The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 June 2024, 05:40 AM   #91
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
The one thing I appreciate with ADs is honestly. If you can get me the watch, great. If you tell me it will be awhile, fine. But if it isn’t really a possibility, like the SS Daytona for me, just be honest and I can mentally move on.

People say this, but we have seen many threads where the SA has said, “you’re never getting a [x watch] and they are upset about that too.”
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 12:55 PM   #92
Olive Drab
"TRF" Member

Watch: Timex Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Sorry to hear your experience. I get treated like gold at Henne Jewelers and I am not even close to a big spender there.
Kyle treated me the same, got me a watch quickly, and im only there for business 6x a year.
Olive Drab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 01:03 PM   #93
Olive Drab
"TRF" Member

Watch: Timex Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
Yeah. This isn’t true. My SA is young and was hired at the AD during the pandemic. When I first came in, some would have probably said he was aloof. I just saw it as, “we get scads of people asking about the same watches. The only way you’re going to get one is to be an established customer or wait a long long time.”
I took it as honesty and appreciated it. I bought a Tudor, which I wore the hell out of and came in like once a quarter. I bought watches at other places and wore them in the store and chatted about them. If I wanted a watch that they sold, I bought it there. If I wanted one they didn’t sell, I bought it elsewhere. When I needed a specific Cartier last minute for my wife’s birthday, he tracked it down in 24 hours. When I wanted a Zenith, he put me in touch with a friend at another AD who got me a sizable discount.
Once i was established myself (I am not a big spender by any stretch) I got some decent allocations. I’m happy, they are happy. All is good.

If you’re coming in and asking for the same watch that ten other people have asked for that day, I don’t see why anyone would expect to walk out with something.

Maybe I’m an AD apologist, but my strategy has worked for me.
Ive been looking for a Zenith but no ADs in the area. Would you mind sharing the name as I am in the market for a chrono
Olive Drab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 04:12 PM   #94
ArtieFufkinPolymer
"TRF" Member

I posted the following in the joke section a year ago

Seems apt that I share this here. Differences between Rolex and Omega SAs

https://youtube.com/shorts/8o9LkvF6QQA?feature=share
ArtieFufkinPolymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 04:12 PM   #95
ArtieFufkinPolymer
"TRF" Member

I posted the following in the joke section a year ago

Seems apt that I share this here. Differences between Rolex and Omega SAs

https://youtube.com/shorts/8o9LkvF6QQA?feature=share
ArtieFufkinPolymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 08:32 PM   #96
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
People say this, but we have seen many threads where the SA has said, “you’re never getting a [x watch] and they are upset about that too.”
My AD told me I would never get a 116610LV, I went grey. My AD later said my chances of getting a SS black Sky Dweller were next to zero (at the time) and I went grey. I wanted them so I bought them. Pity I couldn't get them at MSRP or under, but once established, that fact was irrelevant.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 10:33 PM   #97
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
AD’s attitudes

Another problem with these threads is that we never hear the other side of the story.

One of my wife’s friends is going through a nasty divorce. When she’s at our house, all we ever hear is her side of the story. We never hear his point of view. It’s the same thing. We hear how rude the AD was, but is that really true?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 10:37 PM   #98
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
I simply don’t participate in the Rolex AD experience anymore.

I’ve moved on to other brands and happier for it.

AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2024, 12:24 AM   #99
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I remember one time going to my AD after they had added an appointment only feature to the store. Of course all the high end retailers in the same center had moved to a similar setup with armed security and a hospitality person outside at a kiosk with the door roped off.

I was sitting around outside waiting for my appointment and a customer walks up and wants to go in. They explain to him he needs an appointment and they can slot him in at such and so time.

The guy started yelling, “I can’t believe this &&&& I have spent X at this store this is $$$&@?! $&&!!@@&”. Note that X was what I’d consider to be small if not laughable spend at this store for the area.

You gotta know where you’re at! I have met a few of the “big” customers from my AD who have spent my lifetime spend in 2-3 years. So when I don’t get something I know who is getting it instead and congrats to them!

In the catalog hype watches exist as chase pieces. When you can walk in and buy whatever you want then the brand is not strong. What would happen to demand for SS Rolex professional be if there were no hoops to jump through other than coming up with the cash to buy it?

I’m not sure. There is a reason why Hermes doesn’t make all quota bags. If you can walk in and buy a quota bag off the street, how many people want them? I suspect you’d sell as many as you could make for a short time and then the brand would die out.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2024, 01:27 AM   #100
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
Another problem with these threads is that we never hear the other side of the story.

One of my wife’s friends is going through a nasty divorce. When she’s at our house, all we ever hear is her side of the story. We never hear his point of view. It’s the same thing. We hear how rude the AD was, but is that really true?

I imagine someone coming into the store:

“I’d like a Panda Daytona, can you pack it up for me right now?”

SA: [slight chuckle]. “That watch has a significant waitlist, I can’t sell it to you right now. I’m happy to put you on a list. Can I show you anything else.”

Customer comes back to TRF: “THE SA LAUGHED IN MY FACE!!!”
Old 17 June 2024, 02:16 AM   #101
Slade_M
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Sorry to hear your experience. I get treated like gold at Henne Jewelers and I am not even close to a big spender there.
Same for me at Orrs! Always very nice and pleasant. Also very straight forward and realistic.
Slade_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2024, 04:47 PM   #102
laphroaig007
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 & PAM372
Instead of dwelling on it, I decided to move on and found another who provided better treatment. I have no complaints about my current; their service has been exceptional.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 19 June 2024, 05:51 PM   #103
btwistround
"TRF" Member

My AD is DMR in Liverpool.

I'm not a big spender. Some jewellery and a Tudor.

Been on the list for the past few years for a 36 green dial OP. I think it was the year after they were launched that I put my name down.

Yes, I'm one of the rare ones who isn't after the sports models.

Still waiting. I pop in every now and then for a catch up, but nothing. Goldsmiths laughed at me when I mentioned the 36OP.

Could always use that rage as motivation and build your business to a point where they have to bend over backwards for you... then you can return the favour and tell them they need a spend history!
btwistround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 02:13 AM   #104
~Ocho1~
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceProf View Post
Do you mind mentioning which grey dealer you purchased from? Would you recommend them?
I purchased a DJ41 from Takuya & more recently an Explorer I from OCRolexguy.

Would definitely recommend both of them. Both are great guys with fast, easy communication.
~Ocho1~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 02:24 AM   #105
~Ocho1~
"TRF" Member

Let me start by saying that no AD has ever been rude to me. I'm always nice to people in general, they're just doing their job & I know how the market is nowadays & if they do not have the watch I want I do not take it personal. It's just how things are today.

So apart from the girl at the Rolex boutique which I posted earlier in the thread, there's another story I have, which I found an amusing experience:

I was in Virginia for a work meeting. I had noticed an AD a few blocks away from the hotel, so the day I was leaving I walked over in the morning before I had to leave to airport, just to see what, if anything, they had.

This SA was really pompous, he literally says to me "oh, you just can't buy a Rolex, you need to buy a bunch of other jewelry & build up a relationship. A Rolex is a reward for being a good customer"

I straight up laughed at him & said "yeah, neither my wife or I are into jewelry. Before spending my money on a bunch of jewelry we don't want I'll just spend that money on a grey dealer mark up & get the watch I want immediately"

The look on his face still makes me smile, lol.
~Ocho1~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 02:39 AM   #106
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
We do, it just moves quickly down the page as more posts and/or threads get added.

As I have mentioned on numerous occasions, when I went in to collect my TT CHNR from my AD's Rolex in store boutique, there was a couple buying his and hers DJs and another customer picking up what looked like a Sub Date. The next slot after me was a bloke coming to pick up his blue SS Sky Dweller.

As I walked out I briefly made eye contact with another SA by way of a good bye, who was pinned to a wall by a bloke complaining loudly that he couldn't get a Daytona and if the SA would just tell him how much to spend to get one he would do the transaction immediately. Needless to say, he didn't get his Daytona.

Five happy customers spending maybe £40-50k inside an hour on Rolex and one disgruntled complainer. Which of these do you think was making the most noise?
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 03:14 AM   #107
Gandalf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well in reality its the buyers fault some think they got to treat ADs as some sort of god. And must do what ever the AD states to buy a mass produced watch, and as their are many willing to play these ADs games. Cannot blame the ADs for jumping on the AD kiss ar#se extra money off buyer bandwagon. Now if prospective buyers stopped playing these ADs games, as in the real world they are just shops that sells watches nothing more perhaps we could get back to normally.

Classic Prisoner’s Dilemma. If nobody played the AD games we’d all be better off. But if nobody else was playing the AD games, some people would and they would get the best allocations, leaving everyone else out. So everyone plays the AD games and we’re all worse off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Gandalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 03:18 AM   #108
PeteNYC13
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
It's an ongoing and good topic that the forum is designed for IMHO.
As a business leader, I get both sides of this... I shouldn't have to "beg" or buy extra crap to get a watch, however, supply and demand rule the day and thus we get this every so often debated on here.

I have had good experience with an AD that I spent a lot (to me) of money with on watches and bracelets and an engagement ring - I was "lucky" enough to have him sell me a SS Daytona...with a bit of an attitude. I politely told him that he wasn't doing me a favor, I was paying full retail for a highly desirable watch after many years of being a good, not great customer. We never had to have that discussion again.

Now, the second part of that is all of the "Find a trusted seller and pay more" people... they have no realization that they ARE a huge part of that problem. The dealers sell the desirable watches to the Grey dealer as long as they buy some of the other stuff they are trying to move. Now the Grey can charge more, the dealer has nothing to sell me and we become unhappy.

Summary, my last two Rolexs have been non AD -solely due to the fact that I wanted older models and took time to shop for good deals. I love the new Wimbledon and Sky Dweller, I have zero desire to pay more from a "trusted seller" and i'll wait until I can buy one from an AD with the security and comfort of buying a band new Rolex.

I love these passionate topics.
SS Black Dial Daytona M116520
SS Explorer II D16570
PeteNYC13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 03:18 AM   #109
AEV
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
Haven't bought a Rolex for few years now and paired down to 2 only. At some point I was in touch and have bought from 4 different ones in 4 different counties.
Can't be bothered anymore, I don't even visit ADs when I travel.

If Rolex goes retail only with the Bucherer stores and cuts majority of the ADs, then it will be a different story.
AEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 03:21 AM   #110
Neil McCauley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEV View Post
If Rolex goes retail only with the Bucherer stores and cuts majority of the ADs, then it will be a different story.
I doubt it, companies like Hermes have the same processes, nothing would change, other than the odd outward sale to a grey dealer under the table, which, probably happens a lot less than we fantasize that it does.
Old 21 June 2024, 04:04 AM   #111
Brich436
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124270
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEV View Post
Haven't bought a Rolex for few years now and paired down to 2 only. At some point I was in touch and have bought from 4 different ones in 4 different counties.
Can't be bothered anymore, I don't even visit ADs when I travel.

Each Rolex AD as it stands now sells on average 600 watches per year. Bucherer cannot handle the volume nor expand to a level to handle that much business. Acquiring some of the most expensive store locations in the world would be costly and time consuming. While they may pare back the number of ADs I doubt highly they will get rid of them.

AP sells 50,000 watches a year this way.

Rolex sells 1.2M watches a year. Whole different ballgame.

TUDOR: M79030-B Black Bay 58
Brich436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 04:15 AM   #112
EL Diablo
"TRF" Member

I don't deal with the AD's anymore.
Went Grey and never looked back.
EL Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 06:36 AM   #113
Rhejen
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Wimbledon
It's like it is with everything else. You are going to have some bad apples. Some of them know that they can sale the pieces to anyone so they look at it like you have to earn the right to purchase from them. Some of them actually handle things correctly though and don't dangle it like a carrot so that you will continue spending a bunch of money for the opportunity to get what you want.
Rhejen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 07:57 AM   #114
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

If Rolex sells everything they make, is an AD relevant?

Couldn't Rolex sell everything on-line and cut out all the middlemen?

Personally, the "luxury experience" of buying from an AD is overrated.

Of the four Rolexes I have purchased, only one was via AD in 2001. Two of the three others were grey dealers on-line and these transactions were just as satisfactory.

I would imagine most of the grey dealer purchases are made with some on-line component. What is preventing Rolex from doing this?
Laine V38 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 SS - Baltic Aquascaphe SS
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 08:12 AM   #115
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to get any big ticket items, because I'm not a big spender.
But getting an Explorer, Ranger and BB58 was not a problem.
Old 21 June 2024, 08:34 AM   #116
L_S_SHOE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
AD’s attitudes

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlam View Post

Of the four Rolexes I have purchased, only one was via AD in 2001. Two of the three others were grey dealers on-line and these transactions were just as satisfactory.

I would imagine most of the grey dealer purchases are made with some on-line component. What is preventing Rolex from doing this?

They’d sell everything but it would be difficult to keep people from buying more than one, flipping, etc. The AD structure also inserts some exclusivity into the mix, and we all know that Rolex has an unhealthy obsession with exclusivity.

I agree that buying (or trying to buy) from an AD is unpleasant. If I were Rolex, and if I wanted to improve watch availability (which they don’t), I would simply stop honoring warranties on any watch not purchased from an AD and I would make warranties nontransferable. I feel like this, plus current market conditions, would shift supply back to the ADs.

L_S_SHOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 09:51 AM   #117
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
AD’s attitudes

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlam View Post

It would make supply/demand issues a lot worse. If you think people are mad now, just imagine how frustrated everyone would be when literally every watch on their web site says, “SOLD OUT!”

Fact is, selling online wouldn’t increase supply and it wouldn’t reduce demand. Actually, it would undoubtedly exacerbate the demand/supply dynamics.

It’s far better for us consumers if they distribute their inventory across the globe via their authorized dealers.

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 10:08 AM   #118
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_S_SHOE View Post
They’d sell everything but it would be difficult to keep people from buying more than one, flipping, etc. The AD structure also inserts some exclusivity into the mix, and we all know that Rolex has an unhealthy obsession with exclusivity.

I agree that buying (or trying to buy) from an AD is unpleasant. If I were Rolex, and if I wanted to improve watch availability (which they don’t), I would simply stop honoring warranties on any watch not purchased from an AD and I would make warranties nontransferable. I feel like this, plus current market conditions, would shift supply back to the ADs.

Pretty sure this isn’t legal in many jurisdictions.

Old 21 June 2024, 10:14 AM   #119
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It would make supply/demand issues a lot worse. If you think people are mad now, just imagine how frustrated everyone would be when literally every watch on their web site says, “SOLD OUT!”

Fact is, selling online wouldn’t increase supply and reduce demand. Actually, it would undoubtedly exacerbate the demand/supply dynamics.

It’s far better for us consumers if they distribute their inventory across the globe via their authorized dealers.

People suggest a bunch of things that they think would alleviate the problem that would undoubtedly make the situation worse.

First come first served sounds great, but it just ensures that the only people that would get watches would be the people that have time to stake out ADs. Or have the money to pay people to do this. I.e. flippers.

Selling online means whoever writes the best bot scrips get the watches. If I want one or two watches, not really worth it. But if I want to flip hundreds? No brainer.

The problem is, there are more people that want these watches than watches available. Until that changes, it’s going to be the same regardless of distribution method.
Old 21 June 2024, 10:15 AM   #120
L_S_SHOE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Quote:
Pretty sure this isn’t legal in many jurisdictions.

I’m not sure about jurisdictions outside the United States, but it’s common for warranties on goods and services purchased here to be nontransferable.
L_S_SHOE is offline   Reply With Quote