The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 July 2021, 08:25 AM   #121
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizcut1 View Post
You're right - that was rude. Apologies.

Ben
Thanks man. Obviously i should have kept my nose out of it or figured a cheaper analogy..thanks
Old 16 July 2021, 08:33 AM   #122
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
Wait a minute….

You created a thread to boast about which Rolex to take with you to a Porsche-themed vacation (and showed watch rolls with some of your nice watches). Then, you dropped a photo of a Porsche (presumably yours) into another UNRELATED thread. And then you mention your YG Daytona in a follow up post.

So, someone mentions flexing and YOU claim to be the unwitting victim of the flex police???

Dude, pul-eeeze. It’s 100% OK to brag about this stuff. We are on a Rolex forum so showing off comes with the territory. Don’t cry foul.
Just to bring you up to date, Bragging isn’t what I had in mind. I thought this forum was kind of about machinery, mechanical watches, drinks, cigars, all kinds of stuff we all like. Didn’t know about Flex before. Doesn’t interest me but I guess others here are uptight about who’s got what and etc, frak, I have no idea about all this. It’s all the same to me. I also like the cranes and loaders I used to operate, I love trains, they are kind of expensive too, now I’m paranoid about the Flex police so I’ll keep everything close to the vest from now on. Thanks for the useful clarification…this place just got less fun.
Old 16 July 2021, 08:36 AM   #123
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

I like Gary's stuff.
Old 16 July 2021, 08:38 AM   #124
Richard2
Banned

Probably a rookie
Richard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 12:16 PM   #125
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
I like Gary's stuff.
Thank you!
Old 16 July 2021, 12:38 PM   #126
Andad
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
Just to bring you up to date, Bragging isn’t what I had in mind. I thought this forum was kind of about machinery, mechanical watches, drinks, cigars, all kinds of stuff we all like. Didn’t know about Flex before. Doesn’t interest me but I guess others here are uptight about who’s got what and etc, frak, I have no idea about all this. It’s all the same to me. I also like the cranes and loaders I used to operate, I love trains, they are kind of expensive too, now I’m paranoid about the Flex police so I’ll keep everything close to the vest from now on. Thanks for the useful clarification…this place just got less fun.
Gary,

As for me I would like to see all the good stuff you have in one thread.

Now would be a good time then the flex police can have one more shot at you and then find somewhere else to go?

There are threads on almost every item known to man on TRF.

Most are way out of my league but I enjoy reading about them.

Keep up the good work.

A quick question.

The weather in Oz today is atrocious, should I drive the Jaguar home from the office or the AMG?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 12:45 PM   #127
AG23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post

The weather in Oz today is atrocious, should I drive the Jaguar home from the office or the AMG?
You’ll need neither as the flex police are on their way to pick you up!
AG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 05:21 PM   #128
OG1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ36 & BB54
Sorry this happened OP, I would also be upset if someone else scratched my new watch.

What I don't understand is why we feel the need to take a watch back to an AD to have a link added or removed. It is literally just a case of unscrewing, removing (or adding) a link and then tightening it all back up again. I've sized both of my Rolex watches and shock horror, I didn't even use a Bergen or swiss screwdriver… The watch survived and so did I!

If you absolutely have to have someone else undo a screw for you, then ask the sales advisor if it's going to be a watchmaker making the adjustment - if not let them know beforehand that any damage will not be tolerated and they will be required to replace any damaged items.

Sorry if I am coming across as dismissive or flippant, but my mind struggles to understand how someone can work their way up to being able to afford such a luxury item, but have no inclination of being able to perform the most simple adjustment. It’s a bit like buying a Porsche and not being able to adjust the seating position.
OG1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 05:31 PM   #129
joeboy
Banned

Unacceptable on multiple levels. Keep pursuing this and contact Rolex head office.
joeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 08:20 PM   #130
AG23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1982 View Post
Sorry this happened OP, I would also be upset if someone else scratched my new watch.

What I don't understand is why we feel the need to take a watch back to an AD to have a link added or removed. It is literally just a case of unscrewing, removing (or adding) a link and then tightening it all back up again. I've sized both of my Rolex watches and shock horror, I didn't even use a Bergen or swiss screwdriver… The watch survived and so did I!

If you absolutely have to have someone else undo a screw for you, then ask the sales advisor if it's going to be a watchmaker making the adjustment - if not let them know beforehand that any damage will not be tolerated and they will be required to replace any damaged items.

Sorry if I am coming across as dismissive or flippant, but my mind struggles to understand how someone can work their way up to being able to afford such a luxury item, but have no inclination of being able to perform the most simple adjustment. It’s a bit like buying a Porsche and not being able to adjust the seating position.
I feel like it’s one of these things that you wouldn’t think twice about taking to a shop to do- it seems straightforward, so why not? Obviously the why not is this and the many other threads here describing damage but not everyone knows about them.

The seat analogy doesn’t quite work as there isn’t a specific tool required that not everyone has to hand. Unless there is for Porsche…
AG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 10:11 PM   #131
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Gary,

As for me I would like to see all the good stuff you have in one thread.

Now would be a good time then the flex police can have one more shot at you and then find somewhere else to go?

There are threads on almost every item known to man on TRF.

Most are way out of my league but I enjoy reading about them.

Keep up the good work.

A quick question.

Wow, you totally get it!! My wife of 50 years and my children are what’s important to me. I think I’ll keep my toys to myself from now on.

Forget the Jag and AMG, I’ve always been partial to Jeep’s and Broncos. Now those are cool!!

Thanks again bro, your comments are very much appreciated!!
Old 16 July 2021, 10:13 PM   #132
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG23 View Post
You’ll need neither as the flex police are on their way to pick you up!
God bless the Aussies!
Old 17 July 2021, 02:24 AM   #133
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well since we're all ruffling feathers here I'll jump in head first haha... I guess my world view is the opposite of yours. In my experience it is precisely the most wealthy and the consumers of luxury goods who are least likely to "get their hands dirty" with anything. I think the bracelet sizing is more akin to an oil change. You think the majority of Porsche owners do that themselves?
Adjusting the seat in the car is more like setting the date on the watch. Most on here are not going to the AD for that at least ;)
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2021, 02:32 AM   #134
Watchdoyouwant?
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry if I am coming across as dismissive or flippant, but my mind struggles to understand how someone can work their way up to being able to afford such a luxury item, but have no inclination of being able to perform the most simple adjustment.
Really? Time is money.

I used to do my own yardwork, household fixits, etc. Then I realized that by doing so I likely could make a claim for being the most expensive gardener/handyman in the country.

I save money by paying others to do less expensive tasks for me, which frees my time up to earn more money doing what I do.

Also, I scratch my watch, I'm SOL. AD scratches my watch, they're SOL.
Watchdoyouwant? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2021, 02:37 AM   #135
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What I don't understand is why we feel the need to take a watch back to an AD to have a link added or removed. It is literally just a case of unscrewing, removing (or adding) a link and then tightening it all back up again.
I tend to agree. And at the end of the day, NO-ONE is ever going to be as careful with your watch as you are. As soon as you outsource any task to someone else, you're implicitly accepting how they choose to perform that task.
Driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2021, 03:01 AM   #136
M45
Banned

Quote:

Adjusting the bracelets is a bit more technically ambitious than moving a seat by pushing a button.

It requires the proper tools, knowledge that Loctite will break when heated, although if they use the proper color and amount (blue) it will break when cold, patience, and an ability to do very fine motor skills without your hands slipping or shaking.

Most Rolex dealers have some guy in a lab coat they keep chained to a table in the back room who allegedly is a factory authorized? watch repair dude and who allegedly is the guy who does these adjustments.

Or so I’ve been told.

The Rolex dealers I go to will only let their watch lab coat guy adjust bracelets.

I’ve never had to adjust a bracelet because I have a gorilla wrists. But my wife will not let me do it on her watches and lets the dude do it.
M45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2021, 03:03 AM   #137
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdoyouwant? View Post
Really? Time is money.

I used to do my own yardwork, household fixits, etc. Then I realized that by doing so I likely could make a claim for being the most expensive gardener/handyman in the country.

I save money by paying others to do less expensive tasks for me, which frees my time up to earn more money doing what I do.
The global TRF community insists on full self reliance. Size your own watch. Change your own straps. Fire the landscapers. Change your own oil. Fire the housekeeper, handyman, butler, chefs, and personal trainers! Do your own taxes. And always self park; never use a valet.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2021, 03:17 AM   #138
OG1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ36 & BB54
Quote:
Really? Time is money.

Also, I scratch my watch, I'm SOL. AD scratches my watch, they're SOL.

Correct, time is money.

It would take me a couple of hours to drive into town and have a ‘watchmaker’ adjust a watch. Whereas, I can adjust my own in around ten minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OG1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2021, 03:21 AM   #139
KyloRen
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV Hulk
Thats really bad, i would ask for a replacement clasp.
KyloRen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2021, 03:27 AM   #140
Deepseadoug
Banned

I could after a few days live with the muff on the clasp but man o man those bracelet screw heads are an eyesore. You need to be made good on this. 2 links with 2 fresh screws and a clasp. The clasp is prob 300$ and each link 60 bucks. I’d have them order everything for you and you can buy the correct screwdriver and with a little tape and patience put your baby back together again. Ad has gotta eat the cost of the parts it’s the only way. A polish n 2 screws just wouldn’t do it for me but me thinks that’s the route they will go. Play hard ball.
Deepseadoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2021, 03:56 AM   #141
crazycarlitos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Correct, time is money.

It would take me a couple of hours to drive into town and have a ‘watchmaker’ adjust a watch. Whereas, I can adjust my own in around ten minutes.

Agreed.
10 minutes only because I need to look for the proper screwdriver. Lol

Two screws out. One screw back in. Done.

It’s not rocket science.. or even changing engine oil.

Good thing some of u don’t own a Panerai.
How would u change ur strap without a watch tech doing it for u? Lol

Time is money, yes.
But we still can and actually do few thing by ourselves, no?
Obviously, if u feel more comfortable with others doing it for u, by all means.
But if the argument is that it’s not worth ur time because u can make more money during that period, that’s just silly. Lol
Old 17 July 2021, 04:05 AM   #142
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos View Post
But if the argument is that it’s not worth ur time because u can make more money during that period, that’s just silly. Lol
Agree. I don't sit down at the table after making dinner and think "well, I just lost out on $300 I could have billed clients, FML". Life would be pretty joyless if every action were a "what makes me the most money" proposition.
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2021, 04:23 AM   #143
Watchdoyouwant?
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos View Post
Agreed.
10 minutes only because I need to look for the proper screwdriver. Lol

I don't want to judge what your time is worth. I know mine is worth more doing other things other than sizing my watch, especially when the liability for any error is borne by the AD when he/she does it. That being said, if you enjoy sizing your watch, go for it. But don't pretend that this whole "do it yourself" fetish is rational.

As I said, I get my watches sized when I buy them from the AD. I'm there already. No sunk time. My wrist also doesn't expand like a blowfish, so I've never had to resize any watch thereafter. My AD also doesn't scratch my watches.

Furthermore, properly removing links from a bracelet--especially a PM bracelet--is clearly not a job any moron can do properly. This is evidenced by the experience the OP has had.
Watchdoyouwant? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2021, 05:09 AM   #144
Corius
Banned

To be fair, some people are more confident than others when it comes to DIY. If in doubt let the professionals do it (OPs experience excepted of course)

You don't need dedicated tools to remove a link or adjust the bracelet in the clasp but it does make life easier. However, you do need good screwdrivers e.g Bergeon, and you must have the correct size. Good eyesight or a loupe can help. Apply gentle, slowly increasing force to break the loctite and stop if you think the screwdriver bit is about to break or slip.

I wouldn't be confident about applying heat, so that's the point when I would go to the AD.

To adjust the spring bar position in the clasp just use the screwdriver between the two rings to compress the link and ease it out of the dimple. keep your free thumb over the top of the clasp to endure the spring bar doesn't sing out to the blue yonder. Then do the same on the other side of the spring bar and gently slide it to the new position.
Corius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2021, 05:10 AM   #145
mattedialdoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't want to judge what your time is worth. I know mine is worth more doing other things other than sizing my watch, especially when the liability for any error is borne by the AD when he/she does it. That being said, if you enjoy sizing your watch, go for it. But don't pretend that this whole "do it yourself" fetish is rational.

As I said, I get my watches sized when I buy them from the AD. I'm there already. No sunk time. My wrist also doesn't expand like a blowfish, so I've never had to resize any watch thereafter. My AD also doesn't scratch my watches.

Furthermore, properly removing links from a bracelet--especially a PM bracelet--is clearly not a job any moron can do properly. This is evidenced by the experience the OP has had.

Valid. But, Yeah, I do my own. I’m a surgeon so have decent hand/eye…and also my time is worth a lot. But I enjoy it. And enjoy preventing F-ups like this that seem rampant.

mattedialdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2021, 08:52 AM   #146
rolexako
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozack90 View Post
I had this happen to one of mine though not as bad, it was when I bought it also, they scratched the clasp when sizing it and gave me the wrong box....I let the clasp slide but wanted the correct box and they gave me so much attitude, I just figure they are used to buyers who don't care and deal with so many people on any given day

I keep hoping things get better, and some SA are amazing, but like everything it depends on who you get and the day.
I expect the best....always from a Rolex AD!
rolexako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2021, 09:09 AM   #147
rolexako
"TRF" Member

In the end, it's the principle of it all. I would have it replaced and you have the right to request that it be replaced.
rolexako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2021, 09:10 AM   #148
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

Since retirement I have to watch my $$$$ a little more closely. I used to have somebody come to the house and detail my cars, I figured they needed the money more than I did. I'd work a side job and it would pay for 2X what it cost to do the cars. I do the cars myself now. I do have a lawn service do the weed and feed 3x a year though. I figured the cost of the materials and it's cheaper to have them do it. A neighbor does my driveway plowing. For $250.00 a year he'll do it 3X a day if needed. I'll change the oil in the tractor and pushmower, but the cars still go to the shop.
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2021, 09:11 AM   #149
ynos1000
"TRF" Member

Those where some crazy scratches you have every reason to be mad
ynos1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2021, 09:15 AM   #150
Highend7
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116520
Really though the lady was rude to give such response. That's bad service
Highend7 is offline   Reply With Quote