The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 April 2024, 01:21 PM   #91
Andad
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Favorite GMT is a my 116713LN.

Another boring bezel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04337r.jpg (245.8 KB, 334 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 01:33 PM   #92
Colorado_kid
2024 Pledge Member

I really dig the new GMT. It’s subtle and classy.

But I also love watches like the Bluesy.

They’re both good for different moods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Colorado_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 03:53 PM   #93
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFig View Post
If the Sub had a half gray bezel, I wouldn't want it either.
But imagine a Sub with an ALL gray bezel. Hot.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 05:51 PM   #94
rockysw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathematoxic View Post
In my opinion, without the colourful bezel, the amount of numbers on the bezel is really too much.
Agreed. people underestimate in my view the differnece between sub and gmt bezel. The amount of numbers and font size make a huge difference.
rockysw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 06:09 PM   #95
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
But imagine a Sub with an ALL gray bezel. Hot.
Yup, people used to spend a lot of time and effort ‘ghosting’ their Sub bezel inserts.
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 10:25 PM   #96
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
But you 'don't do flashy'?

Just 'wild'?

I thought I did sarcasm but apparently I'm wrong there too.
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 10:31 PM   #97
SpiritSoul
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio A500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathematoxic View Post
In my opinion, without the colourful bezel, the amount of numbers on the bezel is really too much.
they missed a trick and could have done "yellow" numbers and have a yellow GMT hand with that black and grey combo and you would have had the Original Batman :)
SpiritSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 10:40 PM   #98
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR Jubilee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_kid View Post
I really dig the new GMT. It’s subtle and classy.

But I also love watches like the Bluesy.

They’re both good for different moods.

New gmt and bluesy would make a fantastic pair!
Old 11 April 2024, 11:24 PM   #99
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

I miss my 116710 and wish I’d never sold it
Took the words right out of my mouth.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 11:01 AM   #100
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesharkfactor View Post
I’d have a Sub over a GRNR. ..but then I have a gmt already.

I have the BLNR and I’d jump on the black grey combo if I didn’t already have the BLNR. That said, the blue black makes the most logical sense for day and night IMHO.
Current Collection: Rolex 126619LB, 116710BLNR, and 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster and Planet Ocean 42; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Nomos Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & SuperOcean 44; Doxa 300 Pro Carbon; Stowa Limette; Laco Napa Flieger; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 11:42 AM   #101
Duke10
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub Date
K

Duke10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 12:10 PM   #102
georgew
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: mostly Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior View Post
Astute observation…and I’d add that the Pepsi Bezel, surprisingly for me, cuts the busyness of the numbers on the bezel best….because of the two non-black colors.
This right here are 2 spot on observations which mirror my experience. Having a number of subs, including LVs, also having a 16710 Pepsi sets it apart from the subs black bezel
georgew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 12:12 PM   #103
goodolejr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Favorite GMT is a my 116713LN.

Another boring bezel.
Awesome pic!
Old 24 June 2024, 12:48 PM   #104
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
I’ve tried every GMT and keep coming back to the 116718 although I do wish I’d kept my 116710LN. Bicolor bezels don’t seem to stick with me.
This is the answer, I have four of them and the one I’d never sell is the 116718.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 12:55 PM   #105
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

For some of us, the current GMT case size is a bit small. We are awaiting the 41 and then some will say the GRNR is just fabulous.
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 07:59 PM   #106
Neil McCauley
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlOver View Post
For some of us, the current GMT case size is a bit small. We are awaiting the 41 and then some will say the GRNR is just fabulous.
Something tells me 1mm won't make much of a difference, if it ever happens.

I must say, that's the first time I've heard anyone say the GMT is small, I have 7.5in wrists and still consider it a fairly large watch.
Neil McCauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 08:09 PM   #107
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post

I must say, that's the first time I've heard anyone say the GMT is small, I have 7.5in wrists and still consider it a fairly large watch.
Agreed

I own a 114060 and a 124060. They wear about the same on my 7” wrist. In fact I’d say the 40mm might wear a touch larger
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 08:31 PM   #108
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
its "dull", "boring", "uninspiring" "underwhelming", "too monochrome" etc, etc, etc.
I couldn't agree with you more.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 09:34 PM   #109
S.Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollie
It would have been better with an entirely black GMT bezel, grey is very dull to me.

The discontinued 116710LN is beautiful.
S.Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 11:24 PM   #110
JonnyOld Boy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The Submariner and Submariner date (you know the ones, SS and black on the Oyster bracelet) are praised my most on here as two of the greatest watches of all time - practically faultless.

The Sub's previous iteration with the thinner lugs is often the "classic" , "faultless" Sub. I think the new gen and the GMTs all have the same aesthetic DNA and look pretty much alike from a medium distance.

The one thing about the SUB debate , is why the no-date is not far more popular than it is and offered as a base model in it's own right with more colorways ... always baffled me. So much so that when I got a chance to chat to the European Events guys at Cowes Week I did mention it and was told : " Safety is often the buzz word in boardrooms " .. this was the year before "safety" was thrown out of the window and crayon coloured OP dials arrived. So I lived in hope that the No Date would get some new life ... still waiting.
JonnyOld Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 11:54 PM   #111
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
The OP’s premise is overly simplistic. Yes, both watches have bezels and, at a quick glance, are similar in appearance, but the two bezels are markedly different, and the GMT has a major complication that the Submariner does not. Because of that, the bezel color becomes, not only more important, but the bi-color scheme serves a distinct purpose. Apples and oranges, OP! Apples and oranges….. So, OP, don’t be ROFL, because your observation is fundamentally flawed, and not even remotely amusing.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 11:58 PM   #112
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
Sub for weekdays, GMT for weekend
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 12:07 AM   #113
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post

For sure 1mm is not much but the CHNR vs current sub just wears noticeably smaller. Some prefer larger watches. The Exp II and Skydweller are 42 so the 40 GMT is just a bit smaller and the 20mm GMT lug width contributes to this. I believe both ExpII and SD have 22mm lugs. This is my opinion and obviously others might love the proportions. I think the 20mm lugs on the GMT make a difference in making it just seem smaller. If Rolex went to 41mm case with 21mm lugs, the wearing impression would change significantly. It’s great to have options so that we can buy what we want.
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 12:22 AM   #114
Driver8
"TRF" Member

I tend to agree with the OP on a number of topics, but not on this occasion as the GMT simply isn't a Sub. So where the black and monochrome look is expected on the Sub, it's not expected so much these days on the GMT range.

Obviously I can't speak for others, but personally I think the GRNR is just quite an uninspired new release....which is probably where a lot of the negative comments come from. Basically taking a 116710LN and effectively decolouring one half of the bezel (and putting the newer movement inside) doesn't make for an exciting new release.

Personally I'd have liked it a lot more if they'd made the GMT wording and GMT hand a different colour (yes, even grey), but leaving it green exactly like the 116710LN, is the height of laziness IMO.

The BLNR, the BLRO, the VTNR all have distinctive colourful flourishes. The GRNR doesn't really, and also suffers a "parts-in" look to the dial and GMT hand.
Old 25 June 2024, 02:12 AM   #115
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baco Noir View Post
I have the BLNR and I’d jump on the black grey combo if I didn’t already have the BLNR. That said, the blue black makes the most logical sense for day and night IMHO.

That makes some sense, Roger, but why does watch design need to be logical? More importantly, though, how ARE you, my friend?

Kat

KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 02:19 AM   #116
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
That makes some sense, Roger, but why does watch design need to be logical? More importantly, though, how ARE you, my friend?

Kat

You're asking an engineer why things need to be logical???

I'm doing well, but very tired. We have been in our new house in western CO for about 3 weeks and between unpacking and cleaning up the landscaping, we've only taken 1 day off - I'm too old for this! We have a 20 cy rolloff showing up tomorrow for a 1 day rental to load out all the tree trimmings (have to finish that up today), as well as the other junk the previous owner left at the house - wood scraps, old RR ties, PVC piping scraps, old chairs behind the shed, two 55-gal barrels of what he called "potato soil", and more.

How have you been?
Current Collection: Rolex 126619LB, 116710BLNR, and 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster and Planet Ocean 42; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Nomos Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & SuperOcean 44; Doxa 300 Pro Carbon; Stowa Limette; Laco Napa Flieger; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 02:46 AM   #117
Lever Escapement
"TRF" Member

Also bearing in mind that the Submariner is a "Professional Diving Watch", and to live up to that name it has to comply with "ISO 6425".
Unidirectional Bezel, the numerals have to count up, (unlike a Tudor FXD where the numerals count down, used mainly for navigation), Clear/legible markings every 5 minutes, Lume pip at 12'oclock.In light, the diving time indicator has to be legible with a minimum of 50 lux. In the darkness, after exposure to light for 180 minutes and checked at a distance of 25cm, the time, the diving time, five-minute markings,the minute indicator should be clearly distinguishable from the hour indicator.The reading of the diving time is allowed an uncertainty of ±2.5 minutes, hence the need for luminous five-minute markings.
The sample watch has to be exposed to an air temperature of -20ºC. It shall then be placed at room temperature for 30 minutes. It should then be brought to an air temperature of +60ºC for 60 minutes, after which it should be submerged in water of +2ºC for another hour. After being removed from the water and wiped down, the watch must then undergo a condensation test according to ISO 22810. The test is considered successful if the watch still functions normally after this process.
Further requirements are to determine corrosion resistance by a salt spray test, as well as shock resistance properties, including being hit twice by a 3kg hammer with an impact velocity of 4.43 m/s and even a free-fall test from one meter onto a horizontal hardwood surface.
a condensation test according to yet another standard, ISO 22810:2010. Then, for type testing, the watch shall be submitted to the following procedure:
-Immerse in water at a depth of 30 cm
-Operate in water all of the mechanisms that are allowed to be used underwater (i.e. the bezel, not the crown and the pushers)
-Keep immersed for 24 hours
-Operate in water all of the mechanisms that are allowed to be used underwater once more
-Keep immersed for another 24 hours
-The watch shall then be removed from the water, wiped, and undergo the condensation test once again. After all these steps, the watch then should function normally.
Still underwater, but now with an overpressure of 25% above the indicated depth rating of the watch, a force of half a kilogram has to be generated to the crown and push-pieces. Of course, it’s allowed to have the crown and push-pieces locked or screwed down if they have that feature. This force has to be applied perpendicular to the crown and push-pieces for a duration of 10 minutes. Once again, the watch shall be removed from the water, wiped, undergo the condensation test, and should function normally.
Besides the resistance of the crown, the bracelet of the watch has to be tested as well. While closed, it has to withstand a force of 20 kilograms, pulled in both directions from the watch.
THEN.....
the test sequence that will simulate a dive to make sure the diver’s watch will be fit for the job. ISO calls it “resistance at a water overpressure”.

-Immerse the watch in water
-Apply an overpressure of 25% over the indicated rating of the watch. For example, if a watch is rated to 200 meters (20 bar), the pressure applied would be 25 bar. This pressure has to be applied within 10 minutes of submersion and shall be maintained for two hours.
-Then reduce the overpressure to 0.3 bar (mimicking a depth of three meters) within 60 seconds and maintain that for one hour.
The watch must function normally during and after the test. And should not fail the condensation test according to ISO 22810:2010 test after it has been wiped.

The other watch is a GMT
Lever Escapement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 02:47 AM   #118
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

First, it is a new release and all they did was change the color on half of the bezel. How exciting is that?

2nd part, let me tell you a story.

My Grandmother painted the house that her father built for her pink. And she left it that way forever.
My parents had been asking her to move down close to us so that we could help take care of her. She resisted for several years, then one day a train clipped the rear of her car and the state took away her drivers license. (Didn't really blame her myself, the crossing had no arm, no lights and the train came in at an angle from behind you.)

So, she finally agreed to move down by us, since she could not drive, and had to sell the only (pink) house she had lived in during her adult life.

After a half a year or so, my mother took her up there so she could visit some friends.
She was eating lunch with a friend in the house across the street from the one that she had sold.

The new owner came over to see her and said "Greta, what do you think of the new paint color of the house?" With some trepidations. (Anyone that knew her knew that it was blasphemy.)

Without looking up from her bowl of soup, my Grandmother said, "I suppose it's all right........ If you like gray."

With that simple sentence I think it says it all. It's not that gray is monochromatic, it is that gray is the most neutral color there is. Who says that gray is there favorite color?

I've heard black, white, yellow, red orange, purple, green, brown, pink. But I have never heard someone say, "Yeah, gray is my favorite color."
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 02:57 AM   #119
StackLexus17
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Great watch.

One of the better two tone GMTs.
Other would be the Rose Gold & SS 126711CHNR
StackLexus17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 08:26 AM   #120
Cambo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Grand Seiko
Quote:
The Submariner and Submariner date (you know the ones, SS and black on the Oyster bracelet) are praised my most on here as two of the greatest watches of all time - practically faultless.

Rolex release the GMT Master GRNR in SS (basically the same colour scheme albeit with a half grey bezel and not forgetting the more interesting jubilee bracelet option) and its "dull", "boring", "uninspiring" "underwhelming", "too monochrome" etc, etc, etc.

Can’t really argue this one.