The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 August 2024, 09:13 AM   #121
Zach69SS
"TRF" Member

Omega makes a very high quality watch and I own a few and love them. Unfortunately they are not the King. Rolex was my first luxury watch and I think they are the best.
Not because of the value, because of what they are and represent.

There are some Omega’s that go up crazy in value. But I agree too many models of the same thing. I also like Patek, AP, Vacheron, and Cartier.

Give me a Rolex and it will always put a smile on my face.
Zach69SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 09:13 AM   #122
Mystro
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by majidessa View Post
For the ones that say Omega movements are better, I need to understand their argement with facts as according to my knowledge :
- Rolex movements beat at a higher rate of 28,800 vs. Omega's (non chrono) of 25,200
- Rolex movements have longer power reserve of 70 hours Vs 60 hours for 8900 movement
- Rolex precision is -2/+2 Vs Omega 0 to 5 seconds for 8900 movement.
- Rolex service intervals is up to 10 years vs. Omega 5 years despite co axial movement and lower beat rate to minimize wear.
- Serviceability of Rolex movements is easier and usually less complicated than Omega's co-axial movements.
- Both watches have resistance to magnetic fields. However, Omega has edge with 15000 gauss (could not find Rolex rating).
- Omega movements have better decorations than Rolex (no real advantage)

Having said that, I consider Omega movements really good however, I think the benefit of the co-axial escapment and magnetic rating is over exaurated in real life usage.
One of the huge benefits of the Omega movement is the double barrel mainspring. It runs stronger and longer with optimum accuracy by maintaining a higher amplitude throughout its entire power reserve. It’s obvious on the wrist and on a scope the benefits of a double barrel main spring. That’s probably the most tangible benefit and it is significant.
Old 7 August 2024, 09:21 AM   #123
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrimontgomery View Post

USA! USA! USA!

Well at least Rolex has the generosity of eating their profits by giving us a bracelet that’s made of more than 3 similar parts across all the lengths. The no taper thing is 100% laziness.

Yep, Omega laziness at its best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 09:29 AM   #124
shikashia
"TRF" Member

Imho, Omega offers a wider range of different designs in their catalogue. Don't get me wrong, I love Rolex but I think they all almost look the same and high jewelry department aside, they don't take any risk to innovate design wise. Reminds me of a 911, classic. But as we know, classic usually stands the test of time better. Anyway, 2 beautiful brands that each has their own pros and cons.
shikashia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 01:07 PM   #125
L_S_SHOE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Is Rolex THAT much better than Omega?

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
Omega had solid links and end links years before Rolex finally did. That was 100% due to laziness on Rolex's part.

Omega's rubber straps are amazing and far superior to anything else in that price range. I don't know what you're talking about.

Agree. Omega’s rubber straps are awesome.

Also, did I mention I walked into an Omega boutique and bought the strap and the deployant buckle on a whim? And they were nice enough to fit it to my Speedmaster while we talked watches? And they let me keep all my parts?!

Rolex has gotten so pretentious you can’t walk in to buy anything, and so restrictive that kitting out a watch how you want it to be kitted out is all but impossible. You want to buy a jubilee for that GMT? How dare you!

L_S_SHOE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 07:13 PM   #126
Alex_TA
"TRF" Member

The best thing about Omega is that you can go anywhere with short sleeves

Seriously, the quality is more or less the same. Omega is a bit better in movements while Rolex in cases.

Alex_TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 08:42 PM   #127
GB-man

Watch: addiction issues
Similar but different.
Old 7 August 2024, 08:56 PM   #128
Know1isgod
"TRF" Member

Last year picked up a new Air King as a GADA piece and yet I find myself reaching for my Speedy 3861 SS when its time to go anywhere do anything. Go figure.....

I do hold the opinion that the Swatch plastic versions hurt the perception of Omega as a Luxury brand.
Know1isgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 09:30 PM   #129
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II Evr, SUB
Wow, this thread really took off, surprised so many Omega fans here. Glad to see so many folks having an open mind to other brands "variety is the spice of life" as they say. I have appreciated Rolex watches since the late 70's. However, Omega was there too, but as many mentioned not the marketing and exposure like a Rolex. Even the movie industry latched on to Rolex, all though Bond wears an Omega.

In a "blind taste test" if I handled a Rolex and Omega of similar models I could tell which one was a Rolex, as it feels more robust (case and bracelet) to me. If they were hummer vehicles Rolex would be the military version and Omega the cilvian version.
911991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 09:50 PM   #130
Talon84
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911991 View Post
Wow, this thread really took off, surprised so many Omega fans here. Glad to see so many folks having an open mind to other brands "variety is the spice of life" as they say. I have appreciated Rolex watches since the late 70's. However, Omega was there too, but as many mentioned not the marketing and exposure like a Rolex. Even the movie industry latched on to Rolex, all though Bond wears an Omega.

In a "blind taste test" if I handled a Rolex and Omega of similar models I could tell which one was a Rolex, as it feels more robust (case and bracelet) to me. If they were hummer vehicles Rolex would be the military version and Omega the cilvian version.
I think that's a fair assessment. Im a complete Omega fanboy, also a fan of other brands...but id give Omega a 9 or 9.5 out of 10 and put Rolex at 10....for the most part they feel half a point better built....

....with that said, i prefer most Omega designs with the Speedy, Seamaster and Conny because i find their dials and cases more interesting and dont feel the half a point is worth the increase in RRP over Omega, especially when you can get Blancpain, Glashutte Original, JLC for the same price as a Submariner these days.

Its nice we can all agree to disagree in a jovial manner
Talon84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 09:58 PM   #131
Krash

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911991 View Post
However, Omega was there too, but as many mentioned not the marketing and exposure like a Rolex.

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 10:37 PM   #132
Talon84
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post

Other than the olympics for 3 weeks every 4 years, Omega sports marketing is quite niche when compared to Rolex with F1, Equestrianism, golf, sportscar racing, tennis, yachting.

Personally i love Bobsleigh, but doubt Omega get the same reach as Rolex in F1
Old 7 August 2024, 10:43 PM   #133
MHB
"TRF" Member

Watch: VTNR, 214270, FXD
I’ve been wearing my Speedmaster 2020 Tokyo Olympics Panda for the last couple of months straight. I purchased the new bracelet style for about $600 which works flawlessly on the previous Speedmaster models. It is a near perfect chronograph in terms of wearability, comfort, aesthetics, and it doesn’t carry the Rolex baggage while also being a piece I get complimented on from time to time.

I also own a Lefty Sprite on jubilee (I’m left handed) and an Explorer 39 mk2, both of which I also enjoy and wear frequently. I find the jubilee a bit blingy though and it gets noticed. I get relatively frequent compliments and “is that a Rolex?” questions and sometimes I’m just not in the mood. If I could only keep one watch the rest of my life it would probably be the Explorer.

All that said, omega makes a lot of models and the vast majority are not my cup of tea. If you find the right one though, then absolutely an omega can be as good if not better than any Rolex model. It’s all personal preference.
MHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 10:50 PM   #134
Eagles4133
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 / 114060
It's down to preference really. Also, marketing and perceived value have a large impact. You can see that with Omega moving more towards the boutique model with tighter controls. Omega's discounts were 18% pre 2022 and Rolex you could get roughly 5-10% pre 2019 even on "desirable models. As far as innovation goes, that is how Omega built it's reputation in the early years and they continue to do so now. I have owned many models from both brands, I perceive them as equals.
Eagles4133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 10:50 PM   #135
warrior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Excellent point. I bet that a good majority of Americans have no clue that Omega is the Official Timekeeper of the Olympics which occur every 4 years, as you say.( As an aside, I have a friend who has loved the Olympics for years and sees as much as he can, is not a watch guy, and had no clue that Omega was the timekeeper of the Olympics) How often does a Bond movie come out? Every few years? Nowhere near the marketing prowess of Rolex IMO.

In terms of quality, I’d say they are about equal…movements and innovation a bit better on the Omega side, cases and bracelets on the Rolex side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon84 View Post
Other than the olympics for 3 weeks every 4 years, Omega sports marketing is quite niche when compared to Rolex with F1, Equestrianism, golf, sportscar racing, tennis, yachting.

warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 10:56 PM   #136
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
In this case Omega was better when it really mattered

Although I see your point in the matter, many of the early astronauts did indeed wear Rolex to the moon as well. Although in an unofficial capacity more as a personal watch/good luck charm. So I see the point in it, but I wouldn’t say that they didn’t go to the moon or space.

I think on the original debate. A lot of the design language combined with marketing comes into play. I really do like Omega as a brand, but I never can quite find the one that is really perfect for me. The Rolex design language IMO is a bit more classic and timeless.

Additionally I think Omega to an extent has kind of diluted their own brand value a bit. How many special editions and random variants of every line are available?

Take the Seamaster for instance. How many variants of that model have there been over the years that are so vastly different they really should t even be in the same line? I think it is a bit confusing for the average consumer or to an extent like me where you just can’t quite find the right one. Where Rolex with a very consistent mode range has stayed classic and in demand.

Great watches and quality is consistent and on par with Rolex, they are just doing too much I think. However it is a bit of the Omega culture it seems to do so as well.
Old 7 August 2024, 10:57 PM   #137
Krash

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:

Lots of eye balls on the Olympics.

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 11:00 PM   #138
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

Actually they would since Rolex isn’t sponsoring F1 next year
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 11:01 PM   #139
warrior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Ask your average Joe on the street ( ie not a watch person) who the Official Timekeeper of the Olympics is right now when the Olympics are going on, and I’d bet a good majority would have no clue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
Lots of eye balls on the Olympics.

warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 11:02 PM   #140
Talon84
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Actually they would since Rolex isn’t sponsoring F1 next year
LOL! true
Old 7 August 2024, 11:09 PM   #141
"TRF" Member

The current fastest man in the world Noah Lyles wears Omega Dark Side of the Moon Apollo 8

https://robbreport.com/style/watch-c...nt-1235800740/
Old 7 August 2024, 11:10 PM   #142
whattimeyougot
"TRF" Member

With Omega you can walk into an AD and buy one. No tricks, no games. Some would say this is a negative, but neither Rolex or Omega watches are exclusive. Both are mass produced luxury goods.

From a technical perspective, Omega is superior. They have objectively better movements.

Aesthetics and on wrist feel are all subjective. Only you can determine that for yourself.

whattimeyougot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 11:21 PM   #143
Casey VP-26
"TRF" Member

I wish Paul Newman was here to see what he started.
Casey VP-26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 11:22 PM   #144
samson66

Watch: my money leaving!
I think the big thing in Rolex's favor is they have more truly iconic models

Daytona, "Pepsi" GMT, Submariner, Datejust

Omega really only has one, the Moonwatch

That doesn't make Rolex better than Moonwatch, but it says a lot about the perception of the brand. For most people when you think dive watch you think Submariner. When you think GMT watch, you think Rolex. Even though when you think of a chrono the Omega may be the most iconic, I still think many if not most would mention Daytona first. And in spite of all the sport watch fans on this board, the Datejust may be the most iconic watch ever made and the one most associated with Rolex.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 11:24 PM   #145
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whattimeyougot View Post
With Omega you can walk into an AD and buy one. No tricks, no games. Some would say this is a negative, but neither Rolex or Omega watches are exclusive. Both are mass produced luxury goods.

From a technical perspective, Omega is superior. They have objectively better movements.

Aesthetics and on wrist feel are all subjective. Only you can determine that for yourself.
True dat, it actually felt strange being at an AD and being able to look at several rows of watches that were available for sale and no "Snob factor" at all.

I came to purchase a DSOTM Apollo 8, but came close to buying 2 other models that looked and fit very nice. Omega is not a watch for "flippers" but if you really like watches, its hard not to like an Omega....
Old 7 August 2024, 11:30 PM   #146
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
I think the big thing in Rolex's favor is they have more truly iconic models

Daytona, "Pepsi" GMT, Submariner, Datejust

Omega really only has one, the Moonwatch

That doesn't make Rolex better than Moonwatch, but it says a lot about the perception of the brand. For most people when you think dive watch you think Submariner. When you think GMT watch, you think Rolex. Even though when you think of a chrono the Omega may be the most iconic, I still think many if not most would mention Daytona first. And in spite of all the sport watch fans on this board, the Datejust may be the most iconic watch ever made and the one most associated with Rolex.
Absolutely, Rolex marketing and branding is second to none. Just like people use to say Xerox machine instead of copier machine, etc...
Old 7 August 2024, 11:47 PM   #147
majidessa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whattimeyougot View Post

Not entirely correct, did you try to buy Snoopy, EDwhite 321, or Seamaster bond anniversary?
majidessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 11:55 PM   #148
stevestil
"TRF" Member

Honestly, I love and own both brands and cannot really say that Rolex is that much better than Omega. Rolex has the upper hand in many factors, but my daily watch is a seamster 300m which I enjoy wearing.

It really comes down to personal preference. As far as movements go, Omega movements are just as bulletproof, if not better than Rolex movements.
stevestil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 11:56 PM   #149
majidessa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
One of the huge benefits of the Omega movement is the double barrel mainspring. It runs stronger and longer with optimum accuracy by maintaining a higher amplitude throughout its entire power reserve. It’s obvious on the wrist and on a scope the benefits of a double barrel main spring. That’s probably the most tangible benefit and it is significant.
Good point, but then why Rolex accuracy rating is higher than Omega -2/+2 Vs 0 to 5 sec? And despite double barrel spring also the power reserve is less than Rolex?

I own 3 Omega watches, one of which is SM Diver 300 and all my Rolex watches keep better time with less variance, My Omega PO Chrono with 9300, is the most accurate Omega that I have which is on par with the Rolex watches.
majidessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 11:58 PM   #150
misochew
"TRF" Member

Watch: n+1
For me it’s simple. Both brands make well built, good looking watches. So I own both, don’t worry about which one is better, and buy the models that float my boat.
misochew is offline   Reply With Quote