The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 July 2024, 05:22 PM   #121
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpatek363 View Post
I owned a 997.1 C2S manual tranny for four years. The 3.8L engine did not blow up. It's still my favourite recent-ish 911 - the newer ones are like limos in comparison.
I had a 997.2S and sold it for a 991.1 plain manual, greatly preferred the manual but ended up selling that one as well. Now all new 911 are really expensive.
codecow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 05:32 PM   #122
928ktgold
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: what’s next.
The glossy black dial and additional chrome rings around the bezel and subdial rings really make this 126500 pop!
928ktgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 05:49 PM   #123
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I think the problem is the hype. I feel the same way about the AP RO and the PP Nautilus. Once you understand the workmanship, you appreciate it better.

I do like the aesthetics of the Daytona, but I’d heard about them for years before seeing one in person.

The only watch brand I love at first sight is the Cartier. They are, of course, made by a famous jewelry company, so the emphasis first is on beautiful design.
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 07:00 PM   #124
IGY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
I had a 997.2S and sold it for a 991.1 plain manual, greatly preferred the manual but ended up selling that one as well. Now all new 911 are really expensive.
Part of the reason for this are net zero quotas being pushed by the WTO:

In the EU automakers have to shift a ratio of 22% EVs to all new cars being sold in 2024. This quota increases to 80% by 2030 and 100% by 2035. Failure to meet this quota results in a fine for each PEV produced beyond their quota limit. Current fines are £15,000 per vehicle. Of course the fine is likely to increase as we move closer to 2030.

What does this mean for the watch market? If people defer spending money on expensive new cars, this could mean more disposable income available for watches. But if higher auto prices weaken consumer confidence in the economy and cause job losses (German car factories are already on shortened shifts and employer-union agreed days off / production line closures) then this could mean deeper problems for the global economy. So the result is not clear. What is clear is that there are big risks.
IGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 07:29 PM   #125
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGY View Post

What does this mean for the watch market? If people defer spending money on expensive new cars, this could mean more disposable income available for watches. But if higher auto prices weaken consumer confidence in the economy and cause job losses (German car factories are already on shortened shifts and employer-union agreed days off / production line closures) then this could mean deeper problems for the global economy. So the result is not clear. What is clear is that there are big risks.
I traded my Porsche Cayman GTS for a 1993 W124 saloon, 3L straight-six. Crazy, right. I actually had an order in for a Lotus Emira for over 12 months, then they told me it was going to be another 18 months, and the agreed cast-iron guaranteed price was going up as well. So I cancelled.

It was at this point I did some soul-searching. I concluded that sports cars are a mirage. Clarkson and everyone are always driving on empty roads with no speed cameras. The real world isn't like that, and sports cars are noisy, uncomfortable and ultimately futile, and everyone else thinks you're a prat.

So I went for the last of the good Mercedes, a clean Japanese import with no rust and low mileage. Comfy, quiet, smooth, awesome on motorways, everything my Porsches weren't. And I'm delighted. I even had some money left over for watches...
Old 24 July 2024, 09:39 PM   #126
Madman37
"TRF" Member

i have tried both i have a colleague who has both black dials and the old one is much much better in my opinion. He also thinks the same and what is less logical stores the old one in a safe as he doesn't want to damage it. He wears new one and says he doesn't care about it getting scratched etc as its not as nice. I was a bit speechless.
Madman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2024, 01:54 AM   #127
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpatek363 View Post
I traded my Porsche Cayman GTS for a 1993 W124 saloon, 3L straight-six. Crazy, right. I actually had an order in for a Lotus Emira for over 12 months, then they told me it was going to be another 18 months, and the agreed cast-iron guaranteed price was going up as well. So I cancelled.

It was at this point I did some soul-searching. I concluded that sports cars are a mirage. Clarkson and everyone are always driving on empty roads with no speed cameras. The real world isn't like that, and sports cars are noisy, uncomfortable and ultimately futile, and everyone else thinks you're a prat.

So I went for the last of the good Mercedes, a clean Japanese import with no rust and low mileage. Comfy, quiet, smooth, awesome on motorways, everything my Porsches weren't. And I'm delighted. I even had some money left over for watches...
Agreed. This is why I traded faster for slower and more engaging driving. Been in a truck since then and not looking back.

When you’re breaking laws within a couple seconds on a public road there’s not much point.

For track days you’re better off with a cheap spec car that’s already modified with a cage and a trailer to carry your spare tires and parts.
codecow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2024, 01:33 AM   #128
EEpro

Watch: Daytona
Big congrats to OP who bought a black 126500 \\end thread
Old 26 July 2024, 01:51 AM   #129
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Any Daytona
Still waiting for some decent pictures ….
Paul Newman

Being Serious = Onto the list you go
Bazil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2024, 01:51 AM   #130
Mystro

For some reason lately, many of these threads feel like you’re sitting at a table with a guy that insists generic hotdogs and no name cola are better than name brand and everyone is waisting their money buying anything else……..

Old 26 July 2024, 03:43 AM   #131
MannyMann
"TRF" Member

It's a cool watch and not for everyone, I don't really get the hype too, but your YM is also a good one, what model of YM do you own?
MannyMann is offline   Reply With Quote