The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 May 2017, 01:03 AM   #121
bax_tron
"TRF" Member

Watch: SEA-DWELLER
Quote:
Originally Posted by wristwatch3r View Post
Thank you. I would like to attend Columbia Business School and it was my decision to take the SAT early. I am very careful not to boast about my life and my parents wealth. I try to keep it very low key but hey, everyone on here is here to look at watches, so why not share mine?
Good choice, tho you have time to decide. Maybe pay your parents back by lobbying for scholarship money. Price is always negotiable.

Also, I didn't mean on this forum. There are places where you can share your passion without a second thought, and this is one of them. I think you know what I mean. Like it or not 99% of people you run in to will think a 16 year old (or anyone that didn't pay for it themselves) wearing a Rolex is a joke. And the fact is that a lot of those people (college buddies, prospective bosses) will treat you differently if you aren't also a humble and hard working dude. Not saying that's you-- just some advice from a guy that has been and knows a lot of people in your shoes. (not yeezys, I am a Lucchese guy)
bax_tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 01:06 AM   #122
wristwatch3r
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by bax_tron View Post
Good choice, tho you have time to decide. Maybe pay your parents back by lobbying for scholarship money. Price is always negotiable.

Also, I didn't mean on this forum. There are places where you can share your passion without a second thought, and this is one of them. I think you know what I mean. Like it or not 99% of people you run in to will think a 16 year old (or anyone that didn't pay for it themselves) wearing a Rolex is a joke. And the fact is that a lot of those people (college buddies, prospective bosses) will treat you differently if you aren't also a humble and hard working dude. Not saying that's you-- just some advice from a guy that has been and knows a lot of people in your shoes. (not yeezys, I am a Lucchese guy)
Thank you for the words of advice. I am always eager and willing to take in information from all perspectives.
wristwatch3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 01:07 AM   #123
Phil G.
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master IIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
Wouldn't call you a jerk, you just have a different perspective.
Neither is wrong. Not the OP's parents and certainly not you.
Each entitled to do as they please with their means and and being negatively judgmental gives the wrong impression of one's true feelings.

Your style is not mine. I am not of the OP's parent's apparent means but have gone to similar extremes with what I do have.
Recently, I gave my son his dream watch for his 33rd birthday.
No special birthday or accomplishment. Just a gesture to see the joy on his face and share what I have while I am alive, today, my way. If I could have afforded it earlier, I would have done it then.
There is no right or wrong here. Personally, I just wouldn't do it for the reasons stated in my prior post. I can clearly see your point in giving him a fine watch for his 333rd, and if it brings BOTH of you joy, I can understand it. And yes, I believe there is a significant difference in giving a new Rolex to a 33 year old vs a 16 year old.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 01:10 AM   #124
Viscount1961
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750 ExpII
Very small piece of advice from a 55 year old: for every dollar you spend on a watch, put a dollar in a low-cost S&P 500 mutual fund.
Viscount1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 01:11 AM   #125
Goin2drt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
Wouldn't call you a jerk, you just have a different perspective.
Neither is wrong. Not the OP's parents and certainly not you.
Each entitled to do as they please with their means and and being negatively judgmental gives the wrong impression of one's true feelings.

Your style is not mine. I am not of the OP's parent's apparent means but have gone to similar extremes with what I do have.
Recently, I gave my son his dream watch for his 33rd birthday.
No special birthday or accomplishment. Just a gesture to see the joy on his face and share what I have while I am alive, today, my way. If I could have afforded it earlier, I would have done it then.
Reread my post. My apologies as it was a lot a bit rude and cynical.

Should have just read, I am from a different school and left it at that.

Congrats to OP and I have read all his posts and he sounds very much like his head in on straight and WAY more mature than my boys at 16.

Cheers.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 01:13 AM   #126
Rivertrail
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner Date
To me its interesting that someone would judge. Having two kids in college and knowing the expense, he has probably just saved his parents a great deal of money because of the scholarships that will be available to him. If he saves them $100,000 then why not reward him for it. Entitlement dont think so, sure doesn't sound like it with his attitude either.

I do everything I can to instill work ethic in my kids and they show it but I also will buy them "extras" because I love to see them enjoy and I know I wont be able to see them enjoy forever.

Good job OP - keep working hard.
Rivertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 01:15 AM   #127
jguerra04
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day/GMT/Sub/43/SKY
I want the five minutes back that I wasted reading this self fulfilling thread. Go cut a lawn and make your own money!
jguerra04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 01:18 AM   #128
Phil G.
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master IIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
Reread my post. My apologies as it was a lot a bit rude and cynical.

Should have just read, I am from a different school and left it at that.

Congrats to OP and I have read all his posts and he sounds very much like his head in on straight and WAY more mature than my boys at 16.

Cheers.
No question. I'm one who believes that hard work and achievement like getting perfect SATs don't warrant being gifted a new Rolex at 16. Your reward for that achievement should be an internal one. The OP has his head on straight, no doubt. He sounds like a terrific, bright kid with a great future ahead, and will be in a position to buy the watch of his dreams at some point down the road. As a pediatrician and a parent, I just wouldn't do it for a 16 year old. Again, there is no absolute right or wrong here. Just my opinion.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 01:27 AM   #129
JohnAcosta
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII/Panda Speedy
Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
Stay Away from Me I'm can't stop being flirty with teenage boys wearing Subs
Ew.
JohnAcosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 01:28 AM   #130
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

Welcome to the No-Date Sub Club!
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 01:35 AM   #131
JUSTROLEXES
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 SUBMARINER Sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: Yacht-Master
Enjoy your watch and nice pair of shoes
Old 11 May 2017, 02:14 AM   #132
Bruins7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex(4),15400
I applaud you on your achievement and hard work. Keep up the good work and great first choice on a classic timepiece. People can judge or speculate on why you got such a nice watch at such a young age but, I think it's wonderful. Life's too short when you come to realize when one should receive such a gift. You seem to carry yourself well and I wish you nothing but the best in your future endeavors. Enjoy it!
Bruins7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 02:25 AM   #133
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
I saw that episode a few months back. If I am recalling the episode correctly, they referred to it as the "Hypercar Holy Trinity". I am so glad that the old Top Gear team came back to start a new show.
Yes, those guys are great.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 03:06 AM   #134
ispep
"TRF" Member

congrats on your new watch. Looks great on you . I wished I started collecting and enjoying watches at such an early age too.
ispep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 03:11 AM   #135
JSolano305
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060/116710BLNR
Congrats to you. And thank you to your parents. I see YZY V2 Belugas. I bought my first Rolex...114060 actually this February 2017...its a great watch BTW. April 2017 I bought a BLNR.
JSolano305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 03:30 AM   #136
Dusko.Popov
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This was not earned with my hard earned money, but with my hard earned grades. My parents bought it for me with their hard earned money as a gift.
Nothing against you, but I have my own personal feelings about young folks who are given $10k watches for doing things that they rightly should be doing anyway.

It's all about blood, sweat, and tears bro. Not about how many tutors and s.a.t. prep classes you can take.

Sweaty, bloody, knuckles and tired, weathered hands make a Rolex shine more beautifully than what it ever will worn on a hairless, vernal arm under a bape hoody.

And before someone says it, don't post age and personal circumstances on a public forum if you don't want all those details considered in the various responses. You can otherwise be part of the nameless, faceless, community of "incoming" threads as simply a watch enthusiast.

Anyway, let's face it, you don't care to hear about what I think and you've received enough miguided "congratulations" from others to convince you that the world is somehow supposed to work in that really grotesque way. Some people just grow up differently.

I wish you well bro. But I'll stay out of the celebration of unearned opulence.

I will, however, say, congrats on s.a.t. success. Use your smarts to change the world.

All the best.
Dusko.Popov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 03:35 AM   #137
Duke84
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Congrats on the SAT! You're fortunate to have a family that can give you a Sub at that age. Enjoy your watch in good health.
Duke84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 03:41 AM   #138
Cabaiguan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdphan View Post
I was wearing a guess Watch when I was 16 :)

Congrats on the SubC ND

Lol. I was in love with Swatch when I was 16. I still think they're awesome.
Old 11 May 2017, 03:41 AM   #139
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
Awesome work on the SAT and congrats on a perfect watch.
Old 11 May 2017, 03:52 AM   #140
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Rolex and fast car at 16! You're far ahead of many kids and even adults! Enjoy the ride!
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 03:57 AM   #141
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Congrats!
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 04:00 AM   #142
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman2005 View Post
Rolex and fast car at 16! You're far ahead of many kids and even adults! Enjoy the ride!
Did I miss where he said the kind of car he drives? Not that I have any doubt it's a fast one....
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 04:10 AM   #143
mementomori1983
"TRF" Member

Just got my First Rolex at 16!

A Rolex is something that most people work very hard for, sometimes for years, or even decades. So when we have someone who shares their Rolex, but who is perceived to not have worked their as hard to get it as others, we get some of the responses we've seen in this thread. It's same reason why people throw around the saying "respect is earned, not given". While I understand the sentiment, I don't think the OP should be judged. We know nothing about him or how he'll lead his life upon getting this watch.

OP, congratulations on the 114060. It is a great reference and a great first Rolex. Keep working hard and I'm sure you'll achieve much more in life. Remember, the watch does not make the man -- the man makes the watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mementomori1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 04:24 AM   #144
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mementomori1983 View Post
A Rolex is something that most people work very hard for, sometimes for years, or even decades. So when we have someone who shares their Rolex, but who is perceived to not have worked their as hard to get it as others, we get some of the responses we've seen in this thread. It's same reason why people throw around the saying "respect is earned, not given". While I understand the sentiment, I don't think the OP should be judged. We know nothing about him or how he'll lead his life upon getting this watch.

OP, congratulations on the 114060. It is a great reference and a great first Rolex. Keep working hard and I'm sure you'll achieve much more in life. Remember, the watch does not make the man -- the man makes the watch.

I completely agree, and I don't recall anyone here judging the kid. It's the parents whose judgement that some here have questioned. In my opinion, the kid has demonstrated maturity beyond his years, has achieved an incredible accomplishment with a perfect SAT score, and actually has much better writing skills than most on this forum. If he continues on this path, he may very well develop the necessary character, perspective, and work ethic to avoid the pitfalls often associated with spoiling children. I hope he does.
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 04:26 AM   #145
Jhowton23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusko.Popov View Post
Nothing against you, but I have my own personal feelings about young folks who are given $10k watches for doing things that they rightly should be doing anyway.

It's all about blood, sweat, and tears bro. Not about how many tutors and s.a.t. prep classes you can take.

Sweaty, bloody, knuckles and tired, weathered hands make a Rolex shine more beautifully than what it ever will worn on a hairless, vernal arm under a bape hoody.

And before someone says it, don't post age and personal circumstances on a public forum if you don't want all those details considered in the various responses. You can otherwise be part of the nameless, faceless, community of "incoming" threads as simply a watch enthusiast.

Anyway, let's face it, you don't care to hear about what I think and you've received enough miguided "congratulations" from others to convince you that the world is somehow supposed to work in that really grotesque way. Some people just grow up differently.

I wish you well bro. But I'll stay out of the celebration of unearned opulence.

I will, however, say, congrats on s.a.t. success. Use your smarts to change the world.

All the best.

I understand where you are coming from- but chill, its just a watch. whether you earn it from mowing lawns, pushing papers, or are gifted one for good grades.... it is just a watch. Let him enjoy it. isn't that what we are all here for anyway?
Jhowton23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 04:37 AM   #146
Alexwwjd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
Congrats on such a beautiful watch. I love it! I don't have a sub but I think it is the watch to have as a first Rolex.

For anything else, I will keep my comments for a parenting forum

Alexwwjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 04:38 AM   #147
tyguy74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Z-Blue
It's quite sad when a 16yr old has more maturity and composure than most of the posters on this thread. We are here to celebrate watches, not cast judgment on the OP nor his parents. Congratulate the young man and move on with life.
tyguy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 04:40 AM   #148
Blue_Lume
Banned

Watch: Alleen Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgjr View Post
FYI, wealth and wherewithal have absolutely nothing to do with the appropriateness or inappropriateness of showering expensive material items on children (16, yes a child....13, just wow). Once again, the major underlying point seems to have been lost on someone.

There is one thing I do agree with in the above post....."sometimes you can't make this up".
I think you missed the point Mike. But thanks for your opinions.

You live in a different world than me and im not interested in what a guy who lives in TAMPA thinks is appropriate.
Blue_Lume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 04:43 AM   #149
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Quote:
Well I didn't think I would create this much of a stir. Long story short, my parents bought it for me, but before you roll your eyes read the rest. I ended up getting a perfect score on my SATs, so they thought that in return of my hard work, they would get me a watch of my choice. I am extremely grateful to be in the situation I am in today financially and able to be in an amazing family. However, I have played around in the stock market and my next watch, a new Sea-Dweller, will be 100% self funded, not bought with "daddy's" money. I may only be 16 but I understand the hard work it takes to get a Rolex and how special it really is to have one.
WOW that is great love that response keep at it and Big Congrats on your Sub and welcome to the forum!
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 04:45 AM   #150
Blue_Lume
Banned

Watch: Alleen Rolex
Guys, a sweet sixteen party comes and goes in a day.
$10,000-$20,000 out the door.

Kid will have the watch forever and it won't lose value like a YSL purse for the same $.

Maybe your kid didn't get the 20k party because you're not making 2M.
It's relative.

Some kids get a ski trip to gstaad for Xmas. Others get best western at Disney.

Where are you in the big picture? Then that is YOUR reality.
Not fair to ding the guy.

Not only that, perfect SAT score.
Fantastic!
Blue_Lume is offline   Reply With Quote