The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 July 2024, 05:45 AM   #121
Bozzie1982
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch300 View Post
What would be the point of having so many watches that aren't going to get worn? Wouldn't it make more sense to have something of substance? Quick math is you have 2-3k in seikos when you could have $100.
That was myogoc many years ago and sold around 20 seikos and got myself a few nice tudors which then led me down a rabbit hole!!
Bozzie1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 06:05 AM   #122
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

FWIW, I think the best way to actually keep a collection small and wear the watches you have is to continuously strive to work UP the horological ladder, esp in price. This won't work if you are Steve Ballmer though (he's richer than Bill Gates now btw, so he's the new stand-in for generic rich guy).

I'm the type of guy that truly likes and gets distracted by everything from Rolex to Timex. That's a recipe for enlarging a collection to absurd levels.

I finally got my first "step up" from Rolex in a VC Overseas earlier this year, and all of a sudden I am pining for watches I can't afford or at the very least are not a quick swipe of the credit card away. And meanwhile actually wearing and enjoying the watches I do have.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 06:14 AM   #123
Rolextellstime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF_Rob View Post
I currently have 7 and it’s a couple too many, I think.

I go months not wearing some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here, ideally would like to come down to three but it's so hard to decide. Next year I plan on gifting one to my son and maybe to sell one or two but I keep procrastinating

Sent from my SM-S908W using Tapatalk
Rolextellstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 07:00 AM   #124
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Since I posted on this thread in 2023 (where I had every intention of cutting my collection down from 22 at that time, to under 10), I've actually increased it by suddenly getting into Chinese watches for some bizarre reason! I now have a collection of 10 Seiko-powered San Martins that coexist quite happily with everything else! I've also managed to get an extremely wealthy, watch-fanatic friend of mine into them too, and he reckons he gets just as much (if not more) enjoyment out of the whole easy-come, easy-go nature of his SM's as he does from wearing his Pateks!

It's a weird old hobby this is.
Old 4 July 2024, 09:53 AM   #125
NardinNut
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I have 19 currently and I’ve only been wearing two of them lately. I seriously need to off load quite a few pieces. It’s just finding the time, and motivation, lately to put them up for sale.
NardinNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 01:30 PM   #126
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Happy to report that two of the watches I almost never wore I e started wearing again after strap changes.

BB58 put it on the soft touch strap and I wear it at least a few times a month now. Did the same with my GS and at least have picked it up a few times since doing so.

Strap change can make a huge difference in changing it up!
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 01:31 PM   #127
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
Since I posted on this thread in 2023 (where I had every intention of cutting my collection down from 22 at that time, to under 10), I've actually increased it by suddenly getting into Chinese watches for some bizarre reason! I now have a collection of 10 Seiko-powered San Martins that coexist quite happily with everything else! I've also managed to get an extremely wealthy, watch-fanatic friend of mine into them too, and he reckons he gets just as much (if not more) enjoyment out of the whole easy-come, easy-go nature of his SM's as he does from wearing his Pateks!

It's a weird old hobby this is.
I had a Chinese watch phase back in 2022, though I don't own any anymore, haha. Super addictive because they are affordable and there is actually a thriving secondary market for them if I eventually want to move them on. It did seem like at around that price level San Martin's quality was a cut above all the other brands I tried out.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 04:47 PM   #128
TikTok
"TRF" Member

10 of various makes.They all get wrist time.
4 x Rolex, 2 x Omega, 2 x IWC, 1 x Blancpain, 1 x Grand Seiko.
The GS is my grab and go.
Old 4 July 2024, 05:07 PM   #129
colonelpurple
2024 Pledge Member

For me, the only collection that works is where the watches have different functions. It kinds of contradicts my thinking to have two watch’s for the same thing, as that means I haven’t got my favourite. I have an electric diving watch for the gym. A winding diving watch for gym and some holidays. A thin electric dress watch for days when nothing is wound. I have an expensive pilot watch (IWC) for t-shirt, summer or low key days. I have an expensive dress watch (Rolex) for long sleeve work days and posh evenings out. I am currently on the lookout for a posh diving watch (could be Rolex) to more upmarket holidays and swimming and lastly a Rolex explorer for higher key t-shirt days. I want to have a chronograph but know I won’t wear it much as they are generally heavier. I also don’t have a smart watch although I have tried everything out there. I think an apple ultra 3 or 4 if they make it slimmer with the same or better battery life, possibly a tag Heuer E5 to see how that shapes up.
colonelpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 05:42 PM   #130
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
I have way too many watches, what’s problem. I find that Ivwear about 10 models often in rotation , out of a 30-50 watch collection.

Lately I have been wearing vintage gold Cartuer Santos and Panther from the 1980’s 1990’s… and they have been overhauled by Cartier. I have been wearing smaller watches for years in addition to my Rolex collections, so have been ahead of trend of shaker and sometimes considering dainty timepieces.

I know some here have as many or more that I have , but my recommendation is that about 10 pieces would be a nice good size collection.
I wished I had not traded my VC Overseas blue dial, only regret btw,

Fun problem to have.
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 07:04 PM   #131
geoach
"TRF" Member

Watch: one I'm wearing
never got into other brands started with Rolex and stayed there..........current line up.......16610lv y flat 4 that I wear summer time and a PP 5066 and my father's 18078 for the rest of the year. I've been collecting over 30 years never going a above 3 watches I'm not rich retired first responder.
geoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 10:13 PM   #132
nicon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Everything above 2 is a burden. More hassle with maintenance and choice dilemma than benefit from variety.
nicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 10:16 PM   #133
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
5 all worn some not as frequently.
Old 4 July 2024, 10:20 PM   #134
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
I have a couple dozen and I wear them all. Some obviously more than others, but they all get worn. I also have a small car collection and drive all of them. What’s the point if you don’t?
Old 4 July 2024, 10:53 PM   #135
Phil8352
"TRF" Member

There’s a big difference between having dozens of mediocre watches with a few nice pieces peppered in (eg a few Rolexes surrounded by dozens of IWC, Omega, G-Shock, GS, Breitling, etc) and having a collection solely comprised of heavy hitters.

Begin with the end in mind. Don’t buy pieces you think you want because other people hype them up. Buy every watch with the intention of keeping it forever.

Most watches are not forever-worthy.
Phil8352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2024, 12:46 AM   #136
Jerrocop
"TRF" Member

Watch: EXP 39, GRNR, SeaQ
It’s tough for me to have more than 4 available during any given week and cycle through them. I tend to enjoy a bit more time with 1 or 2 than just a day. Sometimes I’ll cycle through several in the day but I’m too ADHD to be able to handle myself with more than 4 on the nightstand at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jerrocop is online now   Reply With Quote