The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 February 2022, 12:39 AM   #91
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector
A well-worn watch is a beautiful thing. Once it reaches a certain point, the wear and tear just blend together. I’ve got several SS at this point, but not PM. I think that’s because I wouldn’t wear PM doing things I do with SS- they are more like dress or special occasion pieces for my lifestyle and career.
10klakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 02:03 AM   #92
RDT-G23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpt.calvin View Post
Not everyone considers Rolex a luxury good. Some just treat them as (expensive, relatively speaking) tools.

Other argue that if you can’t afford to “really” wear (and tear) a Rolex, you could never afford it to begin with.

Not necessarily my thoughts, but…you asked.
I'd offer that I can "afford" to wear virtually any watch made, short of $250K; that said, I'm quite careful with everything I own. Heck, none of my vehicles have ever been to a car wash. They are accordingly ceramic coated and PPF'd. I'm quite particular. I'd offer (and I hate to try to put words into the OP's mouth) that it is hard for weirdos like us to understand how some can be rather "flippant" toward scratches/damage. Nobody in his/her right mind seeks scratches (I don't think that is what is being asserted). I think it is the flippancy. All of this said, to each his/her own!
RDT-G23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 02:33 AM   #93
crispyness87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDT-G23 View Post
I'd offer that I can "afford" to wear virtually any watch made, short of $250K; that said, I'm quite careful with everything I own. Heck, none of my vehicles have ever been to a car wash. They are accordingly ceramic coated and PPF'd. I'm quite particular. I'd offer (and I hate to try to put words into the OP's mouth) that it is hard for weirdos like us to understand how some can be rather "flippant" toward scratches/damage. Nobody in his/her right mind seeks scratches (I don't think that is what is being asserted). I think it is the flippancy. All of this said, to each his/her own!
I don’t think the “some” you’re referring to are being flippant. They simply want to wear their tool watches as they are meant to be, and scratches / damages are a nice by-product of actually going through day-to-day life. A submariner is meant to be withstand the inevitable wear of diving. A Daytona is meant to be worn by drivers on a race track. Those activities will bang up your watch.

Rolex Steel watches may cost thousands of dollars, but some of them were designed for a purpose. It’s still the owner’s prerogative if they want to treat Rolex Steel like jewelry.

Imagine you are God, and you designed the perfect guy for basketball. You gift him with every imaginable talent. His mum calls him Michael Jordan, but then decides to keep like safe at home because she doesn’t want her boy to get scratched up on the basketball court.
crispyness87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 04:33 AM   #94
LVx2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyness87 View Post
It’s still the owner’s prerogative if they want to treat Rolex Steel like jewelry.
The watch beater undoubtedly treats their jewelry the same.

I’m intrigued by your take crispyness87. Isn’t crispy a descriptor of pristine condition?
LVx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 04:37 AM   #95
swiss_seth
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Icon3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
I feel it is nice to have a great watch at work when it can take it.

meh. . . a little polywatch with take care of that lol!!

love this photo

I have a nasty dent on my 116610 and you can definetly tell it is a daily worn watch. When I dropped and dented it I thought it would bother me so I would get laser welding but now I dont really care. When I die (in hopefully a long time) my son can look at that dent and remember it was his dads watch and wear it another 60+ years and dent the crap out of it. He is almost four and already loves watches and has his own marathon military automatitc watch when he is old enough.

C'est la vie
Old 27 February 2022, 08:53 AM   #96
RDT-G23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don’t think the “some” you’re referring to are being flippant. They simply want to wear their tool watches as they are meant to be, and scratches / damages are a nice by-product of actually going through day-to-day life. A submariner is meant to be withstand the inevitable wear of diving. A Daytona is meant to be worn by drivers on a race track. Those activities will bang up your watch.

Rolex Steel watches may cost thousands of dollars, but some of them were designed for a purpose. It’s still the owner’s prerogative if they want to treat Rolex Steel like jewelry.

Imagine you are God, and you designed the perfect guy for basketball. You gift him with every imaginable talent. His mum calls him Michael Jordan, but then decides to keep like safe at home because she doesn’t want her boy to get scratched up on the basketball court.
"a nice by product of going through day-to-day life?" I go happily through day-to-day life, but my "sh-t is tight" with none of the referenced "nice by-products"...
Old 27 February 2022, 09:50 AM   #97
LVx2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatagoniaDan View Post
I beat the everliving crap out of my watch, because that is the lifestyle I live. It’s coming with me on my journeys and adventures.
Haha, this is what I'm talking about lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tqmb79 View Post
I wear all my watches but I am careful with them. Wore my Batman nearly daily from 2017-2019 before I got more watches and it still looks new. It is possible to wear abs enjoy watches and keep them pristine at the same time. AD saw my Batman and was shocked at how new it still looks. And I’ve gone swimming, in the ocean and brought it abroad multiple trips.
Sounds reasonable and completely doable. It's interesting, many members automatically assume that there are two choices, unworn safe queen or "I beat the everliving hell out of it"
Old 27 February 2022, 10:00 AM   #98
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I am by no means a watch beater. I do enjoy hearing stories of watches surviving wars, missions and adventures. I personally always enjoy looking down at my watch and thinking wow, this thing has been through a lot. The essence of that is probably why some equate scratches to enjoyment and living, the opposite being zero scratches, zero adventure and maybe even no enjoyment.

Rolexes are given and purchased for so many different reasons, winning races, corporate awards, military issued, etc. This is in stark contrast to the majority of discourse in this forum where much of chatter is about trade-in value.

Hodinkee’s Talkng Watches has some great stories about watches, Jack Nicklaus has some good ones…Jack wasn’t worried about scratching is Day-Date…I’m not sure anyone should be either.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 11:06 AM   #99
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVx2 View Post
I've long been fascinated with people who seem very proud that they've managed to destroy the finish of their luxury watch. Why? Why be proud that you've carelessly treated a very expensive object, one who's initial value is related to its finish? Just curious.
Hmmm if the reason you are buying Rolex is finish I am afraid you are buying the wrong brand. I buy Rolex because it's a tough as hell luxury watch that people went to to war/climbed mountains and dove with. It sure as hell can survive my mundane life.

The watches I buy for the finish (AP, VC, Lange), those I baby to "preserve the factory finish".

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 11:24 AM   #100
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I've long been fascinated with people who seem very proud that they've managed to destroy the finish of their luxury watch. Why? Why be proud that you've carelessly treated a very expensive object, one who's initial value is related to its finish? Just curious.
Wanting to appear as if they got into Rolex twenty years before they actually did?
rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 11:37 AM   #101
crispyness87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
"a nice by product of going through day-to-day life?" I go happily through day-to-day life, but my "sh-t is tight" with none of the referenced "nice by-products"...
Have you considered a dress watch? Would work perfectly for you. Keep it in the safe on most days, and only wear it on special occasions, preferably classy occasions with minimal chance of wearing the watch out. Patek/Lange/VC/JLC have some great specimens.
Old 27 February 2022, 11:39 AM   #102
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexPatekCartier
Some people are just careless, that’s when they are beat up
If beat up due to true work, Sun and you are diver, who cares

But if you are regular chap, the just treat normally and it will
be fine.

I rotate my collection. They are fine to very fine. But I don’t wear them to bed nor with a heavy jacket like a jean jacket
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 11:40 AM   #103
crispyness87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekman View Post
Hmmm if the reason you are buying Rolex is finish I am afraid you are buying the wrong brand. I buy Rolex because it's a tough as hell luxury watch that people went to to war/climbed mountains and dove with. It sure as hell can survive my mundane life.

The watches I buy for the finish (AP, VC, Lange), those I baby to "preserve the factory finish".
Well said and I agree with you. To each it’s own though, there’ll be folks that see Rolex steel akin to Jewelry.
Old 27 February 2022, 11:53 AM   #104
LVx2
Banned

Quote:

You don't beat your Rolex, it lives a mundane life, and baby your other luxury watches. Not bad.
Old 27 February 2022, 12:10 PM   #105
RDT-G23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Have you considered a dress watch? Would work perfectly for you. Keep it in the safe on most days, and only wear it on special occasions, preferably classy occasions with minimal chance of wearing the watch out. Patek/Lange/VC/JLC have some great specimens.
I rotate and wear all of mine weekly, but my sh-t is tight... And for the record, I'm a redneck from Katy, TX who drives a 3/4 ton diesel and runs garbage companies. I'd venture a strong bet that my life is a bit less "dressy" than yours. What do you say?
Old 27 February 2022, 12:37 PM   #106
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Rolex steel or pm, or PP, or VC , or Breguet… They're just $$$ watches in their categories…

Treat themas you wish.

But more likely if your leather shoes are unpolished, old, beat up,
more likely your watches, cars, homes…

LOL!!

Get a G-Shock
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
Old 27 February 2022, 02:00 PM   #107
Austerlitz7
"TRF" Member

I for one like the vintage look, the watch that looks the part. It’s a watch and, Rolex designs these watches to be worn and last and they always take a licking and keep on ticking-and look good in the process.
I honestly feel this is akin to buying a car and never driving it, I mean why would you intentionally put miles on the engine or wear down the tires.
Seriously just wear your watch, and enjoy it as it ages with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Austerlitz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 02:14 PM   #108
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Some people do not even bother to take off their watch off while working on their car, furnace, snow thrower, etc. Stick your hand into a tight metal space and you will easily scratch it up.
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 02:42 PM   #109
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
I have a few that I use for various duties. I could probably retire a couple and step it up a bit more often.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 03:08 PM   #110
crispyness87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I rotate and wear all of mine weekly, but my sh-t is tight... And for the record, I'm a redneck from Katy, TX who drives a 3/4 ton diesel and runs garbage companies. I'd venture a strong bet that my life is a bit less "dressy" than yours. What do you say?
Oh just a bit? Lol no contest at all Champ. I’m definitely dressier than a redneck; my hair is always done up, I put myself under a strict lean workout regime, and I wrap my body up with tight fitting European-style clothing.

I feel like my steel Daytona hates me as an owner, because my lifestyle doesn’t help it fulfill its toolwatch purpose. But now I can say ask it to chill as I definitely put it through the wringer more than a redneck.

My Nautiluses and Royal Oaks are different though. Those I keep “my sh-t tight”.
Old 27 February 2022, 03:18 PM   #111
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
It goes where I go.

If it can’t hang I don’t want it.
Finslayer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 03:29 PM   #112
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
…my hair is always done up, I put myself under a strict lean workout regime, and I wrap my body up with tight fitting European-style clothing.
You remind me of Patrick Bateman describing himself in American Psycho.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 03:33 PM   #113
crispyness87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
You remind me of Patrick Bateman describing himself in American Psycho.

Nah I don't use facial masks in the morning. I don't think men should be that pretty.
Old 27 February 2022, 07:51 PM   #114
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplorerI View Post
I’ve worn my watch every day for 10 years straight. The dings and scratches are a visual representation of the trials and tribulations it’s witnessed every step of the way.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 07:53 PM   #115
Rolexatlast
"TRF" Member

I see it in the same way as a Range Rover beaten up from being using used as it was designed to do.

My heart sings when I see Jeremy Clarkson using his Range Rover as his daily drive on his tv show ‘Clarkson’s Farm’, driving across fields, carrying bees, towing sheep to market etc.
Rolexatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 10:17 PM   #116
RDT-G23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Oh just a bit? Lol no contest at all Champ. I’m definitely dressier than a redneck; my hair is always done up, I put myself under a strict lean workout regime, and I wrap my body up with tight fitting European-style clothing.

I feel like my steel Daytona hates me as an owner, because my lifestyle doesn’t help it fulfill its toolwatch purpose. But now I can say ask it to chill as I definitely put it through the wringer more than a redneck.

My Nautiluses and Royal Oaks are different though. Those I keep “my sh-t tight”.
Your hair is “done up”? European-style clothes? You wouldn’t last long in TX.
Old 27 February 2022, 10:28 PM   #117
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Your hair is “done up”? European-style clothes? You wouldn’t last long in TX.
who want to… go to TX that is.
Old 27 February 2022, 10:43 PM   #118
RDT-G23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCP View Post
who want to… go to TX that is.
Evidently - the rest of you. Business relocations and according population growth are highest in the US; ask Elon Musk.
Old 27 February 2022, 10:57 PM   #119
crispyness87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The watch beater undoubtedly treats their jewelry the same.

I’m intrigued by your take crispyness87. Isn’t crispy a descriptor of pristine condition?
Hey buddy, apologies for missing this earlier.

I (rightly or wrongly) strongly prefer to consume/experience a certain product in the manner the creator envisions. When I'm ordering at a nice restaurant and am asked by the waiter "how would you like it done sir?", I'm always "whatever the chef recommends". Same when I'm ordering a cocktail.

And it's the same when it comes to my Rolex steel. Submariners are meant for kick ass diving escapes. Daytonas for meant for the race track. I am unfortunately neither cool nor talented enough to indulge in those activities. However, I have zero qualms in wearing my Steel Sub or Daytona for any activities that are less grueling than the above 2 mentioned.

Now for jewelry, or dainty steel sports watches like Nautilus or Royal Oak, or PM Rolexes, I'd argue that these aren't created/designed by artists to experience the tough life. As such I'd hold back on them, and treat them with more tender loving care.

So the quick answer (for me at least) is that I don't treat Rolex steel the same as jewelry. Interested in hearing your thoughts too man.

PS good point on crispy. I try to keep my Royal Oak crispy
Old 27 February 2022, 11:20 PM   #120
thenewrick
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
Watch beaters, why do you do it?

Y’all cray cray

Reminds me a lot of cars. I’ve seen weirdos key their own new car so it reduced their anxiety about scratches. Then the opposite end of the spectrum with trailer queens and safe queens.

Aim for the middle. Use them for their intended purpose, wash them when they’re dirty and you’re fine. Think about something else.