday.
No special birthday or accomplishment. Just a gesture to see the joy on his face and share what I have while I am alive, today, my way. If I could have afforded it earlier, I would have done it then.
123Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote