The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 9 May 2018, 03:39 PM   #91
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
If you are asking yourself that question... as many has said, don’t wear it.

I don’t see any situation besides applying to work at Rolex (or potentially other watch brands) would this help you in the interview.

Regardless of what background you come from, how you got it, or who your interviewer is... how you dress is a huge part of the interview. Dress appropriate for the occasion. Neat and tidy. The Rolex crown and watches are pretty synonymous with wealth, luxury, and prestige. Don’t let the watch be the topic of your job interview. Something small like a stain on a shirt, or food in your teeth can distract your interviewer, let alone a watch with the infamous crown on it. Why have it potentially impact you in a negative way, I don’t see a positive come out of it especially at a younger age (and probably appearance) applying for their first official career opportunity.

Keep it off for those 30 or so minutes. Human nature to judge a person within the first few minutes of seeing them. And within that time, your full attire and posture are all analyzed.
Old 9 May 2018, 04:04 PM   #92
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

If your watch is visible on your wrist it will be noticed. It’s a noticeable watch. Part blue bezel, PCL’s. It’s a bit blingy. However the chances that your interviewer will know what it is is miniscule. If he does know what it is then there’s a good chance he’s a WIS and won’t hold it against you.

I conduct interviews and it wouldn’t even occur to me to register what watch a candidate was wearing as part of the assessment. How could it when you’re assessing qualifications, competence, communication skills and personality?

Finally, I wouldn’t want to work for anybody who might judge me for the watch I was wearing. It begs the question what other innocent little foibles I might have that they could hold against me in future.
Old 9 May 2018, 04:39 PM   #93
Dahl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebirdiedk View Post
I bought the watch with my own money yes. I saved up since I was 15 years (when I got my first job) and I recently bought it after being on the waiting list for six months.
My family is not particular wealthy (neither am I), I will consider myself and my family as a standard middle class. No one in my family ever bought a Rolex or have owned any expensive watches
Wear the watch at the interview - it’s a nice watch that means something to you. Dont flash it. Btw I am a consultant (employed in Copenhagen as well) and I don’t think anybody will see it as a negative signal. If asked you have the perfect story...
Old 9 May 2018, 04:42 PM   #94
MrPorter_008
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15202ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
If you are asking yourself this question, just leave it at home and focus on the interview.
Agreed with the above. You presented a case with only downside and no upside. If there is no benefit of wearing it (and I don't see there being any) then leave it at home. Good luck on your interview!
Old 9 May 2018, 05:23 PM   #95
Andad
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I like it when job applicants wear expensive watches.

I will never have to give them a raise.

Just by asking this question you have given yourself the answer.

Old 9 May 2018, 05:32 PM   #96
Navarino
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Hello guys
I am 22 years old and a happy owner of a BLNR. Like many other Rolex owners I like to wear it (almost) everyday. I am currently attending a lot of job interviews as I am finishing my degree in July.
I’ve been wearing my Rolex for the last two interviews but I am considering leaving it at home for the third. It’s primarily finance and/or auditing companies so I am definitely not the only one with a Rolex on the wrist, but I am wondering if wearing a Rolex at the age of 22 sends a bad/arrogant signal to the employer/recruiter.

What are your thoughts? And do you have any good/bad experiences?

Looking very much forward to read your replies
You've received a lot of advice in this thread already. I am only adding to it because I work in the industry (started professional career in IB and now in private equity).

Personally, I wouldn't wear the watch. It be one thing if you had a rather unassuming DJ on your wrist. The BLNR is much more of a statement piece. Even if it's tucked under your shirt, there is a good chance it will come out during an interview with some hand movement.

With finance interviews, especially if your a fresh graduate, the last thing you want at all is anyone remembering anything about your attire from an interview. After you've left, the only thing up for discussion should be your resume, personality, interview performance, and fit for the job/team you'll be working with.

I've been through many team debriefs after we have candidates come in for interviews. You'd be surprised how many times something random comes up (like a guy's suit, tie, watch, etc.) and derails the conversation. It's not that people straight up say "oh this punk rocked a Daytona to his superday interview - ding - he's out". More so, people will just think of you as "that [ ] guy" and forget everything else about your interviews and how you performed. You don't want to be that guy. Not saying this is the norm of what always happens, but it can.

Others have mentioned in this thread there is a good chance the people interviewing you may have no clue what the BLNR is. I will say this though -- from personal experience, finance guys tend to have a higher chance being watch guys (maybe not WIS necessarily, but enough to rock a Rolex or AP or Patek) than the average demographic.

Best of luck with the job search! Feel free to PM me if you have any industry questions, etc.
Old 9 May 2018, 05:35 PM   #97
VladimirS
"TRF" Member

Wore my Sub to an interview last year. I’m older than you (was 29 at the time), but got the job and about 6 weeks later added the LV to celebrate. Probably subconsciously it helped having it there because it’s a reminder of my achievements so far.

I would say go for it, but be wary of being seen to be ‘flashing’ it, under the shirt cuff should do the trick!
Old 9 May 2018, 05:47 PM   #98
MonBK
Banned

Never been to one so can't advice, but good luck.

Old 9 May 2018, 05:56 PM   #99
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
No, don't wear it.
Old 9 May 2018, 06:08 PM   #100
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
I like it when job applicants wear expensive watches. I will never have to give them a raise
Old 9 May 2018, 06:09 PM   #101
SpeedyTuomas
"TRF" Member

90% will not notice or care. If it bothers you, leave it at home.

If the interviewer is a watch guy, it could be a good idea to wear it. Then again, it could also hurt you if he finds you too flashy or douchey.
Old 9 May 2018, 06:46 PM   #102
Horationelson
"TRF" Member

I think the fact that the topic starter is 22 years old (and still finishing his/her degree) makes the difference here, given the model of watch.

Although there is a fair story behind how you came to acquire the watch, not all interviewers would ask for the story and unfortunately a number of interviewers would have some degree of unconscious bias about the watch. E.g. if your interviewer were in his/her late 30s with a mortgage, two kids and was at the same time looking to acquire a watch for themselves, but looking only at entry level Tudors/Omegas so not as to break the bank... one does wonder why they would be inclined to give a BLNR-wearing 22 year old a job. Maybe even by hiring a new applicant, they are eating into the departmental budget at the expense of their own pay (deferring their own pay rise, or even taking a pay cut?). Maybe not. But these are things to think about. Therefore, by wearing the watch, regardless of the background story, you risk showing a lack of judgment of what is suitable in any given situation. Leave it at home.
Old 9 May 2018, 06:51 PM   #103
AAVDB
"TRF" Member

I love my Rolex to death, but am I the only one who thinks wearing a Batman with a suit will make you look like a tool...

They make other watches for that.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Old 9 May 2018, 06:55 PM   #104
soran
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
As you are applying for a junior position and you live in Copenhagen, I would not wear the Rolex until the job was landed. I assume you have a bit of "Law of Jante" in Denmark just as we have in Sweden.
Old 9 May 2018, 06:55 PM   #105
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

I absolutely would wear an expensive watch to a job interview. IMO (if they notice) it projects the idea that you want the job, you dont "need" the job. So many people just want a job regardless if its the one they want or not.

I think it signals the fact that you are not desperate for employment as clearly you have some means. As a former hiring manager myself i would rather hire someone who wants the specific job and just doesnt want to be employed with whatever job they get offered. I interpret it as they are selective and are sitting across from me because they want to be.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 9 May 2018, 06:55 PM   #106
CPRWATCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
Your looking at an interview in the world of accounting/finance, so its all about attention to detail & compliance . I think maybe one of those digital casios with calculator feature, would be a good choice as it gives off the aura of attention to detail & a personal interest in numbers which Auditing/financial accounting is all about . My comments are only an observation obviously & best of luck with your interview .
Attached Images
File Type: png casio.png (205.5 KB, 134 views)
Old 9 May 2018, 06:59 PM   #107
soran
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyTuomas View Post
90% will not notice or care. If it bothers you, leave it at home.

If the interviewer is a watch guy, it could be a good idea to wear it. Then again, it could also hurt you if he finds you too flashy or douchey.
The 10% who will notice will most likely not be positively affected
Old 9 May 2018, 07:28 PM   #108
Uggi
Banned

Which firm are you being interviewed at?
I worked for years at PwC - nobody there would give a toss what you were wearing on your wrist, what suit you had on or what car you drive. It's a productivity/results game - the uniforms and baubles will be irrelevant to those people.
In sales or in marketing or in media positions maybe that would be different but not in the big 4. So do whatever makes you feel more confident.
Old 9 May 2018, 07:59 PM   #109
Sket7
Banned

Watch: 116500, 116610LV
The watch you wear shouldn't bother you... it is your performance that would count.
Old 9 May 2018, 08:03 PM   #110
jdpny
Banned

Quote:
If you are asking yourself that question... as many has said, don’t wear it.

I don’t see any situation besides applying to work at Rolex (or potentially other watch brands) would this help you in the interview.

Regardless of what background you come from, how you got it, or who your interviewer is... how you dress is a huge part of the interview. Dress appropriate for the occasion. Neat and tidy. The Rolex crown and watches are pretty synonymous with wealth, luxury, and prestige. Don’t let the watch be the topic of your job interview. Something small like a stain on a shirt, or food in your teeth can distract your interviewer, let alone a watch with the infamous crown on it. Why have it potentially impact you in a negative way, I don’t see a positive come out of it especially at a younger age (and probably appearance) applying for their first official career opportunity.

Keep it off for those 30 or so minutes. Human nature to judge a person within the first few minutes of seeing them. And within that time, your full attire and posture are all analyzed.
Perfect!
Old 9 May 2018, 08:09 PM   #111
Dogdad
"TRF" Member

I find the OP's question humerus....who's being interviewed, the OP or the watch?
Old 9 May 2018, 08:09 PM   #112
Lumberjact
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I would wear a watch which is discreet, small, non-flashy, non-coloured and easily-forgettable. Noticing a watch in an interview, from the interviewer's perspective, is rarely a good thing. It certainly won't land the candidate the job, and it may create a conscious or subconscious bias and go against them for some of the reasons already mentioned.

On the other hand, from the candidate's perspective, wearing one's favourite good watch may be like a talisman and give them some boost to their confidence. This may lead to a better interview performance and increase the chances of landing the job.

Decide which of the two approaches is more for you, and go for it. Best of luck!

"Onto his wrist he slipped his steel Rolex Oyster Perpetual, the 34mm model, the date window its only complication; Bond did not need to know the phases of the moon or the exact moment of high tide at Southampton. And he suspected very few people did."
Old 9 May 2018, 08:13 PM   #113
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdad View Post
I find the OP's question humerus....who's being interviewed, the OP or the watch?
There’s no ‘arm in his asking the question.

He only wants a hand.

Forewarned is forearmed.
Old 9 May 2018, 08:15 PM   #114
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
There’s no ‘arm in his asking the question.

He only wants a hand.

Forewarned is forearmed.
The Humerus only runs down to the elbow.
Old 9 May 2018, 08:15 PM   #115
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
I'll be interviewing for a higher end IT FTE or consulting job soon. Obviously, a suit needs to be worn. In your situation, you probably want to go lower key. However, you also need to dress using clothes and accessories that you feel comfortable.

I have a GMT 116710BLNR & 116710NR, Tudor Chrono Panda 79280,Sub 116610LV, Tudor Blue Heritage Chrono and a 36mm DateJust.

In my collection, I would wear only two of them during an interview. The Black bezel GMT and maybe the Tudor 79280. Both aren’t that flashy. The PCLs on the GMT can be distracting so I’ll put it on a black leather-like strap.

Even the BLNR looks more “low key” on a black strap (especially w/o the white stitching).

I also attached a Tudor pic. I won't go with a black strap on that because it's a pita to swap.

Quote:
Hello guys
I am 22 years old and a happy owner of a BLNR. Like many other Rolex owners I like to wear it (almost) everyday. I am currently attending a lot of job interviews as I am finishing my degree in July.
I’ve been wearing my Rolex for the last two interviews but I am considering leaving it at home for the third. It’s primarily finance and/or auditing companies so I am definitely not the only one with a Rolex on the wrist, but I am wondering if wearing a Rolex at the age of 22 sends a bad/arrogant signal to the employer/recruiter.

What are your thoughts? And do you have any good/bad experiences?

Looking very much forward to read your replies
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5DFFB1FE-8637-4FC7-BA12-2B84FDBE7BDE.jpeg (156.0 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpeg F75C3BDB-BD64-4B77-B182-C407210C46A5.jpeg (131.7 KB, 113 views)
Old 9 May 2018, 08:18 PM   #116
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
The Humerus only runs down to the elbow.
Yeah well crap jokes aren’t always factually accurate. Or indeed funny
Old 9 May 2018, 08:19 PM   #117
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Yeah well crap jokes aren’t always factually accurate. Or indeed funny
If the OP wears it on the Humerus then the joke is real funny.
Old 9 May 2018, 09:01 PM   #118
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Are they interviewing you or the watch?
Omega Seamaster SMP300m, Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
Old 9 May 2018, 09:10 PM   #119
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT BLNR
I love my blnr and recently had the same conundrum.

I’m a lot older, but was interviewing for a spot on a team and was unsure. The blnr is stunning, but blingy. You can’t see how blingy unless you look at yourself in the mirror in a well-lighted place.

As one poster commented, if you’re asking the question, probably best not to wear it. Save it for your first day!

I made that decision and wore my old YM. Still blingy but I have it on a rubber b strap, so it’s less Rolexy.

Enjoy your blnr. You’ll marvel at it for a lifetime.
Old 9 May 2018, 09:15 PM   #120
SearChart
TechXpert

I would wear it.
Closed Thread