The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old Today, 06:50 AM   #121
FinanceProf
"TRF" Member

Bought my wife a Tudor Claire De Rose with the diamond dial and a Tissot for my daughter…..

Would be a long-term customer and spend many thousands more AFTER being allocated a Rolex, but I’m not going to spend a pile of money to still get a “no”.

This thread introduced me to the gray market. I bought my new, still stickered, Omega 300M from DavidSW. The customer experience was good though a little pricier than the average on chrono24 or WatchCharts.

I’d rather be an ADs customer….but now have more comfort with the idea of gray.
FinanceProf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:59 AM   #122
greenmachine17
"TRF" Member

Recently Mayors in Boca Raton had several men’s Rolex watches available to walk ins, if you don’t mind the drive from NW FL. Worth a shot at retail prices and staff was very friendly. Plus had Rolex magazine #12 available.
greenmachine17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:54 AM   #123
kopi-c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingInTheDeep View Post
I was of this mindset as well. But what happens if you're not looking to "collect" whatever you can get your hands on the one watch you do want is going to be discontinued and you don't want to buy a used piece?

What's the difference between what we are discussing and those that buy luxury or exotic cars from indy dealers instead of the licensed dealership?

As I said before, Rolex has done a great job getting people to believe that the only way to buy a Rolex is through an AD. Most desired watches across Rolex, PP, and AP are being acquired by the very people that can afford dumping cash on jewelry by going through a reputable dealer who has an AD relationship and splits the profit or is getting brand new pieces from those that "got the call". There's then the .00000X% that get the off catalog pieces through the AD who happen to be the jewelry store's top 1 or 2 client from a revenue perspective.

The fact is that those people are dealing with people they know and trust, which is why it's hard to be a newbie going secondary market. Also, keep in mind that a watch sold from some rando unknown person online hiding behind a fake name is different than someone who can be tracked down and charged with fraud. Further, the new warranty cards have a specific feature that to my understanding cannot currently be replicated.
fair enough and valid points.
New buyers could obtain most current production watch from the AD if they're patience enough and follow up once in a while. However, those popular watches GMT or Daytona could take some luck and pre-spend history..

Maybe the only time I will consider buying from secondary market if the watch is either discontinued and/or at below MSRP.
kopi-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:11 AM   #124
FL2024
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126622 & 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceProf View Post
Please don't take the following as a complaint...I'm genuinely looking for some guidance from someone who has "cracked the code" before me, or someone who can offer suggestions that I'm not smart enough to have thought about.

My story:

I've wanted to own a Rolex watch "when I grow up" since I was a kid (for very personal reasons I won't go into here).

Fast forward 40 years and I'm the CEO of a company in Europe (living in NW Germany as a US expatriate).

I started visiting the AD in Oldenburg (Juweliere Mahlberg-Meyer) on the weekends. I was interested in an Air King or a Datejust. After a number of visits, I managed to get the salesperson to say the quiet part out loud. "No, there really is no list, and no, you are not getting a watch from us". That was discouraging and crushed a lifelong dream, but I was thankful that at least he was honest. I wondered if it was because I am an American and therefore won't be a lifelong Germany resident and customer for them.

After retiring from my CEO job, I came home to Michigan. I had substantial net worth (CEO golden parachute) and wanted to begin collecting Rolex watches. I would have been willing to spend $100k to buy 5-6 watches so that I could have a rotation to wear during the week.

I started visiting two ADs, Tappers Jewelry and Rottermond Jewelers (suburbs of Detroit). I was still looking to break the ice with that first Datejust or Air King. A year or two later, no watch.

Now I live in NW Florida (retired here). My closest AD is Jewelers Trade Shop. I'm "on the list" for a bluesy 16613LB which is a little more expensive and so I have heard that it's easier to get? More than a year later, still no watch.

I'm ready to buy the bluesy from the grey market, and then just give up on Rolex entirely after that. My problem is, I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell a real Rolex from a "super fake" and I don't want to be taken advantage of.

My questions for you all:

1) How do I crack the code with an AD? FYI - I'm not going to buy a bunch of jewelry I don't want to hope to be "allowed" to buy a Rolex, but if someone will sell me a Rolex watch collection, I am a $100,000 customer over the next couple years.

2) If grey market is my only option, how do you GUARANTEE yourself that you didn't buy a very well executed fake?

3) If I give up on Rolex entirely, what brand would all of you Rolex fans say is the best investment watch and similar in quality (a watch worth putting in my will for my sons)?

Thanks in advance!
Sounds like you just want to brag about your wealth lol
FL2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:22 AM   #125
Rollieplz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmachine17 View Post
Recently Mayors in Boca Raton had several men’s Rolex watches available to walk ins, if you don’t mind the drive from NW FL. Worth a shot at retail prices and staff was very friendly. Plus had Rolex magazine #12 available.
What types did they have availability for walk ins?
Rollieplz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:54 PM   #126
FinanceProf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmachine17 View Post
18 hours round trip to drive….Lol….too far.

Could fly into Miami and rent a car.

I’ve always been told that ADs try to sell only to “local” customers. Is that urban legend?
FinanceProf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:07 PM   #127
greenmachine17
"TRF" Member

Boca had a TT Wimbledon, TT Datejusts. Just showed me what was available, didn’t ask if I was local.
greenmachine17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:07 PM   #128
Zach69SS
"TRF" Member

Op, some very good points have been made on this tread. Welcome to TRF , first
With me, I would never go grey at any price, it ruins the Rolex experience for me.

None of the trusted sellers here would sell you a fake watch, they have too much to lose and they are real businesses DavidSW is very big company and as a CEO you understand the implications of doing this. Legal,Reputation, etc…..

Since you have waited this long, I believe your problem has been the AD you have chosen and some back luck, market conditions 3 years ago. The AD is the most important part in this equation and it can mean the difference between success and failure. So choose wisely.

The whole Rolex purchasing process can be very frustrating but you should keep trying once you make that first purchase it will get easier. Keep trying and follow up.
Once you have a relationship things will change and the market is also changing right now, a DJ or a bluesy should not be that hard to get. There is no secret code or handshake to buy a Rolex.

I have been there myself and have been a watch enthusiast all of my life, all the AD games and nonsense spend history.. This was never the case in the past.

Happy Hunting,
Zach69SS is offline   Reply With Quote