The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 February 2024, 12:12 PM   #121
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akacoke View Post
100%. Do update this thread when you get your panda. Im having a bet with my wife. I betting on youd get it by Aug. She said the AD will never call you for another hard piece ever.
I've passed on other watches before from them; it's no hard feelings, and they've clearly expressed that to me each time.
I've heard stories of other people passing on several pieces (although none as hard to get), and still be offered others. My AD cares about getting people what they want, within their power. They've never suggested buying crap I don't want or that they have the churn and burn mentality that some ADs seem to have nowadays. I've been a customer for several years as well.
I think they're going to take care of me!

I will certainly revive this thread with my incoming when it happens!
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 02:42 PM   #122
alex.cicollo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few
You did exactly the right thing. I passed a Daytona I didn’t want before and the one I wanted did arrive a couple of months later.
alex.cicollo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 11:28 PM   #123
stevestil
"TRF" Member

Buy what you like, although Black dial is the way to go on this new reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stevestil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2024, 02:20 AM   #124
time_and_cars
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBolton View Post
Well, this got a lot more response activity than I anticipated and don’t have time to answer everyone. I appreciate those with positive support.

I talked to my SA again earlier (the “incident” happened Saturday last week), and I told him how I’ve somewhat been second guessing myself. He reassured me not to and reiterated again how they’re going to get me the white dial fairly soon. I asked if by June, and he said he doesn’t know about that, but again said how he truly thinks it will be by the end of the year. I asked if not by the end of this year, then next year? And he said “definitely.”

I jokingly told him how I’ve had people tell me how I messed up, and he told me to rub my panda in their faces when I get it in. All is sounding very promising still!

Damn that even sounds worse OP makes a terrible mistake
Rolex Daytona 126500LN/Rolex 126710BLRO/Rolex 126720VTNR/Rolex 126710BLNR/Rolex Oyster 126000/Breitling B01 CHRONOGRAPH 43 CURTISS WARHAWK/Omega“SILVER SNOOPY AWARD” 50TH ANNIVERSARY/Some Swatch x omega x blancpain
time_and_cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2024, 03:00 AM   #125
Socalwatchguy
"TRF" Member

I don't think it is ever a mistake passing on the piece that you did not truly want....

I had a similar situation for a PM daytona that was offered to me 4 months ago - I am still waiting for the piece I want.

Do I regret it? No.

It will be that much sweeter when I get the call for the piece I really wanted
Socalwatchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2024, 03:03 AM   #126
cht
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
I've passed on other watches before from them; it's no hard feelings, and they've clearly expressed that to me each time.
I've heard stories of other people passing on several pieces (although none as hard to get), and still be offered others. My AD cares about getting people what they want, within their power. They've never suggested buying crap I don't want or that they have the churn and burn mentality that some ADs seem to have nowadays. I've been a customer for several years as well.
I think they're going to take care of me!

I will certainly revive this thread with my incoming when it happens!
Yeah…. Best to you. Like your optimism.

Don’t forget, the dealer has no obligation to get you that watch, ever.

if you spend any time on this forum reading through other peoples threads, you’ve seen so many people have posted stories about how they wasted many years with promises from authorized dealers, telling them they’re going to get them a piece and it never ever transpires.

Good luck….and in the end…it’s just a watch.
cht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2024, 04:25 AM   #127
ShamRockNRoll
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Polar Explorer II
Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinions, and how they would have handled the situation, but I am astounded at the tone and just outright rudeness of many of these replies.

OP, it seems like even many of the polite dissenters glossed over the context you provided about having a long and positive relationship with this AD and SA, which in my mind justifies your decision. I think obviously if the choice was right for you that's all that matters, though I understand why many would have pulled the trigger on the black dial right away.
ShamRockNRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2024, 04:33 AM   #128
AI bot
Banned

Quote:
Well, this got a lot more response activity than I anticipated and don’t have time to answer everyone. I appreciate those with positive support.

I jokingly told him how I’ve had people tell me how I messed up, and he told me to rub my panda in their faces when I get it in. All is sounding very promising still!
Obviously you did expect exactly the “negative “ reaction, “I turned down an SS Daytona, nothing to see here” lol

Yes rubbing it in people’s faces, typical hype watch stuff and exactly what this thread is designed for.
AI bot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2024, 06:17 PM   #129
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

No point in asking a bunch of strangers if you made the right decision as it's really about how you feel. I also wouldn't buy something i didn't really want except if i really plan of flipping it for profits. You did the right thing to wait it out especially if the manager confirmed you'll get the white one soon.
John Doyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2024, 06:42 PM   #130
Divingdeep87
"TRF" Member

To make this thread right again - My AD texted me a couple of days ago they have a Daytona for me the 15 of March - I asked witch color and they said black and we could always add the white.
Divingdeep87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2024, 11:09 PM   #131
77T
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Got the Call I've Waited Years for... and Passed

I think I would have done what OP did if my AD offered me a white dial when I wanted a black dial.

So no mistake by the OP IMHO…

I’ve been waiting for the black and continue to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2024, 01:22 AM   #132
Dave O
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI bot View Post
Obviously you did expect exactly the “negative “ reaction, “I turned down an SS Daytona, nothing to see here” lol

Yes rubbing it in people’s faces, typical hype watch stuff and exactly what this thread is designed for.
You really need to read the OP's thread a little bit closer. He was simply sharing his story. And his story is similar with what many of us have lived through and anguished over as well. That is, what do you do if offered a prized watch which really isn't the one you pine for. It takes a lot of discipline to do what he did, and I applaud him for that.

I am also to the point in my watch collecting journey that I would do the same. That's because while building my relationship with my AD, it was made clear to me that I am not their only customer. They simply can't allocate me all of the desirable watches they receive. They have to be spread out to other customers as well. Once I accept a desirable watch from them, I now realize it will be some time before it's my turn again. And this is exactly what the OP understands, which is why he is holding out for the one he truly desires.

Could he flip it, and then purchase a white dial via the grey market? Sure. But his relationship with his AD would be gone. I'm sure this is something he (or I) would not be willing to do.

So a big thanks to the OP for sharing his story.
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2024, 03:52 AM   #133
Michael T
2024 Pledge Member

I think if you are confident you keep your place in line. I would ask how many are in front of you for a white one as they are slightly more popular (at least in gray prices). I would also want to be confident they will keep their Rolex franchise while you wait. Probably a low probability, but high severity, if it happened.
Michael T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2024, 04:03 AM   #134
GrailTime
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN
I think this all depends on the sales assistant. If they are someone who has got a long history at that AD and they are unlikely to leave, then I would’ve thought that the promise should hold. If you sell, assist leaves, you might be in trouble.

But what if there is a sales assistant at that AD that has clients with higher spending histories? They may have clients who also want the panda, and therefore take priority over you.

My understanding is that when watches come in, the manager will decide the allocation. Your sales assistant may lobby for you to have it. But what if there’s another sales assistant with a client who buys day dates on the regular?

I hope though you get the panda.
GrailTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2024, 04:07 AM   #135
GrailTime
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael T View Post
I think if you are confident you keep your place in line. I would ask how many are in front of you for a white one as they are slightly more popular (at least in gray prices). I would also want to be confident they will keep their Rolex franchise while you wait. Probably a low probability, but high severity, if it happened.
The list doesn’t exist. The ADs have a CRM system. They have the clients names, spend history, profession, interests etc in there.

When I watch comes up, like a Daytona. Each sales assistant will lobby for their client to get that watch. There may be some horse trading in the process, with the manager, making the final decision.

That is why everyone encourages you to keep in contact with your sales assistant. If it was just a first come first serve list, you could ask where you stood in a list.
GrailTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2024, 04:09 AM   #136
yankeeromeo
2024 Pledge Member

Take the black sell and buy the white.
yankeeromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2024, 04:24 AM   #137
EEpro

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeromeo View Post
Take the black sell and buy the white.

With dealer premiums you'll be $10,000 apart though.
Old 26 February 2024, 04:56 AM   #138
dardeca
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Both are great...no wrong choice. I do, however, find the black dial a bit harder to read for my 50 year old eyes. The silver minute/hour hands just blend into the black dial a bit more than I prefer. White is definitely more legible.
dardeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2024, 09:29 AM   #139
Norbert
"TRF" Member

I'm going mistake here. Don't turn down the hottest watch on the market!
Norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2024, 09:48 AM   #140
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
You really need to read the OP's thread a little bit closer. He was simply sharing his story. And his story is similar with what many of us have lived through and anguished over as well. That is, what do you do if offered a prized watch which really isn't the one you pine for. It takes a lot of discipline to do what he did, and I applaud him for that.

I am also to the point in my watch collecting journey that I would do the same. That's because while building my relationship with my AD, it was made clear to me that I am not their only customer. They simply can't allocate me all of the desirable watches they receive. They have to be spread out to other customers as well. Once I accept a desirable watch from them, I now realize it will be some time before it's my turn again. And this is exactly what the OP understands, which is why he is holding out for the one he truly desires.

Could he flip it, and then purchase a white dial via the grey market? Sure. But his relationship with his AD would be gone. I'm sure this is something he (or I) would not be willing to do.

So a big thanks to the OP for sharing his story.
Thank you. This is exactly it. I don't see why everyone has a doomsday level of pessimistic outlook on the situation. I don't want to "shoot my shot" on a piece that I'm not as obsessed about, knowing that it would delay the one I'm really after.
All I wanted to do was share with my fellow enthusiasts the story of passing on one of my dream pieces to get my stainless Rolex grail--and how difficult that was for me to do after years of waiting. I'm not trying to rub it in anyone's face, show off that I got that call, or anything of a rude nature.
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2024, 02:06 PM   #141
Watchsprings
"TRF" Member

I admire your restraint and nerves of steel to hold out for your grail. I really hope that AD comes through for you!
Watchsprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2024, 02:10 PM   #142
Tom Arai
Banned

I like the black one better but it is your choice who knows what the future brings.
Tom Arai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2024, 02:43 PM   #143
gtnator

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
Got the Call I've Waited Years for... and Passed

You made the right choice. If you would have taken the black, you would guarantee not getting the white. Now you have a high chance of getting the white, which is the one you want.

(Taking the black and trading it for a white at a grey market or aftermarket dealer isn’t for everyone. Some people would rather purchase from a local AD).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gtnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2024, 04:18 PM   #144
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffs View Post
The list doesn’t exist. The ADs have a CRM system. They have the clients names, spend history, profession, interests etc in there.

When I watch comes up, like a Daytona. Each sales assistant will lobby for their client to get that watch. There may be some horse trading in the process, with the manager, making the final decision.

That is why everyone encourages you to keep in contact with your sales assistant. If it was just a first come first serve list, you could ask where you stood in a list.
Lists do exist. Maybe your AD doesn’t keep them but mine does.
Of course it’s not 100% chronological but once you are told you are on that list it is mostly in order with an occasional VVIP line jumper which doesn’t happen often. SA’s get a certain amount of slots so yes they are your advocate and the first one to decide who gets what. I was given pretty accurate timelines on all four of my current Rolex from my SA. I am on good terms with the manager too but she does not micromanage her staff. AFAIK the owner of this small chain of family stores is not directly involved in running my store.
I said in a previous post I thought maybe the OP had lost his chance by saying no but after reading more of his commentary I believe he’ll probably get the white dial he wants. I had to turn down a watch due to an unrelated large purchase I’d just made. SA told me to tell him when I was ready and when I did I got it six months later.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2024, 04:26 PM   #145
Hkspwrsche
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddodoc View Post
While most love the panda the black Daytona is a more sleek, elegant version. I have both 116 and while I love both for being different. Panda is more sporty. I feel the black can be used in any setting including formal occasions. I started with the Black Daytona then later the white. Since I only have the SD43 that is all black, the Black version can be a jack of all trades.

I am sure you will be over the moon when you get your Panda. Only time will tell is you end up craving the black version.
Agree with this. I prefer the black in person. So much more elegant.
Old 26 February 2024, 06:39 PM   #146
topgear
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN, PAM390
I would have taken the black Daytona too even if I prefer the Panda.
topgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2024, 06:44 PM   #147
chris242

Watch: 116610lv
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgear View Post
I would have taken the black Daytona too even if I prefer the Panda.

This is what’s wrong with the watch community these days, buying watches you don’t truly want, merely because of second hand value or opportunity.

chris242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2024, 06:47 PM   #148
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Any Daytona
Sorry, but I would’ve asked this group of strangers their opinion before I’d decided what to do ..
Same as you are telling a group of strangers your choice ..
Me, I’d have took the black, I see no difference in either plus it’s a DAYTONA SS ffs ..
Paul Newman

Being Serious = Onto the list you go
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2024, 08:48 PM   #149
Goldilock
"TRF" Member

There is no way one can trust an AD, let alone a simple SA. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. A black daytona in the hand is worth two whites in the clouds.
Goldilock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2024, 11:29 PM   #150
Dave O
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris242 View Post
This is what’s wrong with the watch community these days, buying watches you don’t truly want, merely because of second hand value or opportunity.

Exactly!
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote