The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 1 July 2023, 05:29 PM   #91
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcows7 View Post
i was informed that the deposit secures the price as well (london boutique)
Thats awesome, the ADs here are not as accomodating, most brands tell me you have to pay the landing price even with a deposit.

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2023, 07:17 PM   #92
A971
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
I'd wait for the discounted secondary market for JLC. Imho Richemont has not done such a great job with JLC (or Panerai), though am sure company profits are up while build quality and what may remain of hand finishing... your call.

Agree.

Very hard to maintain pricing in the secondary market when Richemont family sales flood the market with excess inventory at steep discounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2023, 07:55 PM   #93
PPFANBOY
"TRF" Member

JLC.....and waitlist? They've lost me as a customer. I don't want to have to play the game for a watch that will surely tank in value as soon as you walk out of the botique with it.
Old 1 July 2023, 11:04 PM   #94
oconnorandrew64
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockjock1975 View Post
Prices are what prices are. All i know is I LOVE JLC!!

Great taste! I have the same albeit on a yellow strap

oconnorandrew64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2023, 11:07 PM   #95
oconnorandrew64
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockjock1975 View Post
Prices are what prices are. All i know is I LOVE JLC!!

oconnorandrew64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2023, 04:58 AM   #96
Madmoney
"TRF" Member

Watch: JLC Duoface, Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinnakeet View Post
We were at the JLC boutique in Manhattan yesterday. My husband was interested in the Polaris Date. The sales women had several negative things to say about that model, which we already knew about. I was surprised that she mentioned them, but she said it was better to know now then him returning disappointed.

He likes the watch enough and offered to purchase with a discount. Of course we know boutiques generally won’t, and they wouldn’t. Such a highly depreciating brand. I felt the build quality on the Polaris was sub par. The Reversos were much higher quality.

What are the issues with the Polaris? I love my Reverso and am considering a dive watch…
Madmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2023, 06:43 PM   #97
AAVDB
"TRF" Member

Even my AD was telling me it wasn't so great in being waterproof...
But after some years of being in production he said the made it better. It's all about being not screwdown pushers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmoney View Post
What are the issues with the Polaris? I love my Reverso and am considering a dive watch…
AAVDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2023, 06:04 PM   #98
Flint
"TRF" Member

I wear Reverso (Classique ) , purchased 15 years ago which I believe is now classed as a ladies watch ! Its 18k yellow gold and I wear as my daily , a very comfortable plain but beautiful watch . I have often wondered why they don't hold value but that doesn't bother me as I would never part with it .
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2023, 12:08 AM   #99
fatcows7
"TRF" Member

Watch: JLC / AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
Thats awesome, the ADs here are not as accomodating, most brands tell me you have to pay the landing price even with a deposit.
the new chrono is boutique only... so ADs shouldn't be involved.
fatcows7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2023, 12:09 AM   #100
fatcows7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPFANBOY View Post
JLC.....and waitlist? They've lost me as a customer. I don't want to have to play the game for a watch that will surely tank in value as soon as you walk out of the botique with it.
its not like they want to have a waiting list but they can't manufacture enough of it... they're only doing 100 pieces of the chronograph for 2024 and if youhave 101 people wanting one there's going to be a waiting list.

At least JLC guarantees you a watch if you're on the list unlike some of the other brands out there...
Old 4 July 2023, 12:31 AM   #101
Calatrava r
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Used watch values are driven solely by demand which is driven by the collectors of a brand. Apparently, there are not a lot of people amassing JLC collections. You see this with unknown brands. Urban Jurgensen's last run of releases retailed 30K and above but sold for half used. When the brand sold, collector interest in the old lines soared, now they sell at about the retail price used. Same watches, just different collector interest. Another place you see value retention variances is in the high-end complications. Split seconds Chronographs, Minute Repeaters and PCCs can be had for great reductions used from many brands except for PP which is highly collected.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2023, 01:42 PM   #102
Mk2rick
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedy Tuesday ST1
Similar to what others have shared here, i too can confirm that Singapore boutique requires a 30% down payment (thats SGD 9k).

The interesting point to add is that the final price you pay for the watch is dependent on the MSRP of the chrono at the time of collection, which is now as far as 2026-2027. Given how JLC has increased prices this year (some examples +20% this year alone!), i am worried , if they increase prices of (conservatively) 5-10% a year, how much will that chrono cost in 2026-2027.
Mk2rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2023, 08:23 AM   #103
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
I’ve owned two, and sold each one within a year of purchasing. They just didn’t do anything for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2023, 01:47 AM   #104
fatcows7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk2rick View Post
Similar to what others have shared here, i too can confirm that Singapore boutique requires a 30% down payment (thats SGD 9k).

The interesting point to add is that the final price you pay for the watch is dependent on the MSRP of the chrono at the time of collection, which is now as far as 2026-2027. Given how JLC has increased prices this year (some examples +20% this year alone!), i am worried , if they increase prices of (conservatively) 5-10% a year, how much will that chrono cost in 2026-2027.
that's mad - how is it that you CAN'T lock in the price today with your deposit? They're F**king with you and I'd complain to Richemont corporate.

Anyways, on the chrono my understanding is that they're not allowed to take deposits anymore because the list for 2024 is full...
Old 22 July 2023, 05:05 PM   #105
Horationelson
"TRF" Member

Was in JLC yesterday and they told me that yet another price increase (UK, possibly beyond) is coming in August. Pretty ridiculous as I’m sure they just had a round or two of increases.
Horationelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2023, 04:47 AM   #106
ExplorerI
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horationelson View Post
Was in JLC yesterday and they told me that yet another price increase (UK, possibly beyond) is coming in August. Pretty ridiculous as I’m sure they just had a round or two of increases.
Yes recently went in a shop that sold those and was amazed at the msrp. Definitely not helping the value retention jacking up msrp 10% a year
ExplorerI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2023, 04:18 PM   #107
dakkonmc
"TRF" Member

I love JLC as a brand... a mrsp at 59k for a Duometre chronograph is a lot to ask for, especially on the secondary Market when the watch could be had around 27 to 30.

It looks like Richemont is trying to sell fewer watches at much higher margin.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
dakkonmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2023, 09:10 AM   #108
Calatrava r
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I understand, from what I read, this brand has increased prices 30% or more over the last two years. To me that is not a smart move where the loss of value is so steep on the secondary market. I still think the Reverso is the way to go on this brand, but they may be best bought used. Incredible tradition and watch.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2023, 09:53 PM   #109
break
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakkonmc View Post
I love JLC as a brand... a mrsp at 59k for a Duometre chronograph is a lot to ask for, especially on the secondary Market when the watch could be had around 27 to 30.

It looks like Richemont is trying to sell fewer watches at much higher margin.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
As someone who gave up on Lange for this reason, I agree. Hopefully the conglomerate’s pricing shenanigans with Lange service rates don’t transfer to JLC and other brands as well.

Anyway here’s my Geophysic 1958

break is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2023, 10:14 PM   #110
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by break View Post
As someone who gave up on Lange for this reason, I agree. Hopefully the conglomerate’s pricing shenanigans with Lange service rates don’t transfer to JLC and other brands as well.
Alas, Richemont is also doing the same-ish with Panerai. In fact, Panerai will announce a big 70th anniversary watch yet OUTRIGHT REFUSE to tell customers about the movement / details. Have you ever heard of a watch company not giving details about the movement? Richemont's Panerai brand does. And yes, look at price increases and... you know.

It truly is deeply saddening to see this type of behaviour from Richemont :(

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2023, 09:08 PM   #111
Watch-Geek
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
I understand, from what I read, this brand has increased prices 30% or more over the last two years. To me that is not a smart move where the loss of value is so steep on the secondary market. I still think the Reverso is the way to go on this brand, but they may be best bought used. Incredible tradition and watch.
Yup, got mine used about 4 years ago, it is currently 40% more on the used market than what I payed for.

If I bought new it would probably be the other way around

Sent from my SM-A415F using Tapatalk
Watch-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2023, 01:00 PM   #112
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Piaget,Rolex,AP,HB
Has anyone had any news on their waiting list placing for the Reverso Chrono? Or has anyone taken delivery on one of these pieces?

Spoke to my AD and she said I'm at the top of the list for the next piece
youthagainsttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2023, 01:16 PM   #113
GK12345EMAIL
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ, Rolex, Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by youthagainsttt View Post
Has anyone had any news on their waiting list placing for the Reverso Chrono? Or has anyone taken delivery on one of these pieces?

Not yet

In the US, I was told delivery Jan ‘24 or maybe a few months later
GK12345EMAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2023, 12:08 PM   #114
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
Because of their crazy price increases! Love the Reverso, but the resale price is what the MSRP ought to be IMHO
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2023, 12:09 PM   #115
jw0n
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthagainsttt View Post

Amongst the first batch who placed an order, a friend of mine (who placed his deposit before I did) was told it could potentially be 2026. Bear in mind this news came some 5 months later. Which is ridiculous -- so he cancelled. I have heard wild rumours about late deliveries, production issues, and even potentially the final product not looking like the pre-production we've seen.

Instagram: @itsjw0n
jw0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2023, 12:53 AM   #116
fatcows7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw0n View Post
Amongst the first batch who placed an order, a friend of mine (who placed his deposit before I did) was told it could potentially be 2026. Bear in mind this news came some 5 months later. Which is ridiculous -- so he cancelled. I have heard wild rumours about late deliveries, production issues, and even potentially the final product not looking like the pre-production we've seen.
please provide more colour! especially on the final product point... different blue (i like the current blue but don't love it -> wish it was like the VC blue)
Old 23 September 2023, 02:52 AM   #117
FrugalGreubel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Voutilainen (2030)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcows7 View Post
please provide more colour! especially on the final product point... different blue (i like the current blue but don't love it -> wish it was like the VC blue)
I actually like the main dial color how it is. That being said I wish they’d make some minor changes to the Chronograph side. A little bit better finishing and maybe better contrast would be nice.

I’m on the waitlist but I’m probably gonna pass because by the time I get the call it’ll cost $30K and that’s too much for me for what it is.
FrugalGreubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2023, 01:06 AM   #118
jw0n
"TRF" Member

Do not think the colour will change -- in fact, have heard that they might make a monoface tribute with that ice blue.

Instagram: @itsjw0n
jw0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2023, 05:48 AM   #119
Belinus
"TRF" Member

I was in AD last week and they appeared to have a good stock of Reverso and many others (not sure which Reverso’s mind you). I felt bad but I needed to try on the Master Control Geographic to make sure I liked it. I then bought a two year old one for about 40% of the new price. Should receive it early next week.
Belinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2023, 11:51 PM   #120
IGY
"TRF" Member

I had been interested to get a Rolex Explorer 1 36mm. But then my nearest Rolex AD clearly wasn't interested in selling me that watch unless I bribed them or bought stuff I didn't want.

Then I discovered this watch. Neither Rolex nor the AD got any money from me, but I did get an interesting, relatively unflashy watch with 3-6-9-12 dial and sensible size (38.5mm). I also got a loop with the beautiful collectors box which has come in handy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Geophysic 1958.jpg (59.1 KB, 290 views)
IGY is offline   Reply With Quote