The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: Is the Oysterflex worth it?
Yes.. with comments 180 67.67%
No... with comments 86 32.33%
Voters: 266. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27 September 2023, 07:12 AM   #91
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickMP View Post

Love mine!
What a beauty.

As for my feeling about the topic:

I used to think it was not worth spending all that money on a watch and getting rubber looking bracelet on it.

Then at some point, someone on this forum mentioned that the difference in the price between OF and full bracelet PM, is a lot more than the value of the gold of the bracelet, so basically, if PM bracelet version is acceptable value, then PM with OF is even more of a value.

Then I see the SS version (just the head) vs. PM version of the same watch (just the head) and note the price difference, and I can't justify spending all that extra money to just get that little gold compared to the SS version.

Basically what I am saying is that you can't look at the OF vs. PM bracelet discussion from a value proposition point of view. Neither one is worth the cost difference when compared to the SS model.

My first PM piece will be a full bracelet one. But subsequent ones will have an OF or two. :)

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2023, 07:18 AM   #92
Lambo The Jambo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noshake View Post
This is the one. To bad they discontinued the dial. Great pick up.
Thank you and totally agree! Was very lucky to pick this up from my AD August of this year.
Lambo The Jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2023, 07:21 AM   #93
Lambo The Jambo
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Love mine!
That’s stunning!
Lambo The Jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2023, 08:20 AM   #94
vesnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
How's this? Do not wear it often but like the flexibility.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Batman on Rubber Oysterflex.jpg (94.4 KB, 406 views)
vesnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2023, 08:09 AM   #95
KeobNepo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLRO
For what it’s worth:

I was offered the OF Daytona by my AD, it was not on ‘my list’. Went to have a look at the watch and was surprised how good and casual it looked. After trying it on I decided to go for it.

I had a hard time to get the right fit with the OF. After a few weeks I got used to it, but never got bonded with the OF. Mainly because I didn’t find the OF as comfortable as the full bracelet watches I had. The wings om the inside of the OF bothered me after wearing it during the days, so I really had to take it off in the evening, whereas I can wear my full bracelets for days and it would not bother me at all. I actually don’t feel the full bracelets on my wrist, as if I’m not wearing a watch at all.

Also the lighter appearance of the OF (it’s not black, more a grey tone) bothered me; especially in bright daylight I didn’t like the tone of the OF.

After trying for a few weeks I put the watch away in the safe.

When the price on the market is right I will sell it.

So for me the OF is not worth it, I rather pay a little more and get the full bracelet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KeobNepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2023, 09:07 AM   #96
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeobNepo View Post
For what it’s worth:

I was offered the OF Daytona by my AD, it was not on ‘my list’. Went to have a look at the watch and was surprised how good and casual it looked. After trying it on I decided to go for it.

I had a hard time to get the right fit with the OF. After a few weeks I got used to it, but never got bonded with the OF. Mainly because I didn’t find the OF as comfortable as the full bracelet watches I had. The wings om the inside of the OF bothered me after wearing it during the days, so I really had to take it off in the evening, whereas I can wear my full bracelets for days and it would not bother me at all. I actually don’t feel the full bracelets on my wrist, as if I’m not wearing a watch at all.

Also the lighter appearance of the OF (it’s not black, more a grey tone) bothered me; especially in bright daylight I didn’t like the tone of the OF.

So for me the OF is not worth it, I rather pay a little more and get the full bracelet.

x2 this comment mirrors exactly what I was about to post

I bought an OF Daytona grey market last year really wanting to add one because I love my Patek Aquanaut with the strap, and I love my Daytonas so thought it would be the perfect combination

My local AD assisted me with getting the exact correct strap sizes for my wrist and fitted it, but for the life of me I just could not get comfortable wearing the watch

The wings on the inside of the strap "bracelet" just bothered my wrist and left imprints on the skin, I always noticed and felt the watch while on my wrist versus my bracelet watches and even Aquanaut which has the tropical rubber strap. I even thought about taking a razor to the inside and cut off the wings to make it "flat" internally like the Aqua strap... Made me wonder how other people can wear it without a thought in the world, but good for them it just was not the strap design for me and flipped it a week later... meanwhile my SS Daytona I find to be the most comfortable and perfect Rolex sports watch ever made so it's not that I have something against the Daytona itself
sampelligrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2023, 12:51 PM   #97
olzam
"TRF" Member

Icon7 Recently came across a WG Sky-Dweller

I really like the Oysterflex. Looks nice on the hand. Pick it up Mid October

Keen to get a view of what are some of the other straps you pair the watch with? I was thinking a black alligator etc but hoping you folks have some suggestions.
olzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2023, 01:04 PM   #98
BobbyD2323
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Say no to rubbers. Just sayin
Old 30 September 2023, 01:33 PM   #99
jitdc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520
Is the Oysterflex worth it.. or?

I love the oysterflex but I don’t think think the MSRP pricing should be in such relative parity with a full PM bracelet. It wears well, looks good etc. But slapping it on a PM Daytona, IMHO that should reduce the MSRP into the mid to high 20k’s. But I don’t get to set the prices so there’s that. If you like it, it truly is a great combo, if not pass and go full PM.

jitdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2023, 08:44 PM   #100
KeobNepo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by sampelligrino View Post

I bought an OF Daytona grey market last year really wanting to add one because I love my Patek Aquanaut with the strap, and I love my Daytonas so thought it would be the perfect combination

My local AD assisted me with getting the exact correct strap sizes for my wrist and fitted it, but for the life of me I just could not get comfortable wearing the watch

The wings on the inside of the strap "bracelet" just bothered my wrist and left imprints on the skin, I always noticed and felt the watch while on my wrist versus my bracelet watches and even Aquanaut which has the tropical rubber strap. I even thought about taking a razor to the inside and cut off the wings to make it "flat" internally like the Aqua strap... Made me wonder how other people can wear it without a thought in the world, but good for them it just was not the strap design for me and flipped it a week later... meanwhile my SS Daytona I find to be the most comfortable and perfect Rolex sports watch ever made so it's not that I have something against the Daytona itself

That’s funny, the exact same thing crossed my mind about cutting the wings of. But didn’t do it, because it would make it harder to sell and didn’t feel like spending om a new bracelet.

KeobNepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2023, 09:24 PM   #101
romaro36
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116518
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeobNepo View Post
For what it’s worth:

I couldn’t agree more. I traded in my Panda plus cash to get a YG Oysterflex with a black diamond dial. The watch was one of the most beautiful pieces I’d ever own, however, it was extremely uncomfortable on my wrist. It was sized perfectly but those freaking fins/wings on the inside always felt like they were digging into my wrist. I normally wear my watches for days at a time but with this one I’d take it off by the end of the day. I really tried to force myself to love it but after having it for just a few months I eventually traded it in for a full PM piece. I also purchased another Panda. Lol The ex you can’t get over.

romaro36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2023, 05:51 AM   #102
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbondOO7 View Post
Does not make sense to me. For me anyway a Rolex has a metal bracelet.

I totally agree. I don’t get the rubber strap on a chrono. It does makes a little more sense on a Yachtmaster, but I wouldn’t choose that configuration, either.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2023, 08:22 AM   #103
Ontime
Banned

Personally I'm not much of a Strap fan so ill rather have a bracelet.
Ontime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2023, 12:22 PM   #104
Gladiat0r
"TRF" Member

Can someone show an example of these “wings” that are inside the bracelet and cause discomfort?
Gladiat0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2023, 12:35 PM   #105
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona

I’ve had an OF Daytona for over three years now and I love it more today than the day I got it.

I think an OF is a near must-have in a 4+ watch collection.

I would not want an OF as an only luxury watch but it adds incredible diversity to a collection that is mostly full of bracelets.

jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2023, 12:39 PM   #106
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiat0r View Post
Can someone show an example of these “wings” that are inside the bracelet and cause discomfort?

I’ve never found them uncomfortable and most people that own an OF (like me) think they are incredibly comfortable.

I will say though, there is an adjustment period at first. Within the first month of owning one I took it into my AD twice to see about adjustments or different strap sizes. After trying different sizes and adjustments, it turned what I had originally was the best size but it took a couple dozen wears to get used to it. I can see how someone very OCD would struggle to get past that period.

jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2023, 01:27 PM   #107
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Funny thing is I had the opposite experience when trying on the aquanaut. The rubber just felt too stiff, though I did like how much the watch hugs your wrist. That’s the main adjustment of getting used to the OF, is that the fins make the bracelet sit off the wrist. But that’s what it’s exactly intended to do, and it really makes the watch feel snug without the watch head moving around without the bracelet being very tight.
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2023, 01:21 AM   #108
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollieo View Post
Funny thing is I had the opposite experience when trying on the aquanaut. The rubber just felt too stiff, though I did like how much the watch hugs your wrist. That’s the main adjustment of getting used to the OF, is that the fins make the bracelet sit off the wrist. But that’s what it’s exactly intended to do, and it really makes the watch feel snug without the watch head moving around without the bracelet being very tight.
What I bolded above was exactly my issue with the OF, I never like my watches to fit snug enough to not move on my wrist, plus you have now 2 specific pressure points on each side with the fins that I just felt all the time on my wrist. It bothered me to see the straps bulge out a bit on the sides also because of that... so I wear my aqua like my metal bracelets where I can fit one finger under my wrist and there's a bit of movement so on hotter days no problem

But goes to show different strokes! OF Daytonas are gorgeous. Probably best for anyone interested to try it for themselves since there can be such varying opinions
sampelligrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2023, 01:13 PM   #109
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What I bolded above was exactly my issue with the OF, I never like my watches to fit snug enough to not move on my wrist, plus you have now 2 specific pressure points on each side with the fins that I just felt all the time on my wrist. It bothered me to see the straps bulge out a bit on the sides also because of that... so I wear my aqua like my metal bracelets where I can fit one finger under my wrist and there's a bit of movement so on hotter days no problem

But goes to show different strokes! OF Daytonas are gorgeous. Probably best for anyone interested to try it for themselves since there can be such varying opinions
Agreed about the contact points with the fins, but it’s such a light touch it’s like thinking about the feeling of your socks on. It’s there but it’s so transparent.

My guess is that Rolex added the fins with the OF to hold the watch in place, which is really needed on a PM piece with a rubber bracelet. The watch head is just so heavy, and without it being secured it would move around a lot and feel unbalanced. I think the aquanaut is such a thin and light piece even in PM, that it almost just blends in with the rubber. It’s one of the lightest watches I’ve tried on.

I can see how some people don’t like the fins and the way it secures on the wrist. It’s definitely a different feel than other watches. I didn’t like it right away (when trying on at the AD), but after a day or two it’s really nice.
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 04:12 AM   #110
JustaWatcher
"TRF" Member

Just got mine recently.

It’s become one of my favorites.

I’m not sure I would buy a second Oysterflex model to add to the collection, but I think a robust collection needs one
JustaWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2023, 06:09 PM   #111
JPS
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500 White&Black
Pikachu looks lovely on the OF
JPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 12:22 PM   #112
EdgeMonster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
In 2022 there was a YT Video that’s since been scrubbed from the internet, where a guy took shears and cut open both pieces of an Oysterflex bracelet. It revealed something that was quite different that what Rolex has been telling the world. The “internal metal blade” is less than one millimeter thick. And it only starts immediately behind the spring bar holes to extend about 5-6 millimeters. That’s it. There’s really nothing to the Oysterflex…there is no metal interior skeleton. It’s just a rubber strap with a few millimeters of metal inside it to keep the part closest to the case where the spring bars attach as rigid as possible and then it’s a plain old rubber strap. Not quite what we’ve been led to believe….go ahead. Try to find ANY VIDEO where someone cuts open a Rolex Oysterflex strap. They don’t exist. At least not anymore they don’t…
EdgeMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2024, 07:12 AM   #113
Rolexnabzy
"TRF" Member

In the market for a Daytona OF....

I've been in the market for a Daytona OF since March or so....usual suspects on top of the list (Sorry in advance to those who are not fans of nicknames)...Pikachu, Ghost and PN....given the cost, especially as the retail AD price in Saudi being between 38-40k US and thus near gray market prices, needed to try all 3 on wrist before any purchase....

Luckily my AD contact is a very close friend of mine and over the past 4 months managed to provide all 3 models for a wrist check with the PN being the last model, which I tried on today. During this time I also had the chance to try the sundust/RG, white dial/YG and black dial/silver sub dials/WG.

Long story short, personal preference went to two yellow gold models, Pikachu and PN with the sundust being a suprise runner up as I never originally considered this model, an absolutely stunning piece....having said that anyone owning one of these 6 watches knows how fortunate they are.....

If things go to plan, possibly will be updating this post with an 'incoming' tomorrow....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20240612-WA0021.jpg (196.5 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20240705-WA0000.jpg (179.4 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20240704-WA0041.jpg (133.4 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20240703-WA0052.jpg (215.9 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20240703-WA0051.jpg (198.3 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20240704-WA0040.jpg (130.2 KB, 95 views)
Rolexnabzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2024, 11:10 AM   #114
Big_Red
"TRF" Member

Based on those pics the PN looks best.
Big_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2024, 11:13 AM   #115
Tqmb79
"TRF" Member

The oysterflex is amazing. It actually looks nicer than steel in my opinion, and very comfy. Yes it’s expensive for “rubber” but you get the watch in gold and also the clasp which is fairly substantial. Balances the weight nicely !
Tqmb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2024, 08:23 PM   #116
Neil McCauley
"TRF" Member

Ok, I folded, popped a Fauxsterflex strap on that I had lying around.

Can't make my mind up on it

Old Yesterday, 04:02 AM   #117
Rolexnabzy
"TRF" Member

Incoming......

Very happily picked up the PN on oysterflex today, was a tough call between the PN and Pikachu, but landed with the PN....by chance saw a Paul Newman book on the bookshelf in the side room we were in which made for some nice sentimental pics for the future....The watch was very easily adjusted to my wrist size and so far feels ultra comfy....the watch has an incredible amount of presence on the wrist matching both my celebration dial and skydweller....also as a first for me was the slightly bigger box...all in all a wonderful experience made so much better when the person delivering you the watch is a close friend
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20240705-WA0028.jpg (208.6 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20240705-WA0032.jpg (194.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20240705-WA0031.jpg (207.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20240705-WA0035.jpg (199.4 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20240705-WA0040.jpg (220.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20240705-WA0045.jpg (218.9 KB, 49 views)
Rolexnabzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:11 AM   #118
hojlund
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Love mine!
looks great, wear it in good health!
hojlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:26 AM   #119
jbsmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexnabzy View Post
Very happily picked up the PN on oysterflex today, was a tough call between the PN and Pikachu, but landed with the PN....by chance saw a Paul Newman book on the bookshelf in the side room we were in which made for some nice sentimental pics for the future....The watch was very easily adjusted to my wrist size and so far feels ultra comfy....the watch has an incredible amount of presence on the wrist matching both my celebration dial and skydweller....also as a first for me was the slightly bigger box...all in all a wonderful experience made so much better when the person delivering you the watch is a close friend
Huge congrats and great choice! Wear in good health. Mine says hello. I love the OF so much, I placed on my ss as well for more sporty look and to put the stock pcl bracelet away.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
jbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:40 AM   #120
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Any Daytona
I’ll be honest I like either, especially PM - love the Daytona on OysterFlex, but the WG and Platinum full bracelet looks amazing too ..
Paul Newman
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote