The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 February 2024, 02:06 AM   #91
Norbert
"TRF" Member

Same, never. I alway buy a watch with the intention to keep it. And I never buy a watch for its investment value. Unfortunately, my Rolex interest makes me look like a wannabe now that it's so popular. I started when Rolex was still under the radar and you could walk into a dealer and get a pretty good discount, and ship the box to another state to save on tax too.
Norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 07:56 PM   #92
geoach
"TRF" Member

Watch: one I'm wearing
if anyone buys with intention not to keep it is a flipper
geoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 02:01 AM   #93
TonyD
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Meteorite Daytona
I'll go against the grain here and say that I do sometimes buy a watch I may be "on the fence" about. If I love it then its a keeper. Worst case I can always sell it or trade it. I try not to just buy stuff and flip for a quick buck, but when there is no downside then why not?

Example white dial Sky Dweller. Was on the list for blue dial for 100 years. I was offered the white and went for it. Its been 4 years now and I'm glad I bought it. It may get traded soon but I wore it for a few years and will not take a loos on it. Who knows if I would have ever gotten blue.
Old 24 February 2024, 07:47 AM   #94
Pacamack
"TRF" Member

I’ve bought a couple of watches that I liked on paper (on the web) but once they were on my wrist I just didn’t connect with them and sold them on. The intent was always to keep and not to flip, they were low value anyway. I have one more in the collection that I might let go of and six others that are lifers.
Pacamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 08:31 AM   #95
zengineer
"TRF" Member

I've never bought a watch with a specific plan to sell it and definately never with the hope of making money. But I like variety and go through spurts of refining the small collection based on what I like while avoiding exceeding my personally imposed limit of 10 total.

I had a black non-GV Milgauss but fell for the simplicity of a 39mm Explorer. They were too similar to keep both so the Milgauss was sold. I went though 3 or 4 Speedmasters before settling on a few keepers. I haven't bought or sold anything for several years but it probably took 20 watches to settle on the 9 that I kept. Many were bought used. The only one I took a beating on was a Zenith bought new but even that wasn't to bad.
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 08:42 PM   #96
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexPatekCartier
Buying with intention of not keeping long term is a flipper mentality.

Buy what you like but yes you can change mind later, and sell it, in my case usually only to try to downsize or get another watch.
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 09:13 PM   #97
AD337
"TRF" Member

OP what you said makes perfect sense to me - no brainer - get it, try it, enjoy it for however long then let it go to someone else who will love it - nothing wrong with that
AD337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2024, 10:26 AM   #98
ArtVandelay0
"TRF" Member

Once again, glad to have some folks that know what I was talking about instead of just saying “if you don’t commit to a blood pact with a new watch, you’re a flipper!”

For what it’s worth, I tried on the watch Friday and ending up passing. I’m feeling a little regretful. It’s a 36mm OP, black dial, so by no means a hype watch but still selling enough above above retail that I don’t feel comfortable buying anytime I want.

For some reason in the store I wasn’t in love but now I’m regretting it. This market creates such fomo. I’m also realizing not many watches fill the void of the OP line (great bracelet, very limited polishing, water resistance, understated look but a great brand) - both by Rolex and by other brands.

Genuinely considering calling the AD tomorrow and seeing if they still have it (doubtful). Otherwise, maybe I’ll go for an older reference OP like the 116000 or the 114200.
ArtVandelay0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2024, 11:38 AM   #99
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ad337 View Post
op what you said makes perfect sense to me - no brainer - get it, try it, enjoy it for however long then let it go to someone else who will love it - nothing wrong with that
+1!
Rolex1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2024, 02:51 PM   #100
gtnator
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex1982 View Post
+1!

+2

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gtnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2024, 03:57 PM   #101
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

How often do you buy watches that you might not keep long-term?

I never buy a watch, knowing that I’m going to sell it later.
But also, I never buy a watch, knowing I’m going to keep it forever.

I never know if I’m going to *love* a watch unless I own it. And as far as I know, the only way to own a watch is to buy it.

I do not have unlimited money. I only want some of that money tied up in watches. It seems silly to me to tie up some of that limited money in a watch just because I liked it enough at some point in the past to buy it. If I no longer love it, it should be sold.

I’m buying the watch, not marrying it.

Hell, I feel like some people here have a higher level of commitment to watches than they do to spouses. Which is kind of insane.
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2024, 04:12 PM   #102
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Example: I have a Blue OP. I also like the Green OP. So I’m on the list for one. If I get offered it, I will buy it. I do not want two OPs. So if I wear the green OP and like it better than the blue one, I’ll keep it and sell the blue one. But if I don’t, I’ll sell it. I’ve got no problem with that, and I’ll buy it knowing full well it might be sold. If that make me a “flipper,” so be it. But better that than keeping two redundant watches, just because….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2024, 02:12 AM   #103
worldfamoussam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day Date II
I've done it more times than I'd like to admit, and I'd say predicting the longevity of a piece in my collection is not one of my stronger suits.

That said, I did once keep a watch for 6 years; or really, 8 years if you consider that the insurance had to replace it with the same one after I lost it.
Old 27 February 2024, 03:23 AM   #104
Lalo007
"TRF" Member

Its simple. If you are worried about selling the the watch later on and losing money on it then dont buy it. You are better off having that cash on hand for other purchases. Nothing is guaranteed when it comes to you getting that money back. The good thing about Rolex is that if you do end up selling a watch, you will get back at least a 60% of what you paid sometimes more depending on the model and of course if its a stainless steel Daytona you will get a return. Yeah you wont lose any money on some watches and we all know which ones they are. So I would say go ahead and buy the watch and wear it only if you are willing to lose some of the money you paid.
Lalo007 is offline   Reply With Quote